The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 13:24:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  vw 5 speed interest ??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: vw 5 speed interest ??  (Read 22880 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2010, 22:15:43 pm »

I'd be intererested in a box that would give me close 3rd & 4th, but I would keep my 4.37 and .89 4th as 5th. The drop from stock 2nd to stock 3rd can be murder with big cam/heads/carbs and a steep hill.
Donny B.

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2010, 04:29:31 am »

My ratios seem to work pretty well: 3.78, 2.21, 1.58, 1.21, 0.89 with a 4.12 R&P.  I love it...., but what do I know....

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Bruce

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2010, 04:35:22 am »

I'd be intererested in a box that would give me close 3rd & 4th, but I would keep my 4.37 and .89 4th as 5th.
If you had a 5 gear, you could stretch out 5th by using a .82, then fill the gap between 2nd with gears tighter than what you have now.
Udo

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2010, 19:50:40 pm »

Why offer a cheap one ? The Berg 5-speed works well ... Most "affordable" parts end up comming form china and have bad quality. I vote for the Berg 5..

Udo

Donny B.

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2010, 06:15:03 am »

I like Udo.  Oh, and I like his lifters too...!

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
glenn

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2010, 12:24:16 pm »

Better and cheaper is good, but for now i'm happy with my Berg 5. It was one day of pain and 12 years of enjoyment.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2010, 16:57:11 pm »

Don, are you searching for a cheaper alternative to the Berg 5? Or is the Berg 5 not available anymore? What's the reason for this post, exactly? Huh Of course everyone wants a 5 speed...

I'd be intererested in a box that would give me close 3rd & 4th, but I would keep my 4.37 and .89 4th as 5th. The drop from stock 2nd to stock 3rd can be murder with big cam/heads/carbs and a steep hill.

Your engine must hate you Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Donny B.

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2010, 17:36:48 pm »

Zach, I am not searching for a cheaper alternative to the Berg-5.  I am just commenting on what is being said.  My comments about a sequential gearbox is what I have been saying all along.  I like my Berg-5 and the ratios work well for me.  It is paid for so I am off the hook.  It wasn't cheap, but it was a lot cheaper back then.  The kit sold for $749 when I bought it in 1996.  I've had it a few years... 

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2010, 17:44:52 pm »

Oops, that wasn't directed towards you Donny. It was to Dyno Don Wink

Donny B.

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2010, 18:13:16 pm »

Okay fine...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Jim Ratto

« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2010, 18:51:04 pm »

Don, are you searching for a cheaper alternative to the Berg 5? Or is the Berg 5 not available anymore? What's the reason for this post, exactly? Huh Of course everyone wants a 5 speed...

Your engine must hate you Wink

Really Zach? Why do you think my engine hates me?
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2010, 19:47:22 pm »

Just messing with you Wink It does seem that you like to keep the engine up in the revs. More than anyone on this board, I think you need an early 911S! Cool
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 19:49:38 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

axam48ida

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2010, 20:10:28 pm »

Hey Dyno,
 I am with you ......The Five speed is a big asset to the vw community.....the ones that have been fortunate to
have one would agree. If it could be more affordable than the current model available that may allow more vw owners to 
drive there cars more often, which may increase the interest of others to follow.....just a thought
Some of the limiting issues with the exisiting kit or 5 speed are:
basic kit gets you started, but really does not take building a stronger tranny to the next level.
options would be a stronger gear-gear width and alloy, (I have one mainshaft for a five speed with 091 gear width, stronger?)
aftermarket ratios  cost is just like building any other box-not an issue (recently changed the ratios of my five spd in my comuter....I went from a real close ratio box
to a more wide ratio-more spread inbetween gears, and a .82 fifth which made it more streetable with a small motor, so there are many options here)
the diff is a costly addition, here one decides on an out dated super diff or goes with a new lsd or quafie design unit, costs vary from 175.00 to 2,500!
If your going with a swing unit, one must search for some decent axles or with the irs upgrade the cv flanges.
so once one decides on what they want, even if the kit price is more reasonable the trans final bill still can be 4,500!
Dyno, I am in on any new ones, I will sell off my daily driver box for a new one.
Keep me posted!!!!!!
Lunch next week!!!

old bugs never die, they just get faster!!!

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2010, 20:57:40 pm »

So...what is the timeframe for this project? Can you release some technical info?
Prowagen

« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2010, 22:54:08 pm »

I think that realistically you cannot bring the costs down. Even if you went for the Renault UN1 by the time you put all the additional extras on top your still talking strong money.
When people ask for reasonable pricing that normally means cheap, you get what you pay for in life it works the same in every industry! Take into accout that metal pricing is high, currencies here in europe are weak and everybody is feeling the pinch I think it would be a hard thing to get off the ground, but I am all for more interesting and new products in the VW scene so good luck if you go for it.
Chris Andrews - The Mailman

Gaelic lineage with Yankee blood

« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2010, 00:34:44 am »

There may in fact, be an alternative to the modified VW gearbox + fifth gear setup coming soon. Mendeola is working on a new, small, compact gearbox that will be a six speed, design to fit around the VW torsion bar/frame horn setup. It could use either IRS or swingaxle parts.... and take the horsepower.

Is this proposed 6 speed a 3 shaft gearbox? It's something that I've pondered for years.

The Mailman

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look
at.....how many want in.......and how many want to get out."
-Prime Minister Tony Blair of Great Britain

"...Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
-Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863

"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
- George William Curtis

"Good fences make good neighbors."
- Robert Frost, The Mending Wall - 1914
fast68

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2010, 21:02:05 pm »

this could be an option in the future?

http://www.subarugears.com/

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2010, 21:34:09 pm »

the bears 5 speed should be available soon, this will be interesting, cable operated, one piece main shaft, own design of LSD as well, (think its similar to ZF rather than quaife), gearing designed to suit your engine spec.  I have no idea if it will be cheap, but as I have just got off the phone from one of the guys helping to get it together it should be good.  And hopefully it will be available off the shelf unlike bergs.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/

Gaelic lineage with Yankee blood

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2010, 23:23:31 pm »

the bears 5 speed should be available soon, one piece main shaft, own design of LSD as well, (think its similar to ZF rather than Quaife), gearing designed to suit your engine spec.

I am curious if the mainshaft may be similar to a Webster or Hewland? If so, gears can be stacked for custom ratios. IIRC, Porsche did this with their 904 transaxles.

BTW, if this new gearbox is scratch built, it would be awesome if the 002/091 (or larger) R/P was incorporated.

Please keep us informed as more information becomes available.

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look
at.....how many want in.......and how many want to get out."
-Prime Minister Tony Blair of Great Britain

"...Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
-Abraham Lincoln, Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863

"A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle."
- George William Curtis

"Good fences make good neighbors."
- Robert Frost, The Mending Wall - 1914
Neil Davies

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2010, 16:16:38 pm »

How about a T25/Vanagon 5-speed? I know they're side shift, not nose-cone, but is there scope for modification there? Huh

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: