The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 20:00:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Doug Mische's Old School GHIA...Did it make it to the Classic today?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Doug Mische's Old School GHIA...Did it make it to the Classic today?  (Read 22486 times)
cal-look 56

« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 17:18:09 pm »

The Original VW Cal Look that Started it all Was Clean,Fast,Simple,and Affordable!! 

The cars you started with were also only ten or 20 years old, and weren't in need of a full body off re$to.

Very true.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 17:32:02 pm »

That Must Be Me Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin   I dont See $50,000 to $100,000 + VW Trailer Queens Technology?  I call that Waste of Good Money The Original VW Cal Look that Started it all Was Clean,Fast,Simple,and Affordable!!  I personally Think If Prices for the Cars and Parts had not Sky Rocketed like it Did and continues to, There would be alot more People involved in VW's You would think that the wheel companys could sell there Repops for alot less since they are mass prodeuced  In 1967 Original BRM's, 5 Spokes,and 8 Spokes sold for $49.95 each, Deano and Hurst Shifters were $39.95, Dont get me Wrong I know The Original's are Worth Way More Then they were in 1967 but how can anyone Justify the Price? NOS Brm's 1967 $49.95 X 4 =$199.80 to NOS BRM's 2009 $14,000.00 for a set Of 4  even Repops cost about $800.00 a set the wheel Market has Repoped  50,000 + times more wheels then there were Originals even made.   just my 2 cents cuz I spent the rest.. 
Shubee, what are you talking about? Most VW enthusiasts could not afford BRMs in the '60s because they were expensive. California's Minimum Wage was $1.35 an hour in 1966; it's $7.25 today.
Also, we should thank the people who spend $50 or $100K in their VWs. Like it or not, it made Nick's parking lot pretty interesting last June.
Well For all the Good it Dose Almost all Cars that are Built that way end up in Hot Vw's Mag. Then there put up For Sale Sometimes before the Mag. even comes Out or there Put up For Sale on Old Bugs.Com  So Whats The Point? As Far as Nicks Goes there are Ton Of Killer cars there But  in the Early 70's in the Parking lot Across the Street from Nick's is Where The L A County Street Racers use to Meet and All The Bug Clubs Hung out on Sundays nights after there club meetings (DKP,DVB,DRF,DRA,DSK) were all there The VW's Club's Made A nice Showing and The V8 Guys would never want to race a VW the clubs always ended up racing each other  behind Pacific Stereo in Anaheim

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Stephan S

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2009, 17:45:39 pm »

Well For all the Good it Dose Almost all Cars that are Built that way end up in Hot Vw's Mag. Then there put up For Sale Sometimes before the Mag. even comes Out or there Put up For Sale on Old Bugs.Com  So Whats The Point?

I am very confused about your message. Didn't you say you bought and sold 100 VWs yourself over the years?

Der Kleiner Panzers
cal-look 56

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2009, 18:04:28 pm »

Well For all the Good it Dose Almost all Cars that are Built that way end up in Hot Vw's Mag. Then there put up For Sale Sometimes before the Mag. even comes Out or there Put up For Sale on Old Bugs.Com  So Whats The Point?

I am very confused about your message. Didn't you say you bought and sold 100 VWs yourself over the years?

They were not $50-100k cars though.  Ha Ha ha  Wink
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2009, 18:08:34 pm »

No I have never said that But My 58 Ragtop is my 49th VW I have owned and when its Done it wont be for Sale ..

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jim Ratto

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2009, 18:21:56 pm »

what's under the decklid of the ex-Mische/DKP Ghia now a days? I didn't get to take a look.

Carlos De Alba

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2009, 18:24:42 pm »

what's under the decklid of the ex-Mische/DKP Ghia now a days? I didn't get to take a look.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes I believe there is a motor under the decklid...............  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Cheesy Cheesy  Kiss

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2009, 18:27:24 pm »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes I believe there is a motor under the decklid...............  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Cheesy Cheesy  Kiss

you should follow suit. Maybe your car would start if there was a motor connected to your starter.  Kiss
richie

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2009, 20:55:39 pm »

Its a 2332,welded VW heads,42/37 valves,k8,1.4/1 rockers,9.5/1 compression,italian IDAS with tayco linkage,1 5/8 black coated header and dual quiet pack mufflers,

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2009, 21:33:54 pm »

Is this where that set of Scat-Tracs went?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Martin

Cash Converter....

« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2009, 22:05:19 pm »

Awesome car

Martin

9 sec street car, its just simply not fast enough

Swing axle to CV convertion is on the website now

www.taylormachine.co.uk

OFF/500
Stephan S

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2009, 22:45:07 pm »

No I have never said that But My 58 Ragtop is my 49th VW I have owned and when its Done it wont be for Sale ..

Thanks for the correction. For a moment I thought a lot of VWs went through your hands.

Der Kleiner Panzers
nicolas

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2009, 07:18:38 am »

Its a 2332,welded VW heads,42/37 valves,k8,1.4/1 rockers,9.5/1 compression,italian IDAS with tayco linkage,1 5/8 black coated header and dual quiet pack mufflers,

cheers richie,uk

sounds somewhat familiar.  Grin did sound good and looks like good fun.
LuftsickTero

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2009, 10:25:07 am »

Thanks for the correction. For a moment I thought a lot of VWs went through your hands.

if all the sarcasm is removed from that post there is nothing left  Cool Cheesy

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
Gunter

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2009, 16:05:20 pm »

plse can we go back to the original post

oh and by the way here is my thoughts
I believe you can not compare pricing of cars nor parts nor production costs
for instance
1948 : one beetle in Belgium costs 61.250 Bef which is like 1530 euros which is like 2100-2200 us dollar

so back to the original post
when will it arrive in Scotland Russell ?

Gunter.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2009, 20:59:46 pm »

I keep hearing this "twitter" crap. Sheesh. The other day I got, "Dude, aren't you on Twitter?" To which I replied, "Nope, never have... and never will, either."[/b]
I'm with you ...let's start a "put twitter in the sh*tter" movement.........printed tees/ window stickers.Old farts against technology
Old farts against technology
  That Must Be Me Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin   I dont See $50,000 to $100,000 + VW Trailer Queens Technology?  I call that Waste of Good Money [u]The Original VW Cal Look that Started it all Was Clean,Fast,Simple,and Affordable!!  [/u] I personally Think If Prices for the Cars and Parts had not Sky Rocketed like it Did and continues to, There would be alot more People involved in VW's You would think that the wheel companys could sell there Repops for alot less since they are mass prodeuced  In 1967 Original BRM's, 5 Spokes,and 8 Spokes sold for $49.95 each, Deano and Hurst Shifters were $39.95, Dont get me Wrong I know The Original's are Worth Way More Then they were in 1967 but how can anyone Justify the Price? NOS Brm's 1967 $49.95 X 4 =$199.80 to NOS BRM's 2009 $14,000.00 for a set Of 4  even Repops cost about $800.00 a set the wheel Market has Repoped  50,000 + times more wheels then there were Originals even made.   just my 2 cents cuz I spent the rest.. 
[/quote]

a gallon of gasoline cost 36 cents in 1967 too.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 21:03:04 pm by 1970 » Logged
dirk zeyen

« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2009, 21:20:10 pm »

"The Original VW Cal Look that Started it all Was Clean,Fast,Simple,and Affordable!! "
that's cal-look!!!!

SIMPLE AND AFFORDABLE we should think about that.. more fun less rules!!!

my 2 eurocent

dirk zeyen

back again!!!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2009, 01:53:07 am »

Like I said earlier, you guys who were lucky enough to be around back then were, in most cases, dealing with a relatively fresh 10-20 year old car, not a 40-50 year old basket case that needs "the works". Then while you're doing "the works" you constantly find yourself in the "while I'm here I might as well do this" mode. Those two things will make the price go up considerably. And for the most part, I also think these cars are just built a little better than they were back in the day. I got a bunch of old HotVW's magazines a few weeks ago, and while paging through them I see a lot of the feature cars state how much money was invested... average was probably only a few thousand dollars... but then you price it against a new car back then and it doesn't seem so bad. Then I think how some of those cars were probably built... bondo over trim holes and cheap paint jobs were probably much more common back then than they are today. I think these days the hobby as a whole has a higher standard of quality (coming from someone who wasn't born until 1981). And because we're here and I'm talking paint... wasn't Doug's car still original paint?! Try finding a useable (magazine quality) original paint car today!! Forget it. If you can build a clean and fast car for $20k today I think you're doing pretty good... just price out a new car.
And then you always have the guys out there that are willing to spend the dough to raise the bar...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2009, 06:25:08 am »

And then you always have the guys out there that are willing to spend the dough to raise the bar...
Wink  Cheesy  I'm into old school, as long as it has new school technology. My hole insight is to move the cal-look movement FORWARD and not leave it stagnent with arbitrary requirements. Sparking creativity IMO is much better than creating a mirrored image of someone elses car which I'm finding seems to be the norm; included with certain clubs. I personaly have always questioned "the norm" but rather spend my life accomplishing something outside the box using my own ideas. Some people have a hard time accepting that but that has always been the way I prefer to live my life.  Just my OPEN opinion!   Carry on... Kiss  Grin

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
LuftsickTero

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2009, 06:53:43 am »

Like I said earlier, you guys who were lucky enough to be around back then were, in most cases, dealing with a relatively fresh 10-20 year old car, not a 40-50 year old basket case that needs "the works". Then while you're doing "the works" you constantly find yourself in the "while I'm here I might as well do this" mode. Those two things will make the price go up considerably. And for the most part, I also think these cars are just built a little better than they were back in the day. I got a bunch of old HotVW's magazines a few weeks ago, and while paging through them I see a lot of the feature cars state how much money was invested... average was probably only a few thousand dollars... but then you price it against a new car back then and it doesn't seem so bad. Then I think how some of those cars were probably built... bondo over trim holes and cheap paint jobs were probably much more common back then than they are today. I think these days the hobby as a whole has a higher standard of quality (coming from someone who wasn't born until 1981). And because we're here and I'm talking paint... wasn't Doug's car still original paint?! Try finding a useable (magazine quality) original paint car today!! Forget it. If you can build a clean and fast car for $20k today I think you're doing pretty good... just price out a new car.

Also, if in the beginning the enthusiasts were young people finishing their studies or working for smaller wages the situation is different today. Today's young enthusiasts aren't typically interested in originally slow, cold and strange looking car with air-cooled engine, which you cannot use as daily driver in colder climate if you've invested any serious money to it. They tend to choose different type of hot car. So, today's Cal Look enthusiasts aren't kids that are broke but middle aged guys having steady job/career/etc, so why should their cars look like some minimum wage kid flipping burgers for living built in his back yard?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:55:31 am by LuftsickTero » Logged

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
cal-look 56

« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2009, 17:39:46 pm »

[/quote]

Also, if in the beginning the enthusiasts were young people finishing their studies or working for smaller wages the situation is different today. Today's young enthusiasts aren't typically interested in originally slow, cold and strange looking car with air-cooled engine, which you cannot use as daily driver in colder climate if you've invested any serious money to it. They tend to choose different type of hot car. So, today's Cal Look enthusiasts aren't kids that are broke but middle aged guys having steady job/career/etc, so why should their cars look like some minimum wage kid flipping burgers for living built in his back yard?
[/quote]

I couldnt agree more.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2009, 18:01:10 pm »

Actaully this mimics the hot rod eras... in the 50's high school & college kids were modifying their daily drivers. In the 80s they were middle aged guys building billet boydsters.

Hopefully we'll have better taste than that.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 19:44:03 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2009, 18:33:27 pm »

[/quote]

I couldnt agree more.
[/quote]

who you calling middle aged  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
kev d

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2009, 19:41:08 pm »

I couldnt agree more.
[/quote]

[/quote]

That`ll be us Ron... Wink Grin

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
cal-look 56

« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2009, 21:03:04 pm »

Hey, Hey, Hey.  I'm in that age group too Ron. Wink
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2009, 22:46:34 pm »

Zack,

Born in 1981??? That explains things better.  :-)

In talking with Doug,...he gave me the impression that someone had done an inexpensive repaint on the car.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
richie

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2009, 08:51:46 am »

cheers richie,uk
Zack,

Born in 1981??? That explains things better.  :-)

In talking with Doug,...he gave me the impression that someone had done an inexpensive repaint on the car.

Rick M

Rick,you are correct they had,it was quite nasty looking,but it got a few hours hard work by Russell and became presentable Smiley

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2009, 09:39:07 am »

Rick,you are correct they had,it was quite nasty looking,but it got a few hours hard work by Russell and became presentable Smiley
Shame he can't do the same about his appearance. Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
too old for this

« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2009, 10:09:31 am »

Shame he can't do the same about his appearance. Cheesy
OOOOh harsh Grin I think he carries off the sneakers with ankle socks combo with a certain degree of panache Wink

JG54
Russell

« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2009, 11:07:51 am »

my motto: make do with what you got.....

ankle socks are in again.... and keith you should throw stones in glass houses !

Best Regards

Russell
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: