The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:48:20 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  56 strip/street Oval
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: 56 strip/street Oval  (Read 105282 times)
Pas

« Reply #300 on: September 25, 2016, 01:49:23 am »

Ok folks, firstly an apology for not updating this thread for over 2 years, I will attempt to post more often in future. So what's been happening in that time? Well anybody who saw it at the Volksworld show would have realized it was far from finished, no plumbing, wiring, suspension geometry set etc. What wasn't so obvious was the car was pretty much mocked up, so following the show the car has been rebuilt correctly.

First up was getting the car plumbed and wired, enter good friend and all round awesome pensioner, Bernard Newbury. A couple of weekends at Bernies and we had the car sorted on those fronts. I will post some pictures when I can, but needless to say it has all been done to his usual perfect standards.

As I mentioned in a previous post the NOS Front Wilwood brake kit I bought wasn't playing ball and I just couldn't get it all to work together. I came to the conclusion that whatever this kit or kits was it wasn't going to fit without some fabrication work. So, out came the whole beam and it was delivered to Jim Smith at Cotsweld who made new caliper brackets and fitted new, billet Wilwood Dynalite calipers (very sexy  Grin) Beam back in the car, next up was a trip over to Chris Isaacs for a few small jobs and the fitting of a JCL style steering set up and Cromoly steering column.

This brings us up to this year and the realisation that, with hardly any chance to get into the garage due to work and family commitments, I was facing yet another racing season without a finished car, so I bit the bullet and took the car over to Phil West to complete the 1001 jobs still to do and to set up the engine and suspension. While the car was at Phil's he also weighed it and it came in at 525 kg all up race ready weight, lighter than I ever thought it would be. I must say Phil has worked his magic and the car looks, and more importantly, feels like the race car I had always hoped for.

This now brings us up to September this year and a race ready car waiting to go. VW Action was chosen as the first meeting, but unfortunately things didn't quite turn out as hoped. A rained off Saturday meant I had a chance for a single run on the Sunday morning before I had to pack up and go home. Having not done any drag racing for nearly 30 years and with a completely new car, a gentle check out pass was the only option. No burn out, gentle launch then a little more gas, 1st to 2nd then couldn't find 3rd! run aborted, but crossing the finish in 4th under power.

I decided that I would do one more meeting this year, the National Finals test and tune day. Conditions were perfect and I decided on another gentle check out pass, this time I got all gears and ran a very sedate 15.5, but more importantly everything felt great and gave me the confidence to do a harder run. 2nd pass, no burn out and a reasonably gentle launch then more gas and aggressive gear changes. Waiting at the top end to be towed back, I thought "that felt better, I think that might have been a 14 or maybe even high 13" when Dave Nicholls turned up and told me it was a 12.84 @100 mph I was completely stoked! A 3rd and final run resulted in a 12.67.

So, 10 years after I started I have achieved what I set out to do, build a light, small cubic inch car capable of running sub 13 sec quarters.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:02:04 am by Pas » Logged

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
leec

« Reply #301 on: September 25, 2016, 08:08:10 am »

Great write up  Smiley
Can't wait to see the car in the flesh, I was super impressed when it was at volksworld. How much power does the motor make?
Lee
DaveN

« Reply #302 on: September 25, 2016, 09:57:04 am »

Good job Mark getting the car out and running 12s .  Theres plenty more in the car yet!
melvin

OFF/83

« Reply #303 on: September 25, 2016, 10:49:23 am »

good job Wink

OFF/83
Neil Davies

« Reply #304 on: September 25, 2016, 17:58:22 pm »

Nice work! Those are Outlaw times... Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pas

« Reply #305 on: September 25, 2016, 21:23:13 pm »

Great write up  Smiley
Can't wait to see the car in the flesh, I was super impressed when it was at volksworld. How much power does the motor make?
Lee

Hi Lee.

Little Pete had the engine dynoed at JPM shortly before he sold it and it made 186 Hp and 150ft/lbs.

Pas

« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2016, 21:23:53 pm »

good job Wink

Thanks Melvin

Pas

« Reply #307 on: September 25, 2016, 21:24:46 pm »

Good job Mark getting the car out and running 12s .  Theres plenty more in the car yet!

Thanks Dave and thanks again for all your help Friday.

Pas

« Reply #308 on: September 25, 2016, 21:25:21 pm »

Nice work! Those are Outlaw times... Wink

Wink

DaveN

« Reply #309 on: September 25, 2016, 21:31:03 pm »

Thanks Dave and thanks again for all your help Friday.

no problem. glad I could help
WPS

« Reply #310 on: September 26, 2016, 16:02:49 pm »

Well done mate....glad you got down the track...and in style!!  Cool

Wolfsburg Performance Services

WolfsburgPerformance.co.uk

Instagram:  wpsengines

07880-311850.
Pas

« Reply #311 on: September 26, 2016, 20:28:35 pm »

Well done mate....glad you got down the track...and in style!!  Cool

Thanks Ian

More to come next year hopefully!

flatfire

« Reply #312 on: September 27, 2016, 21:55:41 pm »

Your bug looks awesome. Well done on the times  Smiley
Pas

« Reply #313 on: September 29, 2016, 00:13:53 am »

Your bug looks awesome. Well done on the times  Smiley

Cheers

kev d

« Reply #314 on: October 01, 2016, 18:15:33 pm »

Congratulations bud! Cool
Looks great, you must be buzzing! Grin
Now we need to get side by side.. Wink
Cheers
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: