The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 22:49:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Thurber's 63
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Thurber's 63  (Read 41629 times)
RobtheManx

« on: October 04, 2011, 21:14:47 pm »

Hi all , does anyone have any idea what the colour of Mark Thurbers bug was . My wife is trying to choose a colour for her bug .

Cheers , Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 21:32:41 pm »

a metallic brown
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 21:35:06 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Flow

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 22:07:56 pm »

Woaaaa the Aronson's car with Goodyear is AWESOME !!!!  Shocked Shocked

nicolas

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:45:41 am »

i thought they called it 'roothbeer' in the callook book, not sure i that is a colourname after all. but it was also the inspiration for my fastbacks brown.
70slooker

hello

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:36:49 am »

not trying to highjack this good topic, im sorry if anyones cranky for the question, but would any of the original guys recall what kinda bracket set up yas were using for the front licence plate, ive tried many attempts but they all smacked the hood in the wind, please if anyone can help me out pm me or whatever floats your boat!

once again im sorry but these pics pegged my interest

Zündfolge Car Club
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:53:22 am »

not trying to highjack this good topic, im sorry if anyones cranky for the question, but would any of the original guys recall what kinda bracket set up yas were using for the front licence plate, ive tried many attempts but they all smacked the hood in the wind, please if anyone can help me out pm me or whatever floats your boat!

I ran a similar setup when I ran t-bars on my '67. I used an extra pair of the tubes that ran from the top of the uprights to the bumper brackets on US bumpers. I increased the bend where the tubes met the overriders. The other ends I bolted to the drain holes in the spare tire well using large fender washers to distribute the weight and stabilize the plate.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
H67bug

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 08:23:32 am »

Believe it to be Ford Roman Bronze ...

like this homage car

RobtheManx

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 08:38:56 am »

Thanks for the help , I'll check out the ford colour . Don't mind the thread hijack , I was wondering that too. I think we're gonna go for buggy bumpers , so I'll hang the plate from that .
She can't choose between Metallic brown or a Street Dragon style green.

Cheers , Rob

SPG Roller Cranks rarely live long!
Neil Davies

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:14:48 am »

Believe it to be Ford Roman Bronze ...

like this homage car

I can't see the picture here at work (photobucket is blocked by the school firewall) but I'm guessing that it's one of Steve Bodycote's '63. If it is, I can tell you that it was definately Ford Roman Bronze, applied by a garage in Kidderminster. It had a Bernie interior and a Stateside Tuning 1776. In it's previous Fontana Grey incarnation it had one of the first sets of MWS BRMs - it ran on polished fives first because MWS hadn't got the wheels ready! One of my favourite cars, in both the guises it was in our club, although I've not seen it for years!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 13:12:26 pm »

Was Thurber's car the same colour before he lost the trim?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Sarge

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 14:31:57 pm »

I remember Mark's car as being more bronze then brown.  Here's some old pics ...

DKP III
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 15:14:24 pm »

WOW. That's a GREAT looking ride. Soooooo many cool details! Thanks for posting those, Sarge. Made my morning Smiley

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 15:19:17 pm »

Whatever happened to the car? Would be a great car to find/restore Smiley

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 17:20:49 pm »

cool pict bro thx for sharing  Wink

Sarge

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 17:35:38 pm »

My pleasure guys!  Here's a couple more pics I found... looks like the BRM spokes were painted dark brown.  Having worked with Mark at Commonwealth VW for many years, we talked about his car a lot.  I want to say the color was a Mopar selection and that the car no longer exists.  Looking closely, the car appears to be a 1965 (license light), too.  We both remember punching off from many traffic lights together back then.... Grin Cool
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 17:40:33 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 18:06:25 pm »

when seeing that last picture of mark's dashboard , i just remember i ever saw this one somewhere   Shocked

here we go , it was in volksworld  in teh report how to create a real cal looker  Grin
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 18:17:50 pm by speedwell » Logged

johnl

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 18:20:03 pm »

I ran a similar setup when I ran t-bars on my '67. I used an extra pair of the tubes that ran from the top of the uprights to the bumper brackets on US bumpers. I increased the bend where the tubes met the overriders. The other ends I bolted to the drain holes in the spare tire well using large fender washers to distribute the weight and stabilize the plate.

The statement above is as I remember it.  Jim Edmiston was the first I remember doing such and I followed when I created the Butternut car.  Photo attached.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 18:39:32 pm »

The statement above is as I remember it.  Jim Edmiston was the first I remember doing such and I followed when I created the Butternut car.  Photo attached.

Geez and I thought I had come up with this on my own!  Huh  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 20:16:25 pm »

Looks like a '64 to me, if the deckild is correct to the car.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 20:42:33 pm »

x2 and the windows  mounts are the bigger one , not the small one like the one a 65

RhoadsVW

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 22:25:13 pm »

I like the second picture the best with the DRF decals in the windows.  Grin

Der Renwagen Fuhrers
Sarge

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 22:41:50 pm »

I called Mark... his car was a 1962 that he added a later model license light surround to so it would look like a '67.

DKP III
nlvtinman

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 02:07:02 am »

As I look at the first posted photo, Mark's car with full bumpers and not yet lowered, and Gregs car in the earliest stages of it's transition to it's iconic future self, does anyone know what year that photo might have been taken in?
lawrence

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 03:09:41 am »

Sarge, those pics are real neat.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
johnl

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 04:16:59 am »

As I look at the first posted photo, Mark's car with full bumpers and not yet lowered, and Gregs car in the earliest stages of it's transition to it's iconic future self, does anyone know what year that photo might have been taken in?

I'm thinking late 1969 or early 1970.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
kingsburgphil

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 05:36:45 am »

when seeing that last picture of mark's dashboard , i just remember i ever saw this one somewhere   Shocked

here we go , it was in volksworld  in teh report how to create a real cal looker  Grin
In it's last incarnation Mark's car had a engine turned brass dashboard, which looked bitchen in his car. I don't recall the number, but the dash
took beaucoup hours to complete.
70slooker

hello

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 05:48:53 am »

i never even thought about using the uprights!! thanks guys thats awsome!

another question on all the famous early cars running berg linkages across the fan mount they all seem to have bolt on eyes holding the linkage rod, i have two sets of earlies but they both have welded on tabs, was this a custom change for these guys or did berg just use this style between productions??

Zündfolge Car Club
So.Cal.Life

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 06:32:30 am »

Back in 1974 Mark sold his car to a classmate  of mine Rick Goodin for $1400.00 , a few months later Rick rear ended someone, fixing the car at Beckers cost Rick another $1400.00 bucks, he kept the car another year or so, (many good times with it,) sold it oddly enough, for $1400.00  I lost track of it about 1979 . That car was a steal at the price, when Mark sold it to Rick it had a strong running 1600cc Holley Bug spray motor, chrome wheels with the hubcap-lugnut area painted black , the brass engine turned dash was done by Mark himself , you have to do work like that yourself to realize what a labor of love it was-is , it was a great car, built by a great guy. During my time working at F.A.T. he helped me in so many ways, Thank You, MarkThurber,     KG
H67bug

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 07:36:18 am »

I can't see the picture here at work (photobucket is blocked by the school firewall) but I'm guessing that it's one of Steve Bodycote's '63. If it is, I can tell you that it was definately Ford Roman Bronze, applied by a garage in Kidderminster. It had a Bernie interior and a Stateside Tuning 1776. In it's previous Fontana Grey incarnation it had one of the first sets of MWS BRMs - it ran on polished fives first because MWS hadn't got the wheels ready! One of my favourite cars, in both the guises it was in our club, although I've not seen it for years!
[/quote]

Hi

It was sold on in a serious of trades and when I last saw it had lost much of the cars cal look influence and had a lot of questionable (IMO) custom touches.

SOme great history shared here- thanks Grin
nicolas

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 11:52:27 am »

funny how the colour of the english 63 is probably the same as mine... i was inspired like i said by the callook book of Keith many years ago and somehow that colour or idea stuck so much to paint it that way, i didn't look the colour up from Mark's car, but i flipped through hundreds of colourcharts and paintcodes from all different brands and always kept coming back to this brown (the original intention was to keep the seasand colour or a mettalic hue of seasand, but none stoud out as much as this brown). so in the end i chose what i really liked and that was a US ford colour. i had a paintcode, but never bothered to write it down...
when i had to change the decklid for a correct one i had to repaint it and the colour of the car was scanned. they didn't come up with the ford colour, but with a audi 80 or 100 colour from 83/84, which is also cool in my opinion.
and yes Marks car is more bronze then brown in all the other pictures i have seen afterwards. so it was somewhat of an inspiration, and it is cool to hear that there is a similar coloured bug in england, i didn't know... maybe in the future even 2...  Grin there is also a similar, but lighter one that comes from Switzerland and that was featured in ultra some years ago.

sorry for rambling.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: