The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 22:28:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350832 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  engine compartments
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: engine compartments  (Read 14616 times)
CHR!S/DVK

« on: January 26, 2009, 17:50:01 pm »

i'm nearing the point where my car gets painted, as well as my engine compartment.
i emptied it out yesterday and it looks like this:

i'm still in doubt what to do with the compartment, i was thinking of a back plate to put some stuff like my breatherbox and some electronics plugs on.
also, i don't know if i should put some isolation back in there. is it only there for isolating sound?

tell me some ideas about the best and nicest way to take care of the engine compartment
and let me see some pictures.

thanks

Member of DVK - Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Brian Silva

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 18:13:03 pm »

I wanted to go for that clean look so ground all the clips off of the firewall and prepared the compartment to be painted. It really depends on the look you are going for. I have seen firewalls with engine turned stainless steel firewalls that look pretty slick as well. The insulation in the engine compartment is mostly there for sound. I will post some pics later today.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 18:15:05 pm by Brian Silva » Logged
CHR!S/DVK

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 18:20:49 pm »

I wanted to go for that clean look so ground all the clips off of the firewall and prepared the compartment to be painted. It really depends on the look you are going for. I have seen firewalls with engine turned stainless steel firewalls that look pretty slick as well. The insulation in the engine compartment is mostly there for sound. I will post some pics later today.

i almost forgot that i have to remove the clips.
and for the style, as you say, a firewall can be very cool, but i like the curves in the backwall as well.
i'm eager to see some pictures!

Member of DVK - Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 21:28:17 pm »

whatever avenue to take as far as firewall, be doubly sure you are certain that it is secured tightly to body of car. I've seen a few "disaster stories" of motors dying a horrible death because the firewall was allowed to flap loose and ended up getting inhaled by the engine fan, sealing against front opening for fan intake, robbing the motor of all its cooling air.
I had this happen on my way out of town on a roadtrip 18 years ago.... luckily, I had a head temp gauge and noticed it was running WAY above where it normally did.... something was obviously very wrong. Pulled off highway, popped decklid, and lo and behold, the soundproofing was right up and over the air intake on the front of the shroud. I used the factory clips too. I would use the factory clips along with 1" fender washers and self tapping screws to secure the stock tarboard.
An old friend of mine wasn't so lucky. He was driving from NothernCalif to Carlsbad back in 1999 for Drag Day in his '73 convertible Bug, with 1776. when he met us at the hotel in Irvine he said "somewhere before Grapevine the motor lost a lot of power" (Grapevine is a long, steep, extreme grade that snakes over the Transverse Range, the mountains that separate So Cal from the san Joaquin Valley), and when he let it come to lower rpms, the oil light was ON (not flickering).
I opened decklid and sure enough, the engine fan had eaten the tarboard. It was tight up against the fan housing. He tried starting the motor, and by the sound of the "no effort" starter (freewheeling) I knew the motor was gone. Cooked. Dead. Nothing Left.
I popped valve covers off and the wall of Death Stench wafted out (burnt engine oil). It was fried. The insides of the heads were golden brown.
Everything in that motor was junk. Rod bearings... gone. Heads...every seat sunk. Exhaust valves were ghost white with blue on stems just under heads. Rings were siezed in ring grooves. Rockers stuck on shafts (which were blue). Case... spread @ center main and case savers were pulled. It was very sad.
My point here is BE CAREFUL
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 22:16:21 pm »

the idea of using 1 or 2 layers of b-quiet sound deadening topped off with an aluminum firewall is what i might opt for...
i think i'd either use pop rivets to secure the firewall, however, in the absence of a pop rivet gun washers and parker screws are another option. i only wonder how to then "bolt" on a small breather box... any ideas?

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Sam K

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 02:45:24 am »

I can appreciate a nicely painted firewall, but I prefer the look of the stock insulation in the engine compartment. I had experience similar to Jim, though, so I always put a few of sheet metal scews with very large daimeter flat washers through the firewall in the area behind the fan. As long as the engine is installed, you can't see them. Cheap insurance.
lawrence

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 02:58:35 am »

The next time I have my engine out I am going to put some type of insulation on the firewall of the engine bay. My engine is loud and I want the sound level in the cockpit to go down. Right now it is painted a gray color to contrast the black engine tin.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 03:31:59 am »

Redwagon, I fully agree with everything that you posted. Next time my engine's out, I'm gonna add the extra screws and fender washers behind the fan area... out of sight.

I've always had new factory insulation in my two Cal Look cars. Here's a recent shot of my '67.

And my '66.

I dig the look of a painted firewall... but for my own cars, I prefer the function and quietness of the factory stuff on there. Good luck with what you end up with, Chris. At the end of the day, it's YOUR car... so you have to be happy with it. Please keep us updated when you decide.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 04:29:30 am »

For those of you who want the quite but are concerned about the tarboard getting sucked up by the fan, how about more insulation on the interior side of the firewall? You could pull the carpet back and use some sound deadening like dynamat or similar and just glue the carpet back.
bilboa2

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 05:30:45 am »

Also have had a friend chase heating problems forever, but when he reved motor, insulation sucked in near fan.. harder to diagnose than you think. Here is a pic of my car (5 yrs ago)when it had a 2332 w 1.3/4 with berg heater boxes, i did the firewall with sound deadner (dyno mat?), then made engine turned firewall one swirl/turn at a time.Luckily only one error deep behind at bottom. New motor, 2442 in works,(dyno'd 182 hp at 4500 feet W belt and muff) thing fanshroud, going to empi cross bar style linkage, fuel lines behind shroud, brand new style compufire on firewall. cleaner look i hope. empi eyebrow decklid allows big berg velocity stacks. Wants and ideas change as I see other neat engine compartment ideas. Oh yeah, ck out eng lites doug berg placed in tin.bill
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 06:21:46 am »

Bill can you please show us more pics of your car? Your car is one of my favorites and deserves to be on the front cover of a magazine. There are soo many trinkets on your car that can easily be missed. Anyone have the pic. of it parked in front of the legend party at hotel in Ontario the day before Bug In 32? Cool

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
stealth67vw

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 06:24:22 am »

Are those 155s up front? Looks bitchen.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
bilboa2

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 08:37:58 am »

155's up front, newer nevada lisc plates say "60s look". bill
Sarge

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 14:31:17 pm »

Lookin' good, Bill! Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 17:22:57 pm »

anothea nevada brotha

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 17:58:01 pm »

Also have had a friend chase heating problems forever, but when he reved motor, insulation sucked in near fan.. harder to diagnose than you think. Here is a pic of my car (5 yrs ago)when it had a 2332 w 1.3/4 with berg heater boxes, i did the firewall with sound deadner (dyno mat?), then made engine turned firewall one swirl/turn at a time.Luckily only one error deep behind at bottom. New motor, 2442 in works,(dyno'd 182 hp at 4500 feet W belt and muff) thing fanshroud, going to empi cross bar style linkage, fuel lines behind shroud, brand new style compufire on firewall. cleaner look i hope. empi eyebrow decklid allows big berg velocity stacks. Wants and ideas change as I see other neat engine compartment ideas. Oh yeah, ck out eng lites doug berg placed in tin.bill

Bill, I have to say your car is the best looking Cal Look car I have seen in a long long LONG time. That car is just about PERFECT.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 23:18:38 pm »

Hell yeah and talk about a BITCHEN color!

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 01:44:14 am »

love that car

Brian Silva

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 02:59:55 am »

killer looking car! Love the engine turned firewall and the t-bar license plate bracket  Smiley
bilboa2

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 03:14:52 am »

yep jason, bahama blue. orig color of car.thanks for the compliments,but need to thank doug berg for his MANY added additional touches/ideas. Pedal assby cnc'd of brm, clutch and brake pedals beefed up and chromed.Tach and mount. Tach is an OLD "football" sun unit with late model moon guts inside calibrated to 4 cyc.SUN and moon eyes logos etched/cnc'd in tach brkt with outside view etching of "william rodgers" der kliener panzers volkswagon club.Berg 5 speed shift handle signitured dkps2 etc.line loc switch just below handle.MANY other "douged" items. deep sump with breather holes/jackets,..polished tranny ribs with dkp emplem and cutouts for empi camber compensator to go through. Weber side vent panels with dkp bird emblem..He redid tranny, looks like a polished watch. DOUG IS AN ARTIST... and friend...bill
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 06:52:59 am »

Hey Bill, how ya doing? Yup! I remember Doug working on that car, he did alot of work on that thing. Bill that car really looks good. Oh ya! finally going to put my BIG motor together. I'll e-mail you the details. Take care Bill!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 07:43:23 am »

Thanks Bill for sharing. Just added a few more to my fav. pics. Smiley

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 12:17:59 pm »

just wondering if there are anymore ideas on how to give the engine compartment a cal-look treatment.
any related photos would be nice Smiley

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
vwxtc4free

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 01:41:24 am »

For those of you who want the quiet but are concerned about the tarboard getting sucked up by the fan, how about more insulation on the interior side of the firewall? You could pull the carpet back and use some sound deadening like dynamat or similar and just glue the carpet back.

Thats what I did .   But straight cuts,magnaflow & IDA's barking ,who wants to quiet that down!  Grin

Ok.. maybe if it was your sole transportation...............and then ,ONLY maybe.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 01:55:19 am by vwxtc4free » Logged

peach_

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 04:35:07 am »

For those of you who want the quiet but are concerned about the tarboard getting sucked up by the fan, how about more insulation on the interior side of the firewall? You could pull the carpet back and use some sound deadening like dynamat or similar and just glue the carpet back.

Thats what I did .   But straight cuts,magnaflow & IDA's barking ,who wants to quiet that down!  Grin

Ok.. maybe if it was your sole transportation...............and then ,ONLY maybe.

It will be for me  Roll Eyes lol

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 18:07:36 pm »

if you want quiet get some earplugs.. Smiley

Glitter don't make you faster.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 18:14:03 pm »

I just went through this.  My car was already painted, but the engine was out, and i wanted to paint the engine bay.  I had a tar board style insulation up, hated it.  It warperd and looked like crap after 2 yrs.  Painted, it looks soooooo much cleaner!  I cut the spikes off, ground them flush, and it really made things nice.  We don't need no stinking sound insulation!

Before:

After:

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
GreenTom

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 18:23:56 pm »

grate looking engine bay, I'm shooting into that kinda look of an engine Cheesy just briliant Smiley I'll put some photos in march Cheesy wish me luck.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 18:26:59 pm by GreenTom » Logged

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Neil Davies

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2009, 10:39:47 am »

just wondering if there are anymore ideas on how to give the engine compartment a cal-look treatment.
any related photos would be nice Smiley

Either body colour with satin black tin or satin black with gloss black tin would be my preferences.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Sarge

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 13:42:21 pm »

In the old days, no one did much with the engine compartment... they just slid the old stocker out and added an IDA equipped piece in it's place.  I like the idea of a detailed and body color painted firewall, but I'm not sure if I'd like the extra noise. 

DKP III
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: