The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 18:02:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  How much money to run 10s in a street car?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33 Print
Author Topic: How much money to run 10s in a street car?  (Read 459290 times)
richie

« Reply #240 on: July 24, 2012, 14:05:00 pm »

Hey Richie,
I don't know if you're interested,
but i have a complete Kdata EFI for sale, wasted spark ignition included...
A lot cheaper than DTA Wink

Peter can you send me all the details and info to me in a pm please? and a price Smiley

Useing the DTA has an added saving for me as I will be able to put a map into it and get it running pretty close without having to spend money at the dyno Smiley but i am interested in what you have got

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Jeff68

« Reply #241 on: July 25, 2012, 14:53:46 pm »

I just found this thread. This is a great topic / thread.  Many want to run fast on the street and strip, be reliable but on somewhat of a budget.  I really appreciate Richie starting this and doin the work! Also thanks to all those with experience in this for posting on it honsestly.  I will definitely watch this thread! 
Should rename the thread - 10 seconds for 10K  or 10K for 10 Seconds   Grin  Thanks again!
richie

« Reply #242 on: July 27, 2012, 10:10:45 am »

I just found this thread. This is a great topic / thread.  Many want to run fast on the street and strip, be reliable but on somewhat of a budget.  I really appreciate Richie starting this and doin the work! Also thanks to all those with experience in this for posting on it honsestly.  I will definitely watch this thread! 
Should rename the thread - 10 seconds for 10K  or 10K for 10 Seconds   Grin  Thanks again!

Thanks Jeff

hopefully it will be fun Smiley  and we all get to learn something,its to easy to get caught up in the "monkey see,monkey do" attitude and then we as a group never move forward

cheers richie

richie

« Reply #243 on: August 02, 2012, 09:27:45 am »

not much progress

I have ordered the cage from Jim@cotsweld and will have that in a few weeks Smiley

cheers richie

Beetleman

« Reply #244 on: August 29, 2012, 19:14:59 pm »

Absolutely fascinating thread, very informative and extremely interesting to see how the differing thoughts around the car are progressed (or not).

Really looking forward to see this move on, I will be watching with great interest  Smiley

Graeme
Red Rooster

« Reply #245 on: September 03, 2012, 12:15:07 pm »

Hi all I am new to the lounge but have been following this thread for a little while now with quite a bit of interest.

in my old car we ran an 11.5 with a little gas very reliably and consistently. we bracket raced at York and Santa pod. The best money ever spent was an Innovate LM1. a very basic data logger and A/F monitor.

We would log A/F and engine rpm and use the data to back the fuel pressure on the nitrous side down. this gained us agree tenths over what had been advised as a perfect set up of jet sizes and fuel pressure.

We only ever ran a small shot as with the gas on the car was flat out at 112mph on limited at 8200rpm at 1000 feet. same speed as without gas at quarter mile. used to shut the gas off as the shift light came on.

This was only on a 2165 with home ported 42x37.5 heads and ida's. bottle pressure is the key to safe consistent running.

I am very keen to see what is achieved with a controller.

The car was a little lighter than a stock street car but not by a lot I don't think.

It was sold on to fund a V8 funnycar which has just been shelved due to finances so my 67 street car is being re built and restored to become a street strip machine.

Engine parts have been accumulated for a while and its a 2276 on ida's. no cam yet. I have some 043 headss that may get used after a trip to the welders.also with some wiseco's in there so it will take a bit of gas.

Have a cog box built box with close ratio gears and I think a 4.125 r&p. still on a super beetle main shaft.

This thread now has me pondering the potential. any thoughts?

Cheers

David
richie

« Reply #246 on: September 03, 2012, 16:02:50 pm »

I collected an cheap nitrous kit while at SCC,it is the NOS brand which I havent used so more learning to be done there,not much else happened as other cars have taken priority at the moment,but I will keep collecting the parts as I find them for sale so when I do start I will make good progress quickly and not be held up waiting for something

cheers richie

richie

« Reply #247 on: September 03, 2012, 16:07:41 pm »

Hi all I am new to the lounge but have been following this thread for a little while now with quite a bit of interest.

in my old car we ran an 11.5 with a little gas very reliably and consistently. we bracket raced at York and Santa pod. The best money ever spent was an Innovate LM1. a very basic data logger and A/F monitor.

We would log A/F and engine rpm and use the data to back the fuel pressure on the nitrous side down. this gained us agree tenths over what had been advised as a perfect set up of jet sizes and fuel pressure.

We only ever ran a small shot as with the gas on the car was flat out at 112mph on limited at 8200rpm at 1000 feet. same speed as without gas at quarter mile. used to shut the gas off as the shift light came on.

This was only on a 2165 with home ported 42x37.5 heads and ida's. bottle pressure is the key to safe consistent running.

I am very keen to see what is achieved with a controller.

The car was a little lighter than a stock street car but not by a lot I don't think.

It was sold on to fund a V8 funnycar which has just been shelved due to finances so my 67 street car is being re built and restored to become a street strip machine.

Engine parts have been accumulated for a while and its a 2276 on ida's. no cam yet. I have some 043 headss that may get used after a trip to the welders.also with some wiseco's in there so it will take a bit of gas.

Have a cog box built box with close ratio gears and I think a 4.125 r&p. still on a super beetle main shaft.

This thread now has me pondering the potential. any thoughts?

Cheers

David

It sounds like you have got some good knowledge there already from running the other car,and some good parts to use on the next one,the 4.12 R&P is proberly going to be a little short for a nitrous car depending on what 4th gear you have and what tyres you will use?

cheers richie

Red Rooster

« Reply #248 on: September 03, 2012, 17:25:34 pm »

atio

It sounds like you have got some good knowledge there already from running the other car,and some good parts to use on the next one,the 4.12 R&P is proberly going to be a little short for a nitrous car depending on what 4th gear you have and what tyres you will use?

cheers richie

we learned a lot in a few years racing. a lot of the head work I would do differently but we ran lots of mid 11's and 12.2 s no gas in the end and never had a single failure other than one snapped rocker shaft and a bent push rod now and then. I think if the gearing was taller a very low 11 was in there with a bit more gas but I was dubious on mahle's. plus on only a small shot we could choose to run either way at the drop of a hat as we didn't even need to take any timing out of it

I think the new car will run on M+H dots. Big Peter Christie ran some on his 67 and only had good words to say.

I do like the n/a scream of ida's and a lot of rpm (hard on parts I know) and intend boring mine to 51.5 if I can get enough in the heads hopefully I can push the rpm band up a little to help with the mph. the old engines max was trialed at 8400rpm limit but that was on a vw spring and that's when I ran into push rod problems so dropped ot back to 8200 shifting at 7800.. Hopefully if I can get a head and cam combination and valve train stability to see maybe 8.5k there maybe enough in the gearing I have?

I will see if I can find the spec on the box for fourth and the r&p to double check what they where.

Cheers

David
Simpsonshoe

« Reply #249 on: October 25, 2012, 20:11:34 pm »

I have seen a few cars that can run low 11's with mild combos..Two i can think of off the bat.. one a light bracket car that ran mid 12's at around 104-105 with a 2054 a 60 hp shot with very little tuning ran 11.17 at 117.. .. the other a 12.80 1915 IDA motor street sedan that ran 11.17 at 119 with a good sized shot. That 2 or three tenths is no problem those small motors made about 145-150 HP off the jug... All you need is a 2165-2276 built  about 9.0- 9.5 CB perf Pro Gas motor... Put it in a light car with decent gearing.... then slap a shot on it.. work the jetting until the number is reached..   Doubt it will take more thana 60-75 hit and  6000-7000 total.. 
AntLockyer

« Reply #250 on: October 25, 2012, 20:33:31 pm »

I have seen a few cars that can run low 11's with mild combos..Two i can think of off the bat.. one a light bracket car that ran mid 12's at around 104-105 with a 2054 a 60 hp shot with very little tuning ran 11.17 at 117.. .. the other a 12.80 1915 IDA motor street sedan that ran 11.17 at 119 with a good sized shot. That 2 or three tenths is no problem those small motors made about 145-150 HP off the jug... All you need is a 2165-2276 built  about 9.0- 9.5 CB perf Pro Gas motor... Put it in a light car with decent gearing.... then slap a shot on it.. work the jetting until the number is reached..   Doubt it will take more thana 60-75 hit and  6000-7000 total.. 

This is music to my ears. I'd love to get into the 11s with my combo

12.618 @ 104.87mph
richie

« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2012, 20:45:24 pm »

As its so quiet in hear at the moment I thought I would bring this back up,I will be collecting the donor car on sunday,it wasnt possible until now to get me and it in the same place,I have lots of parts gathered and bought for as cheap as possible in the last few months and as soon as I get a couple of small projects finished I will get into it,I still hope to have it running this summer but time and money will get in the way as it is for everyone

cheers richie

richie

« Reply #252 on: December 25, 2012, 13:08:42 pm »

I collected the car on sunday,then yesterday gave it a good jet wash to remove several years of tree etc that had fallen on it,there is still some that wont come of easily on the roof and bonnet,but i am not concerned about that for now.

The plan:

As soon as I can get some space inside my 1st plan is to weigh the car as it sits now,it is missing 1 bumper and a couple of other small items[windscreen wiper motor & running boards most notible] so I will find those from my spares and put them in the car to get it as near as possible to what it would weigh stock.Everything that gets taken off and not re used will be weighed as well,then see what it weighs at the end and I will know how much all the extra junk adds
Then strip it all down to see what horrors are hidden,I will complete what rust repair is needed,convert it to IRS, then add the cage and seat mounts and go from there.

cheers richie

Andy Sykes

« Reply #253 on: December 25, 2012, 13:25:12 pm »

Sounds interesting I'm looking forward to this Smiley

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
henk

« Reply #254 on: December 25, 2012, 13:41:26 pm »

looking forward to the progress as welll.
i'm glad you start with it again.

henk!!!
Airspeed

« Reply #255 on: December 25, 2012, 15:25:17 pm »

Sounds like a lot of work..

Respect for putting in that amount of time in this project, while I am sure your pretty busy like all of us!

Cheers,
Walter

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
AntLockyer

« Reply #256 on: December 25, 2012, 18:31:05 pm »

convert it to IRS,

Going to do a how to?

12.618 @ 104.87mph
nicolas

« Reply #257 on: December 25, 2012, 21:12:48 pm »

so is it done now? 

Grin

best wishes already and i'll be watching this tread for some info on an IRS conversion.  Wink
richie

« Reply #258 on: December 26, 2012, 11:48:17 am »

convert it to IRS,

Going to do a how to?

Hi Ant

do you think its needed? there are some out there already and what I do is not much different? I wasnt planning on it as when I start I just tend to keep going until its done,I dont remember to take photos along the way Wink

cheers richie

richie

« Reply #259 on: December 26, 2012, 11:50:37 am »

so is it done now? 

Grin

best wishes already and i'll be watching this tread for some info on an IRS conversion.  Wink

Hi Nicolas

Nearly Grin  well I nearly started on it Smiley  its actually dry here today so should get a chance to move some things around and at least weigh it ready to take apart

cheers richie

AntLockyer

« Reply #260 on: December 26, 2012, 12:04:37 pm »

Hi Ant

do you think its needed? there are some out there already and what I do is not much different? I wasnt planning on it as when I start I just tend to keep going until its done,I dont remember to take photos along the way Wink

cheers richie

To be honest I've never really looked, but it is something I'd be interested in some point in the future I think. Do you just use a stock IRS torsion housing and weld it in?

12.618 @ 104.87mph
richie

« Reply #261 on: December 26, 2012, 13:19:27 pm »

To be honest I've never really looked, but it is something I'd be interested in some point in the future I think. Do you just use a stock IRS torsion housing and weld it in?

No i use the swingaxle torsion housing,I just cut the frame forks to allow the irs brackets to fit in,I have a jig to hold them in the correct place,then weld them in and swap the spring plates to irs version,also you need to clearance the factory cast body support bracket to clear the irs arm to allow more travel and depending on what year the car is and what cvs you are going to use,sometimes I have to clearance the frame fork for the inner cv

cheers richie

AntLockyer

« Reply #262 on: December 27, 2012, 10:32:11 am »

No i use the swingaxle torsion housing,I just cut the frame forks to allow the irs brackets to fit in,I have a jig to hold them in the correct place,then weld them in and swap the spring plates to irs version,also you need to clearance the factory cast body support bracket to clear the irs arm to allow more travel and depending on what year the car is and what cvs you are going to use,sometimes I have to clearance the frame fork for the inner cv

cheers richie

Sounds pretty straight forward, cheers.

12.618 @ 104.87mph
richie

« Reply #263 on: December 27, 2012, 19:28:39 pm »

The rain held off long enough to get it on the scales today,this is what a near stock RHD 67 weighs,it was missing the rear bumper,1 headlight and the wiper motor, 

Metalflakedave

« Reply #264 on: December 27, 2012, 20:16:12 pm »

The rain held off long enough to get it on the scales today,this is what a near stock RHD 67 weighs,it was missing the rear bumper,1 headlight and the wiper motor, 

Interesting stuff. So thats around 785kgs in total if I've read the scales right?

I'm having my '72 corner weighted soon so wondering what it will weigh. This gives me a good idea - no bumpers on mine, day mouldings wings and glass engine lid, but a little bit of extra interior with modern seats and full rear seat... Maybe 750-800?
richie

« Reply #265 on: December 27, 2012, 21:24:26 pm »

Interesting stuff. So thats around 785kgs in total if I've read the scales right?

I'm having my '72 corner weighted soon so wondering what it will weigh. This gives me a good idea - no bumpers on mine, day mouldings wings and glass engine lid, but a little bit of extra interior with modern seats and full rear seat... Maybe 750-800?

Yes,that 785kg is about right,I noticed later on it didn't have a battery in it either so that would need to be added.

It will suprise you how much weight is added by the whole big engine thing,and as they went on through the years beetles got heavier

cheers richie

Metalflakedave

« Reply #266 on: December 27, 2012, 22:13:24 pm »

Yes,that 785kg is about right,I noticed later on it didn't have a battery in it either so that would need to be added.

It will suprise you how much weight is added by the whole big engine thing,and as they went on through the years beetles got heavier

cheers richie

Cool. Mine is 2276 powered but with all the 'glass panels and a few repro I hope its a bit lighter or the same as a stock '72.

We shall see...
Neil Davies

« Reply #267 on: December 28, 2012, 00:18:32 am »

I'd guess that most fibreglass panels are as heavy, if not heavier than steel items. I'm going for a set of repro steel wings - they're noticeably lighter than original steels.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
tikimadness

« Reply #268 on: December 28, 2012, 09:49:17 am »

I'd guess that most fibreglass panels are as heavy, if not heavier than steel items. I'm going for a set of repro steel wings - they're noticeably lighter than original steels.

Haha you should really get a set of day moulding raceweight wings. They are LIGHT!!! Grin Grin

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
richie

« Reply #269 on: December 28, 2012, 09:59:33 am »

Haha you should really get a set of day moulding raceweight wings. They are LIGHT!!! Grin Grin

Michael

Shhhh!!!! we dont want the wait for them to get longer Wink

Neil there is proberly something in the weight saving thread that gives the weight for them all? if not I will weigh some I have and see what the difference is

cheers richie

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: