The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:15:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  How much money to run 10s in a street car?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33 Print
Author Topic: How much money to run 10s in a street car?  (Read 462637 times)
richie

« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2012, 12:36:37 pm »

Thanks Henk,

I have mailed him to find out offset etc

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2012, 18:03:31 pm »

I am also considering the fiberglass low back buckets and then add a headrest/support to cage

That is the scariest thing I see, a head rest integrated to the seat will always follow the seat/your body in an accident. A cage headrest will not... it will stay stationary while you move about.  I know seats aren't supposed to come loose... but safety is about IF.
Just a personal observation.

That is a good point Jon,and something I hadnt considered,I had planned a steel backbone to the fiber seat but not considered the "what if"  Shocked  

Highback it is then Smiley

Danny I will take a look,not so keen on the plastic seats as I worry they could tear where they are bolted through in an accident

cheers richie

I`m using this seat in Rabalder. Not very fancy or cool, but it has a steel frame, FIA approved, ok comfort, good support and cheap 1700,- NOK.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 18:05:06 pm by Berger » Logged

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
richie

« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2012, 19:09:21 pm »

I`m using this seat in Rabalder. Not very fancy or cool, but it has a steel frame, FIA approved, ok comfort, good support and cheap 1700,- NOK.

Will your car be ready for SCC so I can see how comfortable it will be?  Grin

What does it weigh?

cheers richie

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2012, 20:43:00 pm »

Will your car be ready for SCC so I can see how comfortable it will be?  Grin

What does it weigh?

cheers richie

No, I have given up on getting Rabalder done to SCC  Undecided Just not enough time and energy to do it...
But the seat is in my Ghia now, which is my "Plan B" for racing at SCC, so you will be able to test it Wink
Don`t know the weight, sorry.

Berger
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 21:05:12 pm by Berger » Logged

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
richie

« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2012, 21:16:21 pm »

I think I have given up trying to get my 10sec street car ready for SCC as well Cheesy  better try to get the cabrio done instead Smiley  will take a look at the seat then

cheers richie

old dub lover

« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2012, 22:49:40 pm »

I know earlier you said you would run a 2276cc motor is there a particular reason for not going bigger?

thanks
volkskris

« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2012, 23:12:07 pm »

I know earlier you said you would run a 2276cc motor is there a particular reason for not going bigger?

thanks
I think cost & strenght. with the shot of nos richie is planning, there is no need of a bigger engine I think
old dub lover

« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2012, 23:13:35 pm »

ok i just wondered if there was a reason for it

i didnt know if you could go bigger and use a smaller shot of gas?

thanks Smiley
richie

« Reply #218 on: July 19, 2012, 08:13:27 am »

thanks
I think cost & strenght. with the shot of nos richie is planning, there is no need of a bigger engine I think

Thats pretty much it,last time it was a 2332 with a vw rod journal crank,so I wanted to do something different so it will be 82 stroke with chevy journals,strength should be about the same,and a 2276 will give me enough power on the road Smiley and there should be less case clearancing needed,finally i got a good deal on the 82 stroke crank Cheesy

You could go bigger say to a 2387 but it wont gain much really and the wider motor needs longer pushrods,is more difficult to fit in the engine bay with the efi if the injectors7 fuel rail end up on the outside as they did before,lastly one of the objects of doing this is to show what others can do and I see lots more 2276's than 2387 etc Smiley

cheers richie

Wunder Wim

« Reply #219 on: July 19, 2012, 08:23:13 am »

I was just reading the Hot VW's All about perfomance engines #3.
They were building a nitro fed 2332cc. As I read it correctly, RLR sells of the shelve Nitro kits with all the necessary lines, nozzles, solenoids, bottle,... They come in kit that produce an additional 40, 60, 80 and even 100 hp.
Maybe these kits are a good starting point.
old dub lover

« Reply #220 on: July 19, 2012, 08:25:57 am »

thanks

Thats pretty much it,last time it was a 2332 with a vw rod journal crank,so I wanted to do something different so it will be 82 stroke with chevy journals,strength should be about the same,and a 2276 will give me enough power on the road Smiley and there should be less case clearancing needed,finally i got a good deal on the 82 stroke crank Cheesy

You could go bigger say to a 2387 but it wont gain much really and the wider motor needs longer pushrods,is more difficult to fit in the engine bay with the efi if the injectors7 fuel rail end up on the outside as they did before,lastly one of the objects of doing this is to show what others can do and I see lots more 2276's than 2387 etc Smiley

cheers richie

that makes sense Smiley
Fonz

Still struggling with speed humps!

« Reply #221 on: July 19, 2012, 10:35:56 am »

So I have been rummaging around through old shite in boxes,so far I have found the old header,the intake manifolds[heads are long gone] the cam[was swapped out when I went turbo] and I still have the nitrous set up,but want to do it with whats available now so proberly wont use it

Fonz can I have my gearbox and throttle bodies back?  Cheesy

Frank I need those axles and cvs as well?  Grin

Kev you dont need that crank/flywheel and rods for a while do you?

I do actually still know were alot of it is but that would defeat the object of this if I do it.

Mmmm a wet miserable rainy day isnt good for the bank account Shocked

cheers richie

Have only just seen this thread.

Even before I got down to this post I was going to saydo you want to borrow your old gearbox and Jenveys.  Cheesy

Hell.... why not just take the Ghia and see if you can run 10's!  Cheesy
Fonz

« Reply #222 on: July 19, 2012, 10:54:04 am »

Nice find on the car btw. What month was it built?
richie

« Reply #223 on: July 19, 2012, 11:56:43 am »

So I have been rummaging around through old shite in boxes,so far I have found the old header,the intake manifolds[heads are long gone] the cam[was swapped out when I went turbo] and I still have the nitrous set up,but want to do it with whats available now so proberly wont use it

Fonz can I have my gearbox and throttle bodies back?  Cheesy

Kev you dont need that crank/flywheel and rods for a while do you?

I do actually still know were alot of it is but that would defeat the object of this if I do it.

Mmmm a wet miserable rainy day isnt good for the bank account Shocked

cheers richie

Have only just seen this thread.

Even before I got down to this post I was going to saydo you want to borrow your old gearbox and Jenveys.  Cheesy

Hell.... why not just take the Ghia and see if you can run 10's!  Cheesy

Cause its to low Grin 

Can I just buy the box and throttle bodies off you for a pound each? then sell them back after I have finished with them Shocked Smiley

richie

« Reply #224 on: July 19, 2012, 11:58:05 am »

Nice find on the car btw. What month was it built?

I havent checked ,havent picked it up yet

cheers richie

Fonz

« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2012, 12:27:52 pm »

Cause its to low Grin  

Can I just buy the box and throttle bodies off you for a pound each? then sell them back after I have finished with them Shocked Smiley

That's just because I'm short.  Wink

Hey, you can even have the DTA if I get it all back with a wiring loom.  Smiley  Though isn't that defeating the point of the excersise?
Fonz

« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2012, 12:44:29 pm »

Face it though, the real reason you want the Jenveys back is because they look 10 times better now.  Wink Grin
richie

« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2012, 12:54:23 pm »

Face it though, the real reason you want the Jenveys back is because they look 10 times better now.  Wink Grin

I was hoping in the 10 years that passed since I last used them that they would have gained some patina by now?   Wink tart

Fonz

« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2012, 13:07:23 pm »

Paint is a wonderfull thing for preventing oxidation.  Wink

What's with all this patina talk anyway? Sounds like you hung out with Bobby too long!  Shocked
WhiteTrash

« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2012, 14:52:40 pm »

Cool idea Richie! Lots of cred to you if you go all the way to the goal with this tread Smiley

This is my estimate, based on the Norwegian marked:

A solid 1302 71/72, stripped as much as possible, 30000,-NOK / 4000EUR
Good Used bus trans 002/091 5000,- NOK / 666EUR
Engine
Big bore oxy boxer, FK89, used Superflow heads, high comp (>13:1), E85, IDA 48, 50 000,- NOK / 6666 EUR
Wheels 10 000,- NOK /1333EUR
Div stuff 15 000,- NOK/2000EUR

Sum estimate 110 000,- NOK / 14665EUR

Of course, with this setup, you get only one race, as there is no safety added, and you will get disqualified after the first run Wink
So maybe add safety for 10000,- NOK /1333EUR

Keep us updated Smiley

Berger

I’ve just started reading this thread from the start and have to say your estimate is not bad, maybe a bit more.

I’ve not kept an exact spreadsheet but know quite well what my car owes me.
I bought the ’67 in 2007 and have so far spend roughly £16k on it.
Okay, the car is not in the 10s and I’m hoping for 11s with my new motor, that is if the rain ever stops and I can actually go to the track to try it without getting hypothermia or webbed feet.

£16k in my case includes buying
-   a solid, running (almost stock) car
-   a chrome moly cage including final TIG welding and other safety gear, i.e. Kirkey seat, seat belt, race suit, boots, gloves etc to comply with MSA regs
-   wheels and slicks
-   Cogbox build 091 gearbox
-   IRS conversion including axles, swing arms and chassis brackets
-   Everything for my 2387cc N/A 48IDA motor including wedgemated Scat crank, rods, Wisecos, Comp Eliminators etc

Also included in the 16k is a full respray with blasting the shell & pan (then having to pay a bodyshop to get the destroyed doors reskinned) and other pretty things like new rubber seals everywhere and aluminium door panels, which could be argued are not really needed, but we all like an astatically pleasing car.

The car, race ready with me weighs about 1830lbs or 830kg, so I (or the car) could either lose some weight or the money for the respray and pretty things could be used to buy and set up a NOS system.

I’ve always sold things not needed to pay for parts and have bought some items used but only if I know they work. Also a lot came in the back of vans etc directly from the States when the exchange rate was nearly 2 dollars to one pound which helped.

Frank

HOFF#67

Lotus White '67's are the best!!!
WhiteTrash

« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2012, 14:55:19 pm »

cheers richie

Tough luck Grin

HOFF#67

richie

« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2012, 15:16:52 pm »

cheers richie

Tough luck Grin

Didnt i just loan them to you until I needed them next?  Cheesy   

Shiny paint is for girls nails Kiss

WhiteTrash

« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2012, 13:35:34 pm »

We have a donor Smiley  it is a little rough in places,needs a heater channel outer on one side at least and a couple of bumper mounts,I will proberly put a whole channel in as i am sure there more rust hidden underneath,the doors have suffered from sitting outside for so long unused but hopefully therer are to many hidden horrors as it hasnt had years of being "fixed' by welding plate over plate.
It is a 6v 1500 so should have some usefull pieces to sell off as well,and came with a new pair of disc drop spindles soem something else i dont need to buy

Nice Lotus white 67, finally you got a car in the right colour (again)....and when you had enough of it I'll have it off you Wink

HOFF#67

richie

« Reply #233 on: July 22, 2012, 17:20:01 pm »

We have a donor Smiley  it is a little rough in places,needs a heater channel outer on one side at least and a couple of bumper mounts,I will proberly put a whole channel in as i am sure there more rust hidden underneath,the doors have suffered from sitting outside for so long unused but hopefully therer are to many hidden horrors as it hasnt had years of being "fixed' by welding plate over plate.
It is a 6v 1500 so should have some usefull pieces to sell off as well,and came with a new pair of disc drop spindles soem something else i dont need to buy

Nice Lotus white 67, finally you got a car in the right colour (again)....and when you had enough of it I'll have it off you Wink

Well guess what,it will look even more like your 67

been busy doing other projects so not much happened this week,but did pick up some wheels thanks to people on here pointing me in the direction of them,so unless I can find 6 real gasburners for under 300pounds Shocked
 then I will be running these on the road and a pair of ercos for the slicks

Frank do they look familiar? Cheesy

cheers richie

Neil Davies

« Reply #234 on: July 23, 2012, 07:19:32 am »

Cool, you got them then! Wink They do look good detailed in black like a Cosmic, but I also like them as they are - should look good with the white paint on the car.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #235 on: July 23, 2012, 07:51:47 am »

something like this  Wink

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
richie

« Reply #236 on: July 23, 2012, 08:34:41 am »

Cool, you got them then! Wink They do look good detailed in black like a Cosmic, but I also like them as they are - should look good with the white paint on the car.

Thanks for the link Smiley

I dont see any detailing in my plans anytime soon,Frank has detailed his now and they look 10 times better though Smiley I was thinking straight black,more subtle

cheers richie

Neil Davies

« Reply #237 on: July 23, 2012, 08:43:39 am »

My spare pair are stright black, and they do look good. I'll get a pic at some point! Cheesy

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
WhiteTrash

« Reply #238 on: July 24, 2012, 11:46:49 am »

Well guess what,it will look even more like your 67

been busy doing other projects so not much happened this week,but did pick up some wheels thanks to people on here pointing me in the direction of them,so unless I can find 6 real gasburners for under 300pounds Shocked
 then I will be running these on the road and a pair of ercos for the slicks

Frank do they look familiar? Cheesy

cheers richie
[/quote]

ATS Cup wheels?
Now get some 8" x 13" with 175/60 13's for Jo's Mk1 with fully adjustable Bilsteins and you got a nice pair of German Lookers  Cool

Oh when you get these genuine Gasburners for 300 quid let me know. I'll have a set of 4 but will still pay th esame as you for 6 on an inflated price. Just trying to get the world economy going again  Wink

HOFF#67

Peter

« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2012, 12:53:39 pm »

Hey Richie,
I don't know if you're interested,
but i have a complete Kdata EFI for sale, wasted spark ignition included...
A lot cheaper than DTA Wink
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: