The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:41:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP Jackets
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: DKP Jackets  (Read 38505 times)
johnl

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 20:38:59 pm »

Here is a couple of shots of the car incase you missed it.  It is so tiny you might have......... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 21:01:01 pm »

Hop in my Chrysler,
it's as big as a whale
and it's about to set sail!
I got me a car, it seats about twenty
So c'mon and bring your jukebox money.

The Love Shack is a little old place
where we can get together

Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
beetletom

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 21:07:58 pm »

i think its a bit sad some 'non' members collect dkp stuff...
surly, people in the club have earnt their place in it, and others have not by buying jackets or stickers to feel a part of it.

you wouldn't put a dkp sticker or paint a huge gfk logo on your back window?
johnl

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 21:13:39 pm »

Hop in my Chrysler,
it's as big as a whale
and it's about to set sail!
I got me a car, it seats about twenty
So c'mon and bring your jukebox money.

The Love Shack is a little old place
where we can get together

Grin

Mine will only seat six comfortably inside, but you could possibly put the remaining fourteen in the trunk.............. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

--louis

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 21:23:57 pm »

where were you John? I always seem to miss you.

That was me with the walker !!  Grin Grin  Actually I said goodby to you when you drove out.  I was standing with John (Moon Man) Rayburn.  My '56 Chrysler 300B was parked in the first slot.  You can go back and still see the ground sunk in where it was parked...... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Oh hey...sorry I was trying to hear what Dkk Fred was mumbling on about  Grin and keep from running over Jayburn's toes. Sorry if I spit unburnt gas all over your shins guys, my car's a little cold blooded....guess it's gotten used to 100F+ lately.

I like Sarge's '67. Somehow it came equipped with a bar.  Shocked
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 05:08:56 am »

Hey John, just curious if you have any idea how many DKP1 jackets were issued to members? Also any idea about DKP2? Just trying to see how rare these are with Peters and Fog. I noticed some were stitched in yellow stitching ergo..Members name, club name. I have also seen a DKP jacket in blue (very early) but that could have been a personal touch from a certain member??  Thanks for info.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:06:59 am by vdubkid » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 08:40:00 am »

*Thread moderated*: Pretty much 50% of this thread was removed. Please keep your personal arguments offline from this forum.
We do not accept personal attacks/insults of any kind. Now lets get back on track.

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

johnl

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 15:27:13 pm »

Hey John, just curious if you have any idea how many DKP1 jackets were issued to members? Also any idea about DKP2? Just trying to see how rare these are with Peters and Fog. I noticed some were stitched in yellow stitching ergo..Members name, club name. I have also seen a DKP jacket in blue (very early) but that could have been a personal touch from a certain member??  Thanks for info.

Now you have me throwing a dart at the board.  I would say possibly 25 to 30 of the original Peters and London Fogs combined.  Some members back in the day didn't have jackets. 

Regarding DKP II I have no idea at all.  Possibly some of the guys from that era can comment.

I do not remember any "blue DKP jackets".  Are you saying that had some kind of a patch attached?  If so it may have been something that someone just did on their own.

Last night at dinner I was telling my wife Christie about this thread.  She was there in some of the early days and came up with a question to me that I couldn't answer.  The club decals were a black or very dark blue, so where did the "burgundy" color for the jackets come from?  Any of you original guys have input??

Russell

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 16:05:39 pm »

Oh I was told there was some interesting comments on here and would have loved to have read them but was too late, if anyone has any comments that i missed relating to myself please email/pm me directly.

The DKP1 jacket that i have was given to me from Arnie when i purchased his car he was extremely upset as he had kept it in a safe place inside the car...... however the little field mice that through the roof lining was very tasty quite liked the jacket as well !!! Ill post some pictures of the jacket in shreds the badge is OK but it does look kinda cool when draped over the passenger seat.

On the subject of club collectables its great to see so many people have a passion for collections, its like fine art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder........

Best Regards

Russell
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 16:07:05 pm »

OK, John, here's another one: I understand the club badges used on the early jackets were made by a lady by the name of Lucille. What was the connection there?

Hey, if you can do posts in colo(u)r, so can I! Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
johnl

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 16:25:46 pm »

OK, John, here's another one: I understand the club badges used on the early jackets were made by a lady by the name of Lucille. What was the connection there?

Hey, if you can do posts in colo(u)r, so can I! Cheesy

Keith,

Lucille was an older lady that was located in Anaheim who did the club jacket patches.  I think Peter Dayton found her as she was located close to Anaheim High School that Dayton, Huggins and myself attended.  Gregg Bunch has some info on her and the cost of the patch which was extrememely low for what you got.  What I'm saying by this is there was a good amount of work put into each one.  The patch was as you know a blue background with yellow or gold stiching which tied in closely to the club logo color.

I thought about something after one of my last post.  Club jackets were not assigned to members.  Anyone could walk into the stores that carried them and make a purchase.  Getting the patch was a bit harder as one had to be a member and then pay a few bucks for it.  I think only one patch was available for each member.

Regarding my post in color, I've done it from almost the beginning as it is easy for me to locate my stuff to reply to others.  So son, here is another lesson for you younger lads.  Grin Grin Grin Grin  I like the colo(u)r you've chosen as it is sooooooooooooo you..............   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked   Wink

cal-look 56

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 16:26:12 pm »

On the subject of club collectables its great to see so many people have a passion for collections, its like fine art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder........

Agreed.  I feel as if the members dont have a problem with it and nobody is trying to pose as a member, then who gives a shit who owns it now as long as it's for collecting purposes. If someone can afford these cars, than be thankful they are being kept in all their glory instead of being destroyed.  Regardless of  who owns them now.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 16:38:16 pm »

So son, here is another lesson for you younger lads.  Grin Grin Grin Grin  I like the colo(u)r you've chosen as it is sooooooooooooo you..............   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked   Wink
Thanks uncle…  Grin

johnl

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 16:48:24 pm »

So son, here is another lesson for you younger lads.  Grin Grin Grin Grin  I like the colo(u)r you've chosen as it is sooooooooooooo you..............   Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked   Wink
Thanks uncle…  Grin

Your welcome you young rebel.  And, get a haircut......................... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   Wink

Russell

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2009, 22:08:17 pm »

Heres Arnies old jacket, looking at the badge it seems to be bigger than the normal ones....... and its an Oakbrook Sportswear Jacket !

Sarge/John any idea why this would be Huh  Maybe its a copy  Wink

Oh and the mouse holes.....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 22:20:31 pm by Russell Ritchie » Logged

Best Regards

Russell
Russell

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 22:10:56 pm »

Oh and i know this is off topic but his other Jacket was a Peters, however it was from DRF and was even more tastier for that mouse....

Best Regards

Russell
johnl

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 22:40:24 pm »

Heres Arnies old jacket, looking at the badge it seems to be bigger than the normal ones....... and its an Oakbrook Sportswear Jacket !

Russell, I'd have to agree.  There is something strange about that patch.  To me it looks more round than what I have.  Also, the VW logo looks different.  Possibly there were different batches run, but I sure don't remember what you are displaying.  I always thought we just had one production run made, but then that was a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago.   Embarrassed Embarrassed  John

johnl

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 22:47:45 pm »

Russell, you should have figured that one out.  DKP was formed in Anaheim and what other rather famous thing is in Anaheim?  And regarding that place what famous creature rules there?  We'll just refer to him is "The Rich Rat", but actually he goes by another name.  Possibly he feasted on Arnie's jacket before you obtained it.....................    Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Russell

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 22:52:28 pm »

John

The feasting happened when the car was stored in Nebraska over winter where Arnie now resides. So its not Uncle Mickeys fault !

Best Regards

Russell
johnl

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2009, 23:23:54 pm »

John

The feasting happened when the car was stored in Nebraska over winter where Arnie now resides. So its not Uncle Mickeys fault !

Mickey has enough bucks that he might just vacation in Nebraska in certain barns.......  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

kingsburgphil

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 04:43:42 am »

Is there anyone out there kind enough to sell me a DRF patch? Nos or repro ok, if not a hi-res photo in my email will do.
Seems I out grew my old club jacket 3 decades ago and apparently have misplaced it.  Grin
Ron Greiner

DKP II

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 05:18:21 am »

my dkpII club jacket was by Mr Leggs
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 05:27:53 am »

Did it come packed in a plastic egg?

I also park at Nick's.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 08:05:39 am »

The DKP II jacket I have is also a Mr Legg's but has exactly the same large badge that is on Arnie's jacket...

Edit: See below. Very different!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 16:08:50 pm by Fastbrit » Logged

Neil Davies

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 09:12:26 am »

Maybe Arnie's badge is a DKPII one - was he active with DKP in it's first and second incarnations?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
vwcab

peter

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 09:44:01 am »

Nice pieces of history Russell,but are these gonne be restored like the cars in the VWGG?   Smiley

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Sarge

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 13:11:17 pm »

Here's a pic of my original jacket patch.... huge difference.  I know Arnie had his own DKP club in Nebraska for a while, going so far as to make cards and a dash plaque, so maybe he had patches made, too.

DKP III
deano

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 15:45:20 pm »

I can tell you that there appears to be at least three different large jacket patches made. Roger Grago's has a black background, and the detail work on the breast of the "bird" is no where near that of Sarge's. And that would be DKP II issue of course.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 16:25:12 pm by deano » Logged

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
johnl

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 15:59:16 pm »

My DKP I jacket patch is exactly like Sarge's as per my memory.  Guess I should get it out and verify.  Note the patch is more of an oval rather than round and even the VW logo looks different than Arnie's.

deano

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 16:01:42 pm »

Yes, Roger's patch is round. I guess we should change the name of this "thread" to DKP Patch 101.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: