The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 20:02:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350866 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Doug Mische's Old School GHIA...Did it make it to the Classic today?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Doug Mische's Old School GHIA...Did it make it to the Classic today?  (Read 22487 times)
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2009, 11:55:40 am »

Also, if in the beginning the enthusiasts were young people finishing their studies or working for smaller wages the situation is different today. Today's young enthusiasts aren't typically interested in originally slow, cold and strange looking car with air-cooled engine, which you cannot use as daily driver in colder climate if you've invested any serious money to it. They tend to choose different type of hot car. So, today's Cal Look enthusiasts aren't kids that are broke but middle aged guys having steady job/career/etc, so why should their cars look like some minimum wage kid flipping burgers for living built in his back yard?

I couldnt agree more.

who you calling middle aged  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
[/quote]

That`ll be us Ron... Wink Grin
[/quote]

Hey I'm 39 years young  Grin

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2009, 21:18:33 pm »

cheers richie,uk
Zack,

Born in 1981??? That explains things better.  :-)

In talking with Doug,...he gave me the impression that someone had done an inexpensive repaint on the car.

Rick M

Rick,you are correct they had,it was quite nasty looking,but it got a few hours hard work by Russell and became presentable Smiley

Yep, 1981. About one generation too late.

I know it has had a repaint since Doug got it back, what I meant was that it still had it's original paint when it was featured in 1977. It does look quite presentable again Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2009, 21:24:19 pm »

cheers richie,uk
Zack,

In talking with Doug,...he gave me the impression that someone had done an inexpensive repaint on the car.

Rick M

Rick,you are correct they had,it was quite nasty looking,but it got a few hours hard work by Russell and became presentable Smiley

I know it has had a repaint since Doug got it back, what I meant was that it still had it's original paint when it was featured in 1977. It does look quite presentable again Wink
It hasn't been repainted since Doug (or Russell) got it back.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2009, 22:34:58 pm »

Keith is right.  It has not been painted since Doug got it back.  Doug mentioned that his painter thought that someone had thrown an inexpensive paint job on it while it was missing.  Great to see Russell revive it. Was hoping to make the classic and EB3 this year but have to take my daughter Shanna back to Purdue for post graduate studies. She's headed to med school.

Hope to see you guys next year at Classic and possibly EB4.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2009, 00:31:04 am »

cheers richie,uk
Zack,

Rick M

It hasn't been repainted since Doug (or Russell) got it back.

Yes! That's what I mean to say! Doug got it with original paint, it was stolen, painted again, and then Doug got it back.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Russell

« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2009, 15:18:19 pm »

the whole car has not been repainted as the bonnet DKP badge has never been removed....

Best Regards

Russell
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: