The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:02:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  SHUBEE PASSES
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: SHUBEE PASSES  (Read 41773 times)
Kaferdog
DKK

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 22:49:09 pm »

I'm very sad to hear this ..! My condolences to the Family.....RIP Shubee

"I am on a drug, it's called 'Volkswagen.' It's not available 'cause if you try it once you will die. Your face will melt off, and children will weep over your exploded body."
ST DRAGN

More Port. More Gas..Kicks Ass...

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 23:16:03 pm »

Very shocking and sad news...

RIP Gary

Der Kleiner Panzers
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 23:22:41 pm »

Sad news. Sympathy to his family and friends.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011, 00:00:40 am »

Wow, what a shocking and surprising topic to find.
I have had many good conversations with Shubee, and I am sad to hear these news.
My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

RIP

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

T.Fabs

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011, 00:02:51 am »

Very sad news!!
Rest in peace Shubee!!!
We will take good care of your 67 CONV...
Our condolences to his family...

Proud Member of the Der Kleiner Panzers.
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011, 00:06:07 am »

Really sad news. Rest in peace Shubee!
roland

lates are the new splits...

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011, 00:12:18 am »

Not much more to say, sad news indeed.

Glitter don't make you faster.
Ben67

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011, 00:12:48 am »

condolences

Der Kleiner Panzers        http://pursang356.blogspot.com/

"champagne taste...beer money"
Hecker

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2011, 00:16:22 am »

Well, this is just a quick, get the facts straight post !!! Gary was in So Cal last weekend,
He had driven in to pick up a 66 sedan thats been parked for many many years. The plan
was to tow it home to Texas and restore it to his liking for a gift for his grandson. His
grandson is only 3, so Gary would have 13 years to do it to perfection. However, he took
ill suddenly & was in the hospital. He took a turn for the worse and had liver & kidney
failure. Fortunately, his wife Becky was able to fly in & be by his side before he passed.
Most of you know him as SHUBEE, but I knew him as Gary Shubrook. I will always consider
him my homeboy, we spent lots of time together from 1971 to 1988 when we went
different ways. Through the lounge we were able to re-connect, & he was the driving
force to getting my car running again. He is a legendary VW man & will be missed !!
R.I.P. SHUBEE  -- DO ALL VW's IN HEAVEN HAVE 48 IDA'S ??   Sad      Ron
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:08:12 am by HECKER » Logged

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2011, 00:19:56 am »

My sincerest condolences.
Race in Peace Gary !
 Cry
IP359

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2011, 00:34:51 am »

Very shocked to hear that  Shocked
One more sad news at this time for the cal-look family
RIP Shubee
Cry
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:31:59 am by IP359 » Logged

Joe_G

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2011, 00:56:07 am »

Sad news Sad
Doesn't seem like nearly four years ago we stood outside BBT before Camberg chatting away about all things VW!
RIP
nlvtinman

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2011, 02:04:14 am »

Joe G,
Are you sure you are thinking about the right guy?  I know that Gary had never been to Europe.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2011, 02:27:03 am »

God Speed SHUBEE and condolences to the family.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Hecker

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2011, 03:34:12 am »

Founding Member @ Bug-in 35 [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
edcraig

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2011, 04:24:53 am »

Too much bad news lately.  RIP Gary.
Dustin

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:53 am »

Very sad news. Shubee was very helpful sorting out a stubborn issue with my 42 dcnf's a few years back, even calling later to see if they were performing better. We shared the same enthusiasm for VW's and 2nd gen Nova's. His LOL's, LMAO's and ROTF's will be missed.

Der Kleiner Panzers III
www.dkpcarclub.com

'69 Tangerine Orange Karmann Ghia- In progress
'66 Marina blue Chevy II Nova Hardtop- Project mothballed
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2011, 04:47:26 am »

rip Gary
Bryan67

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011, 05:03:00 am »

WTH is going on here? It seems like I`m reading a couple of these posts every week lately. This news totally comes out of nowhere. Even though we had never met. we had exchanged PM`s here a few times. We seemed to have some common interests on here. Really sorry to hear this.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Hecker

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2011, 05:18:05 am »

Very sad news. Shubee was very helpful sorting out a stubborn issue with my 42 dcnf's a few years back, even calling later to see if they were performing better. We shared the same enthusiasm for VW's and 2nd gen Nova's. His LOL's, LMAO's and ROTF's will be missed.
Texas Tom & I were talking on the phone today about the very same thing. Let's see them all again!
LOL   LMAO ROTF and my favorite ROTFLMAO      Tongue             Ron
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2011, 05:26:47 am »

Ron you speak the truth. Gary was definately Legendary!  He will be missed.  Gary had his opinions and moments but I am surely sad to see him go. When I would notice that he had posted I would almost always go to see what he had written first. He was helpful controversial and at most entertaining.  He had a good eye for what works.  He's swimming in BRM,s right now.  

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2011, 05:30:02 am »

Very sad news. We have lost an iconic member of the California Look community. He was one of the original collectors of EMPI parts long before many people saw value in them. I pray for comfort for his family. RIP Gary

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
deano

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2011, 05:54:16 am »

I never got to really know Gary that well. I talked to him at the Fort Worth Texas show last year, and out here a few times. What bothers me is that Gary is one of us. Our age, our passion, our same VW DNA. It's not suppose to turn out that way when you drive a fast VW. I think about his collection of VW parts and cool cars, his work shop, his dreams of how he planned to spend the next years of his life with his family. I do know, he is now in a better place.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
low oval
DKK

« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2011, 06:04:26 am »

Very sad news, didn't know him personnaly, but was telling Ron (hecker) how my photo of his vert shows up now and then at bugs for breakfast, and how I thought it was the best looking vert I had seen up to that point, and one of the top ones still.  forgot he was into 2nd gen nova's also. 
RIP Shubee.
jim

"and that's when the cops showed up"
ugly duckling

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2011, 06:07:31 am »

i only recently got to know Gary. he bought my dual muffs off me a few months back. very nice guy over the phone. after the sale he defiantly likes to send people EMAIL JOKES and many humorous things which i received HUNDREDS. the last one was last week. he defiantly made himself noticed in the vw community and i think he genuinely cared about the vw comunity as a whole. he will be missed. take it easy GARY . .UD.

dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2011, 06:08:27 am »

Gary...The Shuuuuu....  man, did he know numbers and a plethora of other things as well....   Ive noticed a lot of euro people on here/he did make an impression wherever he went thats for sure...FYI..>>for those of you that didnt really know Gary or his talents//Scott Bakken worked a deal out for me with ron barrett years back for some stored cal look cars and some parts to include some brm's. The best car I have ever bought/appreciated and later sold was in fact Gary's BEAUTIFUL blue oval window with built trans/a monster 48 equipped beast/vdo/plaid int/brm's,etc....which showed his talents at building and assembling with meticulous fashion and attention to detail, an awesome daily driver that drove like grandmothers car until you pressed the pedal...SHIT or HOLD ON...I had lots of fun driving that car and can say it was one of the very best vw's ever amongst my many. R.I.P. dude//Dyno Don           ps,texas tom..you were a good friend to gary...
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2011, 07:17:26 am »

Never met Gary personally, but have PM each other on different topics, his latest was that he was coming down for the 66' bug and had offered to buy my front end from my bug. This man will be missed by ALL of us here and abroad. My condolences and prayers to the family.

RIP Gary (Shubee) will miss you.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Gunter

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 08:22:08 am »

Fabs told me yesterday
SAD SAD news
had the pleasure meeting Gary a few times

RIP Gary my deepest condolences go out to this family and friends

Gunter Hofmans.
shubees_wife

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2011, 08:36:59 am »

This is Garys wife...  Yes shocked, tearful and missing him already. I was told about all the post and joined so I could see the
post from friends and associates. 
He had some chronic condition but not a terminal. He has lymphademia and Neuropathy but he didnt let that keep him down. He left two weeks ago to come to calif to pick up a VW bug from a nephew and it was to be Our grandsons first "Project" and his first Car when he tured 16 years old. Cadan presently is only 3 yrs old but shares his passion for Cars and especially VW Bugs with his  Peepaw (gary).
I do plan on continuing his dream and by the time Cadan is 16 he will recieve a gift of a Shubee Quality VW bug and it will be from his Peepaw.....that he loves so much.
We are all shocked, crying and very emotional.
His Illness that brought his life to a end was Sudden (3days) and Snowballed (bowel obstruction followed by Liver and kidney failure). Gary fought hard to stay on this earth with his family and friends
but it was his time to join the good lord above.  he
He will be always remembered.....always loved and always Missed by all.
Please if you have any pictures please sent them to me at rsshubrook@gmail.com  we are preparing a slide show for his memorial service which the dates will be announced.   
Thank you again,

Becky Shubrook
butterskotch

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2011, 14:24:05 pm »

I never met Gary, but we did speak via email and PM on a few occasions.

He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable on cal look, he even got me a custom set of centre caps for my torquers made to resemble the originals.

He will be missed by all who knew him and even those who never had chance too.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends.

Brad
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: