The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 18, 2024, 13:33:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350838 Posts in 28603 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  what are you talking about??????
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: what are you talking about??????  (Read 20985 times)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 17:38:27 pm »

That's clever.  Similarly, when I was looking for wheels for my car, I did an eBay search deliberately mispelling "Porsche."  There was actually a set of flat-6's that came up under "Porch wheels."  Sadly, I was outbid.  Guess someone had the same idea.

Roll Eyes Grin

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 17:43:18 pm »

Yep, I still call 'em alloys. But I was callin' 'em 911 or 914 Fuchs back in the early '80s, too. That's what happens when you work at the dealerships. I still use all of the old phrases from the '70s/'80s.

What I DON'T use and just don't get are:

"dizzy"
"slammed"
"bagged"
"patina"

And any other gay-assed term for cars with broken axles. First time I heard that d-word in person I literally laughed out loud. Had to walk away from that conversation. I agree w/ya, 1970... the new lingo is pretty funny.

Longtime no hear of "2.0 Liter alloys" and rarely see them anymore either... they looks awesome on 4-lug cars.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 21:27:43 pm »

I just realized I'm "OLD"   Roll Eyes Embarrassed Undecided Cry

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 01:05:01 am »

Another term I just don't get... zwitter. What the heck? Yeah, yeah... I know what it means in German. And I'm also fully aware that Lisa Maxwell's old yellow '53 was one (Split window w/Oval dash). But why on this ball that we call Earth would anyone, especially German culture, choose THAT word for that?

Huh

I've always called those cars late Splits. Which were made in very limited numbers. Lisa's was the first one I'd seen. Haven't seen many more since then.

Another hilarious term... splitty. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I agree with Jeffrey; at which point did some hoodride rust purveyor decide to start referring to pre '67 Type 2 Buses as Splitty? That wallows in utter lameness. I admit that sometimes I've used the term Split windshield Bus. But most of the time, it's simply early Bus or Bay window for a late one.

2.0 Liters. One of my all-time favorite wheels. Still call 'em that. But I sometimes use 914 Fuchs. Sorry... carry over from dealership days/daze.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
low oval
DKK

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 05:52:32 am »

while I had my oval stashed away for 10 to 15 years I've noticed a few changes since getting back into vw's.
still call em alloys and always will.
same with 2L's
dual qp's or dual cans
yeah, decambered!
67 and earlier busses are early busses.
claudes buggies made crappy stuff,  now CB performance makes the good stuff.
empi made the good stuff, now they make crappy stuff
scat, well enough said.  they haven't changed.
I guess that will do for now, my head hurts.

oh yeah Mark, a guy named Ken White had a 53 in dkk back in 78, but it wasn't finished.  he drove a dark blue 55 with centerlines and I think the plate was fasrnu.
jim

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 05:55:43 am »

oh yeah Mark, a guy named Ken White had a 53 in dkk back in 78, but it wasn't finished.  he drove a dark blue 55 with centerlines and I think the plate was fasrnu.

Cool, Jim. Those '53 (6 months worth) cars are unique, for sure. I tripped out the first time that I saw Lisa's, when I was waiting to get voted into the club. That license plate is rather interesting, too. Guess that there was more than one, yes?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:06:15 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
low oval
DKK

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 06:03:11 am »

maybe it was spelled different, but he definately had a similar plate.  I'll have to look for pictures of his car.  it also had a 2L w/48's.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Georg/DFL

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 09:16:52 am »

Another term I just don't get... zwitter. What the heck? Yeah, yeah... I know what it means in German. And I'm also fully aware that Lisa Maxwell's old yellow '53 was one (Split window w/Oval dash). But why on this ball that we call Earth would anyone, especially German culture, choose THAT word for that?

Mark, the term "Zwitter" comes from the vintage guys in Germany. I am now 20 years in the VW scene and we always called the splits w/Oval dash "Zwitter". I guess one of the english or american guys picked up the word, maybe because it sounds funny or he just liked it. Suddenly everybody uses that word and thats it.

Good example: The Empi Sprint Stars were actually german wheels, made by a company named "Lemmerz". 15 years ago nobody in Germany was interested in these wheels. They were just steel wheels from Lemmerz. You could have them cheap.... really cheap.  Cheesy Then suddenly some journalist from a certain german VW magazine called the wheels "Empi Sprint Stars", because he learned new things about Empi and the whole US VW industry. It took a while but today nearly everybody in Germany refers to them as "Sprint Stars", even if they are originally from Germany and named "Lemmerz Stahlsportfelge".  And with all the vintage/Cal Look craze they are not cheap anymore....  Grin
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:56:05 am by Georg/DFL » Logged

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Dirk / DFL

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 09:56:11 am »

Good example: The Empi Sprint Stars were actually german wheels, made by a company named "Lemmerz". 15 years ago nobody in Germany was interested in these wheels. They were just steal wheels from Lemmerz. You could have them cheap.... really cheap.  Cheesy Then suddenly some journalist from a certain german VW magazine called the wheels "Empi Sprint Stars", because he learned new things about Empi and the whole US VW industry. It took a while but today nearly everybody in Germany refers to them as "Sprint Stars", even if they are originally from Germany and named "Lemmerz Stahlsportfelge".  And with all the vintage/Cal Look craze they are not cheap anymore....  Grin

I hope you mean "steel" wheels...

;-)
Dirk
Georg/DFL

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 10:56:54 am »

Corrected, Master!  Grin

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Neil Davies

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 12:38:05 pm »

Funny isn't it! Some of the terms I use are ones that some of the older guys (sorry Mark!) don't! I've always called a distributor a dizzy, and I'd not heard of Fuchs being called Alloys until the Deeks came back. Zwitter I've heard of right from when I first got into Beetles nearly 15 years ago, same with pre-'67 buses being called splitties or split buses. Split bugs will always just be splits though!

What I don't like is the gangster crap like OG, slammed on earlies, patina, fat chick, etc. Or am I just getting old too...

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 12:48:28 pm »

Or am I just getting old too...

Lips Sealed  Roll Eyes

Grin
Dirk / DFL

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 13:41:13 pm »

Or am I just getting old too...

Lips Sealed  Roll Eyes

Uhh, yes, aha, you are getting old.

Dirk,
born 1968....
nearly 41.... (kreisch!) Lips Sealed

Grin
Rennsurfer

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 14:02:29 pm »

Good example: The Empi Sprint Stars were actually german wheels, made by a company named "Lemmerz". 15 years ago nobody in Germany was interested in these wheels. They were just steel wheels from Lemmerz. You could have them cheap.... really cheap.  Cheesy Then suddenly some journalist from a certain german VW magazine called the wheels "Empi Sprint Stars", because he learned new things about Empi and the whole US VW industry. It took a while but today nearly everybody in Germany refers to them as "Sprint Stars", even if they are originally from Germany and named "Lemmerz Stahlsportfelge".  And with all the vintage/Cal Look craze they are not cheap anymore....  Grin

True, Georg, regarding the Lemmerz part. But I've had an EMPI 1967 catalog since the early '80s. So, I removed the wheel page and scanned it, this morning. It's always been my understanding that EMPI called those steel wheels Sprint Stars. Personally, I've never liked them. But I will admit... Rayburn's looked great. He ditched the chrome for silver. HUGE improvement. I can't stand chrome on my wheels.

Funny isn't it! Some of the terms I use are ones that some of the older guys (sorry Mark!) don't! I've always called a distributor a dizzy, and I'd not heard of Fuchs being called Alloys until the Deeks came back. Zwitter I've heard of right from when I first got into Beetles nearly 15 years ago, same with pre-'67 buses being called splitties or split buses. Split bugs will always just be splits though!

What I don't like is the gangster crap like OG, slammed on earlies, patina, fat chick, etc. Or am I just getting old too...

HAHA!! No need for apology, Neil. You're right, though... it's funny. Depending on what part of the world, age, and peer group... it dictates the type of lingo, yes? But we can agree on one thing; that gangster crap. Sheesh. I've still yet to hear that "fat chick" term used towards VWs. Guess I should consider myself lucky.

Grin
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 14:05:58 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 14:56:50 pm »

Um... excuse me, but what is a "Fat Chick" in VW Gangsta terminology?

I'm guessing it's an OG car on earlies, slammed with extra patina sauce Cool

(Sorry, I'm an old guy)

~Dave
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2009, 15:33:34 pm »

mmmm..... patina sauce.....

-jeffrey

javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2009, 15:50:51 pm »

Um... excuse me, but what is a "Fat Chick" in VW Gangsta terminology?

I'm guessing it's an OG car on earlies, slammed with extra patina sauce Cool

(Sorry, I'm an old guy)

~Dave

"Fat chick" I think started out as Super Beetles, and then eventually came to refer to any later-model aircooled after the big bumpers, etc.  Like 68+ Beetles, Bay Busses, 70+ Type 3's, and so on.

Is patina sauce the stuff you can feel the grit between your teeth?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
lawrence

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2009, 19:19:31 pm »

Dizzy is a pretty stupid term. Is it dizzy cause it spins around a lot Roll Eyes

Does anyone have more information on those 356 style empi wheels? Do they have any stampings? Richard Roth are you there.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Cornpanzer

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2009, 02:35:12 am »

Zwitter is nothing new in the states.  I can recall referring to them as Zwitters back in the 80's. 
Dont get me started on OG.  Especially now that the big magazine has validated the misuse of the term by allowing it into print.  Roll Eyes

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2009, 12:49:37 pm »

What eludes me is when early buses became "split windows". WTF? A Split Window VW is and has always been a pre-53 Beetle to me.

I totally agree... I own a splitwindow... an early bug/beetle... not a box on wheels... call them splitscreen vans or whatever, but not splitwindows!!

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
cal-look 56

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2009, 18:17:10 pm »

Fuch will always be alloys
914 fuch will be 2L alloys
close ratio trans will alway be trick tranny's
and IDA's will forever just be known as 48's

Maybe i'm just old too but I cant bring myself to ever say dizzy either.
Tony M

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2009, 18:27:59 pm »

When you say Hearts - i think of early tail lights - the dizzy thing makes me dizzy - do we use USA slang or EUROPE slang ? Im too dizzy  Grin

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
PIMPPRIDE

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2009, 18:45:54 pm »

gas burners... its a recently overused term or name... people are calling 4 lugs... gas burners or baby gas burners... I have always known them as mahles or pedrinis not baby gas burners or 4 lug gas burners... especially since there is a repro 4 lug gas burner now...

Anthony / ISP WEST   
bugnut68

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2009, 19:14:09 pm »

Zwitter is nothing new in the states.  I can recall referring to them as Zwitters back in the 80's. 
Dont get me started on OG.  Especially now that the big magazine has validated the misuse of the term by allowing it into print.  Roll Eyes

Elaborate?  I saw the article on "OG" paint, but how was it misused?
lawrence

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2009, 19:58:33 pm »

I agree that baby gasburners is a dumb name.

As far as I know, OG stands for nothing but Original Gangster. I suppose people can use slang as they choose, but it not difficult to say original. Oh and saying Original German is redundant because our car are German, thus anything Original to them is german by defalt Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
bugnut68

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2009, 20:11:52 pm »

I agree that baby gasburners is a dumb name.

As far as I know, OG stands for nothing but Original Gangster. I suppose people can use slang as they choose, but it not difficult to say original. Oh and saying Original German is redundant because our car are German, thus anything Original to them is german by defalt Grin

I always consider OG standing for Original German, not any of that dumbass rap crap talk.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2009, 20:25:40 pm »

When you say Hearts - i think of early tail lights - the dizzy thing makes me dizzy - do we use USA slang or EUROPE slang ? Im too dizzy  Grin

yeah me too...  hearts are taillights

4-1/2" Fuchs have always been "'67 S alloys" to me

Rennsurfer

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2009, 00:07:11 am »

gas burners... its a recently overused term or name... people are calling 4 lugs... gas burners or baby gas burners... I have always known them as mahles or pedrinis not baby gas burners or 4 lug gas burners... especially since there is a repro 4 lug gas burner now...

Anthony / ISP WEST   

Agreed, Anthony. Always called 'em Mahle or Pedrini wheels. I didn't hear about the gas burner thing till a year and a half back.

~Sarge
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 06:34:48 am »

I just realized I'm "OLD"   Roll Eyes Embarrassed Undecided Cry

Me too buddy....

I call Fuchs Alloys
  I call 5 lug Gas burners Gas burners
  I call 4 lug burners Mahles
  I call heart Taillights Hearts
  I say split window or split for a bug
  I do say zwitter
  I like words like Sano and Clean
  How bout Honey Combs the taillight not the cereal
  I don't say dizzy
  I call patina Rust
  Ha Ha... how bout Hoodride
  Used to would call single cabs kombi's or parts haulers
  Fat Chicks aren't allowed (haven't you seen the stickers???)
  I have used terms like small window for early cars and big window for '65 and later
  I like 'T' bars, euro blades and full bumpers I even like Buggy Bumpers
  A large displacement engine can be a Lump
  I call IDA's, IDA's
  I like quiet packs single or duel I don't like the term Phat boy
  What the hell is with the swamp coolers???
  Porsche hubcaps are Nipples
  I like trigger shifters
  I remember Rossi's
  I call those german wheels Sprint stars
  I do call early sunroof ragtops
  I say vert for convertables
  How 'bout a poptop or a westy
  I call karmahn Ghias, ghias
  I say Heb for hebmuellars (sp)

Jason

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers