The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 16:24:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  My 67 notch expands to 2.2 liter (+beefed up gearbox)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: My 67 notch expands to 2.2 liter (+beefed up gearbox)  (Read 63250 times)
Nick

« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2010, 00:01:55 am »

Okay, thanks ! Smiley I'll try this on my next engine !
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2011, 19:05:10 pm »

Congrats on the very nice feature in Ultra VW Felix!

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
achim

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2011, 23:08:27 pm »

Hi Felix

Question: I am still planing my 1776 Type3 motor! is there any reason why you used a 26mm Oil pump and not a 30mm ? is there maybe not enough place? I will use a schleicher 324°Cam and i think this cam will fit only with a 30mm oil pump after 71" ! Maybe you could give me some Advice? Should i rather use a Pauter Cam and the small Pump or do you think it will fit with a 30mm one?

thanks for your advice--- achim from switzerland---
Felix/DFL

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2011, 21:29:47 pm »

Huh  Huh Huh huh what, tell me more!
What I know is that there may be a feauture in Ultra to the end of the year (Pic`s by Stephan S.)

Hi Felix

Question: I am still planing my 1776 Type3 motor! is there any reason why you used a 26mm Oil pump and not a 30mm ? is there maybe not enough place? I will use a schleicher 324°Cam and i think this cam will fit only with a 30mm oil pump after 71" ! Maybe you could give me some Advice? Should i rather use a Pauter Cam and the small Pump or do you think it will fit with a 30mm one?

thanks for your advice--- achim from switzerland---

Hey Achim,
I selected the 26mm pump as it deliveres enought oil-flow in my point of view (bluprinted of course, and they ALL need to be blueprinted if not somebody before done that...) Why deliver more oil that is than blown away at the regulator, and that oil is created by using Watts...
Keep in mind that the axial play is the main factor for created oil flow. It`s even a goog idea to seal the pump to the case. Before closing the case install the pump and seal the inletport to the case / outlet if you are not going full flow which I wouldn`t recomend. Berg sealing for the poor man...
Disadvantage: If you ever pull the pump! There goes your sealing... Then make yourself a O-Ring grove on a lathe and seal via o-Ring.

The only benifit of a blueprinted 30mm is that you get a bit more oil flow (due to that oil pressure) at hot idle. But then you may have a problem with too much leakage, , bad oil cooler, to much delta pressure on the way pump to xxx to case, worn out bearings or other problems...

The 30mm Pump will fit with the typ-3 setup only if you modify the front housing. I needed to modify (made a hole which was seled after installing front housing) for my 1776 as I used a CB 26mm full flow pump with outlet/inlet. My 26mm needed only a bit shorter studs on the left half and a small radius at the housing. I am using the CSP full flow cover without panic valve.
I am missing the summer.Have fun!
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2011, 23:32:24 pm »

Disadvantage: If you ever pull the pump! There goes your sealing... Then make yourself a O-Ring grove on a lathe and seal via o-Ring.

Felix, and then... I had issues with o-ringed pumps, the o-ring crumbles up after re-installing the pump in a torqued case. Your thoughts ?

Done ? Not Yet.
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2011, 23:41:15 pm »

Huh  Huh Huh huh what, tell me more!
What I know is that there may be a feauture in Ultra to the end of the year (Pic`s by Stephan S.)

Check the February 2011 issue Smiley

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
carlito421

« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2011, 10:37:17 am »

Here in Bit Burg at DDD#2 2004

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2011, 12:07:16 pm »

amazing, that notch is still looking sharp and shiny 6 years later!!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Felix/DFL

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2011, 22:45:15 pm »

Felix, and then... I had issues with o-ringed pumps, the o-ring crumbles up after re-installing the pump in a torqued case. Your thoughts ?

Hmmh, a berg pump or home grown? Often the o-rings are selected to big. Remember that the ring grows up under temp and oil influence.
Did you try loosing the case nuts at the pump location?

@Carlito: Nice pic I haven`t seen for some years. It is very presentable for the normal madnees. Car=shining / Owner=uncared due to all the time went into the car...
After DDD2 we had a nice holiday week in belgium and the went to the Spa meeting. Lot of fun.

As said car is now in hovercraft-mod. Waiting for the gearbox and other small & big things to come.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Ole

« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2011, 18:09:43 pm »

As said car is now in hovercraft-mod. Waiting for the gearbox and other small & big things to come.

Hhmmm, where have I seen something like that before... Huh

Ahh, I remember... Wink Cheesy

May the force be with you... Smiley

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
Harry/FDK

« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2011, 21:36:07 pm »

Hmmh, a berg pump or home grown? Often the o-rings are selected to big. Remember that the ring grows up under temp and oil influence.
Did you try loosing the case nuts at the pump location? Quote/Unquote.

Berg Pump, i even tried a super tight Viton ring, but it crumbles up as well. (of course with loosening the nuts/bolts around the pump area).

Done ? Not Yet.
The Action Is Go

« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2011, 07:40:09 am »

Here in Bit Burg at DDD#2 2004

Any chance you have a pic of the white sedan with the gold Empi's behind the Notch?
Tobi/DFL

« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2011, 10:56:58 am »

Hi,

the pearlwhite car belongs to Olaf Ennen from DFL. On the pic it´s still running on reproduction five spokes but it´s now rolling on genuine EMPI fives. For more pics have at look at:  http://www.dflvwclub.de/cars.php?id=7&fileid=0

Tobi
Felix/DFL

« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2011, 13:57:45 pm »

Hi,
the pearlwhite car belongs to Olaf Ennen from DFL. On the pic it´s still running on reproduction five spokes but it´s now rolling on genuine EMPI fives. For more pics have at look at:  http://www.dflvwclub.de/cars.php?id=7&fileid=0
Tobi

Here the direct link to the the specs:
http://www.dflvwclub.de/cars.php?lang=en&id=7
14,5 sec with 1776, stock gearbox, and non trailer car Grin That`s the idea of Cal look to me, loving that 65...

here in action 2006:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0OmYhK1BuGU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0OmYhK1BuGU</a>

@Ole: He he, land-speed(st)er action.
@Harry: Hmmh that`s crude. Never heared of those probs. Waht did you did then? Istalled an non ringed pump and everything was ok?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 13:59:42 pm by Felix/DFL » Logged
Harry/FDK

« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2011, 17:18:02 pm »

Hey Felix, i went non-ringed. I just "prep" the case with a LITTLE permatex on the inside of the pump bore in the case, slide in the pump, the Permatex rolls up a little, torque it up and wait for 24 hours. Never had any problems doing this on several engines. Works for me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 17:43:25 pm by Harry/FDK » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2011, 23:37:48 pm »

Did you loose the oil-control plunger at the pulley side ?

Done ? Not Yet.
pupjoint

« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 16:37:51 pm »

hi Felix, any updates on this build?   Smiley
Felix/DFL

« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2012, 21:36:16 pm »

Hey pupjoint,

yeah man soooooo long no posting. Things have been a bit busy in the past time and I had not that much time für the www...

That has happened:
First I had to fix the family 65 T1 ambulance to get some good money for it. The reason? Later...
It had a big dent in the front and some play in the front steering. That and some other small things ate up time.

It sold really quick for some nice money.

So back to the 67.
As I had the gearbox out I thought hey let`s do some other things that always anoyed me over the last now 10 years of past restauration.
So off with the shell  Grin There were some small things that didn`t affect the quality or look, but I knew that those things were there so I wanted to fix it. In betwen of the process I of course thoght what idiot are you thet you disassemble a good runner for penuts. But that`s the way things go...
So shell of the pan and everything look good. I fixed the peanut things and conserved everything. New rubber and down it goes. Man I wish all that happened in the time I am now writing this words...

Another point I always didn`t like was the white headliner with the white pillar coverings. That always stood out of the black/chrome/red thing. But in no good way in my view. So out with the orig. headliner and a complete black in. The installing wasn`t that comfortable as with the orig. but with some patience, heat and sometimes ugly words it now sits nice. Just have to do the sunvisiors. Some time...

Another route I went 10-11 years before was to make many parts in the interieur in silver to match the early instruments. That silver even didn`t match in my view. Soooo paint it balck ! (or powder) The instruments are converted to late blck one`s with a trip speedo. The pedals are now drilled for look and weight and pink noooo black powedered! The steering colum is black gloss painted and the monster tachometer was replaced with a more decent Autometer street-tach. The 52mm VDO instruments got reworked an moved under the glove box with a cyl. head instrument. I will ad a pic later on.
A Hurst line lock is now even installed but didn`t use it till yet. But DDD10 will come Wink

So since the 28th may it runs strong again. 30th we had our annual DFL may cruise madness in Hannover.
I even switched the F7 emulsion tubes at the IDA`s against F2 (without changing anything else) and it made a hugh difference to the good side. Read these suggestion some times here in the lounge and it was such a good advice!

The main reason for the pressed free time and the bus selling was definetly the bought of our own house. That old lady needed some love before we could settle over from our renting apartment. The house retoration is on a good way, but belive me it will never be "done" Wink
One of he best thing is the garage. A mian buying argument... Working at the cars at our own home was always a long time dream that now will become true.

Best greetings everyone!
volkskris

« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2012, 23:31:06 pm »

the interior changes sound good! Wink how's the engine and gearbox holding up? Smiley
Wunder Wim

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2012, 09:02:26 am »

Hi Felix,
looks like you made some nice changes and good progress.
The house looks very nice, hope you have a spare room to accommodate some friends when they are in town.

Greetz
wim
pupjoint

« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2013, 16:29:28 pm »

bump again  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: