The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:04:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP Jackets
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: DKP Jackets  (Read 38417 times)
johnl

« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2010, 00:02:17 am »

I think right now I could use an Industrial Stength pair of DEPENDS.. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2010, 09:44:35 am »

You mean stronger than the present ones?  Shocked Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
jholmes

1975 Cal Look

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2010, 19:00:38 pm »

As I recall the very first jackets that were ordered when Pete Dayton was president they were London Fogs.  After some time passed and we needed to order more for the new members and to replace some of the old ones.  London Fog no longer carried our color or style (not real sure what the case was) so we found almost the same jackets from Peters and were less expensive for us.  That's how I remember it!!

Der Kleiner Panzers
johnl

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2010, 17:59:11 pm »

As I recall the very first jackets that were ordered when Pete Dayton was president they were London Fogs.  After some time passed and we needed to order more for the new members and to replace some of the old ones.  London Fog no longer carried our color or style (not real sure what the case was) so we found almost the same jackets from Peters and were less expensive for us.  That's how I remember it!!

After seeing this post Jim Holmes and I e-mailed and I also contacted Huggins who verified that the Peters Jackets were definitely the first ones.  Huggins stated as he remembers the reason was there were more of them available at the time and even more important they were less money than the Fogs.  It has been about 45 years so some of the memories are a bit (bad choice of words) FOGGY.   Wink  Jim of course was also there in the beginnings and he thinks he has owned two jackets over the years.  LUCKY MAN !!!   Cool

Update on mine.  Last week I took it to the dry cleaners we use and did a lengthy explanation as to why this piece of cloth deserved such care.  The gal seemed to understand and said they would check a small area with the cleaning fluids before doing the entire jacket.  Yesterday I went to pick it up holding my breath and she had a big smile  Smiley Smiley on her face.  It came out as NEW.  Cool Cool  There was one missing button on a sleeve that she was able to match and a minor seam stitching repair.  I left a happy man.   Grin Grin

Now I must start the hunt for my original DKP Patch.  I know I put it in a safe place, but have to find where that safe place is.  I suspect this may be the best "original" Peters DKP jacket in existence and I'll certainly treat it as such.  SEE, DREAMS CAN COME TRUE...

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2010, 18:12:24 pm »

cool john as you said you're a lucky man  Cool

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
johnl

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2010, 18:41:56 pm »

cool john as you said you're a lucky man  Cool

I have to throw this in.  As I was finishing my previous post I was buzzed on the phone.  Peter Dayton was there and we had a good chat.  He and his wife Claudia are spending a week with Gary Huggins in the Tucson area.  Got to speak with Huggins as well and gave him the "jacket" update.  He was pleased.   Wink ;)It is always good to talk to old fiends like those two as I feel without their efforts way back most of this VW stuff might not be happening today.

70slooker

hello

« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2012, 08:39:28 am »

sorry to bring up the old, but i read this one tonight and couldnt help but to add my part,

i would really want to see if ron flemming still had his and if someone could post a picture.... the stories that one could tell!  Grin
very cool subject i can remember the first time i saw the guys in their colours for the first time around 2001, to a cal look liking kid it was like seeing a king or something impressive to have such a unique history!

Zündfolge Car Club
johnl

« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2012, 17:21:35 pm »

sorry to bring up the old, but i read this one tonight and couldnt help but to add my part,

i would really want to see if ron flemming still had his and if someone could post a picture.... the stories that one could tell!  Grin
very cool subject i can remember the first time i saw the guys in their colours for the first time around 2001, to a cal look liking kid it was like seeing a king or something impressive to have such a unique history!

Ron Fleming does still have his original DKP Peters jacket and wears it occasionally.  Unlike some of us Ron has maintained his size so the jacket still fits pretty good. 

Here is a photo of Ron and his Frost Wife Lisa at one of the Bug-Ins, probably 1970 or 1971 leaning against my car (then Firemist Green) wearing the jacket.

« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2012, 20:08:39 pm »

Great photo !
It really captures the feeling of the times.
 Smiley
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2012, 23:16:09 pm »

And that's "before" he grew his hair long!!     Cheesy
johnl

« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2012, 23:21:52 pm »

And that's "before" he grew his hair long!!     Cheesy

Back then some of us actually had HAIR............... Ron and I lost most of our hair before we lost our minds.......   Wink Wink Wink Wink

So.Cal.Life

« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2012, 23:39:48 pm »

Whatever it is that's left within my skull, must be great hair food, no shortage of hair ......... sorry     Grin
Dominick Luppino

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2012, 16:30:48 pm »

Cool, how can I purchase a DKP Jacket it will go nice with the window decal I bought off of eBay, BTW it looks nice on the quarter window of my Chevy Vega Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: