The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 23:02:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The engine access window
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The engine access window  (Read 25626 times)
banditina

« on: March 30, 2009, 01:48:58 am »

hi...
i have a 1963 vw bug and i have many doubts if the engine access windows are necessary or not.
i have a 1776cc with ida48, the window is necessary?
for me the windows are not nice to see...
please help me for the right decision... photoes with engine up, please...
very tnx...
 Roll Eyes

Sarge

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 02:26:30 am »

It all boils down to the fan shroud and manifolds you plan to use.... tall manifolds and a 36hp or early round 40hp shroud; no windows.  Short manifolds, big shroud; I'd do the windows for sure.

DKP III
banditina

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 02:48:52 am »

tnx SARGE... .... no windows...Huh Huh Huh Huh
i use this manifolds and this fan shroud

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 03:02:28 am by banditina » Logged

Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:59:01 am »

Pretty parts. Grin
banditina

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:32:24 pm »

Huh Roll Eyes.. tnx .... up.... Huh

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 12:53:40 pm »

I would say you don't need the windows..

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 14:11:00 pm »

I am looking at a set of these now. Trying to decide if I should fab up a set of my own or just order these.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 14:21:15 pm »

I would say you don't need the windows..

Agreed!

DKP III
Sam K

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 14:52:26 pm »

For my '678 street car, I sort of wish it had windows sometimes, but I don't want to cut up the car so I can get by without them. On my '63 that wil be a race car though, I will probably put windows in it because I expect to spend a bit of time taking plugs readings and doing a lot more tuning in general.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 19:29:04 pm »

Huh Roll Eyes.. tnx .... up.... Huh

Hi, sorry, I was just saying your parts look good.  Smiley

On the windows, I don't think you need them. I don't use them in my car, though I am sure some of the maintenance on my car would be less frustrating with them. I run the 1600d/p 1971- style VW shroud, tall manifolds and IDAs. Yes it is tight getting to carbs, manifold nuts, etc. I have a system I use to do the work, such as changing plugs. It isn't too bad, actually. I have a 12" long 1/4-drive wobble-end Snap On extension I use with a short 10mm(or 3/8") socket for manifold nuts (Berg flanged 8mm x 10mm are the only way to go), very easy to get down from above air stacks and get nuts off. I do remove the carbs to change plugs.... this gives me a chance to check gaskets between heads and manifolds (and replace if need be) and clean and lube accelerator pump cams and rollers on carbs.
If you were running Weber IDFs I woudl say most definitely cut access windows. But IDAs all the jets are accessible from above... they're a piece of cake.
Have fun,
Jim
Donny B.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 19:38:30 pm »

I have the windows on my car, but I have a German doghouse and DCNFs so everything is pretty tight.  I believe that most people make the windows too big.  You just need enough room to get your hand in there and at the spark plug, manifold nut and the back side of the carb.  I think mine are just over 4 inches wide and about 5 inches high.  Just enough to get in there.  The door is held in place with one butterfly dzus fastener.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 19:42:57 pm »

I have the windows on my car, but I have a German doghouse and DCNFs so everything is pretty tight.  I believe that most people make the windows too big.  You just need enough room to get your hand in there and at the spark plug, manifold nut and the back side of the carb.  I think mine are just over 4 inches wide and about 5 inches high.  Just enough to get in there.  The door is held in place with one butterfly dzus fastener.

Don posted some pics of his on the CLF and I like the way they look.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Jim Ratto

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 20:15:10 pm »

A guy that used to come into BH had a cool idea many years ago: He was going to cut a door in the firewall, seperating the rear cabin and the engine compartment, and use an access panel like Type 3 or Vanagon to cover the window. How nice would that be for getting carbs off, sending throttle cable thru shroud, replacing alternator (loosening fan and hub), changing #1 & #3 plugs, getting to plug wires, etc. Not sure if he ever went through with it.

If you think IDA's can be a pain, access wise, try Super Flow heads with original style valve covers in an uncut Type 1. Talk about throwing tools....   Angry
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 20:20:13 pm »

Go for it, it makes life so much easier. Now is the time to make everything neat.
Just imagine that a sparkplug thread gets a little damaged, with the inspection-windows you will have
no problem re-tapping. Even changing plugs, with the windows it gets so much easier.
My 1 cent.

Done ? Not Yet.
Sarge

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 20:45:19 pm »

Thinking back on it, the main reason I had access windows on my '63 was to make room for the accerator pump rods on the Solex 40P11-4's and to get to the main jet holders (a huge pain in the ass without windows).... plus, having to deal with short manifolds.

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 20:52:19 pm »

Thinking back on it, the main reason I had access windows on my '63 was to make room for the accerator pump rods on the Solex 40P11-4's and to get to the main jet holders (a huge pain in the ass without windows).... plus, having to deal with short manifolds.

yeah I can imagine. Looking at where the jets install on those carbs....  Roll Eyes...another reason I said "no way" on Sheep's motor.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 20:53:34 pm »

Hopefully Donny doesnt mind me posting these but here is what he did. Simple and clean. I might do something like this but reinforce the window a with some 1/8 steel like the ones form Hookey's.

--louis

Louis Brooks

Donny B.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 21:09:22 pm »

Thanks Louis!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
bugnut68

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 18:16:15 pm »

Hopefully Donny doesnt mind me posting these but here is what he did. Simple and clean. I might do something like this but reinforce the window a with some 1/8 steel like the ones form Hookey's.

--louis

That's what I've got in mind for my '70...45 DRLAs...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 18:51:57 pm »

Shit... I didn't think of that. I'll be sporting 40p11's on short EMPI manifolds soon and there is no way I'm going to cut my car... Hmmm...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 19:06:07 pm »

Shit... I didn't think of that. I'll be sporting 40p11's on short EMPI manifolds soon and there is no way I'm going to cut my car... Hmmm...

No pain, no gain ...  Wink

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 19:52:16 pm »

No pain, no gain ...  Wink

I *might* drill holes just large enough to get a screwdriver in to remove the jets, but THATS IT! Windows will NOT happen.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 20:25:57 pm »

I used to think that until I saw Danny's Weber windows.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 21:05:59 pm »

I had 'em on my '69 ... but I welded new panels in when we repainted.

I have seen some very nice versions of these done. But the way I see it, I didn't want to have to jack the car up and pull the wheels to access the carbs/plugs ... not on that car.
I guess I do it the hard way and tell myself I enjoy it. Roll Eyes Grin
TxT
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 22:06:48 pm by TexasTom » Logged

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
low oval
DKK

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 21:56:46 pm »

I used to think that until I saw Danny's Weber windows.

Ditto on Danny's windows, got a set for my car as well.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
marc1951

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2011, 06:04:04 am »

I said I would never do this on this car but having a fused wrist (can't bend) makes it impossible to install manifolds or change plugs without the windows.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Reverend Bob did an excellent job creating them

you can see how much access I have now....of course, I have to remove the wheel to get to it.

and the cover on. There are no fasteners showing in the engine compartment

Sorry but I don't have a close up picture handy but you would really have to look hard to see the panel from the engine side. It is almost invisible.

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 06:04:04 am »

Me to !! So simple its ez !!!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2011, 11:08:07 am »

With the right combination of parts there will never be a reason to cut holes. As long as you go with IDA's.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 15:00:47 pm »

Sure makes it nice to change plugs and tighten manifolds down!!!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Solexine

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 15:34:02 pm »

I made this whit Dzus  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: