The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 21:18:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  How much money to run 10s in a street car?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Print
Author Topic: How much money to run 10s in a street car?  (Read 459299 times)
richie

« on: July 08, 2012, 17:01:47 pm »

Along time ago I posted how much it cost me to run 10s driving to the track and back in a street car,just bolting on the slicks at the track,stinger for muffler,and turning on the nitrous,at the time it caused lots of negative BS mainly from those internet experts who never did anything,but knew it all Roll Eyes.

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday suggesting I should do it again just to see what it would cost now,and offered his car as the donor,but how do you put a value on an existing car,which already has a good gearbox/axles/brakes etc.

So I am thinking of doing it,but starting from scratch,buy a car,build it,drive it,race it and see how quick it will go,nothing to exotic,still N/A type 1 with a bottle added to add a little more hp,type 1 trans,stock style suspension,just off the shelf shocks,urethane bushings etc.

I will look for a later model year car,but anything will be considered,it will be IRS as thats what I know but no other major changes,and my idea is to document everything I buy,my time is free and wont be added to the cost.

So how much will it cost?  what suggestions does anyone have for a combination that will get it done? what can I get away with parts wise thats cheap? is a normal chromoly crank good enough? mag case or alluminium? heads?  efi or carbs? the cost for carbs and msd isnt much different to efi now is it?

What about the gearbox? stock late mainshaft? or does it need an expensive aftermarket shaft? super diff? or quaife or ZF? gusseted case?

Wheels? Ercos or something else? gasburners would be nice Grin but may be to pricy slicks or drag radials?

Cage? seats? what else can you think of?

I would try to buy as much used stuff as I can to keep the cost down

So feel free to give me you thoughts/opinions etc?

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 17:08:21 pm »

Very interested thread dude - I'll keep an eye on this one  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 17:14:22 pm »

Keep it as light as possible!

And it's almost free also  Grin

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
richie

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 17:33:54 pm »

Keep it as light as possible!

And it's almost free also  Grin

But light cars crash Shocked Wink  the old car was around 1000kg with driver any less than that will help Smiley

cheers richie

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 17:47:45 pm »

Cool idea Richie! Lots of cred to you if you go all the way to the goal with this tread Smiley

This is my estimate, based on the Norwegian marked:

A solid 1302 71/72, stripped as much as possible, 30000,-NOK / 4000EUR
Good Used bus trans 002/091 5000,- NOK / 666EUR
Engine
Big bore oxy boxer, FK89, used Superflow heads, high comp (>13:1), E85, IDA 48, 50 000,- NOK / 6666 EUR
Wheels 10 000,- NOK /1333EUR
Div stuff 15 000,- NOK/2000EUR

Sum estimate 110 000,- NOK / 14665EUR

Of course, with this setup, you get only one race, as there is no safety added, and you will get disqualified after the first run Wink
So maybe add safety for 10000,- NOK /1333EUR

Keep us updated Smiley

Berger

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
richie

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 17:57:34 pm »

Cool idea Richie! Lots of cred to you if you go all the way to the goal with this tread Smiley

This is my estimate, based on the Norwegian marked:

A solid 1302 71/72, stripped as much as possible, 30000,-NOK / 4000EUR
Good Used bus trans 002/091 5000,- NOK / 666EUR
Engine
Big bore oxy boxer, FK89, used Superflow heads, high comp (>13:1), E85, IDA 48, 50 000,- NOK / 6666 EUR
Wheels 10 000,- NOK /1333EUR
Div stuff 15 000,- NOK/2000EUR

Sum estimate 110 000,- NOK / 14665EUR

Of course, with this setup, you get only one race, as there is no safety added, and you will get disqualified after the first run Wink
So maybe add safety for 10000,- NOK /1333EUR

Keep us updated Smiley

Berger

Excellent,thankyou Mr berger Grin

Thats the input I was hoping for,I am thinking more a 12oo model71-72 year as its tax exempt here,and proberly the lightest version to start with,always a bonus.

And here at test n tune/rwyb they dont seem to worry about cage etc legalities so I should get a chance to at least back it up if I manage it Cheesy I am sure you have seen the pictures of t shirt only drivers on the strip Shocked

I think the wbx case has issues due to the strange bearing configuration,and type 1 mains was plenty before,those style cranks are cheap enough,but i will look into it some more as you suggested it

and the e85 seems to be getting harder to get here,a little less compression will allow me to fill the chamber with more gas Grin

cheers richie

tikimadness

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 18:06:50 pm »

I think when you borrow Jo's red car and sneak in that blue bottle you're there Grin Grin

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
richie

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 18:17:48 pm »

I think when you borrow Jo's red car and sneak in that blue bottle you're there Grin Grin

Michael

But the shipping it back here and then back over there again without her knowing would be expensive and difficult Wink

cheers richie

richie

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 18:23:52 pm »

So I have been rummaging around through old shite in boxes,so far I have found the old header,the intake manifolds[heads are long gone] the cam[was swapped out when I went turbo] and I still have the nitrous set up,but want to do it with whats available now so proberly wont use it

Fonz can I have my gearbox and throttle bodies back?  Cheesy

Frank I need those axles and cvs as well?  Grin

Kev you dont need that crank/flywheel and rods for a while do you?

I do actually still know were alot of it is but that would defeat the object of this if I do it.

Mmmm a wet miserable rainy day isnt good for the bank account Shocked

cheers richie

tikimadness

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 18:26:00 pm »

What kind of engine size is needed do you think? Small with a lot of nitrous or big with less.

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 18:30:36 pm »

Just wondering if it would be possible WITHOUT the blue bottle  Huh ie just Carbs or EFI  Undecided

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 18:33:54 pm »

give russ a ring and buy his car, job done

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 18:34:28 pm »

Great idea Mr Webb. I can donate a tig welded bolt-in style cage believed to be from Lummus. It's the same type as in Ivan McCutcheon's '67. Better than nothing, but probably not Msa spec. Yours if you need it Wink

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 18:36:24 pm »

Just wondering if it would be possible WITHOUT the blue bottle  Huh ie just Carbs or EFI  Undecided

Yes.

Light car and 300hp NA.

BIG engine tuned to perfection.

LARGE throttlebodies

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
richie

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 18:50:02 pm »

Anything is possible,
the idea is not to spend a fortune on a firework with a short fuse Shocked,hence the title,if you want to build a 10sec N/A engine and try then go for it but thats not what i am trying to do, the idea is it will be streetable N/A and able to drive a fair distance on pump gas,the bottle will give the extra needed to run the number.

I have no desire to put a highly strung N/A engine in a crisp packet and see how quickly it will blow away Cheesy

What i would like this to be is something within reach of a good percentage of people on here,not that they will want to do it but looking at the skills of alot of the projects
 "in the werks" shows me theres alot who could do something like this if they wanted to Smiley

cheers richie 

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 18:50:50 pm »

It is, just look at Jussis old split, 10,4 with a type 4 and ida's Smiley no nos there

-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
richie

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 18:52:43 pm »

What kind of engine size is needed do you think? Small with a lot of nitrous or big with less.

Michael

2276ish and a medium shot of gas in a 1800lb car would do it easy,not using anything exotic is the idea Smiley

cheers richie

richie

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 18:53:56 pm »

Russ who? I dont know anyone called Russ whos car fits the description I gave?

richie

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 18:55:20 pm »

Great idea Mr Webb. I can donate a tig welded bolt-in style cage believed to be from Lummus. It's the same type as in Ivan McCutcheon's '67. Better than nothing, but probably not Msa spec. Yours if you need it Wink

Thanks Matt,if you can advertise it for a pound in the for sale section so it has a value I can write down Cheesy

richie

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 18:58:15 pm »

It is, just look at Jussis old split, 10,4 with a type 4 and ida's Smiley no nos there

There you go,not sure the budget will stretch to a split though Wink  I really dont know much about the engine in that car,how streetable was it?

Lee havent you got a split? start gathering those type 4 parts and we will see you with it at scc next year?

cheers richie

Andy Sykes

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 19:04:00 pm »

Dannyboy inst far off it fingers crossed he will get a ten this weekend I may be wrong but I think the is at about 14k build cost

Cheers andy

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
richie

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 19:09:08 pm »

Dannyboy inst far off it fingers crossed he will get a ten this weekend I may be wrong but I think the is at about 14k build cost

Cheers andy

Thanks Andy,good comparission,dont plan on anything that shiny though Smiley

Dannyyou there?

you need to start driving it to the  track now before i beat you to it Cheesy

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 19:11:33 pm »

There you go,not sure the budget will stretch to a split though Wink  I really dont know much about the engine in that car,how streetable was it?

Lee havent you got a split? start gathering those type 4 parts and we will see you with it at scc next year?

cheers richie

Split or not, just match the weight Wink
I know the same engine was used for circut racing, so it was durable al right. I don't know much about the details inside the engine, beside it was a big volume. But give Jussi a call, I'm sure he likes your idea! Smiley

-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 19:17:56 pm »

Fellows

Lee.C

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 19:21:19 pm »

cheers richie

Not any more  Cry its in the process of moving on to its new owner in Belguim  Cry But it does mean I can finally get on and build a proper Cal Looker for myself - anyway I do get your points about the N/A 10's Smiley

Like I said I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

richie

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 19:25:04 pm »

Fellows

Is it for sale then?

Micheal you puzzle me sometimes,did you actually read what I wrote in the 1st post? the idea is to build a car,not buy one,and to see how cheap it is,i cant see Russ selling his car for a few grand can you? and with a pauter cased,autocraft 910 headed watercooled turbo efi engine with porsche gearbox it hardly "not exotic" is it?  and I wont be doing anything watercooled,thats just not what i am into Smiley

thanks for your input though Smiley

cheers richie

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 19:51:33 pm »

Fellows

Is it for sale then?

Micheal you puzzle me sometimes,did you actually read what I wrote in the 1st post? the idea is to build a car,not buy one,and to see how cheap it is,i cant see Russ selling his car for a few grand can you? and with a pauter cased,autocraft 910 headed watercooled turbo efi engine with porsche gearbox it hardly "not exotic" is it?  and I wont be doing anything watercooled,thats just not what i am into Smiley

thanks for your input though Smiley

cheers richie

LOL

thehanz DVK

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 19:54:15 pm »

now this is intresting  Grin  like the 10 second tought and the blue bottle....this is a thread to follow....

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
richie

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 20:03:06 pm »

now this is intresting  Grin  like the 10 second tought and the blue bottle....this is a thread to follow....

your thread did move the thought nearer the front of my brain,so you are partly responsible for my actions Cheesy Grin no luxury of a 5 speed here though,I will have to out up with the noise of a short 4th gear Cry Wink

cheers richie

thehanz DVK

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 20:08:25 pm »

your thread did move the thought nearer the front of my brain,so you are partly responsible for my actions Cheesy Grin no luxury of a 5 speed here though,I will have to out up with the noise of a short 4th gear Cry Wink

cheers richie

sorry about that... Grin Grin  for me it is the once in a lifetime car with as les limits as possible (for me that is)  , you will go to scc ?? then i drop by for a nitro talk, and a beer

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: