The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:33:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  VW powered dragster nostalgia style
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: VW powered dragster nostalgia style  (Read 56274 times)
ottobros

« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2009, 16:58:23 pm »

We use collapsible sterring columne the tube is collapsible ( drill some holes in ) and a fragile rubber in front
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 15:24:28 pm by ottobros » Logged
Frallan

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2009, 09:11:56 am »

Rebel,
Here is a trip down Memory Lane.
A lot of old pictures and from four of my dragsters we built but maybe it could inspire you a little bit more to go ahead?

First the Pank built in 1977.
On this car we really built a lot ourselves.
Spindles, front wheels with own hubs and Italian magnesium rims.
The steering rack modified to be lighter than a Stilletto model just for the sake of it.
Gas welded CroMoly.....that taught us a lesson or two before we mastered temperatures and stressrelieving on this very sensitive material. Even room temperature is critical.

And a memory lane picture from our first testrun...worn down home made camshafts, and the flame hardening just did not work.
Look how half ready the car was. Rubber just wrapped around the flywheel housing and a lot of quick fixes.
The date is April 1978

Here comes some pictures from 1982.
The monocoque experiment. I really regret not building further on thsi concept. It could have been a pretty nice car but it quickly changed shape due to circumstances I am still too shy to share.

Here the loop around the gas pedal can be seen.

Now a mix from two other cars.
Year are 1982-1983
Note the wheelie bar. I think we were testing this at the same time as similar concept was popping up in USA.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2009, 11:24:50 am »

cool pictures frallan , does some of them still exist today Huh

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Frallan

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2009, 12:56:04 pm »

Only the Pank one and that is the same as the one were my daughter is in posting above. It is under renovation.
Ahh well maybe one more is around. The one with a-arm front end.
I gave it away to my best friend who put a small block SC Chevy in. Then it was sold to Germany and driven for some season there. Might still be around.

sam P

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2009, 18:28:43 pm »

Those are some amazing shots, Frallan! A dragster with blown SU carbed honda engine with belt driven vertex magneto?! Too cool! Is it a motorcycle engine?

ugly duckling

« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2009, 22:13:16 pm »

thanks frallan for the  8)shots looks more like one of the original small cvicc engines.  UD .

SlingShot

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2009, 06:39:55 am »

Frallan...Can you shed some light on your engine configuration?

BTW love this picture!!!

Will Race For Beer !!!
Frallan

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2009, 13:49:04 pm »

Those are some amazing shots, Frallan! A dragster with blown SU carbed honda engine with belt driven vertex magneto?! Too cool! Is it a motorcycle engine?

It is a Honda Civic 1238 cc engine. I carried it under one of my arms...fantastic engine. Light, strong and high potential at the time. Today it is motorcycle engines that counts in that size.
Magnacharger MC80. Fantadstic good small roots blower.
SU 2" with no float but rather a overflow levels system running methanol. Very intersting way to tune it by mostly having different needles done with different profiles and then finally by having a movable seat. Super simple in many ways.
The engine ran counterclockwise.

In the first monocoque dragster we simply ran the gerabox upside down......not a good idea to run a gearbox in wrong direction if the geras are not stright. It worked but not so easy to change geras as I needed a strong hand.

In the latest version in the long rail we ran a Dough Nash 5 speed and a old bus reduction gear in between to reduce rpm and also change rotation. That worked really good!

Frallan

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2009, 13:54:09 pm »

Do you mean the VW with 911 heads?
If yes I can guide you to a couple of threads at Shoptalkforums that covers my and many other similar engines in detail.

If it is the Honda, it is simply a slightly modified Civic engine, ported heads, performance cam, lightened, balanced, special piston with gasports by myself.
The rest of the installation is pretty straightforward.
MC80 roots blower running 25-30 psi on methanol.
Really nice to go through the 5 gears on the Dough Nash at 8-9000 rpm.

ESH

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2009, 14:29:40 pm »

If yes I can guide you to a couple of threads at Shoptalkforums that covers my and many other similar engines in detail.

There was also a thread on it on here by Ole a while back: Swedish Flat Four OHC Dragster
Frallan

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2009, 19:52:39 pm »

There was also a thread on it on here by Ole a while back: Swedish Flat Four OHC Dragster

[/quote]

Thanks Mat,

I had not seen that thread and the picture is new to me also.
Anyway, here is a much more detailed thread on 911 conversion.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59308

ESH

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2009, 00:01:29 am »

I had not seen that thread and the picture is new to me also.
Anyway, here is a much more detailed thread on 911 conversion.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59308

You're not kidding on the detail. Interesting link though I've only read through the first two pages so far.  Cool
SlingShot

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2009, 14:26:06 pm »

[/quote]

Yes, that is a very cool setup, I looked at the shoptalk post for a while, interesting stuff. May have to build one someday  Smiley

Will Race For Beer !!!
ottobros

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2009, 15:47:47 pm »

I found this on the intrenet the 2 car is build by Dean Lowery
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 15:55:21 pm by ottobros » Logged
PiL

« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2009, 17:42:14 pm »

Thought I recognised the blower...I have a NOS one in my parts stash! Grin

It is a Honda Civic 1238 cc engine. I carried it under one of my arms...fantastic engine. Light, strong and high potential at the time. Today it is motorcycle engines that counts in that size.
Magnacharger MC80. Fantadstic good small roots blower.
SU 2" with no float but rather a overflow levels system running methanol. Very intersting way to tune it by mostly having different needles done with different profiles and then finally by having a movable seat. Super simple in many ways.
The engine ran counterclockwise.

In the first monocoque dragster we simply ran the gerabox upside down......not a good idea to run a gearbox in wrong direction if the geras are not stright. It worked but not so easy to change geras as I needed a strong hand.

In the latest version in the long rail we ran a Dough Nash 5 speed and a old bus reduction gear in between to reduce rpm and also change rotation. That worked really good!

Check out the build of my new race car at:

http://pilsvw.blogspot.com/
Frallan

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2009, 07:45:33 am »

Quote from: ottobros
I found this on the intrenet the 2 car is build by Dean Lowery
[/quote

Very cool pictures Ottobros.
Deans car is extraordinary with a sidewinder configuration. Any idea from the source what year this was?

ottobros

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2009, 17:13:31 pm »

HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM THE OTTO BROTHERS
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2009, 22:20:58 pm »

Awesome pictures and documentation of a very early stage in Scandinavian VW-racing Frallan!
Here's a couple of pics of the Pank engine. Cool or what? You can spend quite some time just looking at that thing.
Really looking forward to seeing the Pank restored and race ready!

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: