The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:12:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350860 Posts in 28605 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My '72 racecar
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: My '72 racecar  (Read 42278 times)
Pas

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2010, 01:45:20 am »

Looking good Paul

Can't wait to see it, are you still aiming for the Volksworld show.

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
Happychappy

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2010, 21:11:21 pm »

Hi mate, hows things?  Yeah the Volksworld show is the deadline fingers crossed!!!  Hows your build coming along?
Happychappy

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2010, 21:17:50 pm »

Had another day on the bug got lots done again......

The drivers door is now finished, the interior panels are fantastic.

You can see your reflection in this it is so shiny!!

More work done on the front.  Jim has made the mounts for the fuel pump, washer bottle and horn and mounted the line lock.

Should have the gerabox next week and then we get to start on the rear end  Grin
Pas

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2010, 00:43:13 am »

Hows your build coming along?

In a word...slowly, it's in for paint currently and the pan is at Flatlands engineering for some mods.

I need to update the build thread.

Good luck with the remaining build, it is going to be a cracking car Grin

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
Happychappy

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 19:36:41 pm »

Small update.....

Jim has been busy over the Christmas/New year period and plumbed in the fuel and brake lines....

You can't see it in the picture here but the way Jim has routed all the brake lines is awesome.

The fuel tank was sent away and had its breathers welded in which looks so cool  Cool

The gauges were also trial fitted before the surround comes back from paint.

And today we took a trip down to see Pete at Cogbox to pick up my new box

Next week the gearbox will be going in..... Grin
Jesus

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 15:31:14 pm »

Great looking car Cheesy

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 01:53:28 am »

Great looking car Cheesy

Yes great work !

Happychappy

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 21:47:01 pm »

Today I went to help (make things harder) Jim again and it was time to fit the gearbox!!

I spent the morning fitting up the axles and tubes ready for it to be reunited with the car......

It went in great, until........  We tried fitting the adjustable spring plates.   They really aren't as easy to fit as normal spring plates does anyone have any experience of fitting adjustable spring plates as any advice would be great,  having tried two sets of spring compressors, two jacks and a ratchet strap we gave up!!  Even with little to no weight in the car it can't be that hard??

Before the day was out I had to try a rear wheel tyre to see how they would fit.  I need opinions please as Jim hates the way they look and I am undecided but think I'm going to have to get new wheels  Huh  They look great side on and nice and fat its just they stick out too much in the arches,  may be a different profile tyre would be better??

The fronts are so nice and 'tucked' I think maybe the rears would look very wrong, sticking out the way they do?  Besides I get to buy some more wheels which is always good  Grin

I think I know the answer but, what should I do??
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 22:38:36 pm »

Not to change the subject but I don't think you are going to want the seam in the axle boot on top like that.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Happychappy

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2011, 23:06:59 pm »

Not to change the subject but I don't think you are going to want the seam in the axle boot on top like that.

Thanks Rick, we moved them after the pic was taken, I put them on wrong  Roll Eyes
Wout

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 00:14:30 am »

I had the adjustable springplates before but I can't remember how we get them on  Undecided, now I have 944 ones and they fit rather easy.
Maybe you can try with using longer bolts so you can start with the four bolts in it before you have the plate in to position if you know what I mean?

Good luck!!!

PS: The car looks allready stunning!!!!

gr
Wout

Aircooled vw's for life!
http://aircooled-wout.fotopages.com/
JSL

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 11:02:40 am »

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but whats wrong with having the axle boot seam at the top? Which way round should they be?

Hey Happychappy, your build is looking awesome!! I quite like the wheels as they are different but still nostalgic looking Wink Do they do them in different off-sets?

Is it Chevy stud pattern that your using?

J

Happychappy

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 12:03:24 pm »

Hi JSL thanks I can't believe its my car!  I really really want to keep the wheels and they do fit but I can't get them in a different offset as they are cast and the smallest width they do in chevy five stud.  Once everything is on properly including the front end and running borads will look again and maybe just change the tyres or not?

Adjustable spring plate problem solved though  Grin

As for the axle boots they are back with the seam/join at the top as we decided that this was the weakest point and didn't want oil leaking out, I think factory they were horizontal??  Not sure but we thought top is best to so changed them again.

Cheers

Paul
qubek

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 12:17:25 pm »

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but whats wrong with having the axle boot seam at the top? Which way round should they be?

I used to put them that way too.
But then the manuals says otherwise. My understanding is that the seam is less flexible then the rest of the boot, and when the axle moves up and down, the "lip" is gradually torn from the rest of the rubber.

A little bit silly topic comparing to the rest of the work that is described here  Smiley

I have repro BRMs and I'm proud! :]
AlexB

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 18:46:07 pm »

Looking good Paul - do you want to borrow my Centerline convos to try on the back ? they are 6x15 chevy 5 stud - currently have M&H slicks on - we had similar problems with the 7 inch centerline autodrags on the rear of the Jagerbug - hence the flared rear wings Cheesy
jeff01

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 18:54:18 pm »

Nice project  Wink
Happychappy

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 19:50:21 pm »

Looking good Paul - do you want to borrow my Centerline convos to try on the back ? they are 6x15 chevy 5 stud - currently have M&H slicks on - we had similar problems with the 7 inch centerline autodrags on the rear of the Jagerbug - hence the flared rear wings Cheesy

Hello mate

If I could that would be brilliant!  Could pick them up next week if thats ok?

Will give you a call  Grin

Cheers

Paul
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2011, 22:42:41 pm »

But then the manuals says otherwise. My understanding is that the seam is less flexible then the rest of the boot, and when the axle moves up and down, the "lip" is gradually torn from the rest of the rubber.

A little bit silly topic comparing to the rest of the work that is described here  Smiley
Not silly, no oil puddles. Go 3 O'clock.

Done ? Not Yet.
Happychappy

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011, 22:44:37 pm »

More build progress had a good day fitting JayCee shiny bits.........

The hub carriers aren't in the right place yet as we were just mocking the brakes to see if they fit due to the CSP brake kit being for a late long axle beetle and since buying them I have changed to the short axles.  They didn't fit due to the calipers and discs touching, i'm guessing the kit for shorter axles has different caliper mounts and discs.  Should be sorted by tomorrow though  Wink

Got the shocks and  CSP torque bar fitted up aswell ....

Picking up a load of electrical bits tomorrow from Status Vw so should have the wiring done in the next week or so, can't wait for that!!
Happychappy

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011, 22:46:08 pm »

Not silly, no oil puddles. Go 3 O'clock.

Ahh, will move them  Wink
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2011, 22:51:11 pm »

Are there urethane bushings in the CSP torquebar mounting ?

Done ? Not Yet.
Happychappy

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2011, 22:57:31 pm »

Are there urethane bushings in the CSP torquebar mounting ?

It does look like they are but they are actually part of the shock.  Colour matches very well with other urethane bushes though  Smiley
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2011, 01:33:04 am »

The seam is not very flexible compared to the rest of the boot. Since the axle only moves up and down you want the seam at either 3:00 or 9:00 so that the boot will flex correctly. I usually put mine facing forward but theres no reason why facing backwards wouldn't work either.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Salvo

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2011, 06:04:53 am »

I must say that this is an AWESOME thread!  I just joined the site in hopes of finding info just like this, this was the first thread that I looked at and am thoroughly impressed with the quality of what I see already!!!!  Thank You!  Smiley
Happychappy

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2011, 17:38:15 pm »

Small update for now.....

Brakes are on and plumbed in.........

NEAL clutch slave cylinder is on waiting to be plumbed in.......

And the re-wire has started!!

There is still lots to be done but it is getting so close now.........

More soon.  Grin
thejohn66

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2011, 19:22:37 pm »

loving the build, mine will be there also, at least your paint is finished ::)Some long days looming Cry

Bitburg motor boating club member.
Happychappy

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2011, 12:53:33 pm »

Well it has been a while since I put an update on here so thought I would put up some recent photos.

The bug is now re-wired with a brand new loom slightly customised for the extra dials and MSD ignition....

Once all the front ends bits have been finished the wiring will be tied down and finished.

The dial surround is in and looks so very hot rod I love it  Cool

And finally the rear wings, decklid, valance and light housings are on......

Just waiting for more parts from the painter now..........
Happychappy

« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 18:01:40 pm »

Another small update, the wiring is now fully complete and tied down.  Jim has been very busy finishing off lots of the little fiddley jobs like bleading the brakes and clutch, setting the handbrake and fitting the steering wheel and seats.......

He has also been fabricating and routing the throttle cable, all these things take time especially to make them look good!

My beautiful wife has also got involved and detailed the vin plate before it got mounted on the body  Cool

Just a few minor jobs now before engine time!!!  Grin
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2011, 08:08:07 am »

Wow! Looks great Smiley

Jesus

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2011, 12:08:14 pm »

Awesome, looking forward to seeing it!

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: