The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 19:50:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351095 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Narrow beams - wtf?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Narrow beams - wtf?  (Read 15459 times)
Chuck Fryer

« on: July 07, 2008, 23:12:31 pm »

How do you guys that run narrow beams deal with the crappy way they drive? I have installled a 2" narrow beam on my 65 ghia and the turning radius blows goats! At full turn it lumps like a car with a spool. I got this beam as a package deal and am thinking about going with a full size beam.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 23:33:58 pm »

I have a 2 inch narrowed beam on the '67 bug and yes the turning radius sucks. I can't imagine what one of those beams with 4 or 6 inches whacked ot of them turn like. Unfortunately, its the only way to get the tires to fit under the fenders with the dropped spindles & disk brakes. If I could get the tires to fit without I would go back to a stock beam.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Speed-Randy

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 23:46:28 pm »

with disc brakes you have to, if youre running drums go back to stock width. running your wheels tucked to far in is just LAME

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 00:38:44 am »

God bless you guys. I'm still tryin' to figure out why someone would want to make their car handle worse in trade for looks.

Huh

Stock beam = the way to go. But... to each their own.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 00:48:24 am »

I guess I should make it clear that this was part of a package deal, it was NOT my first choice for the car!
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 01:12:26 am »

You don't have to do any of that stuff. I run stock width German beam with sway away adjusters. Stock spindles, disc brakes and everything fits, handles ,has stock like ride and looks normal.

I also park at Nick's.
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 01:38:59 am »

There are different reasons for running narrowed beams.. I can't stand the tucked in look where the front wheels are hidden under the car. Just don't get it..
But there are more justified reasons. If using dropped spindles and discs it's a must with most wheels. In that case I would drop the dropped spindles  Wink and just use adjusters.
Then there's the vintage mag wheel offset problem.. I've been running a 2" narrowed beam on my '57 for years because it's the only way to mount the old Rocket wheels besides staying stock height and having them outside the fenders..
Yes, the turning radius is decreased but that doesn't bother me much. You get used to it, the only times I think about it is when I drive another bug that turns as it should.
The thing that can be a pain is bump steer. As it's not my spindles that have the offset but the wheels I have the center of the wheel way out there from the spindle. That can make for some interesting moves when you hit a big bump or hole at high speeds..

The picture shows how hopeless the offset is. We're talking 5" wheels, short axles and 2" narrowed beam.. The front track is still wider than stock..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 01:54:53 am by Rocket-Racing » Logged

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
Cornpanzer

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 01:58:32 am »

Chuck,
you shouldnt be having the jerky turning.  That sounds like an alignment issue to me.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 02:04:44 am »

I did the ole tried and true tape measure alignment on the car. I goes straight when you let go of the wheel at 70+, but I can check it again. Guess I will add that to the list of things to do.
Sarge

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 02:06:26 am »

Gee, I thought it was just me.  I don't feel so bad now!  Love that Renfree plate frame...I did time in the parts dept. in 1973.

DKP III
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 02:40:37 am »

The GTV rubs the outside edge if I take a corner fast, or I have a passenger, or any combination thereof. I am hoping that a HD sway bar will solve my problem without having to dork the beam.
Drop spindles are a must for me... They drive so much better, and I hate how the front wheels get pushed forward when you lower a car with only adjusters.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 03:59:20 am »

You don't have to do any of that stuff. I run stock width German beam with sway away adjusters. Stock spindles, disc brakes and everything fits, handles ,has stock like ride and looks normal.

John are you running ball joints or king/link?

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Bryan67

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 04:25:17 am »

I`ve had two cars and installed 3 beams in other cars. The narrowest was a 2.5 inch beam in my 67. Never had and problems with radius at all. Now, I would never go any narrower than that and am not into the tricycle beam look at all but its the only way to go if you are going to run drop spindles and/or disc brakes.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 07:41:13 am »

John are you running ball joints or king/link?
                                                             King/ link.

I also park at Nick's.
Turtle001

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 08:28:10 am »

There are different reasons for running narrowed beams.. I can't stand the tucked in look where the front wheels are hidden under the car. Just don't get it..
But there are more justified reasons. If using dropped spindles and discs it's a must with most wheels. In that case I would drop the dropped spindles  Wink and just use adjusters.
Then there's the vintage mag wheel offset problem.. I've been running a 2" narrowed beam on my '57 for years because it's the only way to mount the old Rocket wheels besides staying stock height and having them outside the fenders..
Yes, the turning radius is decreased but that doesn't bother me much. You get used to it, the only times I think about it is when I drive another bug that turns as it should.
The thing that can be a pain is bump steer. As it's not my spindles that have the offset but the wheels I have the center of the wheel way out there from the spindle. That can make for some interesting moves when you hit a big bump or hole at high speeds..

The picture shows how hopeless the offset is. We're talking 5" wheels, short axles and 2" narrowed beam.. The front track is still wider than stock..

+1

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Mike Maize

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 16:38:58 pm »

Chuck are you running dropped spindles? I ask because I have only ever had this problem with one car and it didn't run dropped spindles. After wasting an ENTIRE day on it...I concluded that the angle of the tie rods is exaggerated by both shortening and torsion adjustment lowering. One of either has never made a noticable affect (like you mentioned) on the steering of any of the bugs I have modified. However the car without the dropped spindles hops/drags a tire on tight turns. The Ackerman angle is just too affected by short and exagerrated angle tie rods. I suspect, although I haven't tried it yet, that a tie rod flip kit would make it FAR less noticable.  My 2inch beam with lowering spindles works as well as any stocker I have driven. My 3 inch beam on my gasser look 67 has a slightly decreased turning radius but NO hoppy/dragging B.S and still handles OK over 100MPH. In my experience spending a lot of time setting my steering stops as far as possible before it rubs yeilded big rewards on the turning radius in both cars. Let me know if you figure it out....I have always wanted to get that "other" car I was talking about straightned out Wink
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 16:41:24 pm by Mike Maize » Logged
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 22:17:49 pm »

I have the flip kit on my '67 and found I could not use it since my car is not super low. The pass side tie rod hit the bottom of the gas tank at ride height.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Chuck Fryer

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 18:09:00 pm »

Chuck are you running dropped spindles? I ask because I have only ever had this problem with one car and it didn't run dropped spindles. After wasting an ENTIRE day on it...I concluded that the angle of the tie rods is exaggerated by both shortening and torsion adjustment lowering. One of either has never made a noticable affect (like you mentioned) on the steering of any of the bugs I have modified. However the car without the dropped spindles hops/drags a tire on tight turns. The Ackerman angle is just too affected by short and exagerrated angle tie rods. I suspect, although I haven't tried it yet, that a tie rod flip kit would make it FAR less noticable.  My 2inch beam with lowering spindles works as well as any stocker I have driven. My 3 inch beam on my gasser look 67 has a slightly decreased turning radius but NO hoppy/dragging B.S and still handles OK over 100MPH. In my experience spending a lot of time setting my steering stops as far as possible before it rubs yeilded big rewards on the turning radius in both cars. Let me know if you figure it out....I have always wanted to get that "other" car I was talking about straightned out Wink

Mike-

No dropped spindles at this time, but I might try that route. They would move the wheels out just enough and also give a much better ride. I guess that will be something to do over the winter.
Mike Maize

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 18:45:09 pm »

Hey Chuck, I'll bet it will also cure the spool feeling too. .....
Hotrodvw

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 14:50:25 pm »

Weird.............i run a 2' beam, but w/ CB's wide 5 disc brakes.  The turning radius doens't seem that bad to me......the ride on the other hand... Roll Eyes

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Neil Davies

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 15:36:51 pm »

Weird.............i run a 2' beam, but w/ CB's wide 5 disc brakes.  The turning radius doens't seem that bad to me......the ride on the other hand... Roll Eyes

2' - a full 24 inches narrower than stock?! No wonder the ride isn't that great! Wink Seriously though, do you also have the dropped spindles with the beam and discs? Because that's the set up I've got for my split and I thought it should be ok! Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Mike Lawless

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 16:06:15 pm »

Chuck
We run a 2" narrowed beam on Cindy's convertible Ghia, link pin with dropped spindles and 4 1/2" flat four repop fuchs. That car rides and handles as well or better than any VW I've ever owned. However, it's still low enough to where the front tires (145 Firestones) rub the fenders at full lock.

If you don't go the drop spindle route, perhaps the other suggestion of flipping the tie rods to the underside of the steering arms would help.

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Hotrodvw

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 06:33:52 am »

2' - a full 24 inches narrower than stock?! No wonder the ride isn't that great! Wink Seriously though, do you also have the dropped spindles with the beam and discs? Because that's the set up I've got for my split and I thought it should be ok! Smiley

Yeah yeah yeah.....Narrowed 2 INCHES.   Wink  I am using Cb's drop spindles, and discs.  I think I'll end up swpping the 2" for a 3 or 4 inch.....I've gotta do some measuring first. 

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Clinton DdK

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2008, 02:12:39 am »

My 56 sedan seam to have a real nice turning radius with a 3" narrowed beam and a Quaife LOL Grin
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 02:41:27 am »

just something to check, when putting beam together with urethane bushing's  hone or ream so trailing arms do not have to be hammered back in , stock they slid in but tight and rotated freelly. if not it could be part of the rigid ride , and the shorter but stiffer torstion bars. you can get rid of them to balance that problem. just my no cent's

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008, 17:05:28 pm »

Roll Eyes Bet that has the turning radius of the QE2.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008, 17:38:17 pm »

That falls into the category of "I'm stupid and I can prove it!"

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2008, 18:43:38 pm »

Now THIS person has the right idea... if you're gonna narrow the front beam, why not go all of the way?

Take it to the upmost hilt. Didn't think that many of those types of cars existed outside of the U.S. That's the first late model that I've seen um... "slammed."

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 18:49:22 pm »

That falls into the category of "I'm stupid and I can prove it!"
i agree don  Wink
f¤#k hoodride  rust is a crime  Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 01:02:51 am »

Now THIS person has the right idea... if you're gonna narrow the front beam, why not go all of the way?

Oh, I thought you meant...

"If you're gonna narrow the front beam, why not crack open a beer."

Cheesy

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: