The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 16:26:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  How much money to run 10s in a street car?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33 Print
Author Topic: How much money to run 10s in a street car?  (Read 459282 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #690 on: August 18, 2015, 14:01:20 pm »

It's definitely a success, but if you had to do it again what would you have done differently?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
richie

« Reply #691 on: August 18, 2015, 16:46:35 pm »

Congratulations going straight into the 10s!! Not that I had any doubt you could do it.. Wink

So now after you have raced it, what do you feel the potential in the car is with the current set up?

Thank you Smiley

Even I had doubt it would do it 2nd pass as I predicted so its ok if you do to Shocked Cheesy

I think mid 10s are quite achievable as it is now, I would like to put a 2nd kit on it and go for a 9 but not sure the cylinders would take it, or that I have time to develop it that much in next year or so with other projects keeping me occupied so we will see

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
richie

« Reply #692 on: August 18, 2015, 16:49:20 pm »

It's definitely a success, but if you had to do it again what would you have done differently?

That's easy, start with a half decent car Roll Eyes, it took way to much time make it solid again, and also have done a turbo set up, might cost more initially and be more difficult to keep it streetable and decklid closed but would go low 10s or high 9s a lot easier in the long run

cheers Richie

Shane Noone

« Reply #693 on: August 18, 2015, 18:10:22 pm »

Well done anyway, be nice to know how much the car worked out in the end.

Rough total is £11,430, that is with some wheeling and dealing, bought some stuff, didn't need/use it and sold it on, then selling most of the original car[engine, gearbox &axles, interior, front wing and bonnet, front bumper, wheels, stock disc brake spindles, rear shocks]   that I didn't need.
Also I traded some things for my time, so in reality to actually duplicate it would be nearer £13K maybe just over and that is with the cheaper wheels, another set of wheels with used slicks etc would add to it some more.

cheers Richie

Hi Richie,

Great achievement well done. Must have been hugely satisfying to hit the 10's first time out and as you say I'm sure you'll lower that ET once the whole setup is nicely dialled in. As a normally aspirated guy I can't help but wonder what the low ET could be after some more passes, like you say that fumbled 3rd gear run must have hurt that quarter mile run. 12.44@103 reflects this for me as the mph is down for a 12.4 pass. Even so that's a strong pass with the belt on too !  Did you remove the belt for the following NOS assisted passes ?  Just curious.  She really looks to hook up well and launch hard every run. Sounds strong !

Re the build cost, I can't remember now was the original idea to see what it cost someone like yourself who can do most of the work yourself, ie panel welding,chassis and cage mods, respraying, engine building etc you get my drift versus someone like me that can wield a spanner and bolt things on but would have to pay bodyshops and engine builders etc to essentially get the car ready for me to do the fit up stuff...so wonder what would it cost me to build your 10 second street car ?

Cool outcome regardless.

Cheers,

Shane.
richie

« Reply #694 on: August 18, 2015, 19:06:09 pm »

Rough total is £11,430, that is with some wheeling and dealing, bought some stuff, didn't need/use it and sold it on, then selling most of the original car[engine, gearbox &axles, interior, front wing and bonnet, front bumper, wheels, stock disc brake spindles, rear shocks]   that I didn't need.
Also I traded some things for my time, so in reality to actually duplicate it would be nearer £13K maybe just over and that is with the cheaper wheels, another set of wheels with used slicks etc would add to it some more.

cheers Richie

Hi Richie,

Great achievement well done. Must have been hugely satisfying to hit the 10's first time out and as you say I'm sure you'll lower that ET once the whole setup is nicely dialled in. As a normally aspirated guy I can't help but wonder what the low ET could be after some more passes, like you say that fumbled 3rd gear run must have hurt that quarter mile run. 12.44@103 reflects this for me as the mph is down for a 12.4 pass. Even so that's a strong pass with the belt on too !  Did you remove the belt for the following NOS assisted passes ?  Just curious.  She really looks to hook up well and launch hard every run. Sounds strong !

Re the build cost, I can't remember now was the original idea to see what it cost someone like yourself who can do most of the work yourself, ie panel welding,chassis and cage mods, respraying, engine building etc you get my drift versus someone like me that can wield a spanner and bolt things on but would have to pay bodyshops and engine builders etc to essentially get the car ready for me to do the fit up stuff...so wonder what would it cost me to build your 10 second street car ?

Cool outcome regardless.

Cheers,

Shane.

Hi Shane

yes belt off for nitrous passes, I knew it would try throwing it off as engine accelerates much quicker on gas so saved it the hassle , there was the typical headwind at pod which changed direction all day so this may reflect on the mph for the N/A pass, also gearing in 3rd and 4th is so tall that I could probably go quicker using 3 gears only N/A that's why comparing times for different cars is so difficult, they are all different Smiley

Well simplest answer has to be your oval and add a bottle Wink but as I wrote in reply to Zach if I started with a decent car that needed no bodywork, welding paint etc it would save so much time and maybe money, selling all the stock stuff gets a lot of money back now, a stock good running engine is probably £750 plus etc etc

The cage is included in the final price as Jim did it all,  so really if you buy a decent car, can strip it and put all the stuff like engine, gearbox, fuel lines, oil lines, wiring etc in yourself then there isn't a lot you need to pay someone for after cage is done

At beginning of thread I did say my labour would be free, didn't think I would need so much of it though Cheesy  and the idea for me was to show people that already have a 13 or 12 second car that you can loose a second or so off the ET with the nitrous, there has to be hundreds of Cal look type cars out there with 2110/2276/2332/2387 etc etc engines with decent gearboxes that could do this with what they have already, cage wont make it faster, or the ally seats etc but for me I wanted them for my safety, and I could have just rattled canned it and it would still go the same but I wanted my work to last, again money could be saved Wink

cheers Richie

Shane Noone

« Reply #695 on: August 18, 2015, 19:31:23 pm »

"the idea for me was to show people that already have a 13 or 12 second car that you can loose a second or so off the ET with the nitrous, there has to be hundreds of Cal look type cars out there with 2110/2276/2332/2387 etc etc engines with decent gearboxes that could do this with what they have already"

I cut and paste this from your reply Richie as thinks that best answers my question about what was the original intention again with regards to building a street legal racer that could run a 10 second quarter mile.

I appreciate everything else you are saying though.

I no longer have the Oval, sold her to a really nice guy from Newport who wants to tidy her up some more and go drag racing and be competitive. I really hope he does well ( Jim Morse ) and fits NOS as the motor was always built with strength in mind for this ( flanged crank on T4 mains and chevy rod journals / Competition Eliminators and I already had the manifolds tapped and plugged for the NOS jets )   As an example I bought that Oval as a solid car with stock trans and motor that was on the road. It really needed a good respray and I have heard Jim is going to do this. But my costs including purchase of the car, with a Cotsweld 6 point chassis cage for safety in Cro-Mo racing seat and harness, ally panelling, 2332 IDA motor built by JMR and rebuilt by Daz Chandler, Peter at Cogbox built the street / strip spec trans with close 3/ 4th only and a Quaife ATB stood me in approx 22-23k - so to add NOS what another 1k ? call it 24k then and I might have had a 10 second street legal car too - this is just for perspective and not taking away in anyway what you have achieved which I think is great and I take my hat off to you  Grin

Look forward to hearing those ET's are tumbling Richie. Go for it with a 9 second version, that's what I say. Think you know my old mate Chris and his 9 second street legal Scooby powered RWD MK1 Fiesta ?  Do it !!!!  Wink

Cheers,

Shane.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 19:35:49 pm by Shane Noone » Logged
richie

« Reply #696 on: August 19, 2015, 05:33:49 am »

"the idea for me was to show people that already have a 13 or 12 second car that you can loose a second or so off the ET with the nitrous, there has to be hundreds of Cal look type cars out there with 2110/2276/2332/2387 etc etc engines with decent gearboxes that could do this with what they have already"

I cut and paste this from your reply Richie as thinks that best answers my question about what was the original intention again with regards to building a street legal racer that could run a 10 second quarter mile.

I appreciate everything else you are saying though.

I no longer have the Oval, sold her to a really nice guy from Newport who wants to tidy her up some more and go drag racing and be competitive. I really hope he does well ( Jim Morse ) and fits NOS as the motor was always built with strength in mind for this ( flanged crank on T4 mains and chevy rod journals / Competition Eliminators and I already had the manifolds tapped and plugged for the NOS jets )   As an example I bought that Oval as a solid car with stock trans and motor that was on the road. It really needed a good respray and I have heard Jim is going to do this. But my costs including purchase of the car, with a Cotsweld 6 point chassis cage for safety in Cro-Mo racing seat and harness, ally panelling, 2332 IDA motor built by JMR and rebuilt by Daz Chandler, Peter at Cogbox built the street / strip spec trans with close 3/ 4th only and a Quaife ATB stood me in approx 22-23k - so to add NOS what another 1k ? call it 24k then and I might have had a 10 second street legal car too - this is just for perspective and not taking away in anyway what you have achieved which I think is great and I take my hat off to you  Grin

Look forward to hearing those ET's are tumbling Richie. Go for it with a 9 second version, that's what I say. Think you know my old mate Chris and his 9 second street legal Scooby powered RWD MK1 Fiesta ?  Do it !!!!  Wink

Cheers,

Shane.

thought about this a bit, I think you answered your own question here, so how much did it sell for?  say roughly £12k, well if you had very little mechanical skill and couldn't build one yourself then you could have bought your car, added nitrous and gone 10s so even using your £1000 estimate for the nitrous kit you are at £13k, same as what it would cost to replicate my car, and my nitrous kit was about a 1/10th of that cost from a for sale add on here.

So going on that anyone can do it quite easily without spending a fortune Cool

And I already got a car to match Chris's which yes I do know very well, it behaves very much like my version Wink when I finally ship the old cab back to England I will line up with Chris and have some fun Grin

cheers Richie

Eddie DVK

« Reply #697 on: August 19, 2015, 07:13:04 am »

Really think it will go mid 10s like this with some small changes and some development, silly stuff like a different shifter, when I am driving it on road its fine, but strapped in its just to far away and keep missing gears, need one with more bend in it I think

Long legs and short arms  Wink

Just a piece of Ali  Grin

Again well done  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 07:16:12 am by Eddie » Logged

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
richie

« Reply #698 on: August 19, 2015, 16:53:18 pm »

Good idea, but I need more bend in it, height is ok but its to far away, been sitting in it drinking tea and trying to figure out a solution, need to look at some berg shifters as Old cab is fine and has one from them in it

cheers Richie

Neil Davies

« Reply #699 on: August 19, 2015, 17:45:42 pm »

Richie, don't forget that the cab has the shifter further back - they changed for the 1968 model year, so even using the exact one from the cab wouldn't necessarily give you what you need.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
richie

« Reply #700 on: August 19, 2015, 18:25:25 pm »

Richie, don't forget that the cab has the shifter further back - they changed for the 1968 model year, so even using the exact one from the cab wouldn't necessarily give you what you need.

Just though of that about 45mins ago Smiley,was puzzled why it was so different, tried persuading the shifter rod to bend on what I got but no joy so looking at a Bent one from Bergs at moment

richie

« Reply #701 on: August 22, 2015, 18:55:34 pm »

more options

andy198712

« Reply #702 on: August 22, 2015, 20:04:40 pm »

looks more "sleeper" with the porka spares.... but personal preff!
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #703 on: August 23, 2015, 06:49:56 am »

Could we see more pics of the cage? Cool

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
richie

« Reply #704 on: August 23, 2015, 08:52:02 am »

looks more "sleeper" with the porka spares.... but personal preff!

Agreed, I am happy with it like this Smiley

leec

« Reply #705 on: August 23, 2015, 09:51:48 am »

I like the garage too  Smiley
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #706 on: August 23, 2015, 21:02:22 pm »

Richie, nice car, congrats on the number!

Hmmm £2k of nitrous kit and a 82mm crank on shelf, guess the coming months are going to be hectic in the shed!
richie

« Reply #707 on: August 23, 2015, 21:31:39 pm »

Hmmm £2k of nitrous kit and a 82mm crank on shelf, guess the coming months are going to be hectic in the shed!

With £2k of nitrous kit I would be trying for 9s at least!!!!!!  Shocked Wink

Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #708 on: August 24, 2015, 16:53:05 pm »

With £2k of nitrous kit I would be trying for 9s at least!!!!!!  Shocked Wink

It seems excessive for an extra 25 bhp!

Yeah just need the car sorted ;-)

richie

« Reply #709 on: August 25, 2015, 07:47:17 am »

Could we see more pics of the cage? Cool

What do you want to see Steve, let me know and I will post pics up Smiley

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #710 on: August 25, 2015, 07:51:59 am »

cheers Richie

So adding to this to try keep it real, given I was on borrowed wheels and tyres and now I will use some Ercos on back I am adding £500 to the total, £150 for used slicks and £350 for used Ercos, might be able to get the wheels cheaper and if I find another pair of the porsche space saver wheels cheap I will use them but for now I put that value on the Ercos as that seems to be going rate

cheers Richie

Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #711 on: August 25, 2015, 10:41:13 am »

Richie, are slicks a necessity, would the M&H drag radials work on this combo?
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #712 on: August 25, 2015, 11:35:09 am »

cheers Richie

So adding to this to try keep it real, given I was on borrowed wheels and tyres and now I will use some Ercos on back I am adding £500 to the total, £150 for used slicks and £350 for used Ercos, might be able to get the wheels cheaper and if I find another pair of the porsche space saver wheels cheap I will use them but for now I put that value on the Ercos as that seems to be going rate

cheers Richie

Seems like good value when you weigh up the all round performance you've achieved.

Re wheels. Think the guy you bought the space savers from had a couple left recently. Would save you £150 on your total.

Would you be able to give some more details on the nos kit you bought.and its composite parts and regarding the ecu bought,  if buying again would you pick a different model or make.

Regards Ron

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
richie

« Reply #713 on: August 25, 2015, 15:53:52 pm »

Seems like good value when you weigh up the all round performance you've achieved.

Re wheels. Think the guy you bought the space savers from had a couple left recently. Would save you £150 on your total.

Thanks will look into that

Would you be able to give some more details on the nos kit you bought.and its composite parts

This is the advert I bought it from, that's all I know about it parts wise, I just tinkered with it Wink and added some switches

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,19857.0.html

and regarding the ecu bought,  if buying again would you pick a different model or make.

Regards Ron

Difficult to say, as I did it based purely on cost if another brand came up for same money or cheaper maybe, but real advantage for this one for me is familiarity with it as its the newer version of what I have on old cab and I think I got it pretty good tune wise without going to a dyno.

There are lots out there to choose from but all only as good as person tuning them

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #714 on: August 25, 2015, 15:55:22 pm »

Richie, are slicks a necessity, would the M&H drag radials work on this combo?

I am sure you can run 10s on them as well, so no slicks aren't necessity

cheers Richie

Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #715 on: August 25, 2015, 19:44:43 pm »

Thanks for the info Richie

How did your hp v et calculations work out in the real world. I know you did run the 10 you were looking for but was it as deep into a 10 as projected?

Just interested to know how the hp v et calculator works in the real world.

Regards Ron

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
richie

« Reply #716 on: August 25, 2015, 19:57:21 pm »

Thanks for the info Richie

How did your hp v et calculations work out in the real world. I know you did run the 10 you were looking for but was it as deep into a 10 as projected?

Just interested to know how the hp v et calculator works in the real world.

Regards Ron

No not yet, think it should go high 10.70s on a perfect run at about 125mph, and could go quicker, tune is so rich and safe right now and missing gears stopped any progress that day, the 60ft on the 2nd 10 shows the potential is there Wink

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #717 on: August 28, 2015, 09:13:03 am »

So, are you going to enter the cab in Super Comp & the 67 in Super Street?  If your desperate & need a 2nd driver.......   Cheesy Tongue Wink

Congrats by the way, fantastic achievement.

Really?  Funny how great minds think alike eh?  (Or fools seldom differ  Grin )

As for mine, i'm way off.  It'll be next year before i'm finished.  I've been a bit distracted lately with another (small) project.  Well it started out as a small project & has grown a little.  F**king RHD UK cars.........   Wink

As you said fools seldom differ Cheesy

Entry list for National finals so far

http://www.eurodragster.com/santapod/entrylists/2015uknationalfinals.htm          Wink

cheers Richie

Udo

« Reply #718 on: August 28, 2015, 09:53:32 am »

Bring that car to the track and race proet or super street :-)

Udo

richie

« Reply #719 on: August 28, 2015, 10:12:17 am »

Bring that car to the track and race proet or super street :-)

Udo

I am going to race super street Smiley

cheers Richie

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: