The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:00:56 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Engine Detailing Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Engine Detailing Thread  (Read 58574 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: September 12, 2008, 16:53:24 pm »

Ok, after the short discussion with DKK Fred on the Keep on Buggin' post.... instead of turning their post into another topic I thought we could get a discussion going here.

DKK Fred (Mark), you seem to have a great eye and mind for the little details that make the big difference. How about some thoughts from you about your ideas and how you think of stuff. Like I was saying, your engine compartment on the orange '66 sure looked tidy. Same with your current '67 engine.

Bill Schwimmer has always had good looking engines in the ragtop too. I remember his 1776 42DCNF motor was one of the best looking and cleanest engines I had ever seen. And of course his big IDA motor has looked good for over 15+ years.

Another few of my other favorites, from pics or from seeing them in person....

John Dean's DUMPER 1776cc 48IDA motor.... one of the tidiest 48IDA motors I can remember. Only seen a few pictures of it. The glossy black 36hp shorud, Tayco linkage, polished manifolds, aluminum firewall cover and polished small crank pulley all look nice
together.

Gary Berg's 2110cc from his old Berglar, when Gary owned it. The way a high HP street motor would look if VW made it. All business...

Danny Gab's 2164cc from the black Ghia, the one off shroud, and linkage, 48IDAs, Vertex...

Jim Kurlinski's 90.5x86mm (whatever cc that is) in his java green '67. I remember this car blew my brains right out of my skull first time I saw it in 1991, at Jamboree. Imagine a stock looking java '67, I mean stock ... then just add real BRM mags, and a super clean 48IDA motor with all the best stuff, and a huge turbo muffler under the LH rear fender. Only those that know will know....

And of course the Pepco motor in Galassi's ragtop. No other motor makes guys scratch their heads wondering "WTF?" than Dave's little huffer motor....

I've always strived to try to get my engine to look half as good as these guys' motors...  paying attention to  wiring, hardware, routing of fuel hoses... etc.

What else? One thing's for sure...  to me those over-the-top engine compartments... polished cases, anodized stuff, billet stuff, chromed tin... they look just plain goofy to me. A hp engine should look all business. What are your ideas and thoughts?
Thanks guys....
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 16:59:07 pm »

Mark your motor pictured here has to be one of the best looking VW motors I've seen pictures of. Even without Weber 48's.  Cool

Thank you, Jim. Believe it or not, the only chrome on that engine was the generator nut and keeper. Everything else was polished. I hated engine chrome then, and detest it even more, now.  I had access to bead and sand blasters at the local VW shops, back then. So anything that went on my car was blasted down to bare metal. In that pic, the decklid spring is raw and unfinished. Every Bug-In, I'd do something different to the car. Change wheels, pull the engine and paint it differently, etc. One year, just to mess with everyone, I sand blasted various engine parts. Like the generator backing plate and many other components. And I left 'em that way, just for that show. A few people noticed it and commented on it. HAHA!! The next year, I built another engine from scratch (see other thread) and kept the coil sand blasted, but this time... I clear coated it and used an N.O.S. Bosch 6v sticker. That was my favorite feature. It's in the pic that you posted. It turned out like a semi-metallic look under the clear. I was really proud of that tiny detail. Another thing was I had a nice set of Type 3 spark plug wire ends on my dist. cap. I'd love to find another set of those for my '67.

The paint that my friend/roommate, Joe, and I used on our tin was AWESOME! Handyman (ancient hardware stores from the old days) used to carry their own line of spray paint that was oil based. So we bought a ton of gloss black because if you knew how to lay down paint... it would look like it was powdercoated or painted by a pro. Too bad that oil based spray paint is long since gone from the market. Since I had years of painting experience dating back to my bikes as a kid, and later... hanging out at the old body shops in Bellflower, I could do wonders with that Handyman paint. I really miss that stuff. I still have a 16" Schwinn Sting-Ray bike that I painted with that same batch of paint. I built the bike to fit in my orange '66 so I had something to ride on while at O.C.I.R. and other VW events. Built it in 1982 and still ride around town. Even has an Al Martinez Body & Paint sticker! I'll post pics of it on my thread.

One thing's for sure...  to me those over-the-top engine compartments... polished cases, anodized stuff, billet stuff, chromed tin... they look just plain goofy to me. A hp engine should look all business. What are your ideas and thoughts?

VERY cool thread idea, Jim. I'll move that stuff on Dave's thread over here. But I've always shared the same thoughts regarding engines in any type of car as you do. Nice to see that I'm not alone. Wait till my friend, Patrick, is done with his turbo '67. He's like me... hates chrome. In fact, so much, that he's not gonna have ANY chrome on the car. But anyway... back on topic.

Brian Plummer's engine is great. Love how he and Danny put that time in on the fan shroud. Subtle and very cool. I'll post some other engine pics on here, too. I gotta dig 'em up.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 17:01:55 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 17:01:27 pm »

Right on, Mark. I had some great pics of Bill's car/engine from 1990 or so, DKK Rick M. has them.... maybe if he comes back 'round he can post them for us?

Rennsurfer

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 17:02:49 pm »

Right on, Mark. I had some great pics of Bill's car/engine from 1990 or so, DKK Rick M. has them.... maybe if he comes back 'round he can post them for us?

Cool! Spoke to Rick, yesterday, on the phone. I'm sure he'll be into that.

I remember that oil based paint from Handyman. I used it on bikes and Hot Wheels. The cartoon guy with the H body

You're the first person, in years, that remembers that paint.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 17:05:23 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rennsurfer

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 17:15:20 pm »

Speaking of all business engines... my favorite aspect on Rick Sadler's '67 is what's under the decklid.

Stephan's also fits the bill.

My all-time favorite convertible late model, ever. Don Metz's engine was also another of my fave's. When he built this car in the early '80s, I was very impressed how he went in another direction than the masses. Left it clean, simple, and very factory looking. The only thing I'd change is lose the chrome gen. backing plate. and any other chrome.

A recent shot of Scwhimmer's engine that I took at Cars & Coffee. Can't leave out Bill's car.

Tim Allen's car at Bug-In 33. VERY impressive car. Lot's of subtle detailing throughout.

Laugh all that you want... but this is the best looking VW air-cooled engine I've ever seen. On the way to the parking lot, at Bug-In 33, as we were leaving... my best friend, Bob, and my girlfriend were waiting for me to stop gawking at it. The owner thought I was gonna kidnap it and leave. HAHA!! It's a work of art, in my opinion. It's how my 1915cc will hopefully turn out.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 17:24:03 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 17:22:38 pm »

Sarge's 2.0 liter too.... though I do not have a picture handy right now. Another good looking motor can be found in Dave Rhoads green '64!
(there was a copy of a magazine picture here somewhere recently, I think).
See, I grew up in North Calif, where it seems the VW scene was way different than Southern Calif. Khrome was King, function was flop. Most VW's up north were ratty stock 1600's smothered in cheap chrome tin and tacky bolt on crap. My maiden voyage to OC in 1990 to see Gary Berg's '67 at Jamboree sure opened my eyes as far as how engines should look.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 17:44:57 pm »

Darrell's car is AWESOME. I love how simple the engine is, too.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:19:01 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 17:54:36 pm »

All good choices so far.  But there's an important and seldom discussed aspect of engine compartment detailing:

How do you get your pretty engine back into the engine compartment without screwing it up?  Just go real slow?  That's not easy!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 17:56:55 pm »

All good choices so far.  But there's an important and seldom discussed aspect of engine compartment detailing:

How do you get your pretty engine back into the engine compartment without screwing it up?  Just go real slow?  That's not easy!

I use blue tape and terry cloth bath towels as I jack motor up into the car. I usually scratch stuff when removing/installing carbs.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 17:57:00 pm »

I've never had a problem with getting a detailed engine back in the car. Most of the time, I leave off the shroud or anything else that can be damaged/scratched till after the engine is bolted up to the transmission. Sounds lame, but haven't scratched anything so far. To each their own.

~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 18:02:08 pm »

Yeah, mostly common-sense stuff sounds like.  Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions, just trying to promote conversation about simple, yet important stuff we never get to hear about.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 18:29:59 pm »

One of my favorite engines. With the black on black paint all you really see are the carbs and block.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 18:32:28 pm »

I'm doing it the "virgin" way as well. First mate block to tranny, and start building her up. Guess what, still scratches. Wink
But i love to take a whole day or two just to do sparkleads, tie-wraps (hidden), oil/breather lines, touch-up, clean etc.
With some good tunes this is my favourite part, it's like putting your heart in that engine for the second time.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 18:36:31 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 18:39:11 pm »

WOW! That black Oval is all business and very mean lookin'. I love it.

Harry, I agree... just put on some good tunes, take your time, and have fun. The rewards when you fire it up and drive it are priceless.

This sucks... I know that I have a picture of Brian Plummer's white '67 engine from Bug-In 33 that I took. Can't find it. But it's in the August '08 issue of Ultra VW magazine. Stephan did a great article and pics. The engine picture RULES. Nothing like a set of Darth Vader black 48IDA carbs. One of the best engines I've seen.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 19:10:49 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
lawrence

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 19:39:07 pm »

Many nice engines here motivating me to get mine back in the car and make a few small changes while its out.

Isn't there a household chemical that will remove anodizing from AN fittings? Oven cleaner or something?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 19:42:43 pm by lawrence » Logged

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 19:47:45 pm »

Many nice engines here motivating me to get mine back in the car and make a few small changes while its out.

Isn't there a household chemical that will remove anodizing from AN fittings? Oven cleaner or something?

Easy-Off Oven Cleaner works the best! I've using that trick since the late '70s. Use it on anything that's anodized. Be advised that the metal will be left dark and raw. It polishes up very easily with Mother's, Blue Magic, Simichrome, or any other good metal polish. Recently, I built a bait rod and sabiki (for catching small bait fish) rig and when I got the rod from a friend, I liked it but couldn't stand the gold anodized components where the reel attaches. So, I sprayed it with Easy-Off... waited a minute or two... wiped it off... polished it with some Mother's and it looks like polished aluminum, now. WAY easier on the eyes.

Used to do the same thing when I raced BMX (dirt bikes) back in the late '70s. Remove all the coloring from my rims, brake calipers, handlebar stems, seatpost clamps, brake handles, etc. My race bikes were all polished nickel (frame/forks/handlebars) and the alloy stuff was polished. The only black was the brake cable housing, grips, tires, and seat. Made for a very plain but cool look.

Same thing can be done to stainless steel braided hose fittings in an engine compartment. I've detailed many peoples' engines doing that. Looks SO much better than the colored stuff. If you don't want to deal with the constant polishing, you can always put a coat of satin clear over it, too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 19:59:29 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
lawrence

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 19:57:58 pm »

Thanks for the tip. Keep up the good work, Mark. Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 20:01:09 pm »

This was how I originally built mine I loved the clean and simple look. Pure old school here.

Later I went with MSD and changed fuel system as well as polishing and powdercoating a few things it looks good to me like this too but at times I miss the old rendition.

Well I guess some will say I ruined a good thing but it sure runs as good as it looks.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 20:39:34 pm by Jason Foster » Logged

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 20:02:34 pm »

Wonder is that will work for rims too. I want to strip the clear finish off my gasburner replicas and re-polish them.

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 20:04:02 pm »

Doug Mische has another great looking engine. I really like the carb treatment.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Jim Ratto

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 20:17:11 pm »

I hope Danny Gabbard can take a break from being Mr. Al Borland Home Improvement and tell us a thing or two here.
jick

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 20:42:16 pm »

i'm currently detailing my engine parts.....i'm going for  totally black & gold anodised.  sorry Fred! Wink

just want to do something a little different and besides.....it matches my cat

going for solid fuel lines in gold ano,  gloss black magneto and gold clamp. pretty much everything else gloss black.

we'll see how it turns out.....

Rennsurfer

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 21:42:56 pm »

Don't be sorry... I enjoy seeing different engines. For me, personally, I prefer plain. Sounds like your engine will match the brindle fur color on your cat. Don't let Keith see that picture... I don't think he digs kitties.

Grin

Jason, love the picture of the engine in the house. GOOD stuff! Like Frenchy... he understands the concept of having cars in the house. I'm entertaining the idea of moving my '67 into part of the house. Soon as I save up some money... it's on.

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 21:43:59 pm »

two colors needed for engines. Black and Grey.  Cool
Harry/FDK

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 21:50:08 pm »

i'm currently detailing my engine parts.....i'm going for  totally black & gold anodised.  sorry Fred! Wink

just want to do something a little different and besides.....it matches my cat

going for solid fuel lines in gold ano,  gloss black magneto and gold clamp. pretty much everything else gloss black.

we'll see how it turns out.....

Cat's Name ?? My Sam is checking it's first IDA inlets as well.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 21:53:51 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 21:51:29 pm »

Jason, love the picture of the engine in the house.

that's how i'd love to build my engine too!
but i don't think my girlfriend would agree to have it inside  Cheesy

as far as engine detailing, IMHO wiring is key!! therefore i have one question... where can i get something like this:

(preferably click-on)

i'd like to have it as 70ies as possible!! clean looks, generator, tayco linkage. i love looking at frenchy's ghia engine:

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Harry/FDK

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 21:56:54 pm »

WTF you mean "have it inside"....
"It" is an insult already Died

Done ? Not Yet.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 21:57:07 pm »

as far as engine detailing, IMHO wiring is key!! therefore i have one question... where can i get something like this:

The terminal block? You can buy those anywhere in the States. Mostly electric supply houses. Either with or without the fuse links.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 05:24:40 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
jick

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 22:02:31 pm »

hi there Harry....how's things?

its coco the cat. Wink

Harry/FDK

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 22:07:47 pm »

Well Coco Rocks !!

Done ? Not Yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: