The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 15:54:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  is Cal Look about tech or style?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: is Cal Look about tech or style?  (Read 9042 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: July 22, 2008, 17:43:57 pm »

question for the day..... have fun and run with it.
Austin Larsen

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 18:08:35 pm »

id say more style than tech
but def both

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 18:11:43 pm »

Its a blending of the two. Otherwise a ratrod with a 2 liter or a GFK car with a 1200 would be cal-look.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Prowagen

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 19:31:16 pm »

In the day when it was invented it was Tech to make your VW quick
Now its style as most of us are doing what those guys were back in the 70's.

If it were tech all cal lookers would run EFI, Turbos etc and 48IDA's would be long gone.
wolfswest

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 19:37:01 pm »

it's a style about the tech from back in the days...  Wink

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 20:34:21 pm »

Q: Is Cal Look about tech or style?

A: Neither... it's about the car owners' personal desires/tastes regarding the car(s). Style has been done to death. The less is more theory gets my vote.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
TOM / EINHEIT 11

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 20:39:58 pm »

A: Neither... it's about the car owners' personal desires/tastes regarding the car(s). Style has been done to death. The less is more theory gets my vote.

yeeeez. you are so right................................................................
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 21:04:14 pm »

Could it be getting BORING ?? I don't know, i love the engine stuff..  DKK/Fred  gets my vote as well. Then you get the discussion Early Look or Late Look. I made my mistakes, trying to convert to early look. It didn't work for me, thanks to the Lounge, but now i know certain rules and still can do my own thing. If people don't like my car, fuck 'em it's my thing and i'm happy to stroke that thing in my garage and feel good about it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 21:16:53 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 22:49:22 pm »

Thank God for you , Mark!

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 22:56:07 pm »

no way guys, it's all about ordering the "cal look drag car kit" online and putting it together this weekend.

I'm ordering the Sea Blue '64 Bug kit with mags and Weber engine.  Grin
team97
DKK

3M TA3

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 23:53:08 pm »

no way guys, it's all about ordering the "cal look drag car kit" online and putting it together this weekend.

Mine came with alloys

Der Kleiner Panzers III
D.K.K.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 00:18:46 am »

Anything I say will get me in a whole lotta trouble!

I also park at Nick's.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 00:22:49 am »

Do tell !!!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Sam K

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 00:57:56 am »

As far as I know, the California look must be the most documented style of modifying a single make of automobile, so I'd have to say tech takes a back seat to style. I'd go so far as to call it a way of life!   
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 01:00:53 am »

I forgot the zoso sticker in the 1/4 windows
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 01:21:47 am »

[Napoleon Dynamite voice]Yesssssssssssssssss. That's a pretty sweet Cal Looker. Ever take it offa any sweet jumps?[/Napoleon Dynamite voice]

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 01:37:22 am »

I forgot the zoso sticker in the 1/4 windows
                                                  Check out the last photo I posted in the old thread about my car.

[Napoleon Dynamite voice]Yesssssssssssssssss. That's a pretty sweet Cal Looker. Ever take it offa any sweet jumps?[/Napoleon Dynamite voice]
                            "Spicoli's voice" Nah dude, but I drove it up the curb in front of Circle Porsche about 28 years ago!

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 02:18:42 am »

"Dang!.....  you got berms, Webers, A1 header..... luck- eeeee"

Rennsurfer

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 06:04:10 am »

"Spicoli's voice" Nah dude, but I drove it up the curb in front of Circle Porsche about 28 years ago!

HAHA!! You did NOT do that to your Cal Looker... did you, John? While I was working there? I would've remembered THAT.

HAHA!! Good one.

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 06:10:09 am »

HAHA!! You did NOT do that to your Cal Looker... did you, John? While I was working there? I would've remembered THAT.

HAHA!! Good one.

Oh yes I did! You were still at Autohaus, and I had to buy two new chromies from you. Some guy in a truck cut me off in the traffic circle and up the curb I went turning two wheels into taco shells.

I also park at Nick's.
GreenTom

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 08:20:46 am »

In the day when it was invented it was Tech to make your VW quick
Now its style as most of us are doing what those guys were back in the 70's.

If it were tech all cal lookers would run EFI, Turbos etc and 48IDA's would be long gone.

holly words Smiley couldn't say it better.

cal-lookers with turbo EFI, EFI can be named new Age Cal-look ;P or a XXI century Cal-look. If you're makeing cal-look like in 70ties, with (or without) all that stuff in side or outside Youre making a replica of that what was going on back than. You can't say: "if they would have those things (EFI etc) back then they would use it... " now is now then was then Smiley makeing turbo EFI "perfect" cal-looker is the same thing as putting diesel to a 69 Mustang Tongue insted of V8 Cheesy (a litle bit hardkore comparison).
thats my opinion. wanna have a cal-looker make it as it was back then, wanna put fancy toys in it taken from star trek Tongue you will get New age Cal-looker Cheesy  (I'll be kille in a moment probobly Tongue)

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
plasticblack

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 08:29:08 am »

For me it's 'Style' for sure.

Owning a Beetles back in the 70's was all about creating your own style. Even if it's your own take of an already created style?

I was always desperate to make my Beetles stand out look different from the rest and that had to be 'Style' only because back then I was 'Technically Challenged'..

Bolting on some wide wheels (or mounting them round the wrong way Shocked)  and some stripes, definatley came under the 'Style' heading??

Or at least, I thought so at the time?

Often my results were less than succesful it must be said.. Grin

The 'Tech' was what ever was available back then. Which for most wasn't much.

But as we all surely know by now...    necessity is the mother of invention.     

Hence the birth of this 'Scene' we all love so much. Smiley
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 08:31:56 am »

Ahhh And I thouht it all was "How you stand by your car" Smiley.........................

on a more serous note: It all boils down to 50% owners attitude(style)...50% performance(tech).....and 50% placement of wheels(style and tech)....and last but not least 50% "The rake"(style)........I think I got it all figured out couse that is more then 100%, so you need a lot of time and energy and then some taste or to compensate for lack of taste even more time and energy to redo things until they end up looking good or you give up Smiley
bugkeeper

oldskool n numetal

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 10:38:07 am »

Well it is neither, it became a religion and at that it seems to be on the edge of bigotry.  Shocked  I am serious, there is so much intolerance in this scene. There are tons of self-appointed style policemen out there. In a sense it is sickening.  Sad  Where did all the good custom ideas go?
Don't get me wrong, I love the Cal Look "Style" but I miss the "Tech Part" in it. Today the most ingenious thing seems to be Rats, how creative is this? You go to a bug show and who wins the show and shine? Some rust bucket...

I am trying to mix style and tech. I commited an outrage by replacing my true to all specs Cal Look Mouse Motor with a ton of fun turbo motor, and guess what, I give a sh** about style police.  Grin

My 2 cents

Cheers
Dom  Cool

If you think sex is a pain in the ass, try a diffrent position...

Beauty is only skin deep, and the world is full of thin skinned people.
folkevogn

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 11:09:13 am »

[Napoleon Dynamite]  "Vote for Pedro...."(AKA DKK Fred)

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
TOM / EINHEIT 11

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 15:08:07 pm »

Well it is neither, it became a religion and at that it seems to be on the edge of bigotry.  Shocked  I am serious, there is so much intolerance in this scene. There are tons of self-appointed style policemen out there. In a sense it is sickening.  Sad  Where did all the good custom ideas go?
Don't get me wrong, I love the Cal Look "Style" but I miss the "Tech Part" in it. Today the most ingenious thing seems to be Rats, how creative is this? You go to a bug show and who wins the show and shine? Some rust bucket...

I am trying to mix style and tech. I commited an outrage by replacing my true to all specs Cal Look Mouse Motor with a ton of fun turbo motor, and guess what, I give a sh** about style police.  Grin

My 2 cents

Cheers
Dom  Cool

forgive him....he`s SWISS and he has its new powerplant build in da BUG. The power of his Turboengine takes off all its blood in the brain....hahaha. Im just kidding....nice, have U here at the lounge too.

Sali Big D ( hoff mir gsehn uns bald wieder mol....haang loose )
Ivan

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 15:34:17 pm »

My guess is that the clue is probably in the name of the 'style'... California... Look.

But then I'm sure you'll agree that something can look stylish, something can look fast and something can look as though it has attitude.

Something can also look as though it's a drag racing VW on the street... And to me that is NOT what Cal Look is about - To me it's about NOT 'looking' obviously fast, but being able to hoodwink those who think they have a fast car by the administration a short, sharp, shock when the lights go green!   

Subtle - with a sting it the tail - that's my rendition of Cal Look. 
bugkeeper

oldskool n numetal

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 16:05:28 pm »

Forgive me Ivan, what you discribe as your rendition of Cal Look is i.m.o. the description of a Sleeper. Steve Beecher's bug would then be a prime example of a Cal Looker  Roll Eyes
I like Subtle - with a sting it the tail myself, there is nothing cooler than fight ricers on the street.  Grin

Cheers Dom  Cool

If you think sex is a pain in the ass, try a diffrent position...

Beauty is only skin deep, and the world is full of thin skinned people.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 20:23:46 pm »

Which period of the callook?

I think its more the style then tech.
Everybody wants to copy the style of the 70's. Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 20:59:53 pm »

My guess is that the clue is probably in the name of the 'style'... California... Look.

But then I'm sure you'll agree that something can look stylish, something can look fast and something can look as though it has attitude.

Something can also look as though it's a drag racing VW on the street... And to me that is NOT what Cal Look is about - To me it's about NOT 'looking' obviously fast, but being able to hoodwink those who think they have a fast car by the administration a short, sharp, shock when the lights go green!   

Subtle - with a sting it the tail - that's my rendition of Cal Look. 

Street racing and Cal-look is like gun fights and the wild west, they sort of go together Smiley .....In my opinion, as I do not take part of this anymore, is that it is rather easy to get a street race going when you are driving a Cal-look car (just sand bag the 2-3 first times and then set up the real race).....I even know of guys that have raced motorcycles Smiley claiming "It is just and old Volkswagen and I only want to try the car and no one else is racing".......I loved the late Gene Berg telling some Dodge boys that "they should tell their friends that they just beat a Volkswagen!!!!!" ....You can't loose in a Volkswagen!!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: