The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:01:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The engine access window
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The engine access window  (Read 25935 times)
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 15:46:24 pm »

Thinking back on it, the main reason I had access windows on my '63 was to make room for the accerator pump rods on the Solex 40P11-4's and to get to the main jet holders (a huge pain in the ass without windows).... plus, having to deal with short manifolds.

Shit... I didn't think of that. I'll be sporting 40p11's on short EMPI manifolds soon and there is no way I'm going to cut my car... Hmmm...

No pain, no gain ...  Wink

I *might* drill holes just large enough to get a screwdriver in to remove the jets, but THATS IT! Windows will NOT happen.

Will I need windows with 40IDF carbs and Berg IDF manifolds?

http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_291_2873&products_id=994&osCsid=87668ac46f27c763293632ee4dce0b75

I don't want to cut my car too  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 15:50:35 pm by Nico86 » Logged

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 17:15:33 pm »

Thinking back on it, the main reason I had access windows on my '63 was to make room for the accerator pump rods on the Solex 40P11-4's and to get to the main jet holders (a huge pain in the ass without windows).... plus, having to deal with short manifolds.

Shit... I didn't think of that. I'll be sporting 40p11's on short EMPI manifolds soon and there is no way I'm going to cut my car... Hmmm...

I used to think that until I saw Danny's Weber windows.

The quality of the windows has nothing to do with my decision... my car told me it didn't want them, and we know who wears the pants in this relationship Roll Eyes Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
marc1951

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 20:25:53 pm »

[/quote]

Will I need windows with 40IDF carbs and Berg IDF manifolds?

http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=8_291_2873&products_id=994&osCsid=87668ac46f27c763293632ee4dce0b75

I don't want to cut my car too  Embarrassed
[/quote]

I think you just answered your own question.
If you don't want to cut up your car.............don't.

Manifolds, sparkplugs, jets...it's all possible to do without windows. Windows just makes it easier.
None of my cars before, had them and I've mostly run the short manifolds....and even with 13mm nuts on a few. I just modified some old wrenches, bent them, cut them, whatever and figured out a strategy.
Sometimes it was not putting the motor all the way in until I got the manifolds on, or just started the nuts  so I could wiggle the manifolds a little, etc.

Even with windows, it can be a challenge. I still had to modify a wrench for the manifold nuts and now I use the 10mm ones.

Marc

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 20:32:22 pm »

Mark I am with you. I have a customer's 67 at home and I have build a 2276 cc for the car and the owner before him butchered the side panels in the engine compartment with no door. I am now having to make them so that it will look better than I have to work with. The carburetor we are using are 44 Webbers and no room to do anything. I will be posting pictures tomorrow to show what the previous owner did.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
neil68

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2011, 20:33:42 pm »

For those who would rather not cut their Beetle engine bay, here's my method:  I simply leave off the front breast plate that goes over top of the "engine-to-trans" joint.  This allows me to reach in from the front (laying under the car) to access the cylinder #1/3 spark plugs and manifold nuts.  I'm running a stock FI doghouse shroud and IDA's on Scat manifolds.

Since I don't drive in the mud or snow very much, there's no issue with dirt getting into the engine bay.  I also have installed the breast plate afterwards (even had a two-piece tin for a while), but mostly I just leave it out.  This also gives some extra air into the engine bay for the carbs and fan...

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
youngnstudly

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 06:36:15 am »

I have some windows that I am getting ready to install in my car and I made the opening large enough to get my hand through, but I also made the opening an irregular shape in hopes of keeping/adding structural integrity to the rear fenderwells. My "base plate" is 1/8" thick steel and my removable door is made from 1/8" thick aluminum...it's actually a scope design but I still need to figure out how to mount a standard air filter section into the removable door and make a removable cover for the scoop's opening. I don't want rain and crap getting into the engine compartment in the winter time. The border of the steel "frame" is over 1-1/4" wide and the bottom part is over 1-5/8" tall so it should be strong. My dad has always complains at the shows about the "idiots" that butcher up VW's just to make them fast, and how "they" always remove material from the wrong portions of the car (making it structurally unsafe in the event of a collison)...But dear old Dad is a collison, paint, and bodyman, and has never had a 13 second Volkswagen with 48mm IDF Webers on it Wink. So, while I understand and agree with his logic, I also like being able to work on my car with great ease. I think it's possible to have the best of both worlds, and once my frames are fully welded in place and everything is seam sealed/undercoated, you won't even notice the windows are there. Inside the engine compartment I am going to install factory style firewall insulation side panels and undercoat inside that area as well.

Here is the passenger side-I still need to weld the flanged nuts in place and make a 1/8" gasket to go between the door and frame.

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 06:53:18 am »

Now THOSE are some cool windows. And they're welded in. Makes sense and can't wait to see them installed with the factory firewall material. This is the first side window concept that sounds good.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:54:49 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Ron Greiner

DKP II

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 02:39:04 am »

Neil, if you leave the firewall plate off, the engine will run hot, the engine bay is supposed to be closed to prevent hot air from reentering the bay
neil68

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 05:36:21 am »

Neil, if you leave the firewall plate off, the engine will run hot, the engine bay is supposed to be closed to prevent hot air from reentering the bay

I understand this theory, and I guess it's possible if I was sitting in gridlocked traffic on a hot day, it might become an issue.  My thinking is that most of the hot air exits the "rear" while the Beetle is in motion, and doesn't/can't come to the front and over the transmission/engine area.  If it was my daily commuter, then I would probably put the tin back on...I have both a one piece and two piece tin at my disposal just for that purpose...

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle, 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 172 KM/H (107.5 MPH)
Dynojet Test:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2011, 06:54:47 am »

I understand this theory, and I guess it's possible if I was sitting in gridlocked traffic on a hot day, it might become an issue.  My thinking is that most of the hot air exits the "rear" while the Beetle is in motion, and doesn't/can't come to the front and over the transmission/engine area.  If it was my daily commuter, then I would probably put the tin back on...I have both a one piece and two piece tin at my disposal just for that purpose...

With the carbs and fan going, it's gonna make a vacuum in the engine compartment and its gonna pull air from the path of least resistance.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
low oval
DKK

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2011, 02:43:47 am »

Danny did the install this past weekend, then I painted them.

can't wait to have a reason to open up those puppies.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
bugnut68

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2011, 17:29:37 pm »

I'm in the process of making my own windows... nothing particularly fancy, but then there's nothing particularly fancy about the '70 I'm working on. Grin  This is kind of a project car in which I'm learning multiple skills and techniques.  If I wanted it perfect (and could afford it) I'd be paying someone else to do the work...I'm running 44IDF Webers on my 2017cc build with tall manifolds (CB, I believe, got them from Steve and greg Tims with my heads).
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 04:48:51 am »

Danny did the install this past weekend, then I painted them.

can't wait to have a reason to open up those puppies.

SAWEEEEEEEEET Jimmy!  Nice job Danny.  Was there any beer lstill in your fridge after Danny left?  I sure hope not!!  Jealous:  I want Danny to come to MY house.  He will have to drink Jamesons instead of that generic Jack stuff...  Friday at Nicks....."hide the cooler Danny"

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
youngnstudly

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 05:57:42 am »

I'm in the process of making my own windows... nothing particularly fancy, but then there's nothing particularly fancy about the '70 I'm working on. Grin  This is kind of a project car in which I'm learning multiple skills and techniques.  If I wanted it perfect (and could afford it) I'd be paying someone else to do the work...I'm running 44IDF Webers on my 2017cc build with tall manifolds (CB, I believe, got them from Steve and greg Tims with my heads).

Perfect time to put new seals in and undercoat that engine compartment! How are you planning to fasten your cover plates over the windows you cut out? Nothing wrong with doing your own work and not getting "show car" results (but learning and having fun in the process). You'll be glad you installed the windows with those tall straight manifolds. Those are the same ones I run (and you might need to get tapered air filters...or chop one filter down so the right side air cleaner won't hit the decklid).  See why I decided on Weber windows? Changing idle jets was DAMN NEAR impossible with this setup! Hopefully I will get to weld my window frames in this weekend and properly finish the engine compartment this time around.

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
low oval
DKK

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 06:12:32 am »

Scott,
Danny left when the beer was gone.  Likewise when the cops showed up the next night.  I didn't know he could move so quickly, must have been those shoes he was wearing.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Fiatdude

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 07:49:30 am »

Zach -- -- com'on and grow a pair and take charge of that relationship j/k -- with the right size 'window' you can even do this without pulling the engine

Did I just hear Frenchy have a conniption fit -- sorry Frenchy I should of warned ya of the debauchery that was to be presented

H
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 07:54:05 am by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
bugnut68

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 16:47:08 pm »

Perfect time to put new seals in and undercoat that engine compartment! How are you planning to fasten your cover plates over the windows you cut out? Nothing wrong with doing your own work and not getting "show car" results (but learning and having fun in the process). You'll be glad you installed the windows with those tall straight manifolds. Those are the same ones I run (and you might need to get tapered air filters...or chop one filter down so the right side air cleaner won't hit the decklid).  See why I decided on Weber windows? Changing idle jets was DAMN NEAR impossible with this setup! Hopefully I will get to weld my window frames in this weekend and properly finish the engine compartment this time around.

Andy

You read my mind...lol.  Yeah, I fully plan on installing new engine bay seals and also wirewheeling the engine bay and cleaning everything up before coating it or primering it to start with.  My first goal is to get this engine in and some miles on it during this season/summer and then go back and work on the car a bit more in the fall/over the winter.  I'm thinking I may tack weld some machine screws in place and use wing nuts to fasten the covers in place for ease and convenience.
youngnstudly

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 19:20:48 pm »

Very cool! I always liked seeing less than perfect cars at the shows with fully detailed engine compartments, interiors, trunks, etc. It shows the owner is genuinely concerned with their car, but they are on a budget (or simply don't want a nice car for a daily driver). You might think about welding some type of nut to the car instead of a stud or screw. Everytime you pull the covers off to get to your carbs, you chance messing up the threads...Just a thought. It probably doesn't matter either way and it would be nice to have wing nuts holding the doors on.  One could argue that the flange nuts I am using could just as easily strip out.  Sounds like you have a plan. If you have good factory paint that isn't rusty, you can use that as your base and skip priming before you undercoat (if you plan to). You can "feather in" new undercoating to match the original undercoating on the wheel well side of the body too (although I don't most of the time). The problem there is you really have to scrub and clean the original undercoating WELL or the new stuff won't stick. Depends on how much welding you'll be doing in that area and how much old undercoating  you want to strip off! That stuff can be a pain to get off. Roll Eyes

Andy

bugnut68

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 20:02:21 pm »

Cool tips to keep in mind... most of my undercoating is flaking off pretty easily...lol.  Amazingly as long as this car sat in a really wet environment, the fenderwells are really clean/solid.  No rot or rust at all... My initial thought was to use JB Weld to fasten the nuts or screws in the fender well, for a slightly less permanent solution as I plan on making changes/cleaning things up once the car is ready for a paint job (that will be a while... its' all I call do to build an engine right now lol).
Donny B.

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 21:17:12 pm »

I used a single butterfly dzus fastener on my car.  My windows are small just large enough to get at what I need and no more.  They have a tab that fits into the engine compartment and the a dzus fastener at the top and its sealed with self adhesive weather stripping.  It is simple and it works.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
brian e

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2011, 22:58:58 pm »

I am working on getting my '68 ready for paint and decided I should add some windows while the car is apart.  I combined a few different ideas from this post.  They slide in and out real easy, and are held in with one dzus button.  With the curve in the panel, and the step rolled edge they fit real tight. I wanted to be able to get them on/off without having to get into the fender well.  I made two pairs so I can keep one set nice, and use the other for daily driving.  The pics were before I cleaned up the edges and corners and added the dzus spring

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2011, 03:43:31 am »

I *might* drill holes just large enough to get a screwdriver in to remove the jets, but THATS IT! Windows will NOT happen.

Did I say that?? Roll Eyes

40P11's do not belong in a Beetle's engine compartment. Next time my carbs are off, it's getting windows. #2 mixture screw is completely inaccessible. And those lovely accelerator pump rods... I haven't figured out a way to get the clearance I need without a big hole leading to the wheelhouse Undecided

They sure sound great though Smiley

Rennsurfer

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2011, 04:26:06 am »

40P11's do not belong in a Beetle's engine compartment.

HA! That's funny. Some great engines have been built, using those carbs. Not the easiest ones to deal with, sure, but very cool sounding and running when dialed in.

~Sarge
Wink's1966

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45:03 am »

I have supper flow heads and 44idfs and i "was not cutting" the car till i got it together their was no way around it  Cry... i want dannys windows when the cash allows  Roll Eyes.... what i did for now is i have a 1 1/2 metal punch and put 2 holes on each side for all my adjustment access and then drilled 2 holes just big enough to access my idle jets.... i figured i could get some of those lil rubber plugs and plug em all  Shocked..... but once said and done and im in their tunning all im thinking is how awesome it would be to have dannys windows and be able to access my plugs and everything  Cool.... i swear its like all you guys where in my head  Wink lol

and leaving any tin off is never an option i feel like a douche even running all the empi crap chrome till i can find a near mint factory set.... i can spot out any oil fast thou with the chrome its nice to track down small leaks.... its amazing where that fan can take the oil when its spinning at 5500 rpm  Grin

YouTube "Wink's 1966"
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2011, 06:32:57 am »

40P11's do not belong in a Beetle's engine compartment.

HA! That's funny. Some great engines have been built, using those carbs. Not the easiest ones to deal with, sure, but very cool sounding and running when dialed in.

I have no doubt of their capabilities, that's why I chose them. But I wouldn't do it again unless it's in a Bus or Ghia.

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 22:54:03 pm »

I've come to terms with the fact that I need doors for my 40p11's, but what about the accelerator pump rods? I had to drill 1" holes on each side of the engine compartment for them, but I'm not thrilled that they lead directly into the wheel house. 

What did the guys do back in the day to solve this?

Rennsurfer

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2011, 00:36:56 am »

I've come to terms with the fact that I need doors for my 40p11's, but what about the accelerator pump rods? I had to drill 1" holes on each side of the engine compartment for them, but I'm not thrilled that they lead directly into the wheel house. 

I'm pretty sure on the earlier cars, that's exactly what people did. I'll call my ex-roommate and fellow club member... he ran 'em on his '60.

~Sarge
Taylor

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2011, 03:17:29 am »

you should have made them oval and used '67 apron latch cups.  I know how you like to use factory parts!  Grin
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2011, 03:55:55 am »

you should have made them oval and used '67 apron latch cups.  I know how you like to use factory parts!  Grin

That's the kind of answer I was looking for!! I had the solution pictured in my mind, but forgot about the rubber latch cups. Those will work perfectly!

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 04:23:34 am »

X2... Great Idea Taylor

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: