The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:51:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350619 Posts in 28559 Topics by 6810 Members
Latest Member: Raffi
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  How to make my cal Look engine 'period correct'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: How to make my cal Look engine 'period correct'  (Read 27226 times)
glenn

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 20:44:59 pm »

engine looks more period correct , change the alternator to a dynamo , the breather , and for me , would go for non shiny paint for the tins i prefer the "original" color , as an original engine ,  for me john plow(cornpanzers) had a nice period correct enfine  may be richard roth have some photos  Wink
A better picture of JP's 2110.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
smurf67

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 21:36:08 pm »

engine looks more period correct , change the alternator to a dynamo , the breather , and for me , would go for non shiny paint for the tins i prefer the "original" color , as an original engine ,  for me john plow(cornpanzers) had a nice period correct enfine  may be richard roth have some photos  Wink
A better picture of JP's 2110.

Now there is a great looking engine, is the fanshroud painted in a textured paint or is it just semi gloss?? Also what are people's thoughts on painted cases was this done in the day? Or were they left factory mag?? Cheers Alex
glenn

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2014, 21:57:10 pm »

Paint is a crinkly finish.

My only issue are the blue Allen bolts holding the generator stand. That's a Art Thraen trick. I replaced the blue with stainless bolts.

It allows the generator/alternator to be removed without pulling the shroud.

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
Jim Ratto

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2014, 22:09:37 pm »

Plow's motor and Glenn's... Know what makes these stand out and look "right"? They look as if Volkswagen had intended the engine to run Webers, etc. Nothing that DOESN'T have to be done away with has been. Factory shroud (that works better than the aftermarket ones do) stayed. No flash, all businsess.
The problem with this hobby is the un-dying concern for what something looks like and not so much with the end result as far as function. These engines look "right" becasue they are. Look at Sarge's motor from 1972-ish. I don't think DKP of the era were entirely wrapped up about adhering to some model their engines had to look like. The Top 10 List was all about winning drag races.
the old motor in Wade's black '67 wheelstander... same thing. Nothing flash, just the stuff that made the car haul ass.
glenn

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2014, 22:17:49 pm »

The funny thing about the factory... they were pretty smart. I'm using every piece of factory tin including the Hoover Bit and Type 126 (industrial) shields to close off the hole by removing the heater boxes.

2180, stock offset oil cooler, 1.5qt sump and remote filter... it runs as cool as stock.

Glenn

www.DasVolks.com
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2014, 11:43:18 am »

A few "Pre-Cal" ideas......

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2014, 17:24:03 pm »

It allows the generator/alternator to be removed without pulling the shroud.

356/912 engines used this trick. The rear fasteners (closest to pulley) are bolts, the front uses studs/nuts with slots in the stand. Just remove the hardware and the stand slides out allowing easy removal of the generator assembly. I adapted this trick to AssHull's 1915 (one of countless Porsche influences I gave the car), but the extra bulk of the alternator makes it difficult. Needs a generator to work properly.

The Cal Look is based on performance, but it is a look. It is a careful balance between function and form, and is slightly different for everyone. I prefer the function of a factory doghouse shroud, but I really like the "less is more" form of a 36hp shroud (which is why I built one out of two German shrouds for AssHull's car). It also makes working in the engine bay easier.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 18:13:18 pm by Zach Gomulka » Logged

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Brian Rogers

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 20:26:45 pm »

Zach, do you have pics of that 36hp shroud you could post up? I've a Scat that dosen't fit well and I don't want to mod to fit. Like the genny stand trick and have the incerts to do it. May use the Scat just to get it on the road.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 21:35:11 pm »

I have no idea where the fab pictures are. Looks like a bog standard early 40hp shroud. It was a TON of work. I also added a type 4 cooler and FI venturi ring. Not sure if I would bother doing it again.
http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5626.0;attach=43162

richie

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2014, 07:57:53 am »

Couple of pics for ideas, both from Dave Rhoads Smiley

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
RhoadsVW

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2014, 08:37:23 am »

Couple of pics for ideas, both from Dave Rhoads Smiley

picture is from about 1976 after painting green.  Early Berg linkage with the down strap, Deano pulley and 010 dist. on both motors

This is from I believe 1970 before the car was painted green.   It's my 69 X 88 with IDA's.  All cylinders covers and shroud is Deano purple

Thanks Richie

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2014, 11:40:18 am »

zach ,here's AssHull tread

Wink
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:50:20 am by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Mabbo

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2014, 22:36:37 pm »

Thanks for all the replies everyone  Grin

For now I'm going to replace the CSP breather box and replace the fanshroud with the 181 style shroud I'm making. I'm also on the look out for a good condition OG top pulley.

Over the winter I will remove the engine and change a few more things - I'd like a DDS power pulley, remove the paint from the case, maybe replace the alternator with dynamo.

Thanks again, some great pictures and info - really appreciate it  Cool
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 22:42:21 pm »

Thanks Fabs. It's hard to copy the pictures from my phone Wink

RichardinNZ

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2014, 00:27:53 am »

When did alternators become popular?  I remember buying Colin Burnham's book and looking again and again at that photo of Dumper's engine, which to me is still one of the simplest and best looking Cal Look engines out there.  The book must have been published in the mid 1980s?

Richard

Richard, Auckland, New Zealand

'58 Bug; NZ assembled
Dual Carb 36hp
Brian Rogers

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 04:47:45 am »

Read the whole A$$hull thread. The shroud build wasn't in there. But nice build anyway. For period builds I'd be looking in the Fisher book or one of Mr. Seume's books. Zach if you run across those pics please lost 'em up.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 06:53:33 am »

When did alternators become popular?  I remember buying Colin Burnham's book and looking again and again at that photo of Dumper's engine, which to me is still one of the simplest and best looking Cal Look engines out there.  The book must have been published in the mid 1980s?

Richard

By the early 80s some of us were making the switch to alternators.

My '67 will be sympathetic to the era I originally built it ('78-83) and I'm planning on running an alternator.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 06:59:59 am »

Read the whole A$$hull thread. The shroud build wasn't in there. But nice build anyway. For period builds I'd be looking in the Fisher book or one of Mr. Seume's books. Zach if you run across those pics please lost 'em up.

I'm not the best with taking pictures while I work Wink I do remember that I used the lower 2 backing plate holes (to correctly align the backing plate) along with the back and guts from the doghouse shroud. Most of the face and surround were from the early shroud. I had never built one before, I just reverse engineered it and tried to make it as factory appearing as possible. Not difficult, just time consuming.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 16:04:12 pm »

Thanks Fabs. It's hard to copy the pictures from my phone Wink
you're welcome zach  Wink

here's another cal look engine Scott Baken /Aronson replica when the car was a streetable car before she became racer

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Brian Rogers

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 16:30:16 pm »

Wow. The firewall looks like Rhino lineing. I thought they used trunk paint in there?
Jim Ratto

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2014, 21:17:36 pm »

zach ,here's AssHull tread

Wink

Nice engine. Looks like it's easy to service and functional. Nice finish on shroud too.  Cool
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2014, 00:04:16 am »

Thanks, Jim. I had it painted to match the wheels, and I was going for a 356SC sorta look there. Only thing I would have changed on that engine is the alternator in favor of a generator, but AssHull had it in stock and it worked.

christophe

« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2014, 23:46:46 pm »

Hello Zach!
How did you fit the 356/912 oil filler?
Thanks.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2014, 01:16:06 am »

Hello Zach!
How did you fit the 356/912 oil filler?
Thanks.

Fabricated an aluminium adapter.

Mabbo

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2014, 18:44:42 pm »

Its getting there Smiley

How it looks now:

I will re detail it all over the winter to be less black, more factory.
alex d

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 16:18:15 pm »

Plow's motor and Glenn's... Know what makes these stand out and look "right"? They look as if Volkswagen had intended the engine to run Webers, etc. Nothing that DOESN'T have to be done away with has been. Factory shroud (that works better than the aftermarket ones do) stayed. No flash, all businsess.
The problem with this hobby is the un-dying concern for what something looks like and not so much with the end result as far as function. These engines look "right" becasue they are. Look at Sarge's motor from 1972-ish. I don't think DKP of the era were entirely wrapped up about adhering to some model their engines had to look like. The Top 10 List was all about winning drag races.
the old motor in Wade's black '67 wheelstander... same thing. Nothing flash, just the stuff that made the car haul ass.

Looks like John P is selling his engine!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2131570

Martin S.

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 21:04:08 pm »

That's a good deal! When I had my engine built, after all the pain and suffering was over I asked what he would charge if someone at a show saw it and wanted exactly the same thing built again. He said, "I wouldn't do it". So I persisted, and said, "Aw c'mon, if some guy pulled up in a Jag wearing his penny loafers and insisted you build another engine, just like my 2332". He then said, "$60,000".

I let out a guffaw, and then he walked away, not laughing.  Shocked

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
bilboa2

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2018, 01:41:15 am »

Here is a couple of pics from when I first bought the car. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2018, 05:07:05 am »

Here a picture of the engine bay of my 1954 Looker.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
bilboa2

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2018, 06:14:35 am »

Nailed it..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: