The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:25:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VW vendors; come and gone
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: VW vendors; come and gone  (Read 26912 times)
stealth67vw

« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 00:15:46 am »

You guys are to hard on my step dad - Don Johnston - How about Barry daniels ?
Are you serial, he's your step dad? He always seemed like he didn't want to be bothered and always had a cigarette in his mouth.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
stealth67vw

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 00:17:39 am »

Peninsula Auto by the San Jose airport and Volks Authority.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2009, 00:32:46 am »

Those names don't ring a bell. I started there in May 1978.

I had forgotten about Hamag motors. While I worked there, they moved from that location on Stanton Ave. to another location further down Beach Blvd. past Cerritos. Ave.

Great story... you couldn't work retail auto parts during that time without a boat load of stories.

I went back to the Anaheim store a few years ago and there's still the tire marks from a burn out I did inside the store with my motorcycle.  Grin

Do you remember Dan Czapla who had the machine shop behind the Anaheim store?

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2009, 04:18:10 am »

hahaha Super Shops. There was one right down the road from BH in San Leandro.  their engine parts cabinet.

I hated having to go to that place! They were a nice group of dummies with giant attitudes.

Lems
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2009, 06:00:07 am »

Super Shops? We had one in Long Beach on Orange and Pacific Coast Hwy. But I don't recall any VW parts in there. Of course, I avoided that place as much has humanly possible... so maybe they did. HAHA!!

Heck, Beck-Arnley was more of a VW shop. I worked at one (Steve's Foreign Car Parts) in 1980, alongside Mike Tucker, an original D.K.K. member. That location is now Bill & Steve's in Downey, CA on Lakewood Blvd. And to this day, the very same landlord (my old boss). Haven't seen Steve M. in 29 years. But saw him at the shop, last month. I thanked him for letting me work on my orange '66 in the shop after hours, any time I wanted.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2009, 16:09:27 pm »

I had forgotten about Hamag motors. While I worked there, they moved from that location on Stanton Ave. to another location further down Beach Blvd. past Cerritos. Ave.

Great story... you couldn't work retail auto parts during that time without a boat load of stories.

I went back to the Anaheim store a few years ago and there's still the tire marks from a burn out I did inside the store with my motorcycle.  Grin

I was not aware that Hamag Motors had moved.  I thought they had just closed their doors.

Yes, working "retail" does offer many stories.  Rick Sadler was at Royze yesterday and we told each other a few from the "old days".  I was not aware that he worked for Johnny's Speed & Chrome prior to Bugpack.

Dan Czapla, now there was a great guy.  That is where I met Doug Haydon and Greg Aronson who both worked for Dan.  Greg left shortly after I arrived and started working out of his parents garage with some guy named Fleming!!   Shocked  I remember Dan had that 190SL  Mercedes and installed a Chevy 6 cylinder so it would move better.  His son Danny was in DKP I and was good friends with the Haydon's.  Did you know that one of Doug Haydon's sons is named after Dan Czapla??  I think Doug looked to Dan Sr. as a father because Doug and Whit had lost theirs at an early age.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Tony M

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2009, 16:22:32 pm »

You guys are to hard on my step dad - Don Johnston - How about Barry daniels ?
Are you serial, he's your step dad? He always seemed like he didn't want to be bothered and always had a cigarette in his mouth.
No just kidding - We go way back into the late 70's - worked in Fremont at a now closed Presision Foreign Auto Parts stores - They had 5-6 stores in the Bay Area and Monterey.

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Jim Ratto

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2009, 16:58:55 pm »

Peninsula Auto by the San Jose airport and Volks Authority.

Peninsula is still in business.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2009, 17:22:49 pm »

I was not aware that Hamag Motors had moved.  I thought they had just closed their doors.

Yes, working "retail" does offer many stories.  Rick Sadler was at Royze yesterday and we told each other a few from the "old days".  I was not aware that he worked for Johnny's Speed & Chrome prior to Bugpack.

Dan Czapla, now there was a great guy.  That is where I met Doug Haydon and Greg Aronson who both worked for Dan.  Greg left shortly after I arrived and started working out of his parents garage with some guy named Fleming!!   Shocked  I remember Dan had that 190SL  Mercedes and installed a Chevy 6 cylinder so it would move better.  His son Danny was in DKP I and was good friends with the Haydon's.  Did you know that one of Doug Haydon's sons is named after Dan Czapla??  I think Doug looked to Dan Sr. as a father because Doug and Whit had lost theirs at an early age.

Oops... I wasn't clear there. It was the BAP store that moved... not Hamag.

I didn't know that Doug and Greg worked for Dan! By the time I got there, Doug & Whit was working at their own shop on Fender. I never knew of their DKP connection until much later. You think they would have said something with my '67 being parked in front of the store all the time. I'm sure I made some deliveries in it to their shop when the truck was gone and they needed something quick.

Dan still had the 190 when I worked there... I remember him driving in past the store in that 190 while smoking his pipe. Dan was truly a great man... just a heart of gold kind of a guy.

You know it's funny what you remember... Dan had brought in a portable TV so we could watch the launch of the Challenger. We we all sitting around that TV in the back of the store to watch that tragedy unfold.

A side note to the Deeks.... Dan was my source for those cases we would take to our beach parties. He'd almost always have one that wasn't usable.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 17:25:22 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2009, 17:39:30 pm »

Here's a few parts makers or providers that has disapeared:

ARPM (sold to Dee Engineering)

Weber Cams (don't know what happend with them)

Sig Erson (sold to PBM Peroformance Products, no VW related stuff anymore)

Johnson lifters (or did they just stop making VW lifters?)

Shubeck Lifters (ceramic lifters, crashed and burned)

Weber CARBURATORS Italy (now produced in Spain)

Eagle Cams (recently to ??)

nlvtinman

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2009, 02:06:13 am »

Not that they were the greatest of vendors, but I just thought of Car Custom.  Remember how many pages of ads each month they'd have in Hot VW's.
RFbuilt

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2009, 14:58:39 pm »

not that im a socal native..

but just curious.. is Jbugs still around the Hawthorne area (hopefully im not confused LOL)   

and not related to vw's but Hobbyshack down at Hawthorne blvd (carson) is gone too right?   

lol last time i was in carson area and hermosa.. was in the mid 90s..

not yet bug bitten...  but i was tonyhawk back then HAHAHAHA
johnl

« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2009, 15:29:12 pm »

Not that they were the greatest of vendors, but I just thought of Car Custom.  Remember how many pages of ads each month they'd have in Hot VW's.

I think after Auto Haus (Rosevear Ent.) closed Lynn Rosevear worked for Car Custom for a period, possibly as a buyer.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
stealth67vw

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2009, 03:17:59 am »

Hawaiian Country V-Dubs aka Marvin Freitas in  Newark, Ca. Go in after 5PM and he was plastered and tended to give away stuff. Very smart guy. He campaigned the "Kona Gold" car in Hawaii in the 70s-80s.

who was the other guy in Newark, John... down the street from Bob's Giant Burgers... around the corner from McNulty?
You know, after thinking about this for a while it could have been Gunter Feldmeier's shop right off Central. He's a Porsche guy at Fremont Porsche now. He campaigned the Deutschland 1 drag car back in the 80s.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2009, 07:25:14 am »

and not related to vw's but Hobbyshack down at Hawthorne blvd (carson) is gone too right?   

Don't know about that particular store but Hobby Shack had to change names a few years ago... they're now Hobby People

horatiocaine

« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2009, 08:09:26 am »

Tayco
Lonnie Reeds "Head Shop"
Glendale Speed Shop
Gary Justus

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2009, 17:05:50 pm »

"but just curious.. is Jbugs still around the Hawthorne area (hopefully im not confused LOL)"

Actually, yes. It's called IPC now due to a name dispute with California Pacific JBugs down in Oceanside. BTW, the business is owned by TMI and is currently for sale as TMI is getting rid of the last of their non-interior related operations.

Not really VW vendors or parts manufacturers, but back in the late '60s and early '70s White Front, Topps, and Pep Boys had four-sided turning display racks with VW related replacement parts (atleast in my neck-o-the-woods). The racks were usually right across from similar racks that displayed Cal-Custom parts. My first "custom" steering wheel was a 12" Cal-Custom that I got in the automotive department at the White Front on Harbor & Wilken Way in Anaheim.

***Also, there was Maloney's Tire on Lemon. I had some tires mounted there but I think DEANO has some better stories.
***And don't forget about the Orange Drive-In swapmeet. There were always guys selling VW stuff there. I got my first 8-spokes there!
kingsburgphil

« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2009, 06:40:16 am »

Anyone out there remember the name of the VW parts warehouse in Santa Ana, circa 1980 that burned down in a spectacular mag fire. The place was full of
NOS VW parts, late 60's & 70's. Lots of good stuff, some lame junk (411 seats!). It was a tragic loss in hind sight, rumors labeled it as a victim of "jewish lightning" (arson).
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2009, 06:56:03 am »

Phil, Was that Pacific Core?

Also, I see you were a founder of the Rometsch Registry. Do you remember Mary who had a Rometsch and worked at an auto parts store on 17th street just east of the 55 Fwy next to the Ralph's Market?

kingsburgphil

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2009, 09:43:57 am »

Phil, Was that Pacific Core?

Also, I see you were a founder of the Rometsch Registry. Do you remember Mary who had a Rometsch and worked at an auto parts store on 17th street just east of the 55 Fwy next to the Ralph's Market?
Thanks for remembering Maribeth, she worked at the Beck Arnely store there in Tustin. She also worked for VW dealers, Bap Geon and several years at
Bugs For You, but her hardest job was staying married to me for 23 years.    We lost her 1996.....

Pacific Core is correct, what a loss. I'd guess they were buying old stock from VW in Culver City, and I figured they'd always be there, so why stock up?.......

I could use a good fortune teller  Undecided
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:54:16 am by kingsburgphil » Logged
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2009, 16:16:15 pm »

That's right Maribeth! I'm sorry for your loss Phil.  Cry

I always enjoyed talking to her when I went into that Beck Arnley store.

When did she work for BAP? I was there from '78 to '88. I started in Santa Ana and then moved to Anaheim.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 16:19:05 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

johnl

« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2009, 16:40:20 pm »

"but just curious.. is Jbugs still around the Hawthorne area (hopefully im not confused LOL)"

Actually, yes. It's called IPC now due to a name dispute with California Pacific JBugs down in Oceanside. BTW, the business is owned by TMI and is currently for sale as TMI is getting rid of the last of their non-interior related operations.

Not really VW vendors or parts manufacturers, but back in the late '60s and early '70s White Front, Topps, and Pep Boys had four-sided turning display racks with VW related replacement parts (atleast in my neck-o-the-woods). The racks were usually right across from similar racks that displayed Cal-Custom parts. My first "custom" steering wheel was a 12" Cal-Custom that I got in the automotive department at the White Front on Harbor & Wilken Way in Anaheim.

***Also, there was Maloney's Tire on Lemon. I had some tires mounted there but I think DEANO has some better stories.
***And don't forget about the Orange Drive-In swapmeet. There were always guys selling VW stuff there. I got my first 8-spokes there!

Also, there was Maloney's Tire on Lemon.  If we are speaking of Maloney's Tire in Anaheim I don't remember them ever being on Lemon.  Maloney's was on Los Angeles St., later Anaheim Blvd.  just a few hundred feet south of Schneider Motors.  I was a regular customer and knew everyone there.  My first set of Pirelli Cinturatos (sp) came from them and I saw my first Olds Torranado front wheel drive there.  Also something of significance I think was a guy that was peddling "VW wheel adapters to a Chevy bolt pattern whcih had to be the very beginning of that movement.  I was amazed by that and shortly afterwards had a pair of American Torquethrust Chevy blot pattern wheels on the back of the Butternunt car when it was painted Firemist Green.

This also brings to mind the"101 Speed Shop" on Harbor Blvd. at the corner of Commonwealth in Fullerton.  This was basically a chrome and wheel shop where I purchased my first pair of VW chrome wheels (non slotted) and also saw my first set of raider wheels.  This would have been about January of 1964.  This building still exist today and is a Jewelry and fine China store.  This is only a few blocks from Bill Schwimmer and John Rayburn's homes.  One other thing that came from 101 was they had an extensive decal seciton to choose from.  Some of us use to buy various decals and cut them up and make our own.  Once all of the individual pieces were placed on the rear side windows and set up we took model paint and filled in anything inside the paramiter.  From the outside it looked like a perfect decal, but on the inside you could see the brush marks.  The custom making of decals pre dates the DKP era. 

johnl

« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2009, 16:57:06 pm »

Also, there was Maloney's Tire on Lemon.  If we are speaking of Maloney's Tire in Anaheim I don't remember them ever being on Lemon.  Maloney's was on Los Angeles St., later Anaheim Blvd.  just a few hundred feet south of Schneider Motors.  I was a regular customer and knew everyone there.  My first set of Pirelli Cinturatos (sp) came from them and I saw my first Olds Torranado front wheel drive there.  Also something of significance I think was a guy that was peddling "VW wheel adapters to a Chevy bolt pattern whcih had to be the very beginning of that movement.  I was amazed by that and shortly afterwards had a pair of American Torquethrust Chevy blot pattern wheels on the back of the Butternunt car when it was painted Firemist Green.

This also brings to mind the"101 Speed Shop" on Harbor Blvd. at the corner of Commonwealth in Fullerton.  This was basically a chrome and wheel shop where I purchased my first pair of VW chrome wheels (non slotted) and also saw my first set of raider wheels.  This would have been about January of 1964.  This building still exist today and is a Jewelry and fine China store.  This is only a few blocks from Bill Schwimmer and John Rayburn's homes.  One other thing that came from 101 was they had an extensive decal seciton to choose from.  Some of us use to buy various decals and cut them up and make our own.  Once all of the individual pieces were placed on the rear side windows and set up we took model paint and filled in anything inside the paramiter.  From the outside it looked like a perfect decal, but on the inside you could see the brush marks.  The custom making of decals pre dates the DKP era. 

Here is a bit more history regarding the Maloney's building on Los Angeles St.  That building along with the building next to the Fox Fullerton Movie Theather on Harbor Blvd. in the city of Fullerton were built originally either by Firestone or Goodyear as factory outlets.  Construction of these was done in the early 1900's.  There may have been more of them, but I was told this probably 40 years ago.  The Fullerton location still stands and has been turned into kind of a mini mall.  Once again this location is just blocks away from the Schwimmer and Rayburn homes.  Next time you are in the area take a look at the theater and the building just to the south that is actually attached.

One last bit of usless trivia is directly behind that old tire store (to the east) was Tyree Headers owned and operated by Jess Tyree.  This was one of the more notable local Header names back in the day.  There was a gal named Rita Rider that worked for Auto Haus at the warehouse for a number of years that was related.  I remember that Jess was involved in a bad fire and injured severely.  Don't know when the brand ceased to exist

Dave Galassi

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2009, 17:52:07 pm »

Also something of significance I think was a guy that was peddling "VW wheel adapters to a Chevy bolt pattern whcih had to be the very beginning of that movement.  I was amazed by that and shortly afterwards had a pair of American Torquethrust Chevy blot pattern wheels on the back of the Butternunt car when it was painted Firemist Green.

John, that wouldn't be Gene Scott would it?  He had just started "Wheel a dapt" at that point.  He also owned Ford Obsolete in El Monte, one of the early Ford parts reproducers.

johnl

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2009, 18:14:47 pm »

To much free time on my hands....  I did some searching on Jess Tyree and found the following:  http://www.prwonlinestore.com/jess-tyree.html  I'm not sure if he is still living, but if so he would be in his late 70's.  Attached is a photo of one of his Pontiac's doing what all VW guys love to do, BURNOUTS  Grin Grin Grin Grin  I've never really been a "GM" guy, but always did have a thing for certain Pontiacs.

johnl

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2009, 18:32:55 pm »

Also something of significance I think was a guy that was peddling "VW wheel adapters to a Chevy bolt pattern whcih had to be the very beginning of that movement.  I was amazed by that and shortly afterwards had a pair of American Torquethrust Chevy blot pattern wheels on the back of the Butternunt car when it was painted Firemist Green.

John, that wouldn't be Gene Scott would it?  He had just started "Wheel a dapt" at that point.  He also owned Ford Obsolete in El Monte, one of the early Ford parts reproducers.

Dave, leave it to you to come up with a question like this. 

I have no idea who the guy was, but remember him not being much older (visually) than me at the time.  This would have been around 1965 I think.  What I do remember is Don at Maloney's buying about six sets for his inventory and once the word got out they went fast.  The adapters were rather crude in looking back.  They were a pressed steel with studs pressed through and added about 3/4" more width before installing a wider rim than normal.  This put the tires usually out over the fender edge and tire rubbing became an issue.  The cops would site you for the tire out past the fender thus we started making fender lip extensions aout of aluminum to appease the law.  The guy that was selling them drove a mid '60's sedan in blue and had all four wheels with American's (Chevy bolt pattern) on his car.  I stood there in amazement probably like the first time I saw a naked girl...... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I have a photo somewhere (can't find it currently) of my '63 Butternut car in green with this exact setup.  Possibly it is an Edmistion photo.  Anyway if I find it I'll post for all to see.  James, if you are out there possibly you can assist with a photo??

deano

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2009, 20:33:09 pm »

One of my all time favs early on was the Custom House, on Whittier Blvd. in La Habra. My brother bought some chrome dash parts from the guy with the rope tie (JohnL remember his name?), along with a Quick-shift and other doo-dads. Tiny little corner store.... was his logo The Itch Spot? I also used to hang out at Newhouse Speed Shop in Montebello as well. Like Blair's in Pasadena, tons of used speed parts - all worth zillions today.

I spent the bulk of my VW money at Auto Haus (Beach Blvd, and Dale Street), then later on, the Orange store, F&A, and Gene Berg (first location),

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
kingsburgphil

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2009, 20:36:33 pm »

When did she work for BAP? I was there from '78 to '88. I started in Santa Ana and then moved to Anaheim.
Thanks for the kind words Rick. We both worked at the Anaheim store in 74-75 approx. She worked for Ron, and later some manager named Phil,
while I worked for Dan back in the shop.

Doe's anyone remember the small VW wrecking yard in Santa Ana on east 1st. street, near the big Excelsior creamery. I had to crawl over the oval parts to get to the newer stuff...silly me!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 21:24:13 pm by kingsburgphil » Logged
johnl

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2009, 22:51:33 pm »

One of my all time favs early on was the Custom House, on Whittier Blvd. in La Habra. My brother bought some chrome dash parts from the guy with the rope tie (JohnL remember his name?), along with a Quick-shift and other doo-dads. Tiny little corner store.... was his logo The Itch Spot? I also used to hang out at Newhouse Speed Shop in Montebello as well. Like Blair's in Pasadena, tons of used speed parts - all worth zillions today.

I spent the bulk of my VW money at Auto Haus (Beach Blvd, and Dale Street), then later on, the Orange store, F&A, and Gene Berg (first location),

Dean,  I'm thinking the guy with the "rope tie" may have been Willie's son.  Was he tall and thin?  If so he later ran the business after Willie had passed or just became to old to be there.  He was completely the opposite of his Dad and wasn't very user friendly. 

In later years (my time at Auto Haus) the son wanted to buy some product from us and was EXTREMELY difficult to deal with.  Also I think there was a problem with him paying his bills.  Anyway, not to long after all of that the Custom House was history.  Sad, but it seems to be the way of the world.

Side note:  I've written about this before, but long before the Custom House was in La Habra they were still on the Blvd., but actually in Whittier on the south side of the street.  I think that house (building) may still be there.  Willie had the 1960 black sedan that made my car look dirty and had every gadget known to man on it including a Judson.. Cool Cool Cool

Last, thanks a bunch for spending all of your $$ at Auto Haus as it kept 48's on Butternut and bread on my table. Wink Wink Wink Wink

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2009, 23:24:43 pm »

Thanks for the kind words Rick. We both worked at the Anaheim store in 74-75 approx. She worked for Ron, and later some manager named Phil,
while I worked for Dan back in the shop.

Doe's anyone remember the small VW wrecking yard in Santa Ana on east 1st. street, near the big Excelsior creamery. I had to crawl over the oval parts to get to the newer stuff...silly me!

You're not thinking of Wrecks West? Was it on 1st or 5th? There was a lot of wrecking yards on 5th. I barely remember the Excelsior creamery but I couldn't tell you where it was at.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: