The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:59:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VW38 found
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: VW38 found  (Read 9231 times)
vwcab

peter

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 00:01:21 am »

I see,the parts are coming together,so it's gone be ready at the end of june for Hessisch Oldendorf.
Than the owner has a week time to transform it into a callooker and take a best of show- trophy at EBI#3.  Grin  Grin  Grin

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2009, 17:23:12 pm »

Its a saver. Its not that bad. And look at the return if ever finished right. Be a fun project

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
bugnut68

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2009, 18:01:01 pm »

Giving it to VW to restore would be the worst fate for this car. Take a look at how bad the early cars in the museum are... In my experience, VW's 'expert' knowledge is seriously lacking.

I'd vote for Trauhott and Christian Grundmann (Hessich-Oldendorf organisers and major-league collectors/restorers). There is no argument that this car, if it proves to be a VW38 (and I believe it is) must be restored one way or the other. Externally, the rear window and windshield surround are the only major problem areas but can hardly be considered insurmountable problems. Beneath that, well, there are plenty of KdF parts available these days (they are no longer the real rarity they used to be) and the end result would be a pretty accurate rebuild/recreation/restoration of a historically very significant car.

I agree... Volkswagen of today couldn't give two sh*ts about their air-cooled heritage, IMO.  Now they're just another super-expensive European car maker, in my book.  Don't get me started on the "Max" commericals, as it reminds me of how VWOA, in particular, went all buddy-buddy with the vintage air-cooled scene in order to promote the new beetle years ago.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2009, 18:21:39 pm »

Its a saver. Its not that bad. And look at the return if ever finished right. Be a fun project

Thank you, Danny!  For something THAT old, unique, and potentially significant, make what you have to, get it as close as you can, and appreciate that it was even found in the first place.  Its not friggin' rocket science.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Neil Davies

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2009, 18:38:13 pm »

Thank you, Danny!  For something THAT old, unique, and potentially significant, make what you have to, get it as close as you can, and appreciate that it was even found in the first place.  Its not friggin' rocket science.

Exactly. It's a hand built car in the first place, so what is the problem with hand building the repair parts? Although I don't think there will be any more to see than a bare shell with doors and lids when it's finished, but what a display piece! I think that would be more sympathetic than building it up on a 50's pan with other bits made to fit.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 18:45:34 pm »

allright, so we all pitch in a 5er and we get our own callook/lounge vw38. cool!!!

we have to make up a scedule who can have it what day. THAT will be the tricky part off the project.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 21:54:02 pm »

allright, so we all pitch in a 5er and we get our own callook/lounge vw38. cool!!!

we have to make up a scedule who can have it what day. THAT will be the tricky part off the project.

I'm in  Grin Grin Grin

You either "Get It" or you don't......
alex d

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2009, 09:55:08 am »

I'm in  Grin Grin Grin

me too Grin Grin
and its already dechromed!  Wink
peach_

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2009, 02:58:42 am »

allright, so we all pitch in a 5er and we get our own callook/lounge vw38. cool!!

I think we'd be hung from the Rafters by the pure'ests before we even got close  Cheesy Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Dustin

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2009, 03:13:56 am »

It's starting to sound to me like this tread needs to move to the "Imagine this on Fuch's with IDA's" thread  Grin Grin

BTW... I'm in!

Der Kleiner Panzers III
www.dkpcarclub.com

'69 Tangerine Orange Karmann Ghia- In progress
'66 Marina blue Chevy II Nova Hardtop- Project mothballed
alex d

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2009, 14:09:58 pm »

there are more pics of the "car" in thesamba now, it's indeed a real VW38 (well, what's left of it), awesome!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: