The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 17:18:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Cal look drag day July 8th & 9th 2017 Street car shoot out disscusion and rules
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Cal look drag day July 8th & 9th 2017 Street car shoot out disscusion and rules  (Read 43122 times)
richie

« on: November 26, 2015, 07:32:49 am »

I have had the idea of doing something street car related at Cal look drag day next year and have talked to a few people who have shown interest, So I am thinking along the lines of what I recently did in USA, at the moment I am just looking for input of how you all would like the format to be if you are interested in competing.

Idea is to have some sort of cruise Saturday evening of 20-25 miles with a stop about half way to let everyone re group, then either a random pairings eliminator or just quickest ET on sunday? with prizes for quickest 100% as you drove it on cruise pass [ so street tyres, fan belt on, muffler etc] and also quickest with track changes including slicks, belt off and stinger/open exhaust whatever you like but must still look like a street car Wink. if there was enough interest and cars for both then maybe 2 separate classes.

Thoughts please?

cheers Richie

Edited Title as dates confirmed for 2017
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:59:50 am by richie » Logged

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
DaveN

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 11:39:35 am »

I like the idea, pump fuel or race fuel at the track?
richie

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 12:05:30 pm »

I like the idea, pump fuel or race fuel at the track?

Depends on what we get, the group that allows slicks stingers etc would not have any restrictions on fuel either for sure, peoples opinion on the race it like you drove it group appreciated?
Personally I think whatever you want as gets silly if we have to check every cars fuel on every pass

cheers Richie

DaveN

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 12:37:09 pm »

sounds fair enough,  you can use any fuel weather you are running in the "as you drove it" or changing stuff at the track after the cruise.
goose

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 17:51:37 pm »

When is cal look drag day 2016 and where?

2015 the year finally racing
richie

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 08:11:19 am »

As far as I know its not set in stone yet, they are talking to both tracks still to see who will offer the better options an dates and track etc, it will be in May again, be good to see you their Angus Smiley

BossHogg76

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 16:35:19 pm »

If attending i'd like to take part, just with regards to the fuel, if you're going to have 2 classes, one with out the race changes and one with. Pump fuel for the none race changes class and what ever you want for the race changes. Is there a need for checking fuels? I'd hope the people involved would have enough integrity to police themselves, it's bit of a hollow victory to have to cheat to do it.

Also if you can get a wooden spoon award ready it would be appreciated  Grin
Chip

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 17:18:39 pm »

I appreciated the lack of policing at our event in Vegas. The fact that Richie ran that car of his on methanol on the street with no cooling was pretty impressive to me. Do I consider that car a practical street driver? Probably not, but it made the 20 mile drive and fit the rules for the class so no one argued it. There was no need to whine because we new what we had gotten ourselves into when we entered the class. I know that just about every type of fuel was represented at our race that day, from 91 octane pump gas, to  E85, to C-16 to methanol. No one cared what the others ran, we were just there to have fun. We all knew that there were at least 2 9 second cars in our class, while most of us were in the 11 second range. Ironically both of the big dogs broke, and left us with a very well matched field. It was a great event, I know of only one of two cars that competed in full street trim, the other 10 or so of us swapped tires. I honestly don't think much fuel swapping happened. 20 miles of cruising isn't going to burn too much fuel. I think most just absorbed that cost to avoid the hassle at the track the next day.

Obviously I won't be participating out there, but I think to many rules kills the fun. Knives can actually win gun fights  Wink
richie

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 18:00:08 pm »

Rob,
I totally agree it would be cool to have a totally street legal class, then a separate one for those that want to push it more but still have streetable cars, thing is as Chip wrote its easier to just let everyone run what they want, I remember the bitching about race engines competing in Street cars in the old Volksworld street car shootouts, and do we then allow E85 in the street class as its a legal pump fuel, although only available at limited petrol stations, it wouldn't be worth someone risking there race engine for 15mins of fame surely Wink Even if no one actually did it there is still that opportunity for bitching about it if its a rule, remember less is more in Cal look world Cheesy

I do think cars like yours and Hans 67 are really what we should be aiming at so don't be putting yourself out just yet, again Chip is right, the reliable cars win, not the fireworks Shocked Grin

Chip, Hot rod drag week should show its a practical street car still  Shocked Wink wont be on methanol due to lack of availability on the drive but E85 with a shroud should do it Smiley as I could have done on the cruise at Vegas but didn't feel the need, it actually runs a little to cool on the freeway as it is right now Shocked

Keep the comments coming Cool

cheers Richie

BossHogg76

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 18:35:38 pm »

Chip/ Richie there's clearly much much more to this racing malarky than meets my eye, and as I'm greener than grass, i'm still learning, especially the levels of bitching and skulduggery that seem to occur Grin

Having a cruise out on the Saturday definitely gets my vote, and a great way escape the tent, even if it is only to a McD's.....or pub with a fine selection of pies.

If Hanz brings his grey 67......I'm screwed I have a small chance against his blue one Cheesy
nicolas

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 19:12:14 pm »

great idea

i may be a bit too optimitstic here, but if you can call an good sense and sportmanship towards one another, people will sure sign up in the right class and not cheat as there is only bragging rights involved.

set up some basic rules ( i even think you have some ideas on how that can be done). but first create a big enough field of intrest and enthusiasm, i am sure critics and comments will come one way or another.  Wink

you can't do anything wrong if you don't do anything, but what is the fun in that right  Grin

BRING IT ON!
goose

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 19:51:54 pm »

I would love to give it  a go mine will be street car spec only as I don't even have a stinger and can't afford race fuel never mind slicks  that will probably smash my gearbox again count me in

P's do you have to get to the end of the track with the fan belt on?
As I usually set off with but rarely end up with it still on at the end  lol😃

Chip

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 20:03:20 pm »

Rob,
I totally agree it would be cool to have a totally street legal class, then a separate one for those that want to push it more but still have streetable cars, thing is as Chip wrote its easier to just let everyone run what they want, I remember the bitching about race engines competing in Street cars in the old Volksworld street car shootouts, and do we then allow E85 in the street class as its a legal pump fuel, although only available at limited petrol stations, it wouldn't be worth someone risking there race engine for 15mins of fame surely Wink Even if no one actually did it there is still that opportunity for bitching about it if its a rule, remember less is more in Cal look world Cheesy

I do think cars like yours and Hans 67 are really what we should be aiming at so don't be putting yourself out just yet, again Chip is right, the reliable cars win, not the fireworks Shocked Grin

Chip, Hot rod drag week should show its a practical street car still  Shocked Wink wont be on methanol due to lack of availability on the drive but E85 with a shroud should do it Smiley as I could have done on the cruise at Vegas but didn't feel the need, it actually runs a little to cool on the freeway as it is right now Shocked

Keep the comments coming Cool

cheers Richie

I guess my point was that finding Methanol filling stations might be a little rough, E85 is a different story though.  Like I said, no hard feelings at all, the car fit the rules 100%.  I can't wait to see how drag week goes!
richie

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 20:16:21 pm »

I would love to give it  a go mine will be street car spec only as I don't even have a stinger and can't afford race fuel never mind slicks  that will probably smash my gearbox again count me in

P's do you have to get to the end of the track with the fan belt on?
As I usually set off with but rarely end up with it still on at the end  lol😃

Cheesy  Don't think anyone will mind that, we only need to keep it in the spirit of it

richie

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 20:19:23 pm »

I guess my point was that finding Methanol filling stations might be a little rough, E85 is a different story though.  Like I said, no hard feelings at all, the car fit the rules 100%.  I can't wait to see how drag week goes!

I know, was just messing with you Grin      it was just that lost in translation thing of the internet from me I think. I just do it to have fun, not everyone will take that attitude but not going to let that stop me Smiley

cheers Richie

Tufty65

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 00:32:56 am »

As far as I know its not set in stone yet, they are talking to both tracks still to see who will offer the better options an dates and track etc, it will be in May again, be good to see you their Angus Smiley

Think it will be SP as it looks like shakey will be turned into a housing estate now planning beens granted Sad

http://www.stratford-herald.com/44931-long-marston-housing-plan-approved.html

Outlaw Flat Four 35
12.64 @ 106.25mph
richie

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 10:14:02 am »

Think it will be SP as it looks like shakey will be turned into a housing estate now planning beens granted Sad

I am led to believe Shakey will have one more year open, but who knows right now Sad

Peter Shattock

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 17:16:22 pm »

I am led to believe Shakey will have one more year open, but who knows right now Sad

I wasn’t aware of that! If this is the last year at SCR I for one would really like to race there again in 2016, assuming the track is open as Richie has said. SCR has long been my favourite track as I think the layout is great with the racers actually getting to see some racing from the fire up road. I know the facilities are not all that, but it’s never bothered me and as much as the actual track is not as good as SP at my level that has never been a problem either.
It will certainly be a sad day when it closes one way or another.

Anyway back on topic.

I think this is a great idea particularly in terms of the drive out.  Firstly to prove the cars are street cars (don’t start!), but more importantly for a bit of fun and to add a new element to a VW show which at least in the UK has not been done before.
In years gone by it was far more common to see a few ACVW’s rolling around but not any more, so a trip into town to the local town for a burger or similar with a load of other hot ACVW’s sounds like a lot of fun.

As several have suggested above the emphasis should be on the fun whilst racing too. I think any rules  should be sufficiently open to encourage participation. What we don’t want is the proper street cars, which are inevitably slower put off by the race car / street cars.
The reality is that there will be such a range of ‘street’ car combinations running on, radials, DOT’s, slicks for example, not to mention fan belts, stingers, turbo’s, NoS and engine size etc we could not hope to make a competitive race class of it.

If anything I think we could just pair up similar speed cars for a fun close race and whoever wins any given race gets bragging rights for that race and have a rematch if you fancy one.

I'm not at all convinced its necessary but there could be leader board based on times to confirm where we all are in the overall scheme of things, and if you want, there could be two leader boards one for the proper street cars and one for the race car street cars (I’ll leave you all to decide if that is necessary or desirable or not), but the reality is no matter how many classes / lists you have it would all be fairly meaningless given the variety of cars and setup.

Any leader board if adopted should just be a talking point over a beer and burger in the evening, no prizes necessary.

If you are faster than me on the board I’ll just blame my small engine, fan belt, tires or whatever it is that you have and I haven’t and I would expect people to make similar excuses if I’m faster than them!  Hopefully that can be the same for everyone and just make for a bit of fun and piss taking over the barbeque.

Having said all that if we do need any classes at all I would suggest we have one for blue 61 sedans driven by a bloke’s called Pete so I win. Particularly if there is a prize like a nice cup of tea, oh and perhaps a cake from Jo. 

Peter

The fastest beetle in the village
thehanz DVK

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 17:27:21 pm »

Hope to be there had a Great time last year, and wil cruise it from the netherlands an back  Wink

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
richie

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 18:21:02 pm »

So far majority of feedback I have got is for

Class A total street cars, must be pump fuel, have muffler/silencer, Euro kite mark tyres and run same as they do on cruise, but for Goose fanbelt can be removed before or on your pass Wink I actually think allowing the removal of fan belt on some cars is good idea as not everyone will have a welded fan and we don't need any fan explosions Shocked

Class B Everything else, but must complete cruise

Then trophy for quickest in

Class A Normally aspirated
Class A Power adder[turbo, nitrous, supercharger etc]
Class B N/A
Class B Power adder/adders 

And finally the Big trophy/cake for the person that has the most fun Grin

goose

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 20:18:27 pm »

I have talked to people on this forum and others for years I still have not talked to much more than three people in person  at most I would love to talk to people o  a cruise,  and take their advise experience  etc and try it out their is potential in my car more in me chit chat beer and racing is good for me that would be the winner from for me               all change on the start line lol

goose

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2015, 21:09:00 pm »

Also never been to shakey so it gets my vote

Neil Davies

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2015, 23:54:22 pm »

I wasn’t aware of that! If this is the last year at SCR I for one would really like to race there again in 2016, assuming the track is open as Richie has said. SCR has long been my favourite track as I think the layout is great with the racers actually getting to see some racing from the fire up road. I know the facilities are not all that, but it’s never bothered me and as much as the actual track is not as good as SP at my level that has never been a problem either.
It will certainly be a sad day when it closes one way or another.

Pete, from what I've read elsewhere Shakey has definitely got 2016 - the Hells Angels have got Bulldog Bash already booked and I can't see anyone cancelling on them...

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
richie

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 13:40:12 pm »

Been told today that its 100% ok for 2016 and they started planning for 2017 according to Jerry Cookson[ who runs shakey] last night so seems reliable source Wink

Downside to Shakey is I wouldn't want to run anymore than a high 9sec car their, the run off is just to bumpy so you are unlikely to see any real quick cars mine included Sad

cheers Richie

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 10:26:31 am »

Just to let folks know, we are busy beavering away trying to nail down the track and the date I can only apologise it's taking as long as it is, it's getting more difficult every year and looks set to be even harder with the imminent demise of the much loved SCR.

I for one cannot wait for the street cruise, this is set to be the highlight for me personally of the upcoming Cal Look Drag Day, and while I always struggle to actually run a car at CLDD as it gets quite hectic, I am going to be making sure that we have enough marshals helping out to allow me to take part in my own cal looker this year.

Thanks for stepping up Richie!

I AM SO UP FOR SEEING THIS!

richie

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 11:00:44 am »

I am going to be making sure that we have enough marshals helping out to allow me to take part in my own cal looker this year.

Thanks for stepping up Richie!

I AM SO UP FOR SEEING THIS!

Holding you to that Jamie, no excuses like I didn't get time to wash it Cheesy  You are going to be there with your own car Shocked Cool

And no problem getting this going, all positive so far and response looks like we will have enough cars to make it worth the effort Cool

I got a few ideas on making it more fun and better for all involved including photographers but some of it will be affected by which track its at so will wait till that is finalised

cheers Richie

richie

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 11:03:27 am »

great idea

i may be a bit too optimitstic here, but if you can call an good sense and sportmanship towards one another, people will sure sign up in the right class and not cheat as there is only bragging rights involved.

set up some basic rules ( i even think you have some ideas on how that can be done). but first create a big enough field of intrest and enthusiasm, i am sure critics and comments will come one way or another.  Wink

you can't do anything wrong if you don't do anything, but what is the fun in that right  Grin

BRING IT ON!

Nicolas,

So you going to come in the fasty and join in? 

cheers Richie

leec

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 11:20:22 am »

Put me down for class A Richie,
I will run mine on treads see what it does with muffler etc
Lee
richie

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 11:33:03 am »

Lee

Nice, I will be interested to see how much ET drops like that as well

leec

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 11:39:37 am »

Lee

Nice, I will be interested to see how much ET drops like that as well

But I expect I will do one run in street mode, get bored and go race mode Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: