The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 20:05:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VW vendors; come and gone
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: VW vendors; come and gone  (Read 26885 times)
kingsburgphil

« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2009, 23:49:37 pm »

That's right Maribeth! I'm sorry for your loss Phil.  Cry

I always enjoyed talking to her when I went into that Beck Arnley store.

When did she work for BAP? I was there from '78 to '88. I started in Santa Ana and then moved to Anaheim.
Thanks for the kind words Rick. We both worked at the Anaheim store in 74-75 approx. She worked for Ron, and later some manager named Phil,
while I worked for Dan back in the shop.

Doe's anyone remember the small VW wrecking yard in Santa Ana on east 1st. street, near the big Excelsior creamery. I had to crawl over the oval parts to get to the newer stuff...silly me!

You're not thinking of Wrecks West? Was it on 1st or 5th? There was a lot of wrecking yards on 5th. I barely remember the Excelsior creamery but I couldn't tell you where it was at.
This place was on the other end of town, maybe a block west of the RR bridge, on the north side of 1st street. The closest cross street was probably Standard st.  Last time I was in santa ana, most of the creamery still stood, a 4 story brick monster that dominated that part of town. You're right about the wrecking yards, what a mess, great place to pick up shrapnel in a tire.   
Dave Galassi

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2009, 14:23:00 pm »

One of my all time favs early on was the Custom House, on Whittier Blvd. in La Habra. My brother bought some chrome dash parts from the guy with the rope tie (JohnL remember his name?), along with a Quick-shift and other doo-dads. Tiny little corner store.... was his logo The Itch Spot? I also used to hang out at Newhouse Speed Shop in Montebello as well. Like Blair's in Pasadena, tons of used speed parts - all worth zillions today.

I spent the bulk of my VW money at Auto Haus (Beach Blvd, and Dale Street), then later on, the Orange store, F&A, and Gene Berg (first location),

I can't speak for the others, but boy did Blair's have the eye candy!  Blown engines on stands, in the store front windows, and always a bevy of cars being worked on (converted to straight axles..................) in the side lot. 
An interesting note, I recently learned from Russ Welch, founder of Russ' VW Recycling, that Blair's had a used car lot, and he was a delivery and wash boy there!  Some great stories about delivering S396 Chevelles to the shop (sideways, down the street........clutch problems, you know) for repairs.  No wonder it didn't last.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2009, 08:24:58 am »

I'm sure JohnL remembers "Stick City" on whittier blvd. I'll bet he has an interesting story about that place. If not there, how about Hiway 39 auto wrecking?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 23:59:25 pm by kingsburgphil » Logged
MYTOY
DKK

« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2009, 00:20:00 am »

WHITTIER?!
C&M BUG HOSPITAL WHITTIER BLVD AKA PAPASONS
dave greiner

« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2009, 02:38:42 am »

Doesn't anybody remember Autopia on main st. in Orange. Owned by one of the Legends in the VW industry!
dave greiner

« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2009, 02:56:41 am »

Autopia was owned by more of the ex-Auto Haus employees. John Lazenby and Mark Melbreath.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2009, 03:56:56 am »

Dave, do you remember the former address of Autopia? I think I'm suffering from dain bramage and CRS.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: