The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 16:46:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350809 Posts in 28596 Topics by 6825 Members
Latest Member: vertvolks
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Calibre.65 (VWSP65) - street/strip build
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Calibre.65 (VWSP65) - street/strip build  (Read 40430 times)
Black_65

Life's too short, so drop a bomb on it....

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 11:32:19 am »

Here's a picture sent this week by Accuspark/BB Clasic's of my seats that have been made for the car Cheesy.

Full leather with red swtiching

And the team crew tops came and of course the little supporters goodies....

So the car is in GM Bodycraft hands for paint, So will update when the cars back with new paint :mrgreen:

'Never Forgotten' O/FF 456 10.49 @ 125.5 MPH

A tribute car to the fallen - raising money for 'support our paras' charity.
https://www.facebook.com/Calibre65RaceTeam/
Black_65

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 11:32:55 am »

Hi Guy's

Me again lol... Have some updates on the build Cheesy.

Car is now 'primed' and waiting to be flaten and painted. Got a few little tricks being done but i'll post that once its finished haha...

Made a plate and welded the bolts to mount the nitrous bottle, made 2 plates to mount the purge valve and fuel pressure switch. Really happy with them and look smart :mrgreen:

picking up the gearbox from the rebuild and engines back from the dyno set up next week.

stay turned fokes....!

Black_65

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 11:33:39 am »

Updates Cheesy

Well roll cage was painted friday and been told by Gary at GM Bodycraft it will be all painted by next friday and then leave it to harden a few days to flaten and the polish. So should have the car back in 2 weeks...YEA!

Accuspark has a little issue with rebuilding my gearbox as they didn't have a replacement 'pinon bearing' so had to order one from germany but will be here next week. So say another 2 weeks for that. My seats will be here next friday Cheesy.

Engine was at GAC in the hands of Alan to have the motor checked, set up and dyno'd and picking that up this friday (14th). Can't wait to see what the motor is making....

Last is i have everything now to start fitting the nitrous to the car once its back from the bodyshop.

So also been told i may have another 5 weeks off work, so this will take the stress off and will make the time line for BUG JAM!

Black_65

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 11:34:21 am »

Well here you go guy's a few pictures of the car, its nearly finsihed from the bodyshop and engine is still waiting to be dyno'd as it broke it on the power run  :eek: and a little issue means gearbox will be ready to collect next week....YEA!

Black_65

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 11:35:05 am »

and here its flatten, polished and with sponsor logos on  Cheesy

YEA  :lol:

Black_65

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 11:35:54 am »

Well heres the car finished from GM Bodycraft, All flatten and polished. Yes its missing the bonnet lol, but it reacted so had to be stripped and painted again.

Most items is fitted for now, but its back to the car HQ for race car prep for Bug Jam and yes its 15 days away :eek: lol!

Black_65

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2013, 11:36:37 am »

Calibre.65 HQ...

Ive still got the gearbox and engine to collect but got the inside painted to clean up the red over spray from the roll cage.

Just to put it out there, this is not a show car but the brief was to look wicked in the stands while at the start line racing.

But it still looks fooking sweet and happy its got a few more years in her lol...

So that's it now untill Bug Jam if i make it hahahahahaha :roll:

dannyboy

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2013, 19:22:39 pm »

Cool

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Jesse Wens

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 09:05:33 am »

I am realy liking this build.
Hope to see it run in real life some day.

Happy wrenching

Jesse

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
Black_65

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2013, 21:32:21 pm »

Ok guy's not able to make Bug Jam now because of some issues at work and delays on the motor.

But on the plus side, at least i'll build it right and safe ready for the MOT booked on the 12th Aug.

OK so updates then Cheesy... So made a 'oil pressure earning light' out of a shift light, Battery starp made, wired up the launch control button on the steering wheel, front lights and indicators fitted & wired up, door card cleaned & fitted, roll cage padding fitted, nitrous gauge all plumbed in & dash finished!

Cheesy  Cheesy

Black_65

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2013, 21:33:36 pm »

Monday 15th :-

Got the bonnet fitted up today, the car is fitted with my centerlines Cheesy... Im loving the look of the car ATM Cheesy

Also picked up the gearbox, got to finish the build off but thats the easy part lol.

As for the motor,

Called GAC today for a pick up but a few issues have but it back until Friday. With what it's costing me I want it coming out 100%.

So made 156hp under 6k, this is due to Alan not knowing if it was ran in. Issues are the chokes are way to big, so he's changing them and putting it on the dyno to find more power. He said there dyno under reads on power figures so should be around the 165 mark which I'm very happy with!

Other issue is the oil pressure is way to high! So Alan is changing the oil pump plate and doing a mod to set the pressure as it will blow the oil seal on the filter.

Really can't rate these guys enough at GAC Motorsport

dannyboy

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2013, 22:50:20 pm »

good stuff looks ace  Cool

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2013, 05:26:41 am »

So made 156hp under 6k, this is due to Alan not knowing if it was ran in. Issues are the chokes are way to big, so he's changing them and putting it on the dyno to find more power. He said there dyno under reads on power figures so should be around the 165 mark which I'm very happy with!

Don't all engine builders say that?

Looking good

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
dannyboy

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2013, 12:31:35 pm »

Don't all engine builders say that?

Looking good
my engine made 211on this dyno and 225 on a dyno dynamics rolling road  Wink

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Black_65

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2013, 20:00:14 pm »

I'll be happy with 160-165 on GAC's dyno as it could be around the 170 mark... plus as long as its more than my friends 2332 at 16o, then im super happy lol  Tongue

Shane Noone

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2013, 21:08:28 pm »

I'll be happy with 160-165 on GAC's dyno as it could be around the 170 mark... plus as long as its more than my friends 2332 at 16o, then im super happy lol  Tongue

Hey Clarke, good to see your nearly there and soon be out racing with us instead of cleaning up after Danny's leaky pushrod tubes  Cheesy

When the motor is in the bug you could scoot over to DS Performance Rolling Road where Danny recorded 225 and do a power run there. Also don't forget to compare directly it needs to be without your fanbelt connected ! The fanbelt will reduce you power figure in proportion to the power potential of the motor. Danny's 225 was without the conventional fanbelt setup. The JMR build 2332 of mine made 225 bhp at the flywheel without cooling and 214 with conventional fanbelt driving a smaller power pulley on the crank. A larger pulley would definetly sap even more.

Your buddy's 2332 making 160. Was that at the wheels ? the flywheel ? with the fanbelt on ? Lots of variables including motor spec, dyno calibration, heat and humidity on the day of testing etc etc........

Good Progress chap !!

Cheers,

Shane.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2013, 21:51:34 pm »

Flywheel hp isa pointless comparison as every trans train has a different loss, it's at the wheels that counts. We don't drive down the qtr on the flywheel lol

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
Andy Sykes

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2013, 21:52:14 pm »

Oh awesome work bty Smiley

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

dannyboy

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2013, 22:46:48 pm »

its what it does on the track thats important  Wink

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Shane Noone

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2013, 23:15:15 pm »

Flywheel hp isa pointless comparison as every trans train has a different loss, it's at the wheels that counts. We don't drive down the qtr on the flywheel lol

Hello Mr Sykes. So your Crew Chief for Danny right ?  How come you let him talk about his flywheel horsepower numbers then and not his wheel horsepower numbers Huh 

There aren't many people out there that quote their wheel horsepower figures in reality are there ? Most like to talk about their flywheel achievements. Makes for good Pub gossip if nothing else !

And I quite agree with Danny to be fair, it's not the horsepower numbers that count but the times you run at the track.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2013, 23:30:11 pm »

It's Danny's  car not mine he can talk about what he likes  Roll Eyes I'm not his keeper I just help the guy out. You can't compare cars like ours one to the other bhp wise as they are all so different. In gearing, weight etc etc . As Danny said it what it does on the track look at the jap guys with the said 1000 hp and only run 11s . Like you said bhp is just about pub talk. Get your car on a hub dyno and find what's at the wheels even that means jack on the track

Cheers Andy
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 23:58:06 pm by Andy Sykes » Logged

Black_65

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 22:30:08 pm »

Hey guy's,

Well hope you all and did have a awesome weekend racing at the pod!

Friday 19th -

Finally got my engine back from GAC Motorsport and i have to say i'm a very happy boy Cheesy. Alan did an amazing job on sorting my 2165 out. We came up with a plan and desided to up the C/R to 10.1. Now i know people will say you shoud have or shouldn't have but i left it in there hands and it was needed TBH.

Also with work there, they had to do alot of tidying up and squaring up my dellortos that was refurbed by some one. The butterflys was not stright and sitting right for a start...

Also had a real issue of the motor running really high oil press, So again Alan saved the day by fitting a new oil pump plate to control/set the oil pressure so i don't blow oil filter seals every 5mins :eek:.

Ok the out come, So the motor made 161.4hp on GAC's dyno. Alan said his dyno tends to read lower than others... In fact 10-15hp lower. We know this as He built and looks after Danny's Pike car. That engine made 211hp on GAC's dyno and dyno'd it at theres friends place and the same motor, set-up made 225hp.

All in all mine could be around the 170-175hp mark, which im very happy with! and that's with out the gas, belt etc.

He also do great on setting up the timing using Accusparks new programable box, Again which is very basic but gives you the next level up on the 009 dizzy with full mapable ignition.

Here's the print out,

Not too bad if i say so myself lol... I've already come up with a plan with Alan for next year on the motor lol.... Head work, fuel injection Cheesy.

OK boring bit's, Gearbox painted and i now have all the bits to finish building back up the box and have ready to fit next weekend. Just need rear drum shoes (if you can advise any good ones?) and also put my own touch to my gene berg shifter.

Well are getting there !!!

Shane Noone

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 22:50:48 pm »

Hey Clarke,

It's all coming together mate. Good Work !! Look forward to racing with you soon.....

Rear brakes -are you on stock '65 drums ? Not sure if anyone makes an upgrade shoe....you can do the T3 wide 5 conversion and T3 / T4 detectives used to do a kit for this upgrade. The drums are much wider and so are the shoes. If you don't plan on driving on the street then you should be fine anyway.

Cheers

Shane.
Black_65

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2013, 05:37:35 am »

Hi Shane,

im so looking forward to just meeting up as we are near each other and going for a few runs down the pod at weekends Grin.

As for the rear brakes, Yes i'll be driving on the street but will be looking too upgrade to rear discs next year when i have the pennys lol.

Black_65

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2013, 19:23:57 pm »

Some more work done Cheesy

Got the carpet in, and mounted the drivers seat with the 4-point harness.

Bonnet trim fitted and just waiting to rivit the catch's on

I also made these 2 rear covers as the rear seats are no longer in the car. All this for a clean look Cheesy

Next weekend im picking up my porker fan and bell crank linkage and sunday me and my crew chief are finishing the gearbox and hoping to have that fitted and all brakes bled.

We are getting there and i have 3 weeks off from friday and MOT booked for 15th Aug!

dannyboy

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2013, 19:29:17 pm »

Cool

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
Black_65

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2013, 19:43:19 pm »

Approval from my mentor Grin

Andy Sykes

« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2013, 21:01:41 pm »

Fuck me you have a bomb behind your seat

Black_65

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2013, 22:08:33 pm »

good or bad idea Shocked

it will have a safety blow valve with a pipe going to the floor pan

Andy Sykes

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2013, 22:23:59 pm »

good or bad idea Shocked

it will have a safety blow valve with a pipe going to the floor pan

Grin good lad

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: