The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 14:47:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Recipe for a mean sounding VW ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Recipe for a mean sounding VW ?  (Read 36175 times)
Neil Davies

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 14:50:24 pm »

another factor is the header, I'd have to say stainless steel sounds like crap. Next time round I'm going with a ceramic coated mild steel system.

Totally agree - SS sounds hollow somehow, sucks all the warmth out of the sound.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
vwcab

peter

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 14:53:14 pm »

Yep,nice sound from "Sloval"

p.s.what are those frontwheels,any info on them?
  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 14:58:23 pm »

Locked dizzy?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 17:48:56 pm »

Wow Jim, good subject!

Firsthand, I've owned--built--worked on--been around plenty of mean engines (both sound and otherwise) over the last three decades or so. One that stands out was by no means the biggest or fastest, but respectable, memorable, and definately had the right sound. Many moons ago, back around 1976-77 I built a 1750cc for my '59 Ghia... Simple, lowbuck engine but it had some attitude. The engine consisted of a stock, NON counterweighted 69mm crank, NPR 90's, stock but lightened and polished connecting rods, super-light flywheel (even drilled), power pulley, Engle 120, DP heads milled so deep the first fin was missing (LOTS of compression), stock valves, ported by me, topped off w/48 IDA's on tall manifolds & a Bosch 010. I ran a Four Tuned 1 5/8 merge with a single Berg Q.P.-- Please note-- this was not the mass produced Q.P. everybody and their brother sold... it was actually an american made muffler designed for war time Jeeps sold as surplus that Berg used to sell in the early days... or so the story goes.
Anyway, THAT engine was crisp, responsive, and very quick revving... as a side note, that Berg muffler sounded so good when you were driving.. it would actually "buzz" a little out the pipe some. I liked it because the exhaust was somewhat quiet and you could really hear the 48's. The Ghia ran low 14's on race gas w/o the fan belt.

I have to say, I like healthy engines... anything from a built VW, V-8, hopped up Diesel with tons of turbo, or whatever.
Way back when Riverside Raceway was open I got to ride with a friend of mine out to the track to do a few laps and then back home... about 160 miles round trip plus track time... best part, the car is a 1964 Ferarri 250GT SWB California Spyder!!!! THIS car needed no radio! Top down, open air with the dual exhaust out back... just friggin sweet! This guy was somewhat cautious, but was not afraid to actually drive the car how it was ment to be driven... he still has that car, I'll have to go beg another ride soon Wink

~DR.
Peter

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 18:01:31 pm »

glasspacks help too...
Smiley
alfie the monster

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 19:08:14 pm »

Randy Jewell's old 1914 on ida's. It whined like fuck eith his straight cuts, awesome noise  Grin

other engines? When we were at school my friends Mum had an Alfa GTAV6, and that sounded ace. Lots of country lanes around our way, and it sounded magic on one between 2 high stone walls  Cool

Maserati Birdcage sounded awesome at Goodwood a few years ago. also loving the sound that Chip Foose's Lincoln V12 engines 32 makes

JG54 Grunherz
streetvw

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 20:39:27 pm »

some of my fave non-VW

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/myxMudtFX6g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/myxMudtFX6g</a>

and you can't beat the sound of one of these
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XR7aF4hY9rU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/XR7aF4hY9rU</a>

aside from a hot vw motor that is  Tongue
ian c

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2009, 20:59:30 pm »

... best part, the car is a 1964 Ferarri 250GT SWB California Spyder!!!! THIS car needed no radio! Top down, open air with the dual exhaust out back... just friggin sweet! This guy was somewhat cautious, but was not afraid to actually drive the car how it was ment to be driven... he still has that car, I'll have to go beg another ride soon Wink

if i had the money to buy one of them , NOBODY would be getting a go  Grin  Grin

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2009, 21:18:52 pm »

... best part, the car is a 1964 Ferarri 250GT SWB California Spyder!!!! THIS car needed no radio! Top down, open air with the dual exhaust out back... just friggin sweet! This guy was somewhat cautious, but was not afraid to actually drive the car how it was ment to be driven... he still has that car, I'll have to go beg another ride soon Wink

if i had the money to buy one of them , NOBODY would be getting a go  Grin  Grin

He bought it from Circle Porsche in 1972 for $7000.00 Roll Eyes

...maybe we could offer him $10K Grin

~DR.
besserwisser

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 21:38:12 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vK-mIWHjypY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vK-mIWHjypY</a>   

My 1915 with superlight flywheel engle 120  early cb044 dual dellorto 40
Jim Ratto

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2009, 21:45:46 pm »

~DR.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  what'd Ferrari make...13 of those? Wow that must have been a FUN jaunt.

(jealous)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2009, 22:01:34 pm »

what's interesting, take any halfway-decent basic motor, with a good breathing head on it, crank in some overlap and add some 40mm+ Weber carbs on top, good equal-length tube exhaust, and they all sound pretty damn good.

go through you tube.... type in 365BB or Miura or 365 Daytona. Listen to them,....   they sound pretty familiar. Sure they have all those cylinder pulses, smoothing out the exhaust note, but the screaming cam drives, the "WHOMP" of the carbs, the fast throttle response....  not too far off from a good IDA fed VW Cool

Some friends in years past had some Weber-ized stuff. One guy ran a Mini Cooper 1275 around with a single 45DOCE on it (that protruded into the cabin thru the firewall.... you peek under dash panel and there were two velocity stacks by your knees! Hope she don't backfire! Shocked). That little Austin 1275 screamed through that carb... that car was a rocket. He ran a Caterham 7 too with Ford motor with Lotus head and twin DCOE's.... again, sounded awesome.

More recently, a friend of mine built a 2088cc BMW 4 cylinder for his 2002, with a Schrick cam (like 86b Web actually), ported head and twin 45mm DCOEs with 38mm vents. THAT car had a growl that would make your arm hair stand up. Real fast too, but apparently not fast enough....as he recently swapped it out for an E30 M3 DOHC motor.  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2009, 22:04:02 pm »

~DR.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  what'd Ferrari make...13 of those? Wow that must have been a FUN jaunt.

(jealous)

Yes, good times.
Once a year the Ferrari and Pantera owners clubs would rent the track for a day... On the track, the Ferrari guys would mostly tip-toe around each other while the Pantera guys were out for blood Wink

~DR.
Sam K

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 02:17:43 am »

I love the sound of my 2332. It has IDA's, a 498 lift by 312 degree cam, straight cuts, Jeff Denham heads and 1 3/4 merged system with an A-1 built magnaflow muffler. However, a long, long time ago I had a 1600 with 1.25 rockers a 300 cfm Holley bug spray and an S&S header with low mount duals. That was the meanest sounding little engine. I was about 16 years old and I had no idea how to tune that stupid Holley. I couldn't find replacement jets or anybody here who knew how to do work on it either. It sounded like a Harley at idle and when you revved it up it was very deep and throaty. It also broke throttle cables on a weekly basis. I kept it on the car for a couple months before I gave up on it and bought some Kadrons but for those couple months, it was sweet. I think that Holley is still in the shed at my parents house.   
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 08:08:08 am »

and i like the smell of vp fuel, Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 18:03:47 pm »

82mm SPG 92mm DDS B&P and a set of Italian 48 IDA's  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009, 18:33:42 pm »

82mm SPG 92mm DDS B&P and a set of Italian 48 IDA's  Wink

Sounds like something to put in the "won't work" thread  Grin Grin

Just kidding Dude  Wink
lawrence

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2009, 19:46:22 pm »

To me, induction and exhaust are what make a motor sound killer. IDAs and nice, quiet maganaflow are my choice Grin

Did any people use straight cut cam gears in the 70s and 80s. It seems like a recent trend. Just to change it up the next engine that I build will not have straight cuts. Does anyone know of a hot engine that does not use straight cuts? I bet it sounds better.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2009, 21:31:08 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vK-mIWHjypY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vK-mIWHjypY</a>   

My 1915 with superlight flywheel engle 120  early cb044 dual dellorto 40

Ahhh, refreshing, thanks for posting. How light is superlight if I may ask?

Best rgs
Kalle

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Jim Ratto

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2009, 21:44:30 pm »

To me, induction and exhaust are what make a motor sound killer. IDAs and nice, quiet maganaflow are my choice Grin

Did any people use straight cut cam gears in the 70s and 80s. It seems like a recent trend. Just to change it up the next engine that I build will not have straight cuts. Does anyone know of a hot engine that does not use straight cuts? I bet it sounds better.

Really? To me the timing gears give the audio qualities of a hot VW it's "edge", especially at idle. BTW, Pete Statt's car had straight cuts in '86-87
besserwisser

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2009, 22:01:52 pm »

I built that engine around -94. I do not remember the actuall wheight but looking at it now makes me wonder what I was thinking. It does rev like a motorcycle engine and gave 150hp on the Bug run free dyno 1995. If you want more hp than the motor can give I strongly recomend the bug run dyno. My personal belief is it makes around 135hp.
Rasser

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2009, 23:09:33 pm »

Did anyone say tunnel and 7k rpm ??  Grin Grin Grin

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-5782694275058868534&hl=da&fs=true
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 23:11:08 pm by Rasser DK » Logged

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2009, 04:12:16 am »

.... when you can hear the sound of the induction of a NA engine over the open stinger exhaust.  Old school drag cars of yester-year (super high compression, IDA's, big heavy-breathing heads, big cams). 

The Motion Sickness Ghia is prety awesome sounding too!

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
ian c

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2009, 05:43:00 am »

Really? To me the timing gears give the audio qualities of a hot VW it's "edge", especially at idle. BTW, Pete Statt's car had straight cuts in '86-87

Bruce McDowell "magnums" where around a decade before that jim Wink he sold the company early eighties but they carried on the magnum name . sarge was probobly on the sand with him at the time ....

lawrence , i think fit / lash of strait-cuts plays the biggest part in the noise ... some can be as quiet as stock .
if youre going "heavy" springs , its better to fit strait-cuts .....

heres an early set from 1981

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 06:13:21 am by ian c » Logged

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
besserwisser

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2009, 07:56:32 am »

Fantastic sound Rasser. That is also one of my favorite pastimes. We once drove to Bad Camberg in a split with an Abbarth exhaust and every tunnel and underpas was a blast. I rolled down the window and told my friend to hit it. Sounded like a world war two airplane.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2009, 08:02:39 am »

Fantastic sound Rasser. That is also one of my favorite pastimes. We once drove to Bad Camberg in a split with an Abbarth exhaust and every tunnel and underpas was a blast. I rolled down the window and told my friend to hit it. Sounded like a world war two airplane.

Now THAT'S cool. Tunnels and air-cooled German cars have always sounded great together.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2009, 05:04:07 am »

Tunnels?
Short but sweet
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FIJI_2hnKEw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/FIJI_2hnKEw</a>

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2013, 11:12:23 am »

can this qualify as mean?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CBdP5hlGwNU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CBdP5hlGwNU</a>

BTW I strongly miss such topics as this one!

modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2013, 14:15:41 pm »

1. Set comp at one tiny speck below melting lol.
2. Heads with REALLY fast air velocity.
3. Pick a cam with enough overlap to spit a bit at idle.
4. Throw the Webers in the bin and use a centremount.
5. Light flywheel.
6. Pick your favourite muffler.

My personal favourite is 4 glasspacks with no collector, and a Holley350 on an isolated centre. It sounds really impatient at idle, and the back of the car rocks at about 8-900rpm (rup, rup, rup, rup.......)  Cheesy For some reason the little ones like under 1600 sound better when revving than the big 2L motors.

I'll let everyone else go fast with the power and speed of a tuned 4-1 and IDAs. Me? I'll stick with setting off car alarms down the street with the exhaust bass note.  Grin

Oh, my contribution to my favourite sounding engine. Had a few of these set up like this, very old school..........
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HDoW8vyFjXk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/HDoW8vyFjXk</a>

Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2013, 11:39:21 am »

Sorry for the lousy format, but I love the sound of my own engine.

I'll miss the sharpness when I'm swapping to turbo..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CMpfEtVRIqs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/CMpfEtVRIqs</a>

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: