The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:35:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKK - Looking for my old family.... are you still out there?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: DKK - Looking for my old family.... are you still out there?  (Read 35029 times)
DKK - Lisa
« on: April 17, 2009, 17:34:46 pm »

I just found this site while walking down memory lane last night.  I've seen some old posts from some very dear old friends.  Are you still out there?  I sure would love to reconnect with you all !!

Lisa Maxwell
LuftsickTero

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 18:07:12 pm »

here's a scanning to get this topic going  Smiley

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 18:56:47 pm »

Hey lisa do you know how to get ahold of steve wilkerson?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 19:32:40 pm »

Now there is an old name I absolutely adore!  No, I lost touch with Steve a very long time ago.  I've really lost contact with all of DKK.  Even Nancy and Henry.  I think my lil' sis still talks with Todd Fuller now and then.  I am connected with Carry Liera on Face Book.  Otherwise, I'm completely disconnected......   
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 20:07:33 pm »

hy lisa  it's great to have you here another deek member 
your welcome

fabs

ps check this tread  Wink you will find some old memories  Cheesy http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,2322.0.html

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 20:26:03 pm »

Lisa!!! Great to see you on here. This is Mark/Fred with the orange car. If you get out to the Bug-In & The Classic, many of us old DEEKS will be there. Can't wait to catch up with you.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 22:54:51 pm »

I remember Steve Wilkerson when I use to work at Auto-Craft Machine, he work next door to us. He had a bad ass Ghia. Would be nice to see what he's doing, a nice guy. Lisa, I don't know you but I do remember your car, very nice. Is that car still around??

Ted
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 22:57:12 pm by Racecraf » Logged

VW Classic 2012
Speed-Randy

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 22:59:36 pm »

hey danny, that orange bug you got from me came from the house directly across the street from where steve wilkerson used to live, oh yeah, welcome to the lounge lisa, there are a few post inquiring about your whereabouts also. will you be joining us at bug-in in 2 weeks?

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 23:02:41 pm »

Wink

DKK - Lisa
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 23:09:52 pm »

Wow, you guys are good.  What fun photos and links.  I think I saw a foreign magazine article featuring Steve Wilkerson's Blue Bug as well as mine.  I never even knew about that one.  I can't wait to go back through and read things more thoroughly.  I'm beginning to get addicted to this nostalgia stuff : )  I've heard from Jeff Hicken via private e-mail and Fred too.  Gosh I sure miss you guys!!  So who else is out here???  

As far as my 53 Split.... I have no idea where it is or what happened to it.  I sold it for around $6000.  It needed some significant front end attention.  I remember the guy who bought it barely fit inside the car.  He was a tall, big guy!  He loved the car.  I remember him driving off with the biggest smile..... and the front end rubbing as it rolled down the street.  (I really think he was too big for the car!).  I moved on and started another project - a 67 Convert with plans for showing it.  That project was scrapped when I fell in love with a cute little Red Porsche - 911 Targa.  That was the end of my VW days : (   

So where is Bug-In in 2 weeks?   
low oval
DKK

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 23:16:53 pm »

I remember Steve Wilkerson when I use to work at Auto-Craft Machine, he work next door to us. He had a bad ass Ghia. Would be nice to see what he's doing, a nice guy. Lisa, I don't know you but I do remember your car, very nice. Is that car still around??

Ted

Ted,
when did you work at auto-caraft, I also worked at auto craft 1979, then I worked for a month or so with steve in the shop next door.
jim smith

sorry to hijack the thread.

Lisa,
I think I was just getting out of the club about the time you were entering I was in the club 78 to 80/81.  welcome aboard.
bug in is at fontana on may 3rd.
jim smith

"and that's when the cops showed up"
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 23:43:51 pm »

something about you lisa  Wink http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,2322.msg40571.html#msg40571

ans steve wilkinson 58  Wink http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,2322.msg51223.html#msg51223

steve's car was featured in a vw trends dec 84 lisa  Wink

rgd
fabs

jhicken
DKK

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 03:04:02 am »

Hey Lisa, glad to see you found your way. Welcome back, time to build another bug!

-jeffrey

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 03:39:57 am »

Hey Jim, Ya I was there around the late 70's not sure exactly when, was there when Bill and Ray were still together, there was a Mike that did the heads, JerryWalton who I woked close with. A long blonde hair guy that was one of the engine builder's, later Cory Mac came in I think as an engine builder cause of his father I think. I left when Ray and I did not get along. Then went to Bergs for a short time then. I also remember a guy named Harley that ported heads there on his own, not at the shop. Starting to jog my memory.   Roll Eyes Oh ya! There was a guy named Scott that was an engine builder that use to race, I remember working late, he would go home and come back with his prime blue bug that you could her him coming, he had one of the first turbo muffler's he made, which I bought from him later.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
low oval
DKK

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 04:44:43 am »

Bill and Ray were still together when I was there also.  I remember Jerry, very cool guy.  I always remember him telling me how easy fingers come off.  the engine builder when I was there had a bad ass boat with a 440 magnum in it.  took me for a ride in it at the river.  Wonder if the guy with the primer blue car was scott bruce. jim bell got me the job there.
jim

"and that's when the cops showed up"
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 07:28:10 am »

Ya Jerry was a cool guy, we would go home the same direction and race over the hill to the 60FWY. He had that green 66' I believe. Was sad when I heard he had passed away in a wreak up north. The engine builder I know of had a 914, I think yellow, maybe  the same guy your talking about.The guy with the blue bug is Scott Bruce, he lived off Lambert. Jim your talking about sounds fimiliar, he was one of the main machinist, right? Man I miss the old days.

VW Classic 2012
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 16:50:20 pm »

OMG she has shown up....... amazing.

Wazzup Lisa?

Scott "Worm" Blaydes
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 17:01:00 pm by Worm » Logged

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 18:56:46 pm »

WORM!!!!!! : )
OMG we are neighbors.  I'm in Laguna Niguel.  Got to get together!  E-mail me and I'll swap numbers with you.  How are you?  I'm having such a blast reading about everyone.  I talked to Jeff and Mark yesterday.  I have such a happy heart right now.  I can't believe how much I miss you guys and how you can still make me laugh.  So is there going to be a reunion or what?  Count me in!     

And Jim.... I was in the club while you were in.  I recall your car & you!  I didn't always have the split while in DKK.  My first bug - a beige sixty-eight with blacked out chrome, sun roof.  Pretty stock othewise.  I can't remember if I eventually did something with the motor.  My brain is still foggy from those yearsl  I'm going to dig up my old pics and learn to work our scanner.  With any luck and a quick learning curve, I'll renew my details and get some pics posted soon. 

YOU KNOW WHAT.... I think I may have even seen you down at Steve's work at the machine shop.  He had the most wonderful boss.  An older guy who was just kinder than you can imagine.  He gave me a long talk one day about going to college.  I remember him very clearly telling me that once I completed my education, even if everything else fell apart, even if all of my material things were taken from me, I would always have my degree.  He told me that was an achievement that no one could ever take from me and that it would be useful for the rest of my life.  Wise old man!!  I went on and got two of them.... probably with a little help from the direction he offered me : )

So who else is out there?

Lisa
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 19:14:03 pm »

Hi Lisa and welcome to The Lounge, a great place you'll see ! Wink

Sarge

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 19:23:38 pm »

Welcome to the Lounge, Lisa from "an older guy who's kinder then you can imagine" Roll Eyes Grin 

DKP III
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 19:26:38 pm »

Was that you???  No way Huh
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 19:35:52 pm »

OK Sarge, that wasn't you.  You're not old enough!!  I bet you don't get that comment often Wink  Thanks for your greeting.  It's great to be here.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 20:02:17 pm »

Welcome Lisa  Wink

Hope you will enjoy this place  Cheesy

Sarge

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 20:45:28 pm »

OK Sarge, that wasn't you.  You're not old enough!!  I bet you don't get that comment often Wink  Thanks for your greeting.  It's great to be here.

Wink Grin

DKP III
Susy

PowderPuff VW Racing Rocks

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 21:03:43 pm »

Lisa,

Welcome Back!  I am sure you don't remember me, but I remember you!

I was in DVB.  I was the President for awhile there at the end of the car club days.   Barb, Joanie & myself use to hang out with your club a lot, especially Fred (Mark) at the car show and cruises.  I believe Barb went out with a member of your club at one time.

It was really great to see the members of DKK reunite, and everyone kept asking about you, and wondering where you went.  So I am happy that you have found the club members again.
All the guys are still really wonderful, and a real pleasure to be around. Fred and Worm -  I think are more fun than in the good ole days!

I am still into the volkswagen thing with my husband, and I have organized the PowderPuff Racing Class at all the races this year.  It has been a lot of fun! 

Well Lisa - hope to see you at some event in the near future!

Take Care,
Susy Gifford Herbert

MSH Racing
1970 Karmann Ghia
Type 1 - 2400cc  48 IDA's - 12 Second Street Car - Pump Gas
PowderPuff VW Racing Coordinator
2009 & 2010 Series Two PowderPuff Champion
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 22:31:13 pm »

Welcome to the Lounge Lisa,
It's a cool place to visit...

I remember your car... never met a Ragtop Split I didn't like Grin

So, do you have the "Cal-Look fever" yet?

One other thing... we have Mark "Fred", Scott "Worm", now Lisa "_____"?

Enjoy!

~DR.

DKK - Lisa
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 23:43:55 pm »

Hey there Susy.  You bet I remember you!  I asked about you when I was on the phone yesterday talking to either Mark or Jeff Hicken.  They mentioned your powder puff racing.  Good for you!  One of the guys in your club helped me tow the split to a RG Canning show and for the life of me I can't remember his name.  He was so kind, alot like a father figure.  Do you know who I am talking about?

Anyways, I sure look forward to running into you and the girls again.  I think I have some old photos of our clubs building human pyramids at some park event.  You girls were all up at the top.  I'll work on scanning it and getting it posted. 

And as far as a nick name for me.... I don't think I ever had one, at least not one that I knew about......   I was just the token female club member.  I guess DKK was ahead of their time - non discriminatory, equal opportunity........ Cheesy  They just took me in like a little sister. 

Lisa
Susy

PowderPuff VW Racing Rocks

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 01:21:16 am »

Lisa - it was probably John Fawley that might have helped you.  I saw him a few years back at one of the Drag Days, and he was really grumpy!  Maybe he was just having a bad day! Sad

Barb lives in Encinitas, and does not communicate with anyone but Joni - I believe.  I saw her a few years ago at my wedding!  Joni still hangs out every once in a while, and she is still the same Joni - I just love her!

Those photos are probably from Crazy Caravan at Irvine Park!  Those were the days - huh?  Did not have the responsibility that we have today!

You were well taken care of by the boys from DKK - they all loved you!  I know Barb - Joni & I loved hanging out with your club - even though we were faithful to DVB.  DKK had all the "cute boys" in their club - you lucky girl!

Looking forward to see you sometime.  If you come to Fontana - please come and look for me in the staging lanes - that's where I will be most of the day!

Susy

MSH Racing
1970 Karmann Ghia
Type 1 - 2400cc  48 IDA's - 12 Second Street Car - Pump Gas
PowderPuff VW Racing Coordinator
2009 & 2010 Series Two PowderPuff Champion
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 02:51:14 am »

OK Susy... I'm learning how to work the scanner.  This one is for you : )
This was at some casual event when our clubs got together.  Do you remember this?

DKK Pyramid: 
top row -  Lisa, 
Second row -  Huh, Huh
Third row - Huh Tod,  Huh
Bottom row - Rick, Kevin Brennan,  Scott Hall, Mark Rameriz

Alex is standing in front of the DVB Pyramid and yes, that's Steve's behind in those cute little shorts.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 14:36:44 pm by DKK Lisa » Logged
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 03:21:04 am »

I think I've got the scanner figured out!!  How about that learning curve : )
Here are some more photos of (I think) that same day with your club Susy.  I like the photo that someone took from high up above.... don't remember who specifically took my camera and climed the fence, but glad they did : )
Lisa

1st photo: Bottom three people ? ? ?  Then Mark, Nancy Mayeda (Henry's wife), Kathy Hill (My BFF from the time), Me, Tod, .... and then I need some help with the rest.  Anybody??

**EDIT May 12, 2009  - Per Dan's Help
Left to Right: Dan (yellow shirt), Ronnie Grenfell (58KG with alloys) & Jeff Rugerri (65 KG Vert red/rainbow paint with alloys)

2nd photo:  Me - Too sunny out?  Don't remember.  I think I am holding a beer from the reflection of the glasses.  That may have had something to do with it.
3rd photo: Steve's Ghia
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 18:30:53 pm by DKK Lisa » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: