The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 21:35:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Important Cal look Notice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Important Cal look Notice  (Read 40675 times)
tomi g

« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2011, 21:50:40 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
just wanted to post the magazine articles I found at home on this legendary green machine: vwTrends from 1992 and latest issue of the hungarian vw Depo
Ivan

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2011, 22:04:02 pm »

Location shouldn't change anything! The car was and always will be a major part of Dave's life. I know from from experience what the car means to him. It is, and always will be Dave Rhoads' '64! He has decided it is time for it to be under new custody and to be with a number of other historically important cars. We will continue to celebrate the car as one of the most inspirational Cal Look cars of all time.
Russell's passion is without any doubt.
Would I want to own the car - yes, just like everyone else who is into Cal Look - but Russell has that honour and congratulations to him!
I always remember spending the day with Dave and the '64 at Terminal Island in 1992 and getting to know the man for the first time and I will treasure the fact my '67 was the only car to race against Dave at the 1996 Beetle Bash (Sadly he blew the tranny on the startline on the next pass) and I will never forget thinking " Shocked that was a lot faster than I was expecting it to be!' As all I saw was the back of Dave's '64 for the whole quarter!  Of course my little 2007 was no match - but as my '67 was the first car like it built in the UK/Europe, to be up against a 'real' Cal Look car was like that warm feeling you get in your stomach on Christmas morning when you're 12 years old.
Now, well, I'm up for the rematch!

P.S. Lee don't worry - Russell WILL look after it!

flatfire

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2011, 22:06:08 pm »

This is what seperates us from ''real'' classic car circles. A man cannot sell a car to another without causing such controversy.
What business is it off anyones but to celebrate the existence of such a great Bug where ever it sits on Mother Earth Smiley

You use the term ''Lock Up'' very loosely  Grin

lawrence

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2011, 22:08:05 pm »

Some say that if we all had the same opinions the world would be a boring place. This is somewhat true, but thread turns like this make VW internet socialization very unappealing.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Fritter

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2011, 07:52:24 am »

It's moved on to a good place I think.

I saw a recent interview with Bruce Meyer on a "History of the Hot Rod" show where he was talking about the historic hot rods he has restored and owns, and he said they are not Bruce Meyer cars, they are the Pierson Bros coupe, the Socal belly tank, etc. 

The situation is the same with this green "64.  It's always "Dave Rhoads' '64".  It's just moved on to a different caretaker now.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2011, 10:29:35 am »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I knew I would get some panties in a twist hehhehehehehe  Wink

its not like I am "Pissed off" about the sale I guess I am just a little disapointed  Cry

You either "Get It" or you don't......
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2011, 11:26:42 am »

Any chance Russel could pop over to Japan and grab some of the cars tucked away over there... Its a really shame for some of them to be hidden from our eyes !!
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2011, 12:50:08 pm »

Cars are moving objects and their location is seldom important.
But the Cal-look cars of California is perhaps different, at least seen from the outside.

If you were to compare them with buildings it's a bit more clear, if you had enough money and bought the leaning tower of Pisa and placed it Borås in Sweden, would the magic be the same?
Would it draw as many people to Borås as it did to Pisa??

My point is simple, location is part of the magic. Also with cars.
I love to see the cars in Europe, but I would love it even more to see them in California...

Perhaps this is what Lee is feeling... and maybe not... I don't know, anyway, congratulations Russel!!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2011, 13:18:10 pm »

Any chance Russel could pop over to Japan and grab some of the cars tucked away over there... Its a really shame for some of them to be hidden from our eyes !!

Now there's a good idea! Looked after AND seen at events?! Thats surely every old VW's dream come true...

Lee.C

« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2011, 13:38:36 pm »

Cars are moving objects and their location is seldom important.
But the Cal-look cars of California is perhaps different, at least seen from the outside.

If you were to compare them with buildings it's a bit more clear, if you had enough money and bought the leaning tower of Pisa and placed it Borås in Sweden, would the magic be the same?
Would it draw as many people to Borås as it did to Pisa??

My point is simple, location is part of the magic. Also with cars.
I love to see the cars in Europe, but I would love it even more to see them in California...

Perhaps this is what Lee is feeling... and maybe not... I don't know, anyway, congratulations Russel!!

Amen  Wink

BUT before we get any more "issues" I think people have really taken my posts "out of context"

I have NO repeat NO issues with either Russell or Dave for this sale I am just DISAPOINTED thats all  Sad

To hear that my all time favourite VW/Cal looker had been sold was a horrible feeling - Having spent some very cool time with Dave on our road trip to SCC back in 2008 Talking about how him and his dad had built the dash and the Late night street racing in the 70's (& hiding from the Cops!) I just could not believe he'd actually sold it!!!! Cry Cry Cry

So I wish Russell all the best with his new purchase and I look forward to seeing it at EBI4 (maybe even with Mr Rhoads driving Wink)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 14:40:16 pm by monkiboy » Logged

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2011, 15:06:02 pm »

So I wish Russell all the best with his new purchase and I look forward to seeing it at SCC 2011 (maybe even with Mr Rhoads driving Wink)

Lee, as y`r almost Norwegian now you have certain obligations, so I corrected that last sentence for You Wink  Cheesy

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Lee.C

« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2011, 15:23:15 pm »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Dam Right Dude - Maybe Dave/Russ will let me have a little drive  Huh Wink

Seriously though - Good luck Russ  Smiley

Rocket-Racing

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2011, 16:18:42 pm »

BUT before we get any more "issues" I think people have really taken my posts "out of context"

I have NO repeat NO issues with either Russell or Dave for this sale I am just DISAPOINTED thats all  Sad

Well said there Monki, exactly what i tried to say in my first post.
It's one of my favourite lookers too, but then I allready knew we had the same taste  Grin LOL

And no, I wouldn't go to Borås to look at a leaning tower. Come to think of it I haven't been to Pisa either..  Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 16:28:06 pm by Rocket-Racing » Logged

SHINE CAN NEVER REPLACE ATTITUDE
Lee.C

« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2011, 17:17:13 pm »

Well said there Monki, exactly what i tried to say in my first post.
It's one of my favourite lookers too, but then I allready knew we had the same taste  Grin LOL

And no, I wouldn't go to Borås to look at a leaning tower. Come to think of it I haven't been to Pisa either..  Cheesy

Wink Smiley Its funny just how quickly some panties get in a twist  Cheesy

Once again Good luck Russ  Smiley

(This should put the cat back with the pigeon's - I would have prefered it if Dave had NEVER restored the 64 in the first place Shocked but thats just me hehehehehehehehe Wink)

Russell

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2011, 23:38:57 pm »

Guys thanks for the support and the opinions........ I gave Monkiboy a call today to confirm a few facts.  Grin However like him I was disappointed that Dave wanted to sell it but delighted to be offered it.

Dave Rhoads is one of the guys that make this scene what it is today, and whatever he does with his stuff is his choice as is for anyone else........

Best Regards

Russell
Lee.C

« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2011, 09:40:08 am »

Guys thanks for the support and the opinions........ I gave Monkiboy a call today to confirm a few facts.  Grin However like him I was disappointed that Dave wanted to sell it but delighted to be offered it.

Dave Rhoads is one of the guys that make this scene what it is today, and whatever he does with his stuff is his choice as is for anyone else........

Wink Smiley

Amen to that - Dave is deffinetly one of my Hero's  Grin

Larry S

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2011, 14:41:53 pm »

Well.....I am proud to tell people that my old car is know owned by Russell and being well taken care of in Scotland. When I was driving it on the streets of Missouri, Oklahoma, and Kansas I got the same thumbs up I did in Whittier, LaHabra and down Beach Blvd on the way to Huntington beach. Location is just that, a Location, I have lived all over the US since leaving So Cal but you couldn't tell from my garage and game room in my basement, they are full of VW/Cali stuff. My car now resides next to my Dad and brothers cars, Sum Fun and Radical Rod. I think it is so cool they are all back together in the same garage. I owned the car for 28 years and will always have fond memories of spanking the muscle cars around So Cal but life goes on, I am just glad someone else is creating more memories with it and appreciates it as much as I did.
P.S. remember Russell load the trans and bring it up to around 7400-7600 and let her rip...Life begins at 7000 rpm.......

Larry Schultz

Plan your work, work your plan, with precision and excellence.
ceejay

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2011, 22:51:38 pm »

(it might have been better if it wasn,t gonna get stuck in a lock up in scotland - the worlds WETTEST place!!!!)

Aberdeen - North EAST Scotland = one of, if not the, dryest part of the UK.......

Deeply, deeply, deeply jealous of Mr Ritchie over this and all his purchases of historical cars (and obviously the financial clout to do so! Tongue) but at least it's going to as good a home as possible. I can totally understand the Californians being disappointed at its emigration but nice to know it's now just up the road from me! Grin
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2011, 00:03:02 am »

Having grown up in Riverside in the 70s - Its bittersweet - hate to see the cars go, but I'm glad for our European brothers, they now get a chance to experience the CalLook lifestyle.

....and Damn, you Cats do embrace the lifestyle Cool

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2011, 00:55:58 am »

(it might have been better if it wasn,t gonna get stuck in a lock up in scotland - the worlds WETTEST place!!!!)

Aberdeen - North EAST Scotland = one of, if not the, dryest part of the UK.......

Deeply, deeply, deeply jealous of Mr Ritchie over this and all his purchases of historical cars (and obviously the financial clout to do so! Tongue) but at least it's going to as good a home as possible. I can totally understand the Californians being disappointed at its emigration but nice to know it's now just up the road from me! Grin

Welcome to thje lounge ceejay , enjoy

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
JS

« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2011, 01:41:43 am »

One one hand it´s a bummer to see one of the few original cal-look legends part with his car.

On the other, if I was to be selling my car at some point, I would gladly give a discount to a buyer from a different country. As opposed to see it ruined at a local cruise night the year after...

Signature.
ceejay

« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2011, 23:12:48 pm »

Welcome to thje lounge ceejay , enjoy

Thankyou very much Black Sheep, I signed up a while back, I just haven't had anything worthwhile to post yet  Grin (and still haven't! Embarrassed) but have enjoyed the forum for a while.
1957lowlight

Philip Steenackers

« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2011, 06:48:57 am »

Very nice!  I can't wait to see this car in real!  To me this is a pure example of the traditional callook cars, pure seventies.

Hope to see it at EBI4 this year.

Philip Steenackers
Flatline-Lowriders
Belgium
Russell

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2011, 23:54:15 pm »

It arrived today, yee ha..... out the container and down for a MOT......and a pass first time registered tomorrow and then hitting the streets of So Cold Aberdeen.

Best Regards

Russell
deano

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2011, 00:47:58 am »

I think I see those BRMs shivering....

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
cal-look 56

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2011, 00:51:15 am »

Congrats Russell,  I hated to see it go but happy it is STILL in good hands and with great company.
GASBNR

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2011, 00:54:00 am »

COOL in more ways than one Grin

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
Bugsy

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2011, 19:24:00 pm »

Wow!! Congrats Russel!

I would love to see it in real but unfortunally i wont be able to make it to any of the European events. And you will probably not be on any of the Swedish events this year, do you?  Grin

Regards Patrik
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2011, 20:48:39 pm »

Lovely car, enjoy it and drive hard Smiley

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
bugnut68

« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2011, 01:40:09 am »

Love that car!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: