The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:51:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Chassis number help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Chassis number help  (Read 4249 times)
JSL

« on: October 21, 2008, 21:39:14 pm »

Hi guys,

I wonder if one of you can help?

Ive been offered a clean chassis to help finish my project and Im trying to figure out what year it is.

Ive been given the following numbers 108****2 which doesnt quite make sense when Ive looked at a few sites like the ones below

http://www.lightner.net/ybdb/serno.html

http://www.vwoc.euromarques.com/serial_numbers/t1_to_1970.htm

http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/specgeninfo/chassisnumbers.htm

If Im reading these tables correctly would you say this is a 1948-1949 chassis? I know its meant to be an early chassis but that seems VERY early to me!

Can anyone shed any light?

I have some pics I can email to people, but I dont want to post them here incase I upset the seller. This is not my intention I just would like to know what I might be buying.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!

J

67worshipper

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 21:41:29 pm »

are you english?

vw hot rod heaven
JSL

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 21:51:08 pm »

Hi

Hehe yes I am :-)

Why is that?

Ive no idea if the chassis originated here though?

Cheers,

J

Sarge

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 21:58:01 pm »

Here's a production survey from  an old Type I VW parts catalog....

DKP III
JSL

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 22:04:13 pm »

Thanks Sarge,

But again Im a little confused as Ive been given 8 digits as a chassis number and this document refers to 7 & 9 digit numbers....

Im guessing he got it wrong and its only 7 digits but that seems too early doesnt it? I mean are there really that many 1947/48 bugs about?

J
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 22:05:54 pm by JSL » Logged

Sarge

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 22:39:16 pm »

Thanks Sarge,

But again Im a little confused as Ive been given 8 digits as a chassis number and this document refers to 7 & 9 digit numbers....

Im guessing he got it wrong and its only 7 digits but that seems too early doesnt it? I mean are there really that many 1947/48 bugs about?

J

Try having the guy read the Vin # from under the back seat cushion by the shift coupler hole.  The Vin plate in the spare well gets banged up and could be hard to read.

DKP III
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 23:19:27 pm »

are you english?

r u
JSL

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 23:25:25 pm »

Hi

Hehe yes I am :-)

Why is that?

Ive no idea if the chassis originated here though?

Cheers,

J

Yes I am English. But I dont know if the chassis was originally destined for the UK, incase that effects the chassis number?

JSL

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 23:29:49 pm »

Try having the guy read the Vin # from under the back seat cushion by the shift coupler hole.  The Vin plate in the spare well gets banged up and could be hard to read.

[/quote]

Hey Sarge,

Its just the chassis the guy has, no body involved so this is the actual Vin number by the shift coupler hole and under where the back seat would be.

I might have to check with this guy again as the VIN numbers hes given me dont make sense to me.

J
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 23:31:59 pm by JSL » Logged

Tobi/DFL

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 08:55:27 am »

Hi J,

send an email to Björn Schewe. He might be able to help:

schewe@vw-classicparts.de

Bye,

Tobi
Russell

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 09:05:05 am »

you can date it by the handbrake mounting/pedal assembly/rear handbrake cables and brakes ? some photos would help, my guess is its a 54 and a single number looks like 2 numbers.... if your in the UK you really want a V5 for this.

Best Regards

Russell
JSL

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 09:29:50 am »

Hi J,

send an email to Björn Schewe. He might be able to help:

schewe@vw-classicparts.de

Bye,

Tobi

Thanks Tobi, 

I have emailed him, hopefully he can help. ;-)

I will keep this thread updated

J

Neil Davies

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 09:34:07 am »

J, if it's a 40's pan, it'll be very different in the shock mount area to your oval pan. The back shocks on my '51 are tiny, and I think 40's cars were even smaller or even lever arm ones. have a look there to see if it's the same as yours.

The Samba galleries are pretty good for looking for early floorpan pics too.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
JSL

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 02:15:19 am »

Hey guys,

Ive made a bit of progress here!

I managed to speak to the guy who said the chassis number is actually 84**92 and that the '1' at the beginning was from the VIN plate. He thinks that the VIN plates all had a 1 put in front of the chassis number at that time.

So looks like its a 54-55 chassis. Would you guys agree?

Thanks to everyone for their help on this one, I know its quite a boring subject!  Undecided

James

Russell

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 20:54:41 pm »

JSL

From the pictures, yes it sure does look like a 54ish pan.

What colour is the shell ? Ultra Marron Metallic ? anyway very cool ride cant wait to see it completed, good luck.

Best Regards

Russell
JSL

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 12:41:32 pm »

JSL

From the pictures, yes it sure does look like a 54ish pan.

What colour is the shell ? Ultra Marron Metallic ? anyway very cool ride cant wait to see it completed, good luck.

Hey Ritchie,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look. I cant quiet remember everything I told you in my last post, but I finally got to speak to the guy (he gave me his number) he just one of those people thats not very good on email I believe. He was fine on the phone. Said its a USA import and that he has all the paperwork so all sounds good! I waiting to hear from two other leads but am hoping to have a look this weekend. Fingers crossed.

The colour.... a few people have asked about this. Its my own choice of colour (Not a VW :-S) 'Boston Brown' I thought it would be nice with a few black details like the wheels, maybe handles 1/4lights? and a deep/wine red'ish interior (if that works? We shall see).

And a BIG thanks to everyone for their advice & help on this one.

I will post some pics up in the 'In Da Works' section when things progress and there is actually something to post about ;-)

Cheers,

James

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: