The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:03:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Dual Quiet packs - PICTURES :)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Dual Quiet packs - PICTURES :)  (Read 72265 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2011, 15:22:46 pm »

glenn any chance to have a closer pictures of the silent bloc on the mufflers , because i've  those one in mine but they're in the middle and i don't see anything were i can attach them
thx
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
eh

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2011, 17:08:38 pm »

1 1/2  CB merged header with Thunderbird dual quiet pack.

Udo

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2011, 12:06:08 pm »

This is a nice one :-)
I have made the first 20 years ago for race cars that needed a muffler. Now we use them on all race cars up to 315 hp and some on the street. Mufflers are from 50mm - 3" .
My last one is a step muffler ,from 60-65-70 mm . I will see how it works

Udo

Neil Davies

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 13:00:35 pm »

If I remember right they did not have the dual quiet pack mufflers for the Ghias at the time I made my own as the angle at the rear would be straight across in line with the bumper to look correct. I was working on my motor tonight for the Ghia which I will be starting on this project next year about this time. Right now I am concentrating on the NSU project. The engine for the Ghia is a 1755 CC 69 x 90 NPR. I just finish rebuilding my 48 IDA'S this week and ready to bolt them on the motor. I will probably be posting pictures of it in a few weeks.

Frenchy
I used Beetle QPs on the merged header on my Ghia so that the tips were level with the bumpers. I was less worried about the angle of the boxes than about how far out the tips and centre stuck out! All Bugpack IIRC.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2011, 20:52:27 pm »

Gene Berg duals from 1980 on my oval.. Miss driving that car. Sorry for the crap cell phone pictures
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 20:56:02 pm by Rune » Logged
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2011, 21:25:41 pm »

Man all these Dual Quiet Pack pics make we want top put a set on my '67.

Hey Fabs... can you ship mine back??  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2011, 22:30:06 pm »

Rick.... there will be consequences  Tongue
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2011, 23:00:14 pm »

Looks like the handbrake works OK Rune Wink Grin
I miss seeing you in that car too

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2011, 17:34:17 pm »

what's your price  Grin Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2011, 18:42:00 pm »

Well they're used now!  Grin Grin Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2011, 19:09:28 pm »

Well they're used now!  Grin Grin Grin
Grin Grin

DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2011, 06:26:48 am »

I hear AJ Sims is making an exact copy of Bergs. To the "T". Thats what I hear. If this is true, Rick, this maybe the set you want.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Jeff68

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2011, 13:07:44 pm »

I hope that AJ's making these!
bugnut68

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2011, 16:44:28 pm »

After reading some of the recent feedback on LowBugget, I don't think I'll be shopping there anytime soon.  As for my own recent experiences, I shot him an email asking about a single Kadron part, and didn't get a reply for like two weeks.
HEIM BERG

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2011, 08:25:44 am »

Hereīs my 67 with a JSC (Johnnys Speed and Chrome?) Dual Quiet pack that I bought at EBI4.
I donīt like how it fits, but I donīt want to modify the Berg header or the mufflers so I will try with some other headers. It sounds nice with the 1848 engine.

Corally

Drive it like it's stolen!

« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2011, 21:36:24 pm »

Hey guys, I have a thunderbird dual quiet pack laying around. But it's different then all others on here. The mufflers are bolted to the centre Y piece. So it's in three pieces. It says thunderbird on the mufflers. Does anyone know something about this system? How old would it be?

Kind regards,

Gideon
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2011, 00:18:02 am »

Thunderbird set up for sale:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1172154

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
bugnut68

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2011, 01:01:57 am »

Hey guys, I have a thunderbird dual quiet pack laying around. But it's different then all others on here. The mufflers are bolted to the centre Y piece. So it's in three pieces. It says thunderbird on the mufflers. Does anyone know something about this system? How old would it be?

Sounds like an early to mid '80s T-bird dual QP set up for a large three-bolt flange heater box header.  If I remember correctly, those large three-bolt flange headers had 1.5 inch tubing.
Dokke/DFL

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2011, 07:47:43 am »

Mine ... ( to bad car already sold )

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
fredy66

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2011, 14:00:27 pm »

this one ?

arabia slugs
Corally

Drive it like it's stolen!

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2011, 23:07:35 pm »

@ Bugnut68. Yes it has a large flange three bolt connection. I figured it would be old but not that old!
@fredy66 That looks like the one i have. Mine was installed on a non merged header. But the angle of the Y piece looks to be the same.  Funny thing is that the flange had 1 bolt on the underside and 2 at the top. When i bought a A1 muffler i had to cut off the flange and rotate it 180 degrees to fit the header.

Kind regards,

Gideon
bugnut68

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2011, 23:59:43 pm »

@ Bugnut68. Yes it has a large flange three bolt connection. I figured it would be old but not that old!
@fredy66 That looks like the one i have. Mine was installed on a non merged header. But the angle of the Y piece looks to be the same.  Funny thing is that the flange had 1 bolt on the underside and 2 at the top. When i bought a A1 muffler i had to cut off the flange and rotate it 180 degrees to fit the header.

I can't help but wonder what they were thinking when they made those systems back in the day... I can't imagine it would cost that much less to make it a three piece muffler kit rather than weld it all together! Grin
youngnstudly

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2011, 06:44:58 am »

this one ?

As I posted earlier, I have this setup but without the merged header. If you ask me, the dumb part isn't that they make the mufflers bolt to the "Y" seperately, it's that they made this setup from 1.5" tubing but the collector is like 2.5" diameter (tunability goes out the window!)!!! Shocked What the hell where they thinking by adding the large collector to an otherwise decent setup? I fabbed up my own merged collector to replace the large flange portion, but I need to weld it together and finish the inner cone part. I was even able to make the merged colllector 7" long (which hopefully will help the bottom end of my single port). Thunderbird systems are cool though!  I'm thinking of adding stainless flared tips but I'm not sure how to go about it quite yet....I'm concentrating on finishing the stainless 1-1/2" heater boxes I built and the merged collector before I start on the exhaust tips. I did also think of getting rid of the "Y" part between the mufflers, and welding the mufflers at the correct angle like Berg mufflers are.

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
fredy66

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2011, 12:51:05 pm »

I'm thinking of modifying the muffler to but i see when the new engine is inn the car.
this muffler was not meant for merged header we See what i can do.

arabia slugs
fredy66

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2011, 03:30:01 am »

any photos of the Bugpack one ?

arabia slugs
gizago

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2011, 19:22:04 pm »

any photos of the Bugpack one ?

Not a great photo, but shows the fit and shape-

Lone Wolf

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2011, 20:26:29 pm »

This is a nice one :-)
I have made the first 20 years ago for race cars that needed a muffler. Now we use them on all race cars up to 315 hp and some on the street. Mufflers are from 50mm - 3" .
My last one is a step muffler ,from 60-65-70 mm . I will see how it works

Udo
Udo have you a photo of this system fitted to a car ? Are they available to buy ?
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2011, 06:58:45 am »

After reading some of the recent feedback on LowBugget, I don't think I'll be shopping there anytime soon.  As for my own recent experiences, I shot him an email asking about a single Kadron part, and didn't get a reply for like two weeks.

Not to be a dick but did you try calling him?  When I worked for AJ couple years ago he had a few duel quiet packs made not sure if he's got more right now or those ame ones?  Just bugs me when people bash him he is a good guy in my book and he's on the phone hekping customers all day long.

OK soapbox dismounted.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
bugnut68

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2011, 22:43:34 pm »

After reading some of the recent feedback on LowBugget, I don't think I'll be shopping there anytime soon.  As for my own recent experiences, I shot him an email asking about a single Kadron part, and didn't get a reply for like two weeks.

Not to be a dick but did you try calling him?  When I worked for AJ couple years ago he had a few duel quiet packs made not sure if he's got more right now or those ame ones?  Just bugs me when people bash him he is a good guy in my book and he's on the phone hekping customers all day long.

OK soapbox dismounted.

My issue really wasn't as influential on my decision so much as the HUGE pile of unhappy customers in his feedback thread over on the Samba.  Now, I know that everyone has a bad day here and again, or get buried with business and don't always have the utmost in communication... but I recommend taking a hard look at Chuey's experience in that feedback thread.  There's never any call for physical assault in resolving issues related to questionable customer service.  

EDIT: It wasn't Yamaducci that got shoved to the ground as he left the shop, but Chuey.  I corrected this in my post.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 22:59:32 pm by bugnut68 » Logged
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2011, 05:37:28 am »

I don't know yamaducci or Chuey and haven't been on Samba forum but a few times ages ago I know that people bash AJ and jump on the band wagon bad mouthing him on many occasions. I don't know what incident you are speaking of, it may be valid and it may be heresay.  Nothing personal meant at you in my statements and I'm sure you realize that. There may be a bunch of bad stuff written true but there's also a boat load of good he's done. Anyhow I don't want to get in an AJ argument at all.  The quiet pack setups he had and may still have were pretty darn nice.  Let's not take this any further off topic.

Jason

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: