The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 07:02:06 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350822 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Another '67 joins the fleet!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Another '67 joins the fleet!  (Read 67566 times)
Ivan

« on: January 31, 2010, 22:20:33 pm »

I owned this car back in '97 as a 25,000 mile from new one owner stocker. It was the best original '67 I'd ever seen. Sadly, I couldn't afford to keep it and my '67, so I had to pass it on. The guy I sold it to took a ride in my '67 shortly after buying the car and... Well, you you now how it is... He wasn't so keen on a stocker by the time we got back!
He got a totally new 2007/45 Dell'Orto FK8 motor built, Kerscher discs, SAW spring plates, KONIs, bla,bla, bla on it. A fresh exterior paintjob. Interior and under the hood/engine bay are OG. And did about 1500 miles in it before parking it in his garage in 1999.
Recently he got back in contact - and I wont go into detail why - but let's just say his circumstances have changed -  to see if I knew anyone who'd be interested in buying it. I asked a few people and then suddenly thought  'What am I doing, I need that car!' I had to sell up a load of cars and parts, and take a loan, but I got the cash together.
I bought it without seeing it since '98 - but as I trusted him I went on his word that it was still really good.
I dragged it out of his garage last Sunday and took it to my friend's workshop - Peter Roberts at Funkenblitz. We 'blitzed' it and re-commisioned it that day. it needed new fuel lines, axles gaiters, a service and the surface rust cleaning off the discs. I also gave the underside a really good detail - and it came up really well.
The car also came with everything he'd taken off, so there's a 25K H series 1493cc motor, beam, decklid, steering wheel and so on.
He told me anything in the garage was mine - so the fully detailed Mahle Gas Burners, new/boxed Porsche pattern front and rear discs and all his tools and roll cab tool boxes are going to come in very handy.
I've got a lot of plans for changes to the car to make it look a bit less gay, but at the moment I'm just detailing everything to get it looking as good as possible.
The interior is truly amazing, it's totally original - from the carpets to the headliner - and looks like a new car. I've spend about an hour trying to find fault with it and there's nothing, not a rip, tear or mark. The only downer, is that it's soon going to click over to 30,000 miles... Grin

After a decade laid-up in a garage it could have been a lot worse than it was. It was back on the road the day after getting it out of the garage and although it was minus 3 degrees and it's got no heating I drove it home feeling warm inside. My feet, hands and head were not so warm though.

I just thought I'd share the story with you guys - enjoy!
Ivan M         
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 22:22:37 pm by Ivan » Logged
Ivan

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 22:24:17 pm »

More pics
Ivan

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 22:25:36 pm »

And a few more
Ivan

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 22:32:14 pm »

It's a UK spec Right Hand Drive car - so has sloping headlights
Ivan

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 22:33:36 pm »

Hope you like it!
Russell

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 23:28:16 pm »

nice car Ivan, pity about the new owner......  Wink

Have fun.

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
streetvw

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 23:59:58 pm »

Ivan is that the one that was featured in the Cal look specail with my brothers car and Nao's oval?

seem to remember that John Maher build the motor?
Ivan

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 00:00:36 am »

nice car Ivan, pity about the new owner......  Wink

Have fun.

Russell

I can only agree with you on that comment.  At least you don't see him every time you look in the mirror!
kev d

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 00:03:04 am »

Nice car matey Cool
Going to make many changes??
Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
bmxnut65

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 00:03:55 am »

That is a very nice car.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Ivan

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 00:06:59 am »

Ivan is that the one that was featured in the Cal look specail with my brothers car and Nao's oval?

seem to remember that John Maher build the motor?
That's the one - John built the engine from scratch and dyno'd it at 155bhp. A good driver rather than an e-ticket ride. It sat at 80 smiles per hour all the way home with plenty to go.
Needs couple of inches out of the beam to tuck the wheels in and short axles with fatter rubber - oh, and the Gas Burners.
How's tricks anyway? Happy New Year and pass it on to Paul. XX
Ivan

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 00:08:29 am »

That is a very nice car.

Thank you, glad you like it.
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 00:09:05 am »

Wow, what a great find. I wish I could have come across one of my old lookers. Sold one at Bug-In 22 and I am sure it is no longer around. That was over 3 decades ago.

What a great car you've regained.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Ivan

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 00:15:55 am »

Nice car matey Cool
Going to make many changes??
Cheers,
Kev
It doesn't need that much - just what I've mentioned really. And then it should be just how I want it. My bank account is well into the redline, so much so the last statement had something I've never seen on a statement before - it simply said 'Valve Bounce'!
What's life for is it isn't for living?
Ivan

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 00:18:26 am »

Wow, what a great find. I wish I could have come across one of my old lookers. Sold one at Bug-In 22 and I am sure it is no longer around. That was over 3 decades ago.

What a great car you've regained.

Rick M

Thanks Rick. Long time no see or speak!
The best bit is that the '67 has had I heart transplant since I owned it! :-)

I hope all is well with you. Still staying away from the sugar?
Dez

Grey Anatomy

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 00:28:35 am »

Nice one Ivan! Gutted I was working away so didn't make use of the Wank Wipes Wink

lawrence

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 01:28:45 am »

The car looks great, but I would pull those accessory bumper guards off. I've never seen the 4 lug sprint stars detailed like that; i like it. Congrats on getting the old car back. I hope that I never have to part with my beetle.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Ivan

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 01:35:21 am »

The car looks great, but I would pull those accessory bumper guards off. I've never seen the 4 lug sprint stars detailed like that; i like it. Congrats on getting the old car back. I hope that I never have to part with my beetle.

They are Flat 4 alloy Sprints and not staying as the Gas Burners which were stacked up in the back of the garage will be going on ASAP. They're painted metallic gunmetal gray like Jim Kaforski's and just needed a decade of oxidisation cleaning off them - after four evening's work they're like chrome (for a week). The Sprints will be for sale as soon as the Gas Burners are on. Five wheels - one with slight curb rash. Like new Michelin 145 and 165s. Caps, nuts the whole kaboodle. Cheap.  And, I do mean cheap.
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 02:35:10 am »

I've got a lot of plans for changes to the car to make it look a bit less gay, ......

Not sure what you're referring to specifically, as it looks pretty nice.  Seems done up nicely.  The wheel and tire combo is different and unique.  Personal taste....  I think it would look sweet with some fuchs and wider rear tires, with some t-bars.   Cool

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Ivan

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 02:38:42 am »

I've got a lot of plans for changes to the car to make it look a bit less gay, ......

Not sure what you're referring to specifically, as it looks pretty nice.  Seems done up nicely.  The wheel and tire combo is different and unique.  Personal taste....  I think it would look sweet with some fuchs and wider rear tires, with some t-bars.   Cool
It's got 165s and needs to go up half an inch and have 205/65s. You know, just to look a bit more purposeful.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 02:52:18 am »

Seriously cool car, Ivan. I'd leave it as is and skip the narrowed beam. But... to each their own.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Fiatdude

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 02:59:07 am »

Just the fact of gettin a '67 with under 30K on it is unbelievable --  Just totally cool

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 08:51:22 am »

Nice car Ivan, have to agree though, when I read the feature I always thought it didn't quite sit 'just so', even though it was obviously a great car and well built. Tucking the front wheels a smidge and the bigger section tyres on the back (along with the gas burners) will give it the look it needed from day one.

Sweet!

Does this mean you'll need someone to drive the biege one?  Wink Cheesy  all you have to do is ask hahaha....

tikimadness

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 09:31:53 am »

That's a nice car Ivan .Looks like you got something to do the next weeks.Plans sound good.

Still doing some  "neuken in de keuken" Grin Grin Grin

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Brother Lovedub

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 09:34:25 am »

What a find........!  Is it Lotus White?

Cant wait to see it on the burners.

I have to agre with others though, apart from the wheels and tyres I'm not sure I'd change much more, my only thought was swap out the white wing beading.

flatfire

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 09:38:39 am »

The gas burners look good without beam mods.

Cool car
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 09:39:05 am »

I have yet to see a car fitted with burners needing any tucking... If anything you will need spacers in the back...  but that's a nice car!!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Rob E

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 10:44:54 am »

awesome!

wondered when this car would reappear!  Smiley

dont suppose it came with the original 67 only stock hubcaps? and youd like to donate them to my low mileage savanna beige 67?  Grin

glad its back on the scene  Smiley
Rob E

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 10:56:12 am »

They are Flat 4 alloy Sprints and not staying as the Gas Burners which were stacked up in the back of the garage will be going on ASAP. They're painted metallic gunmetal gray like Jim Kaforski's and just needed a decade of oxidisation cleaning off them - after four evening's work they're like chrome (for a week). The Sprints will be for sale as soon as the Gas Burners are on. Five wheels - one with slight curb rash. Like new Michelin 145 and 165s. Caps, nuts the whole kaboodle. Cheap.  And, I do mean cheap.

keep me posted on the wheels Wink
Ivan

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 13:49:53 pm »

What a find........!  Is it Lotus White?

Cant wait to see it on the burners.

I have to agre with others though, apart from the wheels and tyres I'm not sure I'd change much more, my only thought was swap out the white wing beading.

Yes it is Lotus white - and still has the original sticker under the washer bottle behind the spare wheel. The white wing beading won't be going anywhere though - as that is how the car came when new.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: