The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:58:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Mike Mahaffery's 51 Split
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Mike Mahaffery's 51 Split  (Read 36912 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: April 06, 2007, 23:56:58 pm »

As the title says i am looking for some more info and pic's of Mike Mahaffery's superb 1951 Split - Anyone know the colour Huh Any interior shots  Huh Engine info and pic's  Huh

Anything would be helpfull - thanks guys  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 00:10:51 am by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 09:16:45 am »

hy monkiboy here's the picture i've from the car some are when mike mahaffey was the owner other when ed craig own the car and the last one with the eight spoke was when tony the cruift own the car Wink many change on this car buggy bars , wheels etcc..... watch  Shocked

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:18:32 am »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 09:19:46 am »

Grin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 09:28:33 am by speedwell » Logged

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 09:24:12 am »

those was took at disneyworld i can remember where i found those but it's the same car watch the license plate  Shocked

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 10:07:12 am »

here's the motor it was an 1800cc with 48 idas mounted on race trim manifolds on the dashboard we found vdo gauges

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 10:17:12 am »

here's the name of the color monkiboy: CONDA GREEN  don't know if it's correct but it's written on the first vw trends  hope you're happy with the pictures
thta car was in several vw club in the 70's : in the der rennmeister association and when tony own the car he was in the der california kafer klub

Lee.C

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 11:11:54 am »

here's the motor it was an 1800cc with 48 idas mounted on race trim manifolds on the dashboard we found vdo gauges

Wow thanks guys but I always thought mike had a 2180cc monster out the back  Huh Smiley

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 11:20:26 am »

Its looks so cool here Tongue
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 11:23:02 am by gold65turbo » Logged

Hahaha your killing me.........
Lee.C

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 11:41:28 am »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy, Grin Grin Grin, Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 12:45:53 pm »

Martin, have you tried www.restowagen.co.uk  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 17:42:01 pm »

Got have those Dingle Balls around the Windows all you now is another up in Smoke Movie LOL who owned it in that picture?

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 20:00:30 pm »

I bet its owned by that girl only a girl would do that to a nice car.
Also looks like she looking for her bottle of cider.
May be she was pissed when she put the white walls on.

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 20:05:13 pm »

No way  Grin

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2007, 00:00:18 am »

Got have those Dingle Balls around the Windows all you now is another up in Smoke Movie LOL who owned it in that picture?
Judging from the Wide front Wheel base I would say its on a Ball Joint Pan I LL Bet If Ed Craig Saw That Picture He would Die It is a Shame To See such A car that Had alot of History End Up Looking like a Rat Rod I think It Looks Terrible I still Remember Ed Having the Car Park Out Back At Auto Haus on Beach Blvd.in Buenn Park I saw Ed not long ago at a VW car show his Daughter has a real Clean 66 Sunroof I am going to have to Save this Picture for Him  anyone know where the Car is Now??

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 00:37:32 am »

Here it is with another license number.. Suppose that's because it is on black plates here, and the number was changed when it got the new blue plates? Pictures are from "the bible".
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 00:55:50 am by Rocket-Racing » Logged

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 01:40:34 am »

Judging from the Wide front Wheel base I would say its on a Ball Joint Pan I LL Bet If Ed Craig Saw That Picture He would Die It is a Shame To See such A car that Had alot of History End Up Looking like a Rat Rod I think It Looks Terrible I still Remember Ed Having the Car Park Out Back At Auto Haus on Beach Blvd.in Buenn Park I saw Ed not long ago at a VW car show his Daughter has a real Clean 66 Sunroof I am going to have to Save this Picture for Him  anyone know where the Car is Now??
Ed Craig is the one who "decorated" the car to look like that !
It was for a VW day at Disney Land and decorating your car was part of the festivities.
It had something to do with the release of one of the Herbie movies.
It was all temporary and removed afterwards.
I was able to have a nice talk with both Ed Craig and Mike Mahaffey together about the car at Bug-In 32
The Ideaman

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 04:04:42 am »

And what did car guys outside of the VW scene think about Mike's split?

That was a fun era, height of the muscle car scene. The cruise scene was on Harbor Blvd. going between Big Carl’s and Taco Villa - straight out of American Graffiti. We were the anti-muscle car crowd that was basically laughed at. Before I built my car a fast street VW ran in the high 15’s or 16’s, hardly a threat to the muscle cars. The really fast VW’s were strip only – the Inch Pincher, Schley Bros, Vittone, etc. But no one that I knew of was using that technology in a daily driver street car. So I decided to go for it. Ron Fleming and I built the motor at Gene Berg’s shop when he first moved to Orange from Washington. I had it dyno’d by Dean Lowry. After a full pulls he just looked at us and said we were crazy, “you can’t drive this on the street. It has more hp than my Inch Pincher did a year ago.”  We just smiled, said “we’ll see”. Actually it worked far better than we had even hoped. It was a torque monster that pulled right off of idle. I’m sure the Vertex magneto helped a lot. Ron did a great job on the heads. Suddenly, I had a legitimate low 13-second street car, with fan belt, muffler, and Pirelli’s. American cars needed to have slicks and uncorked headers to run faster than that. Anyway, back to the muscle car street scene. They’d never seen a fast VW on the street before. I’ll share three of my favorite memories. I was cruising through the car hop section in the back of Big Carl’s and a guy in a Chevelle stuck his head out and started laughing at my car. I stopped backed up, bounced the front end a little and did a major burn out lifting the front wheels a few inches. I went back around, stopped in front of his car, yelled out “want to race that piece of s#*t.?” The look on his face was priceless as he slumped in his seat and everyone around was laughing. Another time I was alone driving at night on Harbor Blvd. in La Habra. I pulled up next to a 1968 Mustang fastback. He was obviously very proud of his car as he still had the white shoe polish bracket time of 11.85 on his windshield, presumably from Wed. night bracket racing at OCIR the night before. So I revved him off. He and his buddy just looked at me and started laughing. Obviously he didn’t take me seriously. He just pulled away rather quickly and I stayed a half a car back then punched it and lurched ahead of him. I’ll never forget the looks on their faces as they snapped their heads toward me in disbelief. So we pulled up to the next intersection (fortunately traffic was very light, no one else around). Now he knew I was serious. Watching the side yellow light anticipating the green light, we both took off burning. I shut it down when my speedo said 100-mph and I had him by about 2 open cars. He turned left, I turned right, splitting up in case a cop saw us. I would have liked to have heard their conversation after that. Shortly thereafter I was without my car at Taco Villa and we approached a crowd engaged in some animated story telling. Standing back and listening I heard them talking about an 11-second street VW. Man, I was wondering where the heck is that car. I didn’t know of any that fast. Then one of the guys from the crowd that knew me and had set up some races for me that he made some good money on whispered to me “they’re talking about your car.” I couldn’t get any more races from that crowd after that.

Mike Mahaffey

From the CLF

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 11:49:46 am »

I think at one point Mahaffey's car did have a 2074cc in it built by him, Ron Fleming and Gene Berg. I think Ron did the heads. I know Mike mentioned on CLF it ran 48IDAs, Vertex mag and they had DDS dyno it and Dean was scratching his head saying something about "you guys are nuts running THIS on the street..."

There is a short mention in the 1970 Hot Rod article about the car too, running IDAs and a cam similar to I/Gas cars of the day.

One of the all time coolest hot rod VW's ever. AWESOME pictures!!!

that's what i read in the bible a few weeks ago as well.
apparently it put out more horses than the DDS gasser or something...  Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 15:52:59 pm »

Here it is with another license number.. Suppose that's because it is on black plates here, and the number was changed when it got the new blue plates? Pictures are from "the bible".

Did you notice its Running A Glasspack Muffler???  thats an Old Picture
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 21:53:39 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Rocket-Racing

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 22:19:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure I have seen a later picture of this car in another color. Same license number. Trouble is I can't remember where.. Need some help from mr Speedwell here..

Rocket-Racing

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 20:18:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure I have seen a later picture of this car in another color. Same license number. Trouble is I can't remember where.. Need some help from mr Speedwell here..

Found it! But I most correct myself, this is obviously an earlier version of the same car, not later.
Picture found somewhere on the net, probably taken from someone on here. Let me know and credit will be given...

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 04:31:00 am »

Found it! But I most correct myself, this is obviously an earlier version of the same car, not later.
Picture found somewhere on the net, probably taken from someone on here. Let me know and credit will be given...
Picture has to be an earlier one its got Chrome strips overrider holes and exhaust cutouts and Black Plates when ED had it it was Conda Green with the Blue Plates even the Picture taken Behind Auto Haus in Buena Park back in the mid 70's the car has the Blue Plates

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 21:09:41 pm »

Looks like the staging lanes at OCIR

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
mgmahaffey

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 03:00:24 am »

When I had it the license plate was UOT 994. I never had blue plates. The picture of it brown was taken at a Bug In at OCIR. It was only brown for a short while. I had Becker's paint it 1970 Porsche Conda Green. That's when I had the chrome removed. I left the bumper slots incase I got a ticket for not running bumpers, but I never used nerf bars or anything else - no chrome anywhere. The one interior black and white shot looking down toward the dash is after I had it. The other shots are what I had done. The seats had a black rectangular insert pattern. If I could figure out how to insert pictures here I would post some.
Mike Mahaffey
48ida

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 08:15:47 am »

Welcome to the Lounge Mike.  Cool Make sure you stick around ok?

I DRIVE MY VOLKSWAGEN WAY TO FAST TO WORRY ABOUT MY CHOLESTEROL LEVEL
Olaf A./DFL

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 08:37:55 am »

hi mike -here's the »how to add pictures« thread: http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php?topic=487.0

please show us plenty of them Smiley

Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 08:50:15 am »

Welcome to the Lounge Mike!!!

The Place for Real Ral-Lookers!!! Wink Grin Grin

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 14:56:23 pm »

welcome to the lounge mike   enjoy this place  Wink
cool story about your car , then after you  ,that was  ed craig who owned the car  Huh and put t bars  dashboard gauges etc...
regards
fabian

mgmahaffey

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 17:18:16 pm »

Hopefully my pictures appear. These pictures are not high quality. I wasn't into photography then. Most of the pictures you see were taken by other people. Jeff Aronson, Greg's brother, took the ones in Cal Look book.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: