The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 01:29:39 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  teach us how to play guitar thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: teach us how to play guitar thread  (Read 10323 times)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 04:02:21 am »

If you guys dig that "relic" stuff, check out:

http://www.jeffsennguitars.com/

Mike H.

Sven was right.
ESH

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 23:25:16 pm »

There's some lovely stuff on there. I have been dabbliing with guitars for 26 years or so but mainly only as an excuse to have a couple of the things about the place. Back in the early 90s my then girlfriend introduced me to a guy she knew as I had a Gibson and this bloke had loads of cool guitars having been a session musician but who was mostly retired. As we got talking it became apparent that this guy had pretty much the A-Z of the all time greats most of which he' picked up here and there when they were just battered 'old' guitars. The old 'pawn shop' type scenarios. I asked him about a couple of the guitars he mentioned and he obviously liked them but didn't sound too crazy about them and then started talking about his favourite guitar, a big old jazzer.

He lived above a shop he ran and this was just down the road from the pub we were in so he took me over to see it and having pulled a case out of the cupboard and having asked if I had a belt on handed me this 1943 Gibson. When you touched the strings it just rang, the most incredible action and tone I have ever experienced by a long way. I didn't fancy hammering out some Mudhoney or Dinosaur Jr on it as the action really wasn't geared for that sand I felt a little outclassed by it so I just played a few open chords with one hand and all I can say is I will never forget what was probably just 30 or so seconds with that thing. I handed it back over to him pretty quickly. It was immaculate barring a small cigarrette burn on the scratch plate which it had had since he had got it in the 50's. The guitar had been borrowed for an early Unplugged by a friend of it's owner who was playing 'inside left' on the program and subsequently the star of the show offered him a huge amount of money for it, six figures and a lot more money than the shop was worth but it wasn't for sale and I can understand why. We went back up to the pub bit, and then a few of us ended back at this place hammered and played about with some of the 50's and 60's Gibson and Fender 'firewood' that was lying around.

Selling all of mine would probably not pay for any of the guitars that guy had!

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 13:55:33 pm »

Cool story!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Neil Davies

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 17:21:13 pm »

Awesome story Mat!

Heres a couple of mine - Excuse the crappy picture from my old phone!

80's Jap Fender body and electrics on the red one, with a Chinese large headstock neck and correct decal. Really heavy body, getting on for Les Paul weight! The other one is a cheapy Hendrix/Zappa inspired one built out of bits. I bought a load of old aged gold hardware off ebay, then picked up some Fender USA pickups, and was thinking of putting them in the red guitar. But then I got the cheapo sunburst body and the tortoiseshell pickguard and had a plan - Dweezil Zappa had a strat that used to belong to Jimi Hendrix and later to Frank Zappa, and I'd seen it on a documentary for the 40th aniversary of the stratocaster and always loved it. I realised that short of the lefty maple neck I'd got all the bits! So, The body got attacked with a blowtorch, cigarette lighter, screwdrivers, and best of all, a 50p piece! I need to shim the neck up a bit, but apart from that it's a cool little thing and just nice to have in the corner of the room!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2009, 17:47:47 pm »

You guys don't even know Rory Gallagher.

Huh

Done ? Not Yet.
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 18:44:01 pm »

That was a cool ending to the SCC weekend..

Perhaps we should hire him to do the concert this year  Grin

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

lawrence

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 02:10:14 am »

There's some lovely stuff on there. I have been dabbliing with guitars for 26 years or so but mainly only as an excuse to have a couple of the things about the place. Back in the early 90s my then girlfriend introduced me to a guy she knew as I had a Gibson and this bloke had loads of cool guitars having been a session musician but who was mostly retired. As we got talking it became apparent that this guy had pretty much the A-Z of the all time greats most of which he' picked up here and there when they were just battered 'old' guitars. The old 'pawn shop' type scenarios. I asked him about a couple of the guitars he mentioned and he obviously liked them but didn't sound too crazy about them and then started talking about his favourite guitar, a big old jazzer.

He lived above a shop he ran and this was just down the road from the pub we were in so he took me over to see it and having pulled a case out of the cupboard and having asked if I had a belt on handed me this 1943 Gibson. When you touched the strings it just rang, the most incredible action and tone I have ever experienced by a long way. I didn't fancy hammering out some Mudhoney or Dinosaur Jr on it as the action really wasn't geared for that sand I felt a little outclassed by it so I just played a few open chords with one hand and all I can say is I will never forget what was probably just 30 or so seconds with that thing. I handed it back over to him pretty quickly. It was immaculate barring a small cigarrette burn on the scratch plate which it had had since he had got it in the 50's. The guitar had been borrowed for an early Unplugged by a friend of it's owner who was playing 'inside left' on the program and subsequently the star of the show offered him a huge amount of money for it, six figures and a lot more money than the shop was worth but it wasn't for sale and I can understand why. We went back up to the pub bit, and then a few of us ended back at this place hammered and played about with some of the 50's and 60's Gibson and Fender 'firewood' that was lying around.

Selling all of mine would probably not pay for any of the guitars that guy had!

So, you held the "leadbelly" guitar that Kurt Cobain refers to in the Nirvana unplugged album. That's crazy!! Cool story!!

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
ESH

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2009, 11:12:45 am »

So, you held the "leadbelly" guitar that Kurt Cobain refers to in the Nirvana unplugged album. That's crazy!! Cool story!!

Now that would be quite something! This was from an earlier Unplugged and had no provenance in terms of its ownership at that time. If the "Leadbelly" made the half a million dollar asking price that Kurt mentioned then it was worth a little more than the offer made on the '43. It was still huge money though and above the book value for the guitar but it was an absolute gem.

Smiley
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 15:13:17 pm »

i'd exchange a kidney for this one, a 1967 (yup!) Gibson Trini Lopez:

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: