The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:38:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350804 Posts in 28595 Topics by 6825 Members
Latest Member: vertvolks
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  anyone know who's old DKP car this is?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: anyone know who's old DKP car this is?  (Read 25415 times)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« on: April 07, 2009, 22:54:30 pm »

anyone know who's old DKP car this is? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=768221

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 23:11:43 pm »

That's Phil French's old car.  Looks like the guy he passed it to is moving it along now.

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 00:01:07 am »

Sarge, did the guy that Phil sold it to ever get voted in the club? If not, why does it still have a sticker on the rear window?

Huh

That was grounds for razors in the old days.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 03:10:55 am »

Sarge, did the guy that Phil sold it to ever get voted in the club? If not, why does it still have a sticker on the rear window?

Huh

No.  As for stickers, they mean nothing if the club hasn't accepted you and your car.  Money buys stickers, never membership.  You would be viewed by members as a poseur, too.  I feel this applies to any club, not just DKP.

DKP III
Rennsurfer

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 04:03:30 am »

No.  As for stickers, they mean nothing if the club hasn't accepted you and your car.  Money buys stickers, never membership.  You would be viewed by members as a poseur, too.  I feel this applies to any club, not just DKP.

True on all points. Thanks, Sarge.

~Sarge
guillaume

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:37:49 am »

I have a 70's DKP club rules in my collection. I read it again a few days ago and it says that if you sell you car, you have to remove the stickers, but the one on the rear window can stay.
100% agree with Sarge: if not voted you'll be considered as a poseur...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:54:03 pm »

Huh

True on all points. Thanks, Sarge.

x2

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 13:30:29 pm »

I have a 70's DKP club rules in my collection. I read it again a few days ago and it says that if you sell you car, you have to remove the stickers, but the one on the rear window can stay.

You must have a different edition then mine, Guillaume.... I don't see that anywhere here.  It does say NO GIRLS!!!, though Shocked Grin  While we're at it, here's a scan of the original club binder we kept the meeting notes in...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 13:39:33 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
guillaume

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 14:08:12 pm »

I will check it again. The DKP rules I found is from DKP 2.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 21:42:21 pm »

Seems like a lot of car for the money . As for club stickers in cars previously owned by a member of that club , yes they should be removed .
I have sold two cars with my old club decals DZK " Down Zouth Klub " I was young and didn't realize there was another DZK please forgive me  Wink Roll Eyes  in them  Roll Eyes and it pisses me off every time I see them  Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 21:45:30 pm by 49-rag » Logged

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
johnl

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 22:09:26 pm »

Huh

Huh

Well, I'm sure I'll draw heat for this one, but I don't care.  My '63 sedan that I've owned since 1981 basically in stock form has "original" DKP decals on each rear side window.  They were installed when I restored the car back in '81 and they have and will remain.

If that offends any of you so be it.  I would state that being I was there in the begining and that version of the club dosen't and hasen't existed in years it would not be the same as DKP II or DKP III.  They are run from pride in my earlier years and have nothing to do with what goes on today in the VW club world.

I know of other former members of previous generations that run their decals on cars (not necessarily VW's) and probably do for the same reason as myself.  Personally I applaud them for their heritage.  So with that said bring it on.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 22:16:08 pm »

did this car belong to a guy called JP, was talking to 'JP' at charlie hammills and he described his '67 and DKP membership but i couldn't think which car it was Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 22:19:47 pm »

This is the idiot selling the club constitution copies.
 Roll Eyes Angry
I love the way he says he covered up the picture to prevent copying, but that is exactly what he is selling !
He doesn't own an original.
 Roll Eyes Angry

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=562863
bmxnut65

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 00:19:15 am »

yes the car belonged to PJ and he is building a nice bus.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 00:22:18 am »

Huh

Money buys stickers  I will Take Three for My Collection then?? Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 00:52:37 am »

wonder how much beer has been spilt on that old binder, Sarge....  Roll Eyes... looks like it's been in the hands of some wild dogs that could write... is that a cartoon of you in the military helmet?  Grin

Sarge

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 02:27:42 am »

wonder how much beer has been spilt on that old binder, Sarge....  Roll Eyes... looks like it's been in the hands of some wild dogs that could write... is that a cartoon of you in the military helmet?  Grin

It does have sort of a musty smell to it (the BINDER) now that you mention it.  I think that's supposed to be Ron Fleming in the helmet... the hair and mustache look right.  What about the pic of the monkey with Don Crane written by it?? Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 05:28:32 am »

I noticed the "Foster" by the K   would like to see the insides of it gotta be some good stories there.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 07:35:53 am »

Well, I'm sure I'll draw heat for this one, but I don't care.  My '63 sedan that I've owned since 1981 basically in stock form has "original" DKP decals on each rear side window.  They were installed when I restored the car back in '81 and they have and will remain.

If that offends any of you so be it.  I would state that being I was there in the begining and that version of the club dosen't and hasen't existed in years it would not be the same as DKP II or DKP III.  They are run from pride in my earlier years and have nothing to do with what goes on today in the VW club world.

I know of other former members of previous generations that run their decals on cars (not necessarily VW's) and probably do for the same reason as myself.  Personally I applaud them for their heritage.  So with that said bring it on.

John, there's no problem with any of that. My only thing is... when someone from a club (especially D.K.P.) is selling a club car, the stickers should be removed. That's how I thought it always was. By the way, I love your '63 and think it's very fitting for you to have those stickers on it.

~Sarge
Russell

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 17:45:44 pm »

OH dear........... i really want to keep my mouth shut but cant sorry !

DKP Club Stickers..... I agree if you sell a car to some one as a daily driver or as a show car yes they should be removed in order that they do not misrerpresent the club in anyway, however and its a big however...

If you sell the car to a collector/nutcase (i.e me) whom wants to preserve that car as a memory to the cal look scene and the DKP car club, surley there must be some reasonable grounds for this, when the cars were built and the club first exisited no-one would have guessed that this stickers or the the cars and even the owners would be in print and collectable sometimes even idolised.

I have three cars all which should display stickers, Arnies car, the Keiths chop and Doug's 67, these cars will always be their cars and i am only the key keeper looking after these treasures, IMHO it would be more offensive not to display the oriiginal sticker or even worse use a fake !!! It would be as bad as pretending to be a member of the club.

Maybe as time has moved on and as some of these treasures are collectable the club rules should be reviewed to allow its heritage to be displayed and respected for may years to come, this may also help member whom want to sell there cars allow them to move them on without fear of upsetting the club and destroying and good standing they have within the club.

Dont want to cause any offense but this is my view and if you can see it from where Im standing i hope you will agree its fair.

Best Regards

Russell
lawrence

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 18:56:11 pm »

Ritchie your point is a valid one, but you are on a different mission. It appears that this person is using the cars past club affiliation to drum up attention and it is actually working. This car looks like it is built well and should sell regardless of its prior DKP connection. The stickers should probably be taken off in this case.

I have a question for everyone though. What your opinion of a street car? Please post below. Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
nicolas

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 19:13:07 pm »

Russel you forgot the Flemming car  Roll Eyes

Grin
lofty1971

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 23:07:02 pm »

I see a sale is now pending.

Maybe the new owner will return the sticker to it's rightful owner.......?  Huh

Was it a DKP2 car?

Cheers

Lofty
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 23:31:08 pm »

Enough about the stickers already!! Roll Eyes

Looks like a nice car. Couldn't build it for that much.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Gary Justus

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 23:47:19 pm »

Yes...Maybe the Speedwell stickers I gave Phil 10 years ago should be taken off, too Shocked
The price is really good.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2009, 00:39:28 am »

I disagree... when these car clubs were founded, there were certain rules that you adhered to, or the stickers were removed by another member. Long as there is free speech and no one's getting harmed... yes?  Bottom line; there should be a disclaimer in the ad(s) stating that the club sticker(s) would be removed if the car sells. Plain & simple. Besides, that's giving respect to the club... and rightly so.

Grin

Now THAT, I agree with.

Yes...Maybe the Speedwell stickers I gave Phil 10 years ago should be taken off, too Shocked

Good Lord, you ARE kidding, yes? So much for car club respect.

Next?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 00:41:30 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2009, 00:41:52 am »

I disagree... when these car clubs were founded, there were certain rules that you adhered to, or the stickers were removed by another member. Long as there is free speech and no one's getting harmed... yes?  Bottom line; there should be a disclaimer in the ad(s) stating that the club sticker(s) would be removed if the car sells. Plain & simple. Besides, that's giving respect to the club... and rightly so.

Grin

[

thanks Mark.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2009, 00:52:05 am »

thanks Mark.

No need to thank me, Jim... but you're very welcome. Sorry in advance to the The Lounge and it's members... but I feel very strongly about the car club sticker situation. The person and the car are voted into the club. If a person or car leaves the club, the stickers come off. Doesn't get any more plain. If it's still up for debate, I suggest that we move this over to Off Topic.

~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2009, 01:17:45 am »

I'm just exhausted from this topic, seems to come up all the time. You can only suggest that the stickers be removed, and if the seller thinks they may get more money for a car with them still on, more often than not they will probably stay- they are getting out of the hobby and club scene anyway so what do they care?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2009, 01:55:59 am »

I'm just exhausted from this topic, seems to come up all the time. You can only suggest that the stickers be removed, and if the seller thinks they may get more money for a car with them still on, more often than not they will probably stay- they are getting out of the hobby and club scene anyway so what do they care?

True, I may only suggest. However, when I sold my orange '66, the buyer begged me to leave on the D.K.K. stickers. I laughed and told him, "No, they must come off." I also "suggested" to him, "After you buy the car, attend a few meetings like I did. Show some effort, like I did. And hopefully, you get voted in, like I did." I fail to see how this is an exhausting issue. Furthermore, I also don't see where this comes up "all of the time". In fact, this is probably the first time that I've seen a car for sale on The Samba with those stickers on it and no disclaimer stating that they be removed upon sale of the vehicle. (per the club rules) If a person and their car get voted in. They're in. If someone isn't officially in the club, they're not in. That's pretty gosh darned clear and certain as the sun will set, tonight and rise again in the morning. I crack up at people that come along and decide to change something that they're not a part of. But... to each their own, I surmise.

If you weren't in the Cal Look car clubs from back in the '70s, you most likely won't understand. Which is perfectly fine and acceptable. As for your last question... they very well should care. At least show some respect for the club. That's just plain common decency. I guess that I'm from a different era, thank God, and always honored the club rules when I chose to become a member. Since D.K.P. and D.K.K. had a lot of the same values and club rules, I suppose those stuck me through all of those years.

Case in point; let's say, for giggles, that I decided to sell my blue '67. Either in it's current state or after I had the built transmission and engine put in. Even though my car club has been defunct since 1985, I'd still remove my club stickers. Unless I sold the car to a fellow club member. Then they have the option of doing so. This isn't that hard to fathom. But if anyone wants to further discuss it, let us save The Lounge readers the bandwidth and take it either on private message and/or e-mail.

So... anyone buy this car yet? It's a killer deal.

Grin
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:09:45 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: