The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 01, 2024, 05:02:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Louis' 66 Cal-look Build
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Louis' 66 Cal-look Build  (Read 58475 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: July 05, 2008, 23:36:50 pm »

Time to start a new thread to focus on the build of the '67. The end results will be a '70s era Cal-looker with a 2 liter. Here is a quick pic to give you an idea where I am going with it.

Here are a pic of what I started with:

Don't let the pics fool you. She has a ton of rust. The only thing I will keep from the original car is the hood, shell and pan. The rest is headed for the dumpster. I got a long way to go.

--louis

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:39:05 am by louisb » Logged

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 23:40:16 pm »

Fenders fun. Spent today filling in the turn signal on the driver's side front fender. I have also filled the front horn grill in prep for a set of Lucas turn signals.

--louis

Louis Brooks

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 03:32:10 am »

Nice job on those fenders. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:45:53 am »

Seconded, very tidy job. Love the plans too.

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:15:33 am »

Drivers side fender finished. At this rate I may have all four done by Christmas.  Cheesy  I ended up using a little body solder (lead free) around the are I mounted the turn Lucas turn signal. It was not as bad to work with as I thought. Especially since you can sand this stuff with power tools. Most of what you see in the first pic ended up being sanded off. I am still a little unsure about the turn signal location but its a little late now to change it.  Grin

I plan to have the SB12 stripped and paint it body color. I am trying to decide if I want to do the same to the little chrome bezel on the turn signal. I plan to shave the hood handle too.

Next up, the pass side fender.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:27:48 am »

Drivers side fender finished. At this rate I may have all four done by Christmas.  Cheesy  I ended up using a little body solder (lead free) around the are I mounted the turn Lucas turn signal. It was not as bad to work with as I thought. Especially since you can sand this stuff with power tools. Most of what you see in the first pic ended up being sanded off. I am still a little unsure about the turn signal location but its a little late now to change it.  Grin

I plan to have the SB12 stripped and paint it body color. I am trying to decide if I want to do the same to the little chrome bezel on the turn signal. I plan to shave the hood handle too.

Next up, the pass side fender.

--louis
HI Louis you are very close on the Lucas lights Rule of thumb is to tie a string around the headlight ring screw and line the string up with the top of the oval bumper slot it ends up being to one side of the horn grill opening car looks good I am still working on the 58 Pan and the Dash Section have not started any other Body Work

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
H67bug

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 07:37:29 am »

string around the headlight ring screw and line the string up with the top of the oval bumper slot it ends up being to one side of the horn grill opening car looks good I am still working on the 58 Pan and the Dash Section have not started any other Body Work
[/quote]
Hi

WHen using this method should that string go through the centre of the indicator? A really good explanation of how to locate them- thanks?

Louis- looking good! Grin
Neil Davies

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 09:24:00 am »

Looking good Louis! I'm going to paint the headlight ring body colour on my brothers car, but I'm keeping the ring on the Lucas in chrome. The way I see it, it'll tie in with the handles and the number plate surround.

Of course, I might change my ideas again - I keep looking at Mike Billings car with the blacked out trims...

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
wolfswest

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 09:34:35 am »

nice work!  I wish I could do stuff like that myself, but all I can do is control my keyboard at work...   Grin

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 15:12:37 pm »

Looking good Louis! I'm going to paint the headlight ring body colour on my brothers car, but I'm keeping the ring on the Lucas in chrome. The way I see it, it'll tie in with the handles and the number plate surround.

I had not thought about it that way. Plus there is a little chrome on the tail lights too.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Neil Davies

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 15:39:06 pm »

I remember a black '67 several years ago with the Lucas rings blacked out, and it just looked too much - like something was missing from the indicators.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 15:47:34 pm »

i like the chrome lucas rings on the black bitch and heydon's '67!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 16:37:57 pm »

string around the headlight ring screw and line the string up with the top of the oval bumper slot it ends up being to one side of the horn grill opening car looks good I am still working on the 58 Pan and the Dash Section have not started any other Body Work
Hi

WHen using this method should that string go through the centre of the indicator? A really good explanation of how to locate them- thanks?

Louis- looking good! Grin
[/quote]here is how it should be done with the string the Lucas light is in the old horn grill hole but use a string for centering the light.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 19:08:39 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
H67bug

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 18:33:58 pm »

Thank you....crystal clear.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 22:52:51 pm »

It has finally cooled off enough to be able to do some work on the car. Past two weeks it has been 100 deg f with around 95% humidity. (115 - 120 heat index) First three pics shows how to halve the value of a part. First pic shows a NOS '67 deck lid, the second pic shows a used part (still same deck lid, just been mounted on the car) third pic shows the trim holes filled. In the first pic you can see a two vent late model deck lid int he back ground. I was all set to convert this NOS lid to a 'vert look a like but have since decided to keep it vent free. Last couple of pics show stripping the doors down and filling the trim holes.

NOS '67 Decklid

Used Part. Can you tell the difference? There is no such thing as a NOS like part. It is either one or the other. All NOS means is it has never been mounted on a car. It says nothing about the condition of the part.

Trim holes, begone.

Look ma, no holes.

(Why are is that group of restorers heading this way carrying pitchforks?  Grin )

--louis

Louis Brooks

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 13:52:23 pm »

Yeah I know you set it on the car, so you didn't feel bad about filling the holes on a N.O.S. part anymore.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 06:34:35 am »

I think the car will be great and looks like great work you are doing. I'm not so crazy about ragtop on later than '63 though.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 14:26:26 pm »

I think the car will be great and looks like great work you are doing. I'm not so crazy about ragtop on later than '63 though.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah most people either love the rag top idea or hate it. But after seeing this car:

I really like the look. Plus I doubt I will see another black '67 w/ a Goldie rag too often.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Shubee2 (DSK)

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 01:58:48 am »

Here is another 67 Standard Ragtop look at the carpet looks like felt? no fuel Gauge or dash chrome even has A fuel reserve lever and euro bumpers cool car
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:02:23 am by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 12:19:15 pm »

That looks sweet.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Prowagen

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 15:01:44 pm »

In the UK we got folding roofs on late cars there were golde but not with a pressed roof section, maybe it was a dealer option here in Europe? The roof i have came off a 71 and I have seen may 67s with the 3 fold type too.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2008, 18:55:55 pm »

Louis, go ragtop. I't's so sweet on a hot summer night.

Done ? Not Yet.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 12:36:07 pm »

Oh I plan too. Just debating the best way to install it. If I were a better welder/fabricator I would butt weld it in, but I am thinking of taking the easy way and using a flange.

--louis

Louis Brooks

lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 22:05:18 pm »

I personally think it's better anyway to do it with a flange, most pro's do it like that...

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 03:06:30 am »

Louis did you metal finish the front turn signals by but welding the patch-in? if yes the next project but weld that rag section. and not to grind you, but whats up with the lead on fender's. take your time and get a vixon file and metal finish that kind of stuff! it really faster, think about how much time it took. to lead them in. get a can of spray di-kem the blue lay-out die. spray, waight till dry then lightly file, and find highs and lows and fix'em

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 14:23:24 pm »

Yeah, I did the turnsignal as a butt weld and metal finished it. I had intended to do the same on the horn grill but my welding is still inconsistent and I had some bad burn through that I ended up cutting out and rewelding.  Embarrassed  After all the welding, grinding etc the metal is pretty thin there so I decided to use the led to give it some thickness. I may end up going back and cutting it all out and redoing it. I am still learning.  Smiley

--louis

Louis Brooks

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2008, 16:27:14 pm »

they still looked good. good practice. try copper backing when mig welding thin sheet.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Bugace

Three men, a '73 03s, and 13 days. NOOOO, we didn'

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2008, 17:40:43 pm »

Looks good! Smiley
Full of rust You say! Guess You would just turn away looking at my 1303 as it was when I started. I'll do the heaviest repairs after dooing the exterior though. This because I got the posibillity to use a professional garage, when they had theire summer vacation. Doing the paintjob there for close to nothing. Saved a lot of time, or 13000 $, doing so. Those 13 would I never managed put together, so it was a very welcome opertunity.

Well past 40, but finally a dream comes thrue!
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2008, 23:45:48 pm »

Split the body from the pan this weekend. What a PITA. There were only 6 bolts but the PO had welded the pan to the body. I kid you not. Instead of fixing the heater channels they took some flat metal and welded it to the channel and the pan to close up the holes. They also welded the rear body mounts to the chassis. Took about four hours with an air chisel, cut off wheel and sawzall to get them apart. I took some pics of the carnage as well as the areas that will need repair. Fortunately, I have all the metal except the driver's side rear quarter. I am debating buying a new factory '68 and later panel or trying to patch up a '67 panel, if I can find one.

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2008, 23:45:57 pm »

Louis Brooks

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: