The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 04:33:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350885 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  48 IDA Spitting Fuel - Help!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 48 IDA Spitting Fuel - Help!  (Read 4023 times)
cal-look.net

« on: September 26, 2008, 09:11:39 am »

Hey guys, I have been offline for a while - job hunting!!

I need some help with my carbs.

I was having some trouble starting my bug, strong smell of fuel, so I figured I was just flooding the engine.

Then I noticed fuel dripping from the left hand side carb! not good!

I cleaned it up, and checked for leaks - nothing.

So I tried again with my Dad watching the carb. STOP he shouted! there is fuel shooting out of the top of the carb!!!

So, before I bother Mr Clark at Wolfsburg Performance - is there anything simple I can check? - it is coming out of the jets at the top of the carb - the barrels are also fillling up!

All very messy and annoying cos the weather is great here and I want to take my Dad for a spin!

Cheers all!

Steve

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 09:14:47 am by cal-look.net » Logged
folkevogn

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:37:50 am »

Too mutch fuel pressure or maybe you need to adjust the float ball in your carb. Maybe not the answer to your problem but worth checking out

11.96 @ 180kmh - SCC 2013 Grin
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:23:20 pm »

Steve, if it's filling the barrels you can be pretty much sure its washed all the oil off the bores of the cylinders, and more than likely entered the oil system too. Before you fire it up, do a complete oil change.

My guess as to the cause is the same as Folkevogn said - float ball (needle valve) in the carb.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
cal-look.net

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:48:29 pm »

cheers guys, the fuel was on top of the disky things and I mopped it up without opening the throttle Wink what are they called? butterflies? throttle valves?

saying the barrels where filling up was a bit of an exaggeration!!

Another oil change would suck! just done one - can't afford more oil!!!

I will have a look this afternoon Smiley
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:53:59 pm by cal-look.net » Logged
lawrence

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 17:08:50 pm »

One of my IDAs was dripping fuel from the accelerator pump squirter, which is that little nozzle that sticks out into the venturi of the carb. The bean shaped, cam on the underside of the carb was causing this and needed to be ground down so that the accelerator pump arm sat in the trough of the cam. I was told this is a common problem and you might want to check this area. Hopefully my explaination makes sense.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Taylor

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 00:54:51 am »

sounds like the needle and seat to me. if one does it and the other doesnt.   Did it run good before but now like ass?  If so take the top of the carb,  pull out the needle and seat, clean it with carb clean blow it out with air and then WD-40 it and work the needle a bit.  Then back together.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 20:54:41 pm »

Hey guys, I have been offline for a while - job hunting!!

I need some help with my carbs.

I was having some trouble starting my bug, strong smell of fuel, so I figured I was just flooding the engine.

Then I noticed fuel dripping from the left hand side carb! not good!

I cleaned it up, and checked for leaks - nothing.

So I tried again with my Dad watching the carb. STOP he shouted! there is fuel shooting out of the top of the carb!!!

So, before I bother Mr Clark at Wolfsburg Performance - is there anything simple I can check? - it is coming out of the jets at the top of the carb - the barrels are also fillling up!

All very messy and annoying cos the weather is great here and I want to take my Dad for a spin!

Cheers all!

Steve

did you ever try "cleaning" the carburetor by spraying down jet wells with compressed air?  Shocked if not, DON'T!
If you have, you may have damaged the thin brass float. Once it gets deformed, the carb will flood. You'd be surprised how often this happens. Yep, I've done it too.... luckily, had a spare pair of floats up in cabinet after I filled one carb up with gas.  Roll Eyes
Bruce

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 04:05:31 am »

One of my IDAs was dripping fuel from the accelerator pump squirter, which is that little nozzle that sticks out into the venturi of the carb. The bean shaped, cam on the underside of the carb was causing this and needed to be ground down so that the accelerator pump arm sat in the trough of the cam. I was told this is a common problem and you might want to check this area. Hopefully my explaination makes sense.
Another cure is to give it a bit more idle advance.  This allows you to close the throttle plates a bit more at idle, pulling the pump cam further off the arm.
Berg makes an adjustable pump cam too.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: