The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:18:21 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Out of the Cocoon or How I spent My Saturday
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Out of the Cocoon or How I spent My Saturday  (Read 115946 times)
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« on: October 15, 2006, 05:07:39 am »

Most of you guys know the story of my '67. For those of you who don't here's the quick version. Bought it in '77 and quickly Cal-Looked it. It was a staple at VW events in the late '70s / early '80s. I was active in DKK during the those years and we were the premier Cal-Look club of that era... fitting in between the DKP eras. and winning most represented club at the last 4 Bug-Ins at OCIR.

This is how it looked then.

One month after the last Bug-In, I crashed it driving to work. I moved the car to the carport next to my parents house and it's sat there ever since that day.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 08:30:40 am by DKK Rick » Logged

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 05:12:46 am »

Well, today a new chapter started... my old pal Bill Schwimmer came over and we (along with my 10 y.o. son Anthony) took it out and moved it to the garage to assess it's current condition and start it back on the road to being a running, surviving Cal-Look car. I've included some pictures...

The resting spot

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 05:18:06 am »

Out from under the crap and the car cover... this is the first time I viewed the car in about 10 years... when we replaced the car cover that had rotted off of it with the current one...

Still proudly sporting the DKK Club Sticker

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 05:23:02 am »

This is the first time I've been inside since November 1983...

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 05:26:22 am »

So much do you think this stuff would fetch on ebay???  Grin

NO THEY'RE NOT FOR SALE!!

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 05:33:14 am »

So the first problem was that because the tires were flat, the beam/sway bar was on the ground. So we decide to put a dolly under the front wheel we could get to, lift the back end on a floor jack, swing it to the left, and then pull it back until we could get a dolly on the right front wheel.

Ready to Roll

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 05:37:50 am »

Out on the driveway

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 05:42:37 am »

Ok... let's rinse it and get the first layer of dirt off.. first bath in 23 years.

All in all a good days work... although there was many a spider killed during this operation.

Thanks again Bill. I would not have attempted this with out you!

Rick

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 05:46:57 am »

If you're curious, there's more pictures at my Fotki pages.

http://public.fotki.com/RacerRick/my_cars/67-vw/out-of-the-cocoon/

lawrence

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 06:54:59 am »

So do you plan on just fixing the damaged portion and leaving everything else intact because after being washed the car actually looks quite presentable in that rear 2/3 shot . You might want to ditch that louvered firewall though. Wink Its also rather nuts that you hadn't seen the inside of your car for more years than I have been on this earth. 21 years on the 29th....haha

That is very cool, Rick. Thanks for sharing and good luck!!

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 08:59:30 am »

Is that what they call unearthing!!! Keep us posted on the progress!!! Car looks bitchin!!!!
Georg/DFL

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 09:47:55 am »

Hi Rick,

good to see you back in business!  Cheesy And hard to imagine that you didn't touch the car for over 20 years even though it was always in your possession. Keep us posted!
Cheers,

Georg

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Russell

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 10:06:05 am »

Rick

Glad to see you turn the page and remove the cover, shes a gem, get her on the road thats where she belongs, good luck and hope the car brings your son into our passion as well.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Regards

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Gregor/DFL

No comment...

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 11:34:48 am »

Wow-thatīs amazing. Hope that the car will be on the road again in the future! Please keep us updated-very interesting to get the impression of wrenching a "genuine"Cal Looker back to life! At least you have the mental support of all guys being around on the Lounge Grin

1965 black bug with Empi 5s
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 15:33:42 pm »

Wow, this really made my day.. I love old survivor cars. Cool to see that your VW "spark" really has reignited, and that you are dusting of your old car again..  Good luck on the rebuild!!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 17:46:04 pm »

Cool! thats an awsome ride dude - I can't wait for the next update, I also love the fact that the club sticker is still in there  Cool

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Gregor/DFL

No comment...

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2006, 18:32:11 pm »

seems like good olīRick has been brainwashed by Bill and the Lounge Wink

1965 black bug with Empi 5s
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2006, 18:34:59 pm »

Youve got the bug again!  Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2006, 19:35:05 pm »

First of all, I want to thank everyone who replied. I will keep posting updates as they happen. I hope to get my body guy to come over next week and decide which way we're gonna head wth the body work. Overal the paint is still passable but it is rough in places.

So do you plan on just fixing the damaged portion and leaving everything else intact because after being washed the car actually looks quite presentable in that rear 2/3 shot . You might want to ditch that louvered firewall though. Wink Its also rather nuts that you hadn't seen the inside of your car for more years than I have been on this earth. 21 years on the 29th....haha

That is very cool, Rick. Thanks for sharing and good luck!!

The current plan is to leave it as original as possible. Obviously the hood and apron are shot. The quarter panel we're not sure. I may keep the firewall as it usefull in keeping my forearms clean shaven!  Grin

Oh and thanks for make me feel older than dirt!  Tongue   Cheesy

Is that what they call unearthing!!! Keep us posted on the progress!!! Car looks bitchin!!!!

LOL... well I told Bill yesterday that I felt like an Archeaologist!

Rick

Glad to see you turn the page and remove the cover, shes a gem, get her on the road thats where she belongs, good luck and hope the car brings your son into our passion as well.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Regards

Russell

I dunno about my son... he's got his eyes on my '26 Roadster! Of course Just as long as he gets the car bug... even if it's the import tuner bug, I'd be happy.

Wow-thatīs amazing. Hope that the car will be on the road again in the future! Please keep us updated-very interesting to get the impression of wrenching a "genuine"Cal Looker back to life! At least you have the mental support of all guys being around on the Lounge Grin

Thanks! I'm planning on keeping you guys in the loop to keep my motivation up and get some ideas.

Cool! thats an awsome ride dude - I can't wait for the next update, I also love the fact that the club sticker is still in there  Cool

As far as I know, it's one of 2 surviving & original DKK club cars. The other is Greg Brinton's black '67.

seems like good olīRick has been brainwashed by Bill and the Lounge Wink

Bill has been trying to brainwash me for years!  Cheesy

Everytime I'd see him, one of 2 questions would come up.

1. "When are you gonna do something with your bug?"

2. "When are you gonna do something with your notchback?"

Part of it too, is the untimely passing of Mark Herbert... while I was never close to Mark, he was part of the circle of friends I hung out with. His passing made me realize that we don't get any "extra" days and time is running out. Plus several other things are coming together to make it happen.

Youve got the bug again!  Grin

The Bug never left... it's just been out in the carport!  Grin

Rick

Russell

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2006, 21:47:49 pm »

"we don't get any "extra" days and time is running out."

Rick

Never a truer word said, never put off until tomorrow if can be done today. Our lifes are all very short in real terms and we should enjoy them to the full.

Good luck with the car and get your son into VW's what  a great inheritance he has coming in many many years !

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
ESH

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2006, 22:17:42 pm »

Really cool stuff, looking forward to seeeing more of this as it comes back. Good luck with it and keep on posting, thanks.  Smiley
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 05:24:52 am »

hey Rick- looks like a strong car, ready to see the light of day again! Survivor cars are cool, but even cooler are guys that were around back then and are still into it now.

Let me know if you need an extra arm to get shaved by that firewall! Wink

See ya-
JIM

Oh ya... you'll definately be in on the fun! I'm gonna need a lot to get this going. My goal is to have it at the Classic next year. I figure my body guy will probably have it until the end of the year.

I'm gonna be going through and replacing a lot of stuff. All the rubber is pretty much shot... the front and rear glass and weatherstrip were originals. The windshield was bashed by my head during the crash. (Can you say concusion!) I had replaced all the rubber on the doors and the original stationary rear quarter glass were replaced with pop-outs while I was driving it.

I wanna put a new beam on the front with drop spindles. It's got Type 3 disc brakes on it that I did before you could buy kits so I put it together myself. It was lowered by pulling all the split leaves and one big leaf out of eace tube. Trans will be gone through and I'll probably go to rear disc brakes. I was actually in the process of aquiring the parts to do it back in the day. Motor is gonna have to be all new as the orignal is long gone. I was supprised to find some of the bits and pieces inside it though. Offset fan housing, cylinder tin and some suporting tin along with some CB Empi knockoff valve covers.. all painted to match the body. Trans will be gone through completely.. for the first time!  Smiley I'd like to go 5-speed but that my be a project for later on. The interior is in suprsingly good condition. I may not need to do too much to it.

Tim C

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 14:13:18 pm »

Love it - what a cool story and what a cool car. Good work!  Cool

JG54 Greenhearts
Dave Galassi

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 14:19:16 pm »

A great story!  It will interesting to follow the rebuild. 
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2006, 22:57:23 pm »

Rememer when I said earlier in the thread that things were coming together to make my project a reality?

Well I pulled the car out on Saturday. Sunday night, an original paint, Savanna Beige '67 hood was put into the ads on "The Samba." I found the ad yesterday (Monday) called the guy and I bought the hood today. And get this, the guy lives no more than 15 miles from me.

So now the hood is in the back of my Jeep!

I'm happier than a pig in slop!  Grin

Now the only thing I need is an apron.

Rick

Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2006, 19:36:05 pm »

Keep going Rick,

Good luck for the Apron, I'm sure you'll get one soon...

You can't imagine how cool it is for me to see that Cars like yours still exist and are about to hit the Road again!!!

Friendly,

Frank

PS: Remember, If've got a Lisence Plate Surround you can use if you Want!!! Wink Grin Grin Grin

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2006, 20:08:06 pm »

Tongue~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <-- That's what we in the states call a "raspberry!"  Wink

Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2006, 20:10:26 pm »

Hmmm Grin Grin Grin

I was serious about the Frame... Wink Remember your statement: Carefull boy... I'll bash you with my cane!  Grin Grin Grin

Frank
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 20:13:25 pm by Frank LUX » Logged

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 23:46:00 pm »

Time for an update... first I bought wheels from Shubee...

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 00:05:02 am »

And a clip from Luke (Ideaman)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: