The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 13:44:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  The weight saving thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 Print
Author Topic: The weight saving thread  (Read 517301 times)
richie

« Reply #900 on: November 19, 2020, 18:46:06 pm »

Grin

Richie, I do not know what or how to "beat you" right now. Gasoline refill door in CF?
Replace the roof?
Make a full CF VW tub beetle? That would be cool!  Roll Eyes
I guess I should start by installing my doors and the missing rear bumper too.

Anyway, these are two pictures from my workplace. Maybe a CF wheel for our beetles? Naw, price would be silly just to do the tools needed.
I am practical guy and my only formal title is Composite Engineer (diploma from the early 80´s) but I am neither very skilled or have any practice on the topic doing the CF parts myself. So buying the parts is expensive.
But dreaming is fun!

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Stuff like carbon wheels is way out of my skill level as well, I do have some winter plans which will really push me though, if i can make it work will be quite out there Shocked Wink Cheesy

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
richie

« Reply #901 on: November 21, 2020, 16:57:28 pm »

1st "light street" version out mould today, this has some extra carbon where rear tail lights attach, and also mounting edge and around front bottom lip for running board to bolt through but realistically its about as light as you would want to go.  
1st pic is fresh out of mould and second pic is weight after main trimming done but not mounting holes drilled or bumper slot cut out Shocked
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 17:07:45 pm by richie » Logged

richie

« Reply #902 on: November 22, 2020, 09:01:52 am »

I have also been working on fronts, with the added aero pushing down on the front end the top of the front tyre was getting to close to the wing, so I used the bulged fronts i made a few years ago as a pattern, then added more height and area to the bulges for extra clearance, then painted them and created the moulds, unfortunately one didn't work as i had a big chemical reaction between wing surface and mould gelcoat but I finished the one that did and created this from it Grin  Now to fix the other wing and re paint etc to make other side  

spanners

« Reply #903 on: December 04, 2020, 22:03:37 pm »

This is the picture Neil mentioned that provoked me to make the carbon bonnet, you can see the fiberglass version collapsing on the top area and this is only at 130mph so going 170 who know how bad it is Shocked

thats intreaging as that area would be at lower pressure than the fronta areal, my guess is you have a pressure differential with lower pressure under the hood, i had plastic side windows ,badly fitted, and they came out at the top at around eighty five mph, at the same time as the semaphores lifted out with the rain gutter deflection, is it open to ground under the hood ?

Best regards, spanners.
richie

« Reply #904 on: December 04, 2020, 22:28:19 pm »

is it open to ground under the hood ?

No its filled in best i can do[flat undertray from back of splitter edge to front of floor as wide as possible so doesn't interfere with suspension]

ibg

« Reply #905 on: December 05, 2020, 02:51:09 am »

I am upgrading my Karmann Ghia road/track car. I'm trying to get the most weight out of the rotating assemblies, then generally get the car lighter even though I've added a cage and a berg 5. At the moment I'm mostly working on brakes and hubs, I have changing to ventilated disks at the front and I'd like to get them as light as the stock disks.
The disk needs mass to absorb heat, everything else get lighter. So 944 hubs, Ti studs, etc. First up I made these caps, I beat the tops out of sheet aluminium and cut off some 2 1/4 tube, braised them together, sanded and polished them in the lathe ('cos its a hobby  Grin). The hole in the top needs finishing square for the speedo cable.
I'll add some other pictures as time permits.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 02:58:02 am by ibg » Logged
ibg

« Reply #906 on: December 05, 2020, 03:26:21 am »

The rear gearbox cradle weighs a bit, and I had seen these alloy ones on a German site but they were no longer made, eventually one came up on the samba. Once bought, I drilled a few more holes, drilled early bolts, they are lighter than the late bolts (19g) and used early washers, lighter as well (3g) than late washers. I know its a bit obsessive  Shocked but i'm following in the footsteps of many on this thread.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
spanners

« Reply #907 on: December 06, 2020, 14:06:06 pm »

is it open to ground under the hood ?

No its filled in best i can do[flat undertray from back of splitter edge to front of floor as wide as possible so doesn't interfere with suspension]

Ah, ok Richie , ive just seen your pic and that tells me a lot, the air dam and splitter are working very well, you have good negative pressure under there and thats whats deforming the hood, i use a similar setup on my circuit car but have to run at four inches to the deck at rest, the only thing so far ive gained with no serious on track handling testing yet is lower oil and coolant temperatures with lower underside pressure pulling more air through the systems, the next step is a decent rear diffusor to clean up the exit air flow which with our flat fours is something of a corked bottleneck, ive managed to get the cork out Wink somewhat, its a big task but the rewards are there. love the carbon work ur doing, i made a glass roof for my autocross car years back before they were banned. Wink a nice saving in carbon..

Best regards, spanners.
Garrick Clark

« Reply #908 on: December 06, 2020, 15:07:46 pm »

Richie, Dare I ask how much 2 fronts and 2 rears would cost.

Air cooled Engine builder
richie

« Reply #909 on: December 06, 2020, 18:11:33 pm »

Richie, Dare I ask how much 2 fronts and 2 rears would cost.

Rears are £450 each, haven't priced fronts yet as need to make headlight buckets really so can be used on street properly

cheers Richie

ALB

« Reply #910 on: December 08, 2020, 13:30:07 pm »

The rear gearbox cradle weighs a bit, and I had seen these alloy ones on a German site but they were no longer made, eventually one came up on the samba. Once bought, I drilled a few more holes, drilled early bolts, they are lighter than the late bolts (19g) and used early washers, lighter as well (3g) than late washers. I know its a bit obsessive  Shocked but i'm following in the footsteps of many on this thread.
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

How thick is the material on the aluminum cradle?
ibg

« Reply #911 on: December 10, 2020, 00:00:22 am »

Alb, I had chance to measure it today, all parts of the cradle are 5mm aluminium.

ibg

« Reply #912 on: January 01, 2021, 00:44:33 am »

I've been working on my front spindles and brakes. My goal was to have something as light or lighter than the Type 1 disks (278mm), but vented and more thermal mass, and Porsche bolt pattern and still fit in a 15" wheel. I used alloy 944 hubs and vented disks, 282mm diameter, and wilwood Dynapro 4 piston calipers. Lanner in Canada made the brackets to fit the radial mount calipers to the VW (or Mendeola spindles). I cut some mass out of the back of the disk and used Ti fasteners. I ended up saving 1.332 kg
brewsy

« Reply #913 on: January 01, 2021, 15:23:56 pm »

I've been working on my front spindles and brakes. My goal was to have something as light or lighter than the Type 1 disks (278mm), but vented and more thermal mass, and Porsche bolt pattern and still fit in a 15" wheel. I used alloy 944 hubs and vented disks, 282mm diameter, and wilwood Dynapro 4 piston calipers. Lanner in Canada made the brackets to fit the radial mount calipers to the VW (or Mendeola spindles). I cut some mass out of the back of the disk and used Ti fasteners. I ended up saving 1.332 kg

NICE.
Are you going to run ABS or is that just the way the 'vents' appear on the back side of the disc?

Marc
PPRMicke

« Reply #914 on: January 01, 2021, 17:48:14 pm »

I get confused that everyone spends a lot of time trying to get the weight down on the front of the car
It gets even easier and the balance of the car gets worse
On a fast drag racing car, you put all the effort into finding the weight at the front (in a prefect world it is 50-50% or 55-45%)
The same with track racing more weight forward, works much better and the balance gets better and the car goes faster
If the car has 80% rear weight then it is 20% front as standard
Then light 10% until Is it good Huh
to reduce weight on rims and tires is good
But a sheet metal rim at the back and a light alloy at the front
If you talk about what the center line of weight distribution is, you work with the chassis of a fast racing car
Maybe you should think twice more
/// M
richie

« Reply #915 on: January 01, 2021, 18:38:04 pm »

I get confused that everyone spends a lot of time trying to get the weight down on the front of the car
It gets even easier and the balance of the car gets worse
On a fast drag racing car, you put all the effort into finding the weight at the front (in a prefect world it is 50-50% or 55-45%)
The same with track racing more weight forward, works much better and the balance gets better and the car goes faster
If the car has 80% rear weight then it is 20% front as standard
Then light 10% until Is it good Huh
to reduce weight on rims and tires is good
But a sheet metal rim at the back and a light alloy at the front
If you talk about what the center line of weight distribution is, you work with the chassis of a fast racing car
Maybe you should think twice more
/// M

Micke, I mostly agree Smiley  but if you lose 10kgs from 0.5m from front of car, then add 5kgs to actual front of car it is still lighter, but front/rear weight balance is better Cool  I think we agree it is how you place the weight that matters Wink I have 35kg piece of lead that is 3 1/2 inches from ground[car has to have 3inches clearance for track rules] and maybe 1inch from front of car, so basically as far forward as possible.
Everything that is behind that place on car i look at to try lose weight  Shocked Grin 

Happy new year to you Smiley  cheers Richie

ibg

« Reply #916 on: January 01, 2021, 21:05:25 pm »

Marc, no ABS for me, its just how much of the vents was left after I cut away the back of the disk that wasn't going to touch the pad.
Micke, I agree about the overall weight distribution and a lot of work is going into lightening the rear of the car to improve overall balance and moving weight inboard. As a road race car I would like it closer to 50/50 then I still consider whether to have the weight close to the centre line for better turning response or forward of the front axle as Richie suggests, for best weight distribution. With that in mind I've got a fibreglass rear bumper and and steel front bumper.
I put a lot of work into the rotating assemblies because the lighter they are the easier it is to accelerate them and get them to change direction and the suspension is much more responsive with less unsprung weight. I agree a light wheel and tire is more important as they are further from the centre line of the axle (spinning forces) but less weight in the hubs/brakes helps the wheels stay in contact with the road better
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 22:31:26 pm by ibg » Logged
PPRMicke

« Reply #917 on: January 02, 2021, 10:00:04 am »

Marc, no ABS for me, its just how much of the vents was left after I cut away the back of the disk that wasn't going to touch the pad.
Micke, I agree about the overall weight distribution and a lot of work is going into lightening the rear of the car to improve overall balance and moving weight inboard. As a road race car I would like it closer to 50/50 then I still consider whether to have the close to the centre line for better turning response or forward of the from axle as Richie suggests, for best weight distribution. With that in mind I've got a fibreglass rear bumper and and steel front bumper.
I put a lot of work into the rotating assemblies because the lighter they are the easier it is to accelerate them and get them to change direction and the suspension is much more responsive with less unsprung weight. I agree a light wheel and tire is more important as they are further from the centre line of the axle (spinning forces) but less weight in the hubs/brakes helps the wheels stay in contact with the road better
Glad you think that way
There are many pitfalls when building a car for track racing / street
A tip that can be good to know
As the lateral force on the wheel suspension That it wants to flex a lot
Like the spider pin that often wants to bend by the lateral force
Then the whole spider wants to flex if you do not choose the right material
How to notice this is that the brake pads want to leave the disc after cornering   And you get a long brake pedal
/// M
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:01:41 am by PPRMicke » Logged
karmi

« Reply #918 on: January 26, 2021, 21:11:58 pm »

Plastic screws for fenders  Wink [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 21:13:29 pm by karmi » Logged
ibg

« Reply #919 on: January 27, 2021, 01:39:37 am »

14 g saving is not a lot, but..... there are a lot of these bolts. And it's cheap and easy, and they don't rust, win, win, win.
Good work  Grin
brewsy

« Reply #920 on: January 27, 2021, 21:59:51 pm »

Plastic screws for fenders  Wink [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Did you buy or print them yourself??

Cheers
karmi

« Reply #921 on: January 28, 2021, 00:37:27 am »

Bought from e-bay. Are from Cina, but are ok. 36 screws for the fenders are 36x14g = 504g. No rust and if you have a crash, the side wall won't bend because it will break off.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 00:40:18 am by karmi » Logged
Eddie DVK

« Reply #922 on: January 28, 2021, 08:03:14 am »

Bought from e-bay. Are from Cina, but are ok. 36 screws for the fenders are 36x14g = 504g. No rust and if you have a crash, the side wall won't bend because it will break off.  Wink

Grin Cheesy nice.

You maybe have a link?

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
karmi

« Reply #923 on: January 29, 2021, 01:13:18 am »

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=Kunststoffschraube+Sechskantschraube+Schwarz+Nylon+Bolzen+DIN+933+M8+M10+M12&_sacat=0
Eddie DVK

« Reply #924 on: January 29, 2021, 07:48:32 am »

Thanks

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
Bruce

« Reply #925 on: January 31, 2021, 21:04:01 pm »

Wow, they're cheap too.  A box of 50 delivered for around $9USD.

A couple of years ago, I looked at the fender bolts and bought Al ones (3.6g each). They were quite a bit more $ than the nylon ones.
richie

« Reply #926 on: February 01, 2021, 08:54:35 am »

Wow, they're cheap too.  A box of 50 delivered for around $9USD.

A couple of years ago, I looked at the fender bolts and bought Al ones (3.6g each). They were quite a bit more $ than the nylon ones.

I have been getting them from mcmastercarr for a few years now, anything non structural gets them Wink

ibg

« Reply #927 on: February 02, 2021, 01:24:55 am »

I remember discussion once about if you could get a Berg5 down to the weight of a 4 speed. Anyway when 'Dangerous' Dave Butler built my gear box I asked him to see what weight he could get out of it. My old box was fairly basic with a super diff, where the new one is all Weddle, plus a Quaife which is heavy. Any way Dave spent a day or more drilling and at the lathe.
first the Quaife

a fair bit of gear drilling

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 01:34:58 am by ibg » Logged
ibg

« Reply #928 on: February 02, 2021, 01:37:47 am »

modify the ring gear

The mainshaft also got a thrust bearing (no weight saving)

ibg

« Reply #929 on: February 02, 2021, 01:41:12 am »

The end result......  the 5 speed was 5.7 kg heavier than the 4 speed, but I think it was a great result considering the amount of new metal that goes into a 5 speed, not to mention the Quaife.

I finished up rifle drilling the clutch shaft and a few holes in the arm.

I hope to fit it in the next few weeks.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: