The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 15:23:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Fanshrouds??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Fanshrouds??  (Read 18532 times)
glenn

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2010, 04:38:42 am »

Ok guys, I'm at the point of buying a fanshroud for my new 1915 engine. What fanshrouds are good to use? I know a 181 shroud is good but I like the look of a 30/36hp shroud. I know SCAT and CB sell a black 36hp fanshroud with doghouse. Are they any good?

I don't believe a 36hp shroud came with a doghouse from VW??

Also I want to know if I should use a stock or a welded fan?

the 181 shroud is way overrated in my opinion. first jake tested and found they cool just the same as the normal doghouse.

second, a lot are telling the vanes are slightly different than normal doghouse to compensate for the lack of heaters horns, makes sense but not a single pic i have seen to confirm this. so untill a pic is shown, it is just science fiction to me.
When I switched from a stock fresh air dog house shroud to a 181 I did not notice any improved cooler. My main reason is for the looks. But i'd take a stock late model over a aftermarket 36hp any day.

I hate that the alternator backing plate screws are not correctly aligned on the aftermarket shrouds. That makes mounting the Berg fan mount linkage difficult.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2010, 05:19:23 am »

I hate that the alternator backing plate screws are not correctly aligned on the aftermarket shrouds. That makes mounting the Berg fan mount linkage difficult.

Agreed. Nothing better than factory engine cooling components. Only thing I've ever used.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Deanodynosaurs

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2010, 17:56:54 pm »

Thanks all for your responses. Smiley

It seems to be the general concensus, that whilst SCAT fanshrouds work well, with many here running them, they mounting holes for the fan plate are off which can cause problems with mounting a berg linkage. OEM stuff seems to be the best in terms of cooling, but as said there are clearance issues especially when running big duel carbs.

Cooling is gonna be crucial on the motor i'm running as it 10.5 to 1 compression ratio, and i do want to do reasonable milage with it. I am running a external filter, and will probably fit a external cooler as well as the standard one. I also really like the idea of a standard thermostat and flaos on warm up.

I'm really tempted to modfy a later style OEM fanhousing to a 36 hp style, as done in the link i posted. (http://www.newlancsvwclub.co.uk/Project_pages/Projectpages_page0002.htm)

It seems the perfect way of keeping the fit of a OEM fan, including all the internal vains, and fan mounting holes, but with no air horns, and in a 36hp style

Just wonderd whats everbody think of this modification?

Dude  Cool

Photos stolen from above website!

bugnut68

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 18:33:25 pm »

I bought a Scat doghouse shroud with no heater outlets for my 2017 build, partially because of more room for the dual 45 DRLAs and partially aesthetics (looks).  I'll admit I'm as big a proponent of maintaining all original German sheetmetal whenever possible, but I'll also be honest enough to admit that for all intents and purposes this particular project engine will be, at best a seasonal and very occasional driver and bracket racer.  I'm figuring I'll be bored of the engine before I ever wear it out, and will probably build something bigger or faster! Grin

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2010, 21:03:10 pm »

that mod is pretty cool. funnily i incorporated that myself when fabbing my own doghouse from a 1600 and a 36hp with air filter recess a few months ago. just needs bondo and paint to get it sorted now  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
1957lowlight

Philip Steenackers

« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2010, 20:27:17 pm »

Thanks all for your responses. Smiley

It seems to be the general concensus, that whilst SCAT fanshrouds work well, with many here running them, they mounting holes for the fan plate are off which can cause problems with mounting a berg linkage. OEM stuff seems to be the best in terms of cooling, but as said there are clearance issues especially when running big duel carbs.

Cooling is gonna be crucial on the motor i'm running as it 10.5 to 1 compression ratio, and i do want to do reasonable milage with it. I am running a external filter, and will probably fit a external cooler as well as the standard one. I also really like the idea of a standard thermostat and flaos on warm up.

I'm really tempted to modfy a later style OEM fanhousing to a 36 hp style, as done in the link i posted. (http://www.newlancsvwclub.co.uk/Project_pages/Projectpages_page0002.htm)

It seems the perfect way of keeping the fit of a OEM fan, including all the internal vains, and fan mounting holes, but with no air horns, and in a 36hp style

Just wonderd whats everbody think of this modification?

Dude  Cool

Photos stolen from above website!

This looks realy good and based original.  Thats the best of both worlds

Philip
Flatline-Lowriders
Belgium
Ron Greiner

DKP II

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2010, 03:02:54 am »

scat 36 HP doghouse fan shrouds have all 9 internal air veins like a factory doghouse does
their 36 HP std shrouds have 6 internal air veins plus both accept the doghouse fan's
Clark @ Awesome Powdercoat in Ohio had the air venturi's re made and has them for sale
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2010, 19:35:46 pm »

I have all three fan housings ( Thing,40hp& Scat 36)...the thing is a perfect fit..What can I say !!!...the 40hp also fits perfect but theres the cooler issue... Now the Scat also fits perfect but like what Frenchy & Deano said the Scat does fit good but there are to small problems ...

1st...there is the problem with the alternator holes as far as running the Berg linkage it is missing the holes for the coil. So you have to impervise something for them ..!...

2nd.. Like Deano says about the fit of the oil cooler at the bottom of it there is a gap which I know there was a article in HotVw's about a fix for this !....Which may not matter ...? I don't know ..?

I have no issues using the Scat as it is well done just have those small mods that need to be done !

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2010, 06:26:41 am »

I am running a modified SCAT on my motor.  I have run them before and make all the corrections required.  They cool fine.  I modified my BERG Cross Bar angle piece and had it re-powdercoated. It was no big deal. In the final analysis, with all the mods made, it cools fine.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: