The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 06:38:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350829 Posts in 28602 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  what are you talking about??????
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: what are you talking about??????  (Read 20857 times)
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2009, 07:23:16 am »

N.O.S. and NOS can be confusing. A friend of mine confronted me the other day and mentioned he had some NOS parts for sale; if i would be interested. Found out, it's for laughing gas!
Here's another. Got some tornados mounted on a set of TWM's! OOOhhh Yaaaa!

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2009, 15:25:08 pm »

I just realized I'm "OLD"   Roll Eyes Embarrassed Undecided Cry

Me too buddy....

I call Fuchs Alloys
  I call 5 lug Gas burners Gas burners
  I call 4 lug burners Mahles
  I call heart Taillights Hearts
  I say split window or split for a bug
  I do say zwitter
  I like words like Sano and Clean
  How bout Honey Combs the taillight not the cereal
  I don't say dizzy
  I call patina Rust
  Ha Ha... how bout Hoodride
  Used to would call single cabs kombi's or parts haulers
  Fat Chicks aren't allowed (haven't you seen the stickers???)
  I have used terms like small window for early cars and big window for '65 and later
  I like 'T' bars, euro blades and full bumpers I even like Buggy Bumpers
  A large displacement engine can be a Lump
  I call IDA's, IDA's
  I like quiet packs single or duel I don't like the term Phat boy
  What the hell is with the swamp coolers???
  Porsche hubcaps are Nipples
  I like trigger shifters
  I remember Rossi's
  I call those german wheels Sprint stars
  I do call early sunroof ragtops
  I say vert for convertables
  How 'bout a poptop or a westy
  I call karmahn Ghias, ghias
  I say Heb for hebmuellars (sp)

Jason

I'm right with you Jason...

We could have a conversation and actually understand each other Cheesy

~Dave

Cornpanzer

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2009, 22:53:49 pm »

I agree that baby gasburners is a dumb name.

As far as I know, OG stands for nothing but Original Gangster. I suppose people can use slang as they choose, but it not difficult to say original. Oh and saying Original German is redundant because our car are German, thus anything Original to them is german by defalt Grin

I always consider OG standing for Original German, not any of that dumbass rap crap talk.

You guys are probably sick of hearing me preach about this, but it really gets under my skin.

OG is original gangster. OG became a popular slang term and somehow it was adopted by the Samba audience.  The Samba tried to legitimize the term by saying it was "original german"...but it wasn't and isn't.  Besides, half the time people use "OG" to describe BRM's, Empi parts, and other speed parts or old wheels...none of which are German!    If you want to abbreviate "original" you do it like this - "orig." 

Slang is annoying enough on the internet, but one very basic rule of professional writing is that slang should not be used, especially slang that will be unfamiliar to a large portion of your audience.  Often times, slang is specific to a region or culture or age group.  For example the long time debate over "pop" or "soda"  In Ohio, people say pop.  In PA, they say soda.  If you were writing a magazine story, you wouldnt say either because they are both slang.  You could use a name brand like Pepsi, or simply say soft-drink.

When I was in high school, one of my buddies always described cool cars as "tits".  (That 57 chevy is just tits!)  Write a story about that 57 Chevy in a magaizine and use the term "tits" and half or more of your audience would be wondering what that means.  Of course, they could use the context to interpret the meaning, but you shouldnt expect your audience to have to do this. 

Anyway...off my soapbox.  I am in a mood today

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
bugnut68

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2009, 23:17:47 pm »

I agree that baby gasburners is a dumb name.

As far as I know, OG stands for nothing but Original Gangster. I suppose people can use slang as they choose, but it not difficult to say original. Oh and saying Original German is redundant because our car are German, thus anything Original to them is german by defalt Grin

I always consider OG standing for Original German, not any of that dumbass rap crap talk.

You guys are probably sick of hearing me preach about this, but it really gets under my skin.

OG is original gangster. OG became a popular slang term and somehow it was adopted by the Samba audience.  The Samba tried to legitimize the term by saying it was "original german"...but it wasn't and isn't.  Besides, half the time people use "OG" to describe BRM's, Empi parts, and other speed parts or old wheels...none of which are German!    If you want to abbreviate "original" you do it like this - "orig." 

Slang is annoying enough on the internet, but one very basic rule of professional writing is that slang should not be used, especially slang that will be unfamiliar to a large portion of your audience.  Often times, slang is specific to a region or culture or age group.  For example the long time debate over "pop" or "soda"  In Ohio, people say pop.  In PA, they say soda.  If you were writing a magazine story, you wouldnt say either because they are both slang.  You could use a name brand like Pepsi, or simply say soft-drink.

When I was in high school, one of my buddies always described cool cars as "tits".  (That 57 chevy is just tits!)  Write a story about that 57 Chevy in a magaizine and use the term "tits" and half or more of your audience would be wondering what that means.  Of course, they could use the context to interpret the meaning, but you shouldnt expect your audience to have to do this. 

Anyway...off my soapbox.  I am in a mood today

Welp, I don't know about all of that, but the only thing I can think to say is pass it along to Hot VWs.
 I really don't know if too many car guys take the formatting of car magazines all that seriously -- I know I don't -- as one of my biggest pet peeves of some of the mags out there is they don't really have a lot of "grassroots appeal" in terms of their layout; I'm thinking in terms of Hot Rod and Car Craft and how different their layout and design is now as opposed to years ago. 
It looks too, I don't know how else to put it, "serious" and fancy pants in terms of its look. Reminds me of the "high tech" look that the "ricer" magazines initialized.
 I prefer magazines that are a little lighter in tone and nature, which is why I don't read publications like Excellence and European Car (actually, that's mainly because I'm not a Porsche guy, but whatever). 
For me, car magazines should be just like the gearheads that read them, simple, lighthearted and not something that a person's going to wear white gloves in order to read.  Which isn't to say that curb appeal isn't a good thing, I just don't like publcations that take themselves too seriously, as we're talking about Volkswagens here, not multimillion dollar Rolls Royce or exotic European luxury models.
But hey, that's just my two cents.  We all have our opinions.
Cornpanzer

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 23:23:18 pm »

Nahh, not bashing HVW's - thats a running gag between Deano and me...the whole OG thing.  For some reason that specific one just winds me up.  It just seems so made up, thats all. 

If everyone else can obsess about Fuchs/Alloys, I can obsess about OG. 

I loved Hot Rod too.  Now that Freiburger is back, it should get fun again.  With that being said, you can be light-hearted without butchering the english language.     

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 23:28:14 pm by Cornpanzer » Logged

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Gary Justus

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2009, 23:28:05 pm »

O.G. Dave...........What's the problem Cheesy
Cornpanzer

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2009, 23:28:43 pm »

Too much pop I guess. 

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Gary Justus

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2009, 23:34:22 pm »

hehehe!!!!
bugnut68

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2009, 23:41:05 pm »

I hear ya, Cornpanzer, I often get carried away in my responses... sometimes the mood just takes off with me.

Maybe this would be a good time to come up with a slang term for stingers: Bug Boners?   Grin
Cornpanzer

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2009, 00:01:12 am »

Ha!  I can get on board with that one!  Grin

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Jim Ratto

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2009, 00:17:53 am »

.  I am in a mood today

because of Michael Jackson? The OG soul kid?

sorry... had to.

bye Dave,
JR
Carlos De Alba

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2009, 00:20:47 am »

.  I am in a mood today

sorry... had to.

bye Dave,
JR

so you got time to fuck around on the lounge but you don't have time to reply to my emails?Huh you biatch............. Angry Angry Angry

Ok..... Back to topic............sorry guys!!!  sometimes you got to slap someone around.........carry on.......

Der Kleiner Panzers
Stephan S

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2009, 00:24:58 am »

Dave, you may hate this, but...
Before "OG" stood (or not) for "Original Gangsta" or "Original German", it stood for "Original Guard".
Original Guard has been used with the lowrider community for a long time.

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jim Ratto

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2009, 00:46:43 am »

.  I am in a mood today

sorry... had to.

bye Dave,
JR

so you got time to fuck around on the lounge but you don't have time to reply to my emails?Huh you biatch............. Angry Angry Angry

Ok..... Back to topic............sorry guys!!!  sometimes you got to slap someone around.........carry on.......

who are you?
Cornpanzer

« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2009, 01:02:52 am »

Before "OG" stood (or not) for "Original Gangsta" or "Original German", it stood for "Original Guard".

Hmmm learn something new every day - what did Original Guard mean?

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Stephan S

« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2009, 01:12:02 am »

Hmmm learn something new every day - what did Original Guard mean?

Old Guard... In opposition with the new(er) style of lowriders, such as Honda Civics with gold rims, etc.
The Old Guard would be the owners of traditional lowriders, known as Bombs. Cars packed with vintage accessories... German Folks Klub sytle!
 Smiley
Mainly pre-1955 Chevy four-doors, without hydraulics - at least most of them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:14:56 am by Stephan S » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
youngnstudly

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2009, 18:53:14 pm »

Mainly pre-1955 Chevy four-doors, without hydraulics - at least most of them.

I am not very familar with a lot of the newer terms (probably because I was raised traditionally...Oops, I mean "oldskool" Roll Eyes) and I didn't have internet access until a few years ago (when I was already into my 20's-I still don't have a cell phone! Wink). One of the things that has confused me beyond belief, is the fact that all of the hip-hop and "new" generation people (ppl  Huh) drive cars that are referred to as "sic", yet they ALWAYS  have 4 doors and 90% of the time they have an automatic transmission (they can't even drive a "stick")! Shocked I won't even mention the fact that they take extreme pride in driving a car that they don't own, can't work on, don't know how to drive (check out auto accident statistics), and don't even take care of! In my book, you're a slob that should be embarrassed and instead they think it's "badass (fool)." And don't get me started on the cars having TV's and huge stereos (I mean "boomboxes-how silly of me! Embarrassed) and peely window tint, rims that cost more than the car (and look ridiculous in the process!), and the sound of a China-made stainless muffler on a knocking/smoking 4 cylinder that has 200,000 miles on it and has been "chipped" (high performance computer chip) etc.

As for VW's I always picked up on terms I used from the magazines, friends, or going to swap meets. I never thought about it much, but "they" have been slowly adding terms that "we" are accepting and using on a regular basis. I like to think I can converse with just about any (but the most extreme) VW enthusiast and  we can hold a conversion. I always like talking to someone who was a part of the early VW "scene" and hearing terms like "Variant", "fiberglass-bodied dune buggy", "tuned exhuast", "2-liter" or how about "Weber-motor"? Some guys are way out of my league though, when it comes to VW lingo. It seems even the term Cal-look and "resto-custom" are sometimes used interchangeably, while other guys think Cal-look means having a stinger and color-matched bumpers, or an emblem that says "Cal-look." I don't know...And frankly, I don't wanna! Wink Stepping down now, more confused than ever  Grin....

-Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2009, 19:16:23 pm »

how about "ploarizing" generators? How's that for OLD?
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2009, 01:22:16 am »

how about "ploarizing" generators? How's that for OLD?

Yep, that's old... you could "tweak" the voltage regulator too Grin

~DR.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2009, 01:30:52 am »

how about "polarizing" generators? How's that for OLD?

Yep. Used to get many people asking about that when I worked at the various VW garages/dealers/parts shops. You were around in the late '70s? Methinks you're lying about your age, old man.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2009, 15:46:01 pm »

OG is Original Gangsta, taken from "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka". Funny flick!!

Has anyone noticed all of the "Mafias" as of late? It started a few years back with "The Barndoor Mafia", which I could get on board with. But now it has spread like wildfire... FCM (Fat Chick Mafia), 58-59 Mafia, 13 Window Mafia, etc. Seems like everyone is in or wants to be in a Mafia. So at the Classic weekend when I was drinking heavily I decided to compound the problem. For 3 solid days everything became Mafias to me, 100mm Mafia ('55 and earlier VW's with the massive fuel caps), '67 Mafia, Super Beetle Mafia, and I know there were many that weren't even remotely related to VW's, but the beer seemed to erase those memories. All I can remember is that my gut hurt from laughing so hard! Grin Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2009, 16:10:42 pm »

how about "polarizing" generators? How's that for OLD?

Yep. Used to get many people asking about that when I worked at the various VW garages/dealers/parts shops. You were around in the late '70s? Methinks you're lying about your age, old man.

Grin

no I started screwing up VW's in 1986, but was a disciple of John Muir book....many a generator run like motors on the garage floor.  Grin
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2009, 16:25:56 pm »

Has anyone noticed all of the "Mafias" as of late? It started a few years back with "The Barndoor Mafia", which I could get on board with. But now it has spread like wildfire... FCM (Fat Chick Mafia), 58-59 Mafia, 13 Window Mafia, etc. Seems like everyone is in or wants to be in a Mafia. So at the Classic weekend when I was drinking heavily I decided to compound the problem. For 3 solid days everything became Mafias to me, 100mm Mafia ('55 and earlier VW's with the massive fuel caps), '67 Mafia, Super Beetle Mafia, and I know there were many that weren't even remotely related to VW's, but the beer seemed to erase those memories. All I can remember is that my gut hurt from laughing so hard! Grin Grin

Have you seen the latest Mafia?

I gotta git one of them t-shirts fur sure!

-jeffrey

lawrence

« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2009, 18:59:22 pm »

ALL of that samba, mafia stuff is pretty lame. Legends in their own mind.

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2009, 19:59:37 pm »

Hahaha!! That's great!!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2009, 00:38:06 am »

ALL of that samba, mafia stuff is pretty lame. Legends in their own showers.

Forgive me, Lawrence... but I fixed your post.

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
DKK - Lisa
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2009, 07:06:12 am »

Have you seen the latest Mafia?

I gotta git one of them t-shirts fur sure!

-jeffrey

Jeffrey, you're a hoot!  You need to move back to So Cal... I miss your cleverness!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: