The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:47:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKK and the Cal Look Lounge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: DKK and the Cal Look Lounge  (Read 20418 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: May 06, 2009, 21:02:22 pm »

So how much did the Lounge do for getting so many members of DKK in contact again?

I think it's very cool that the group of you all got to hang again @ Bug In. Nothing quite as fun as reliving days of youth with VW club members from days gone by.
(I was in a small, but tight-knit club in the 90's, and we were like a family, although a heavily disfunctional one... it's always nice to get in touch with old buddies and see how fat they have gotten in 15 years Grin)

Jim
Casey

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 22:10:32 pm »

Jim,
    Although I'm not a member, I must give my 2 cents. I bet in some way or anouther, it had everything to do with them meeting up again. Forums are great. That is the beauty of the internet. I've chatted with a few ol' timers that are anti web, they can't stand it. And they hate the whole e-mail thing too. I say they need to learn how to use it and their hands will cramp up too.

If it wasn’t for the world wide web, a lot of people would never make contact, or keep in touch with, old friends and family. When I see old friends I used to roll with, I crack a smile right away just picturing the things we did in our cars that we wouldn't dare do these days; since we are so mature now. Roll Eyes Furthermore, it would be a real bitch to work on and find old parts for these little tanks we love to haul ass around in. Very cool D.K.K had a reunion at the Bug-In. Casey.

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 22:15:52 pm »

I agree. I think the Lounge is a great place to poke fun at your old friends and make new ones. Best thing about it is that is has a life to it... it's not just a cyber-tech talk place to ask how to sync your carbs.  Roll Eyes
people here care about the history of the scene.

Dk Who?
Casey

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 23:14:37 pm »

Also, it's pretty evident that the "Deeks" will be in full force again very soon. Every time I see them, there are more members and cars rollin' out. Good stuff right there! Its probably only a matter of time till we are all going to some sort of D.K.K. hang out or event, huh.

DKP III
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:51 am »

It all started with our friend DKK Rick I think... I know he did a tremendous job in getting the DEEKs on to the lounge.
And I guess that their private section on here also has something to do with the reunion, if any other clubs would like a private section let Trond and I know, and we will look into it.

Rock on DEEK's!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 10:26:48 am »

What happened to DKK Rick? Last active on August 22, 2008  Shocked

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Speed-Randy

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 16:47:44 pm »

this site is 100% responsible for us getting in touch with all our old friends from the club, making us go thru old phone numbers and calling old friends and i dont think any of us can thank this site enough. whats strange is that almost all of us still own a vw but didnt run into one another thru the years. let this be a lesson to all the younger members on this site, you will meet some of your best friends because of this car, friends you will have for life. Smiley

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 00:14:57 am »

JHU, Trond, BeetleBug, DKK Rick, and anyone else that's responsible for this great site... on behalf of D.K.K. we really owe you all a huge thanks for getting us back together.

I echo the same thoughts as Randy's post.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 14:50:53 pm »

Rick pulled me in. A few years ago I bought the URL www.derkleinerkampfwagens.com with the intention of throwing alot of old pics up [still haven't done it yet] and I had a few old members contact me through that. I was already familiar with the lounge when Rick finally made contact and he pointed me to our new forum. The rest was history.

I also have to give kudos to Mark [Fred] who took over the DKK reins when Rick started to fade. Thanks for all your effort, I hope to see you guys soon.

-jeffrey
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 20:30:24 pm by jhicken » Logged

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 16:27:29 pm »

Brian plummer got me started, Shit I had just got on the computor for the first time about a year ago.This is the greatist place for us VW geeks.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
cal-look 56

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 16:52:51 pm »

.This is the greatist place for us VW geeks.

I agree 100% Grin
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 19:23:54 pm »

Second that. Anyone seen him lately?
DKKBRIAN
DKK

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 22:16:41 pm »

Brian plummer got me started, Shit I had just got on the computor for the first time about a year ago.This is the greatist place for us VW geeks.
   SORRY GUYS!!  Grin Grin Grin

DUH..WINNING !
Steve DKK
DKK

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 01:50:00 am »

i'm a ex-prez from DKK..
The first VW event I have been to in 25 years was the Bug In last month.  I did internet searching about 5 years back for DKK and came up empty.

What a surprise to see the group...

The Lounge has been a great way to catch up being 1,000 miles away..

Thanks Lounge Guys..

Go fast, don't turn
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 04:55:19 am »

So steve you still doing cylinder heads and building motors? Oh-ya it was great seeing you at bug-in. kinda funny your name brings back alot of vw storys.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 05:19:43 am »

Thanks, Jeffrey... really hopin' that you're able to make the Classic, next month. And to Steve and the rest of the DEEKS... AWESOME havin' everybody together once again.

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 05:22:56 am »

Your right mark, Kinda of going back in time,relive'n some younger days

Steve DKK
DKK

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 16:26:15 pm »

Danny,
I would have to say no, But I do remember once saying to you.  "Here is your motor, get the flywheel torqued, it is not tight"    Smiley
I have done some motors for some friends but very few...  I did just ported a friends mazda rotary last week. I do love to play with getting air in and out...  I still have some untried theory's I would like to try out.  I'm building a 1/4 mile car so I plan on implementing a few.   

Yea... seeing you brought back many memories too.
I'm sure at the classic we will be on reminisce overload....

Go fast, don't turn
Dan Mazur

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 16:36:34 pm »

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 19:14:38 pm by Dan Mazur » Logged

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 22:48:26 pm »

Dunno, Dan. After this busy weekend, I'll call my contact and find out. Sorry about the delay.

(edit) Dan, and rest of the DEEKS... go to the club forum. I just hung up the phone with my t-shirt supplier. Good news!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 23:32:44 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 04:16:55 am »

Danny,
I would have to say no, But I do remember once saying to you.  "Here is your motor, get the flywheel torqued, it is not tight"    Smiley
I have done some motors for some friends but very few...  I did just ported a friends mazda rotary last week. I do love to play with getting air in and out...  I still have some untried theory's I would like to try out.  I'm building a 1/4 mile car so I plan on implementing a few.   

Funny-story about that glan nut, well then it was. That motor was for joni's ghia , after we broke up she took it to some guy to put in her car and guess what he forgot to check.

Steve DKK
DKK

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 04:21:56 am »

yea i remember fixing the crank with the 11/32 dowels after they banged around a while

Go fast, don't turn
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2009, 04:41:55 am »

Steve , you need to tell some of these guy's some of your street race'n story's, And for those chimming in, steve and his ghia BAD HABT were making gas money back in the day. If ya lost I hope you had at least a spare rotor. Fricken funny ass story's. Oh - Ya steve, How was suppose to know joni wanted that motor in her car.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 16:24:18 pm »

Danny,

Funny-story about that glan nut, well then it was. That motor was for joni's ghia , after we broke up she took it to some guy to put in her car and guess what he forgot to check.

whoops?  Roll Eyes

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 21:15:26 pm »

So how much did the Lounge do for getting so many members of DKK in contact again?

I think it's very cool that the group of you all got to hang again @ Bug In. Nothing quite as fun as reliving days of youth with VW club members from days gone by.
(I was in a small, but tight-knit club in the 90's, and we were like a family, although a heavily disfunctional one... it's always nice to get in touch with old buddies and see how fat they have gotten in 15 years Grin)

Jim

The lounge is 98.6% responsible for getting us back in contact again.  Grin

The private forum has give us a place where we can put together bits and pieces from everyone's memory and trace down ppl... whether they want to be found or not!

We can't thank JHU, Trond and BeetleBug enough for this opportunity.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 21:16:15 pm »

Also, it's pretty evident that the "Deeks" will be in full force again very soon. Every time I see them, there are more members and cars rollin' out. Good stuff right there! Its probably only a matter of time till we are all going to some sort of D.K.K. hang out or event, huh.

naaa.. that would take us actually doing something!  Cheesy

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 21:17:04 pm »

Who??? Never heard of him  Grin Grin

Rennsurfer

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 22:07:09 pm »

naaa.. that would take us actually doing something!  Cheesy

True... we were lazy and unorganized then. And now it's worse; we're old and don't care.

~Sarge
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 22:36:01 pm »

Theres more DKK Member on the Lounge then there are DKP members on here LOL

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 22:54:03 pm »

Who??? Never heard of him  Grin Grin

Welcome back Rick, glad to here you are still kickin.

-jeffrey

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: